Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:12 am 

Cool video...Notice how he's sporting a Twins T-shirt while performing in Mini Apolis. What a trooper!

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:30 am 

Tanuki is back and I'm the happiest man in town. Welcome back mate!

It's the dawn of descending...

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:15 pm 

Word to that! I was actually getting worried about his well-being, what with the long absence/extended break. Welcome back, tanuki(d)! (Also noticed robotiq is only a few away from the fabled 500 club, so felicitations!)

Tanuki
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:58 pm 

Thank you both! I'm really touched that people remember me. I'm glad to be back, and excited to start writing again. Looks like I've got some catching up to do!

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:22 am 

I know this is rather random (or shoehorned), but I just discovered the most sardonic website of them all. Besides, this is technically about "music":

https://joyenergizer.com/50-really-awfu ... -volume-6/

(It's nice to be able to laugh once again in such a topsy-turvy crackpot World. I even looked up the German Torment (cow) offender, albeit out of a whole bunch of Torments. What the heck?!)

Also, nice Aquilla review, spook, yet another album I would review if it wasn't for the fact I pretty much already summed up the Japanophile space lads' gist on more than once occasion.

naverhtrad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:46 pm 

Gotta say that the reviews of New Organon by nightbreaker33 and BastardHead are making me downright hopeful. Sounds to me like it's a real return to form for TLWSF after Digital Resistance; I'll have to keep an eye out for it at ye olde record shoppe...

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:04 am 

Pretty stoked there is a new Sumerlands record out (even if I sincerely wish Summer and its sunny fireball companion would just fuck off already and make way for a refreshing Autumn). Although, from what I've heard, it's a bit of step down so far, much like Maitre Sauvage's latest.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:54 am 

Hell yeah, a new CHAIRTHROWER Hercules review after what? 3 years? It has the same score as mine too. Was that your favourite Hercules album? On VH, do you mean Van Halen? VH for a sauce name?? Hahaha that's very weird. It sounds like a toxic chemical product.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:44 pm 

Ooh, tough question. Whilst I believe Metal Legend takes the golden palm as far as H-Man's most developed and skillful enterprise, still fondly hark back to 2019's reiteration of Victory (the one without bare-naked Adonis gracing cover) as most outright rock n' roll-ish affair. I would also recommend it over latter gem, to first time Herculeans. That said, in terms of concept album, this one will be a challenge to beat...like old shoe leather.

As well, I think the A+ score is justified, simply for effort and perseverance alone - in same manner as Haunt now deserving of high level of r-e-s-p-e-c-t. (I dug your clever hangman innovation in yonder review.)

Plus, it goes without slaying I'm noggin over feet about a prospective fourth Ambush album, and simply cannot stop playing "Soldier's Poem" over and over again.

Nb It's been too long since I last dipped eggrolls into yummy (non comely educator skirt chasing, nor frozen treat vendor pandering) VH plum sauce.

Forever Underground
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:21 am 

Ok I don't know if there is a post for this but I'm very happy because I got my first hate email for one of my reviews, and I say I'm happy because who sent it to me is an Arghoslent fan angry at me for calling them mediocre, he called me slurs and said that my opinion about the riffs don't matter because I'm not white and I've been laughing for almost twenty minutes.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:28 am 

Amazing, I might have to check if he wrote also to me while he was at it :lol:

Edit: he didn't, maybe he didn't notice... or he gave me a free pass assuming I'm white. Just kidding, but some people are incredible...

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:58 pm 

Holy shit that's the most reviews by a single person in one day I've ever seen.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:52 am 

Forever Underground wrote:
Ok I don't know if there is a post for this but I'm very happy because I got my first hate email for one of my reviews, and I say I'm happy because who sent it to me is an Arghoslent fan angry at me for calling them mediocre, he called me slurs and said that my opinion about the riffs don't matter because I'm not white and I've been laughing for almost twenty minutes.

"I listen to Arghoslent because of the amazing riffs", they say. "I don't care about the politics", they say...

I've gotten review hate mail before (from my Bandcamp page's contact form because my profile doesn't have an email), but never any as spicy as that.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:19 am 

And now, for a healthy dose of classic nwthom cheese:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZZkJ8t ... FullAlbums

(Ok, so the vox are way over topside, but that main riff! Golly...)

robotiq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:45 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
(Also noticed robotiq is only a few away from the fabled 500 club, so felicitations!)

I'm now on 499 - so I need to think of a record that I care enough about to celebrate the milestone.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:10 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ope/277680

Another review of a classic with a pointless history lesson attached. We should have these banned, tbh.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:08 am 

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Black_Sabbath/Black_Sabbath/482/Dying_Hope/277680

Another review of a classic with a pointless history lesson attached. We should have these banned, tbh.

Eh. The review itself is alright, but the reviewer in question should've kept the history portion more brief and focused more on the music itself.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:52 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... wer/627009

Phantomreviewer, with all due respect, I cannot agree with you on giving this album a 10%. I don't find this album as "by-the-numbers" melodeath, but rather a rather intriguing album that better than the last one Amon Amarth released. Also, may I remind you of another melodeath album that came out around this time that is more deserving of a 10%?

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:23 am 

Slater922 wrote:
Phantomreviewer, with all due respect, I cannot agree with you on giving this album a 10%. I don't find this album as "by-the-numbers" melodeath, but rather a rather intriguing album that better than the last one Amon Amarth released. Also, may I remind you of another melodeath album that came out around this time that is more deserving of a 10%?

Says Slater, who has given 5 of the last 10 albums he's reviewed 95%... :roll:

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:34 am 

Speaking of Slater, I checked his Intestine Baalism review and...

Quote:
The guitars play some buzzing raw riffs in the vain of Swedish death metal bands like Entombed and Grave.

I think you meant 'vein' instead, no? :p

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:26 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Slater922 wrote:

gas woke up and chose violence

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:18 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Slater922 wrote:

Why you have to do me like that, gas?
:oh shit:

colin040 wrote:
Speaking of Slater, I checked his Intestine Baalism review and...

Quote:
The guitars play some buzzing raw riffs in the vain of Swedish death metal bands like Entombed and Grave.

I think you meant 'vein' instead, no? :p

Yeah, I sometimes get vain and vein switched up a lot. Not really sure why that's the case, but it doesn't really matter in the long run, considering the point I was making was that the guitar style was in the vein of Entombed and Grave.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:29 pm 

I really agree with the sentiment of kluseba's recent The Halo Effect review, but the language he uses to describe the generic music is just so... generic. This dude's been writing reviews for... over 10 years now, wow.

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:54 pm 

Kluseba is far from a good reviewer.

BastardHead wrote:
Stop mathing art

naverhtrad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:46 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
I really agree with the sentiment of kluseba's recent The Halo Effect review, but the language he uses to describe the generic music is just so... generic. This dude's been writing reviews for... over 10 years now, wow.

Yup. This has been my experience with kluseba's reviews.

On the one hand, he reviews a lot of stuff that I like. And he reviews it in a way that I can agree with in the broad strokes... most of the time. (Loudness is one notable exception.) But on the other hand, his writing is so nondescript that it's hard to come away with an impression of the music as he describes it.

Ex El Ex El Ex wrote:
Kluseba is far from a good reviewer.

Hmm. He is remarkably prolific, and his tastes are admirably broad. But he certainly puts quantity over quality, let's put it that way.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:33 am 

He's pretty damn bad. Does anyone remember his review for Scream Bloody Gore? :lol:

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:59 am 

Slater922 wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Slater922 wrote:

Why you have to do me like that, gas?
:oh shit:

Haha well actually I see where you're coming from about the Amon Amarth. It's not as bland as all that, even if it may not be their best. But using the range of scores works differently for everyone. I mean, you gave that Arch Enemy 50%...

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:11 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Haha well actually I see where you're coming from about the Amon Amarth. It's not as bland as all that, even if it may not be their best. But using the range of scores works differently for everyone. I mean, you gave that Arch Enemy 50%...

In my review scoring sheet, a 50% would be an average album. Not good, but also not terrible. It's like in the middle of the musical quality spectrum, and in Arch Enemy's case, the album was extremely bland and average, and I probably could've gave it a lower score for being too generic and by-the-numbers, but the 50% does fine in that particular case.

Lee Harrison
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:01 am 

Slater great review of Vothana

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Vothana/Sâu_bệnh_-_Pestilence/1031514/Slater922/853070

Im a fan of that bands but i miss last album

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:29 am 

While I've no issue with el klucebo's oft amusing writing - remember, MA is just one of his many literary ventures - am still smarting over his C- graded Ambush_Infidel review. (Look at the band pic, buddy is giving the finger in response). Again, the multi variety of eccentric contributors to the site only serves to heighten its mercuriality. As he gleans these jarring quips, permission is granted to tsk-tsk them to Sumerlands and beyond...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:19 pm 

There's a section of this review of A New Kind of Horror by Anaal Nathrakh that I feel the need to highlight for how much it shows the author was just not paying attention while listening to the album. Remember too that this review gave the album an 85%. Doesn't feel like it reading this.

Quote:
Then there is "Forward!". Lead single, to which they have even published lyrics(!). It is a controversial track, for a number of reason. One is cartoon-like spooky intro sounds, which are hard to be taken seriously. Two is dominance of rhythmic core riffing, without any black metal roots whatsoever. Three is lyrics, which seem odd, comparing to everything we are used to. The most audible word is "Christmas" and there was an impression the track could as well be named "Jingle Balls". Even after reading and actually understanding its lyrics, the context and the intention of authors, the amount of uncertainty and cringe it generates is a serious backlash on the first impression of the album.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:45 am 

Slater922 wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:

In my review scoring sheet, a 50% would be an average album. Not good, but also not terrible. It's like in the middle of the musical quality spectrum, and in Arch Enemy's case, the album was extremely bland and average, and I probably could've gave it a lower score for being too generic and by-the-numbers, but the 50% does fine in that particular case.

Yeah, I have no problem with 50% in general, even if you end up with 2 categories of albums: "50% and blah" or "50% and disappointing". I mean that you suggested the other dude give 10% to it. But we are long past that in this chat series lol

Subrick, what is the reason that shows he wasn't listening? I don't know the album really.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:32 am 

It read to me like the author completely misunderstood what the song was about, even after they dug deeper and actually learned what it is about. That’s just how that passage came across to me, though; I might be completely misreading what they were saying.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:32 pm 

Holy crap! I can't get over how much of a mixed bag the reviews are for Megadeth's latest. I'm about to listen to it now, see what all the fuss is about...

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:04 pm 

8 reviews for the latest Megadeth album in one day?! Now that's pretty bonkers, that's for sure!

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:23 pm 

I looked at the track listing of that Austrian Death Machine album after reading the review and just noticed the cover of Killing is my Business. The jokes you could get from that are arguably funnier than the actual record.

Lee Harrison
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:52 am 

One became mad reading the reviews of last Megadeth album,you can find 20 or 95% or 60 ,shit or superb album…

Wow

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:26 pm 

What does that mean?

Demon Fang
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:52 pm 

It certainly has been getting some rather mixed reception across the board so far. But what'll be more interesting is whatever comes over the next couple of weeks.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:34 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I looked at the track listing of that Austrian Death Machine album after reading the review and just noticed the cover of Killing is my Business. The jokes you could get from that are arguably funnier than the actual record.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 482, 483, 484, 485, 486  Next