Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:01 am 

Dishumanized: you need more description. Reading your review, I don't know what Slayer sound like at all, except compared to themselves. Imagine someone isn't that familiar with Slayer reading your review - what would they want to know?

Dishumanized
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:28 am 

Thanks to you all. I posted a new review and took your suggestions into account. Let's see if it gets approved this time :-)

greetings from Austria

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:41 am 

I can think of potential talking points for reviews, but I can't seem to turn those thoughts to prose. My mind becomes blank whenever I try to turn my raw feelings into a sentence and structured paragraphs.

How do I fix this problem?

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:11 am 

The simplest thing that comes to my mind - and is probably my cure for everything :lol: - is just... reading more reviews? Especially from different users. Seeing how each of them had their own way of describing things helped me a lot, and now it feels way more natural. At least it worked for me.

It's the dawn of descending...

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:14 am 

I read reviews all the time. Doesn't help.

recyclage wrote:

thePowermetalLynx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:45 am 

I would say, just sit down and force yourself to start writing, even if it’s a first paragraph. It’s my usual take when I’m reviewing an average album that sort of strikes a chord within me but I don’t have anything too definite in mind. Just start on that random aspect that first come to mind, and work from there. Also, I usually writes a track-by-track review for the draft, then start piecing them together. Keep on playing the album in the background as you write might help as well, or maybe that’s just me.

Also seconding Burning’s opinion, read other’s reviews, especially the ones by experienced reviewers , and see what they write. Note their language, their point of views, their references and such. Don’t just ,,read them all the time”. Reflect. If you like a reviewer, ask yourself why you like them, what is it in the way that they describe things that attracts you, how is it that they express ideas better, more efficient or more witty than you do. Then imitate. It’s the same for every form of writing.

Old School is the only School

Consistency is a Virtue
Repetition is a Sin

Call me Shirley or Lynxie

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:05 am 

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:
I can think of potential talking points for reviews, but I can't seem to turn those thoughts to prose. My mind becomes blank whenever I try to turn my raw feelings into a sentence and structured paragraphs.

This is a problem I've experienced a lot, but one thing I do to get myself to review is planning in advance. By re-listening to an album and writing a list of the things I want to talk about, it makes it easier for me to type it since I already know what I want to say.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:44 am 

Maybe you are one of those people who could talk about the album better than you could write about it? Read some of Caspian's reviews, that's exactly what they feel like, just a dude talking, often without that much structure. Record a 5 minute voicenote first if that helps.

robotiq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:32 pm 

Literally just type whatever comes out of your head. Don't think about it, don't edit it. Just write all your thoughts about the record down until you've run out of thoughts. Put them into arbitrary paragraphs if you want, but don't put any thought into that either.

The leave it, come back a day or two later and edit/structure it.

Writing and editing are two different brain processes, one of them is a 'left hemisphere' activity, the other is a 'right hemisphere' activity. It is a waste of time trying to do them both simultaneously.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:52 am 

Writing can allow you to just emote first, then structure & edit later. I would suggest just writing in a stream of consciousness, spare no expense at just pouring out every word. Your punctuation, thoughts and prose could all be an embarrassing dumpster fire but once you have exhausted all the thoughts you could possibly muster, then you could string those words/thoughts into a more cohesive process. It will be a little taxing at first but it helps a lot of writers not just make themselves better but it also lets beginners know if writing is even in the cards.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:03 am 

robotiq wrote:

Literally just type whatever comes out of your head. Don't think about it, don't edit it. Just write all your thoughts about the record down until you've run out of thoughts. Put them into arbitrary paragraphs if you want, but don't put any thought into that either.

This worked. I'm gonna edit my writing down when I wake up and submit today. Thanks.

recyclage wrote:

robotiq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:37 pm 

Glad that it worked. Splitting the draft/edit tasks makes everything much easier.

The other thing I'd say is that the old "kill your darlings" advice is really important. It is important for pretty much any type of writing, even reviewing.

terrr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:11 am 

robotiq wrote:

Writing and editing are two different brain processes, one of them is a 'left hemisphere' activity, the other is a 'right hemisphere' activity. It is a waste of time trying to do them both simultaneously.

This advice does not work for everyone. While for some people it really is the best to do that, others (such as myself) may find it much easier and more comfortable to write in a structured manner altogether. I'm glad it seems to have turned out okay for LHISFC though.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:25 am 

Yeah I usually tend to already have a rough structure in my mind too, so I'd never have thought of that advice.

Admittedly, I do a similar thing during the review challenge - initially I just put down sparse, haphazard notes and memos regarding points I'll elaborate later - although it's not my favourite way of writing. Interesting to read a different pov about that though.

robotiq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:37 am 

Having a structure is fine - and can work well.
My main point is more about separating the drafting process from the editing process, and recognising that they are different things. Drafting can be a fast and loose process, editing is much more time consuming.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:12 am 

Yeah any bystanders reading the current convo, do keep in mind that the actual process of writing is going to be different for everybody so it's a good idea to consider basically everything mentioned just in case the first one you try doesn't work. There is no correct answer. Extensive outlines can really help some people organize their thoughts, sticking to a rigid structure can be a great way to ensure you cover everything you want to cover, just banging something out with no planning can give a real off-the-cuff vibe that makes it easier to read. But the reason I shy away from giving advice myself is because I adhere to basically zero conventional wisdom. And that's not me bragging because I'm just so super cool and talented (I'm only truly happy with like 20% of my reviews, I just keep posting because other people seem to like it and I have a pathological need to yap all the fuckin' time), I just mean that I'm an awful person to try to emulate when it comes to the actual writing process. I don't like outlines because any time I've tried I've wound up with like 1000 words right off the bat and wound up focusing on so much granular detail that it became uninteresting (or paradoxically, very meandering because outlines are sparse by nature and my monkey brain sees blank space and starts adding bullshit to fill it). I don't like rigid structure because it feels very rudimentary and amateurish, like I'm sticking to the structure I was taught in school as an eight year old, plus I find approaching art with a scientific lens like that to be completely backwards and removes the magic of the art in the first place.

So the way I do it is most like the third way: I just map out ideas and points I want to make in my head while I listen, then I sit down and bang out the entire review in like an hour tops with no editing at all beyond basic proofreading, and even then I only do that because I need to reread it in full for a second time when I transfer it from my blog to MA when I'm adding the html tags. I can count on one hand the number of reviews that I stopped partway through and actually came back and finished later (only three of them, and I remember clearly that one of them was the Years of Decay review and that was only because my wife came home early and picked up dinner on the way home, so even then it was like a ten minute break to eat some pizza). This way works for me but I suspect it's absolutely dogshit advice for newbies.

robotiq's advice is actually good for the exact reasons he elucidated: it can be helpful to separate the writing and editing processes because they're two very different things. My advice is awful because I just ignore editing entirely, so I'm either a hypocrite if I suggest it or a bad influence if I don't. The point is that there is no correct answer and the only way to really figure out what works for you is to just give different methods a try until you find one you're comfortable with.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

thePowermetalLynx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:39 am 

I’m more of a mix in between, while my first draft tend to be a longass list of random points and thoughts I’d jotted down from the first few spins, my editing process starts as soon as I type the second draft into the computer. I ‘m the kind of person that will fiddle endlessly with a paragraph if I found my wordings ambiguous or my logic lacking. Though I might throw all cautions to the wind if I feel strong enough for an album. As far as structure goes, nowadays I don’t really have any, but I do remember seeing someone’s summary for hells’s review structure and I’d noted it for reference for when my line of thoughts is too cluttered up.

But yes, at the end of the day, writing is a personal thing, and there is no sure way and no formula. Any method that will help you to voice your opinions clearly is a good method.

Old School is the only School

Consistency is a Virtue
Repetition is a Sin

Call me Shirley or Lynxie

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:04 pm 

The review I was working got rejected for grammar/spelling problems. I've started working on fixing the grammatical errors on my own but I would like a second opinion:
Quote:
In a odd move, the noisegrind legends known as Anal Cunt once did a split with some unknown thrash metal band that is merely average at best. The Raunchous Brothers (who's name I'm gonna abbreviate as TRB for the rest of this review) may not be the worst band ever, but the gap between them and Anal Cunt in terms of the quality of music on display here should be apparent from even a casual first listen.

TRB's part of this E.P. consists of 1 punk song with thrash metal style drumming and two metal songs, but the metal songs are so repetitive and simplistic riff-wise that they hardly feel any different from any random punk song from the 70s. Even so, I wouldn't say it's bad music, just bland enough to be not good, while also not unbearable enough that you feel forced to shut it off immediately. This music lulls you into a state of passive indifference where you can't pay attention. The worse this gets is when at one point, an attempt is made to break up the monotony by introducing a shitty breakdown that changes the direction of the song so it can now focus on the guy shouting "offensive" lyrics in a quasi spoken word manner. A shitty "bluesy" solo that sounds like it's being played from a toy guitar or kazoo also arbitrarily rears it's fugly head in the middle of said breakdown. The best thing about what I've heard of TRB's music (just this split) is that it doesn't overstay it welcome, with none of the songs making it to the three minute mark.

Anal Cunt's half of this E.P. on the other hand, is yet another demonstration of the band's awesomeness during their peak in the mid 90s to the early 2000s. Seth Putnam's interpretation on extreme vocals are amongst the greatest. On this album he will either sound like someone being repeatedly being stabbed to death on a online death video or a alcoholic demon yelling at his wife. He is on par, or superior to, a lot of the big names you hear people gush about in mainstream pop and rock music. The guitar tone is frequently gloomy and sludgy sounding, which enhances the wonderfully directionless guitar noise and groovy hardcore riffs being played. The music, while primarily fast, is not afraid to also change into a slower tempo so you can be engrossed in these crushing chords, not unlike the best doom or sludge metal albums ever made. Combine this with blast beats or sometimes even backing vocals which repeatedly shout one or two words and you'll feel like you're listening to a punk rock SYMPHONY up in this bitch! The pure fuckin' ART on display here is certainly enough to get even the ghost of Claude Debussy to start moshing or headbanging!

recyclage wrote:

terrr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:42 pm 

The review I was working got rejected for grammar/spelling problems. I've started working on fixing the grammatical errors on my own but I would like a second opinion:
Quote:
In a odd move, the noisegrind legends known as Anal Cunt once did a split with some unknown thrash metal band that is merely average at best. The Raunchous Brothers (who's name I'm gonna abbreviate as TRB for the rest of this review) may not be the worst band ever, but the gap between them and Anal Cunt in terms of the quality of music on display here should be apparent from even a casual first listen.

TRB's part of this E.P. consists of 1 punk song with thrash metal style drumming and two metal songs, but the metal songs are so repetitive and simplistic riff-wise that they hardly feel any different from any random punk song from the 70s. Even so, I wouldn't say it's bad music, just bland enough to be not good, while also not unbearable enough that you feel forced to shut it off immediately. This music lulls you into a state of passive indifference where you can't pay attention. The worse this gets is when at one point, an attempt is made to break up the monotony by introducing a shitty breakdown that changes the direction of the song so it can now focus on the guy shouting "offensive" lyrics in a quasi spoken word manner. A shitty "bluesy" solo that sounds like it's being played from a toy guitar or kazoo also arbitrarily rears it's fugly head in the middle of said breakdown. The best thing about what I've heard of TRB's music (just this split) is that it doesn't overstay it welcome, with none of the songs making it to the three minute mark.

Anal Cunt's half of this E.P. on the other hand, is yet another demonstration of the band's awesomeness during their peak in the mid 90s to the early 2000s. Seth Putnam's interpretation on extreme vocals are amongst the greatest. On this album he will either sound like someone being repeatedly being stabbed to death on a online death video or a alcoholic demon yelling at his wife. He is on par, or superior to, a lot of the big names you hear people gush about in mainstream pop and rock music. The guitar tone is frequently gloomy and sludgy sounding, which enhances the wonderfully directionless guitar noise and groovy hardcore riffs being played. The music, while primarily fast, is not afraid to also change into a slower tempo so you can be engrossed in these crushing chords, not unlike the best doom or sludge metal albums ever made. Combine this with blast beats or sometimes even backing vocals which repeatedly shout one or two words and you'll feel like you're listening to a punk rock SYMPHONY up in this bitch! The pure fuckin' ART on display here is certainly enough to get even the ghost of Claude Debussy to start moshing or headbanging!

Some glaring ones: a odd move -> an odd move; who's name -> whose name; any random punk song -> a/some random punk song; the worse this gets is when > this gets worse when; so it can -> so that it can; it's fugly head -> its fugly head; the best thing about what I've heard of TRB's music -> the best part of TRB's music in this split; on the other hand, -> on the other hand (remove the comma); interpretation on extreme vocals -> interpretation of extreme vocals (I'd also replace the word "interpretation" with something like "style" or "form" here, but it's up to you); he will either sound -> he either sounds like (no need to suddenly change perspective); a online death video -> an online death video; a alcoholic demon -> an alcoholic demon; on par -> on par with; not unlike the best doom or sludge metal albums ever made -> (add a "this quality is" or merely "this is" to the beginning of this); combine this with -> combine this with the album's; backing vocals which repeatedly shout one or two words -> backing vocals repeatedly shouting one or two words;

Also, a tip: "a" comes before words that phonetically start with consonants, "an" comes before words that phonetically start with vowels.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:49 am 

Quoting most of terrr's annotations, may I add: [...]an attempt to break up the monotony is made by introducing[...] - it's always better not to split words that would clearly benefit from being placed one after the other, in this case all of those before the bold part, which indicates words that were moved.

You might even consider turning it into an 'active' sentence (e.g. 'This gets worse when, at one point, the band attempts...') if you want to be even clearer but I'd say it'd be fine as it is.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:35 am 

There are some spelling and grammar (mainly grammar) problems in the review, but I think more important is that the sentences just feel very loose sometimes. Someone reading through the review quickly to decide whether it's acceptable may find the logic blurry. To illustrate, here's an example, along with how you could change it:
"the gap between them and Anal Cunt in terms of the quality of music on display here should be apparent from even a casual first listen"

Some of these words are wasted, some are in awkward places, others are exaggerated. Firstly, you've already said "TRB may not be the worst band ever", so we expect the coming qualification that they still aren't very good. You don't need to overstate it. Of course you are comparing them musically, because you're writing a music review, so you can take out that part:
"the gap between them and Anal Cunt here should be apparent from even a casual first listen"

The part about "a casual first listen" is also exaggerated, while "apparent" can be combined without adding more verbs. I agree with Burning that it would be better to use more active expressions, so try stronger verbs or more straightforward statements:
"the gap between them and Anal Cunt here is immediately apparent"

That would more or less be enough, though it still seems a bit wordy. So you could end up with:
"Anal Cunt's dominance here is immediately apparent"

Beside that, I would suggest you avoid moments of colour that add nothing special to the review. For instance, the long passage where you are trying to quantify just how bad TRB's songs are; instead, you could say what they do poorly and make others understand the quality problems. Describing Putnam's vocals has the opposite difficulty: you say they are awesome but then describe them in ways that I personally would find very unattractive to listen to. The reference to Debussy makes no sense either. When you are reading back the review, try to ask yourself whether you need each part, that might help give a bit of focus to the writing.

Anatomy_Malta
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:19 am 

Exactly after Dan Lilker left Anthrax, Nuclear Assault had formed. This delicious debut has amazing thrashers and guitar solo's that sound like chainsaws are ripping through your body, not to mention John Connelly's amazing vocals, which will rip the remaining parts of your body.

This album kicks off with the short instrumental track ''Live Suffer Die'' which sort of feels like an interlude to the chaos this album soon will unleash.

''Sin'' the first real song, is awesome. One of the best vocal work on the album, and great lyrics and atmospherical musicality.
''Cold Steel'' is a good song too. ''Betrayal'', despite having only one verse, still manages to kick butt, and is one of the best vocals on the entire NA discography. ''Stranded In Hell'' has one of the best choruses on the album, and very catchy guitar riffs that can't help, but, kick butt!
''Nuclear War'' Is one of the Top 3 best songs on the album. I love the lyrics and the solo. The riff is amazing as well.
''Vengeance'' is different, it's kinda punky, but it's still a great song, but i feel like it's overlooked and underrated.

''Brain Death'' is one of the best songs on here. It's the longest Nuclear Assault song too. There's cool riffs, even though it's sometimes repetitive, it's so good you probably would'nt give two shits. it's the closer too.

Overall I highly recommend the band and album. Highlights Include: Sin, Cold Steel, Betrayal, Radiation Sickness, After The Holocaust, Stranded In Hell, Nuclear War, My America, Vengeance, Brain Death.

TLDR: The album is ok and the band is good.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:25 am 

Anatomy_Malta, your review was probably rejected because it's a track-by-track review. The rules say that you should not write this kind of review, but instead try to describe the music in general, using examples from some songs when necessary. The reader doesn't need to know what your ranking of the songs is, they want to read some description to help them know what the album will sound like, how the musicians blend together, and whether there are highlights can be a small part of that. Currently, there's a lot of work to do, the review is also very short and lacks detail. I suggest you read some other reviews before re-writing this.

pure fucking metal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:48 pm 

Hey everyone, I wrote a review but unfortunately, it's been rejected. I'd love to get some tips.

Cobracide - Inner Agression (EP)
75%

Cobracide is an upcoming thrash/death metal band from Belgium. I think this EP shows how much potential this band has. Only having released one EP, they already developed a recognizable sound that I really love. Their sound is old school and takes me back to the early thrash days, yet giving it the youthfulness it needs to make the sound their own. The riffs are smashing, heavy and of course thrashy. These riffs combined with the haunting screams of their lead singer are what make this EP great. Furthermore, the bass is very present. This is something that is often left out by many thrash metal bands. On the drums, there are no shortcomings either. The drummer easily keeps up with the fast-paced tempo of their songs. Multiple drumming variations during each song are what make this EP sound like they’ve been making music like this for years.

Sure, this band isn’t all great and they definitely need to work on a few things. But this EP sets off an amazing debut and demonstrates that this band yet has to create their best work, which is when they will peak. One of their main ‘issues’ is that they are still young, which is why their work can be chaotic sometimes. I blame this on youthful sloppiness. Also, the screams of their lead singer are nice and steady, but it could be improved, which only time and experience will teach him. He masters the fry screaming technique and effortlessly holds on to more high-pitched screams. Although these screams are rough, they need more variation if they want to make themselves known in the death metal genre.

I also saw them live a few months ago. I must say they were really nice and energetic, but they still need to work on their stage presence. First of all, it needs to be more dynamic. Moreover, they need to work on standing more relaxed on stage and not making it seem as if they are doing everything in their power to nail their solo.
I just want to add that they involved the public in their performance and played their EP even better and heavier than the studio version.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:38 am 

pure fucking metal wrote:
Hey everyone, I wrote a review but unfortunately, it's been rejected. I'd love to get some tips.

Cobracide - Inner Agression (EP)
75%

Cobracide is an upcoming thrash/death metal band from Belgium. I think this EP shows how much potential this band has. Only having released one EP, they already developed a recognizable sound that I really love. Their sound is old school and takes me back to the early thrash days, yet giving it the youthfulness it needs to make the sound their own. The riffs are smashing, heavy and of course thrashy. These riffs combined with the haunting screams of their lead singer are what make this EP great. Furthermore, the bass is very present. This is something that is often left out by many thrash metal bands. On the drums, there are no shortcomings either. The drummer easily keeps up with the fast-paced tempo of their songs. Multiple drumming variations during each song are what make this EP sound like they’ve been making music like this for years.

Sure, this band isn’t all great and they definitely need to work on a few things. But this EP sets off an amazing debut and demonstrates that this band yet has to create their best work, which is when they will peak. One of their main ‘issues’ is that they are still young, which is why their work can be chaotic sometimes. I blame this on youthful sloppiness. Also, the screams of their lead singer are nice and steady, but it could be improved, which only time and experience will teach him. He masters the fry screaming technique and effortlessly holds on to more high-pitched screams. Although these screams are rough, they need more variation if they want to make themselves known in the death metal genre.

I also saw them live a few months ago. I must say they were really nice and energetic, but they still need to work on their stage presence. First of all, it needs to be more dynamic. Moreover, they need to work on standing more relaxed on stage and not making it seem as if they are doing everything in their power to nail their solo.
I just want to add that they involved the public in their performance and played their EP even better and heavier than the studio version.

Probably the key thing is that it all feels a bit too general. The first paragraph is not bad but compartmentalizes the band's sound into Instrument A, Instrument B, etc. The second and third paragraphs don't add much about the sound of this record. While you could mention these comments about the band being young and needing a better live presence in passing, the main points should all be about how this album sounds. When you talk about "thrashy riffs", what sort of thrashy? Any bands you could compare with? You also mention the singer does death metal vocals, what is the balance of thrash and death? Which songs stand out? Are the songs repetitive or varied? Mention examples and go into detail, that's what will get the review accepted. Your writing itself is not a problem.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105