Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
naverhtrad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:23 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I looked at the track listing of that Austrian Death Machine album after reading the review and just noticed the cover of Killing is my Business. The jokes you could get from that are arguably funnier than the actual record.

Killing Is My Business... But Who's Buying?

(... we know the answer to this one)

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:33 am 

Speaking of which, I just had a crazy, technicolor dream where I was at some non-descript Heavy Metal GT (whilst being homeless again in Hongkouver, the only really scary part) and, standing at the back, I ruefully inquired who'd heard the new Megadeth album and was met with a chorus of groans and boos, fueled by booze. Good times!

As well, I haven't even listened to it yet, as some joker on jackasstube posted a purely hip hop release under its guise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qky4RWa ... sicArchive

Btw twist, the vid game nostalgia from your Danzig review was definitely not lost on me!

Last edited by CHAIRTHROWER on Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:29 am 

Demon Fang wrote:
It certainly has been getting some rather mixed reception across the board so far. But what'll be more interesting is whatever comes over the next couple of weeks.

Spoiler alert, mine is gonna be closer to the lower scores. But, I need some more listens before I crank a review out.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:14 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
As well, I haven't even listened to it yet, as some joker on jackasstube posted a purely hip hop release under its guise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qky4RWa ... sicArchive

I like this new Cypress Hill phase of MegaDave, hope he'll stick to it.

It's the dawn of descending...

Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:36 pm 

Sweetie wrote:
Demon Fang wrote:
It certainly has been getting some rather mixed reception across the board so far. But what'll be more interesting is whatever comes over the next couple of weeks.

Spoiler alert, mine is gonna be closer to the lower scores. But, I need some more listens before I crank a review out.

Looking forward to it. I'm erring closer to a lower score since Dystopia was actually good and this was disappointing (Megadeth may be this year's Running Wild I guess), but generally find myself indifferent because the couple of listens I've had of it so far were just... well, this album happened.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:52 am 

As the commonwealth grieves for its fallen monarch, flags fly at half mast whilst trumpets blare forth to the beat of Pentagram's "Forever My Queen".

(Rest peacefully, Elizabeth.)

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:50 pm 

Demon Fang wrote:
Looking forward to it. I'm erring closer to a lower score since Dystopia was actually good and this was disappointing (Megadeth may be this year's Running Wild I guess), but generally find myself indifferent because the couple of listens I've had of it so far were just... well, this album happened.

It's up. Ended up hating it even more.

Also, all the homies hate monarchs ;)

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:26 pm 

Probably the same homies who dig Ice T's Megadeth contribution. Also, her death is still a big time World event, whether rooting for Her or not. I was hoping she'd at least live to be a hundred...

orphy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:42 pm 

I'm never gonna check out that new Megadeth album unless morbid curiosity somehow gets the best of me, but I'm loving the reviews trashing it. That being said, is it really worse than St. Anger, Sweetie?

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:28 pm 

The new Megadeth has its flaws but everyone shitting all over it is laughable. Move over St. Anger?? Really? Trashing Megadeth....the trendy thing to do. It would be different if the reviews trashing it were entertaining a la Bitterman.

There's a few fillers in there but some of these tracks are absolute rippers. It took me a few listens but it has grown on me. I'm not understanding this hate.

Like your reviews?

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:49 pm 

Anyone who thinks the latest Megadeth album is worse than St. Anger is out of their minds :eek:

orphy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:13 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
Trashing Megadeth....the trendy thing to do.

3 out of 8 of the reviews gave it a score above 90%, and 3 of them gave it a score below 35%. I wouldn't necessarily say trashing Megadeth is a trendy thing to do, as their albums have been pretty divisive among fans for a while now.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:29 pm 

Felix, nice one for Eruption! I am really curious now whether your wife's name begins with J or not.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:49 am 

Gasmask, thanks for your positive feedback. And of course, haha, metal fans do not lie: her name begins with J. (But she is not my wife - a situation that must be changed soon.)

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:20 am 

Oh cool, in that case I should wish you good luck/congratulations!
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:18 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
Move over St. Anger?? Really? Trashing Megadeth....the trendy thing to do. It would be different if the reviews trashing it were entertaining a la Bitterman.

Yeah, that's a load of schlock.

1) I wrote a review for St. Anger not even a month ago, and while it's just barely better, I still hit it pretty hard. It just had some potential that wasn't realized at all, where the latest Megadeth didn't. Go read both reviews and see why I think it's worse.

2) Anyone who knows me knows that I'm the last person to be "trendy". In fact, when I first joined the archives, I was sorta known for being contrarian.

3) As a band, I would never shit on Megadeth, just this album. Megadeth is my favorite band out of the Big 4, and Rust In Peace is my favorite album from any of the four bands collectively. Megadeth just happens to have put out the best AND worst album.

So miss me with that. You don't have to agree, but don't tell me my opinion is "wrong" or "trendy".

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:00 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Këkht_Aräkh/Pale_Swordsman/939593/Slater922/853070

As always(often)great review mr Slater

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:59 pm 

Good lord, another 6 Megadeth reviews coming in in a single day. Is there a record for the most reviews for a single album in a very short time?

Spoiler: show
Wait, I just remembered Penis Metal.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:48 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Good lord, another 6 Megadeth reviews coming in in a single day. Is there a record for the most reviews for a single album in a very short time?

Yeah I was coming here to comment on all of the Megadeth reviews just landing today. It's interesting that this one has provoked such a polarised reaction for what seems to me to be a pretty standard latter-day Megadeth album. A solid collection of scores between low 20s and high 90s, with no outliers at either extreme. I'd like to take a stab at it myself but I need a couple more listens to really solidify my thoughts, and then life gets busy for me from late September onwards, so we'll see if that materialises.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:16 am 

Deathdoom1992 wrote:
life gets busy for me from late September onwards

The death/doom season begins, I suppose.

Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:59 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

Wait, I just remembered Penis Metal.

Guys...

...what do you reckon if we all just up and did our own reviews of it?

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:15 pm 

The extreme polarization that always happens with albums like this fascinates me. I'm not motivated enough to review it and there are apparently enough to go around, but it's around the 65% ballpark for me. The writing isn't particularly memorable but like, it's... fine?

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:26 pm 

Arch Enemy's latest album has an 75% average on MA now.

Something isn't right...

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:43 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
The writing isn't particularly memorable but like, it's... fine?

I don't think it's fine, lol. Maybe I was a BIT hard on it for a low 20% but there's no way it's deserving of anything over 35%.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:39 pm 

This Megadeth album is pretty in one ear, out the other. Seems better than their last several I guess but it's just so plain.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:46 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
The death/doom season begins, I suppose.

:lol: :lol: Too right. Time to dig out Turn Loose the Swans and sequester myself.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:36 pm 

There couldn't be a more appropriate rating for a Cock and Ball Torture review than 69%.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:06 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
There couldn't be a more appropriate rating for a Cock and Ball Torture review than 69%.

It should be mandatory that every review on CBT should be a 69%.

Dishumanized
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:17 pm 

Hi

I would really appreciate if someone could help me. I would love to write reviews here, but they always get rejected. For example, i tried to post a review for Slayers Repentless several times, but it always gets rejected because “it’s annoying to read and poorly written in sense of grammar and formatting”. English is not my first language, so that may be the problem here.

Slayer without Jeff Hanneman and Dave Lombardo - can this work? Kinda yes, but kinda not!

The worts thing about this Album is the pacing! It starts off quite promising at first. The title track and “Take Control” are 2 solid fast bangers. But after that 4(!) midtempo songs follow, which in principle would have all fit on “Diabolus in Musica”. I find this completely incomprehensible because Kerry King is the most critical of that album.

Speaking of King, he (who composed over 90% of “Repentless” singlehandedly) is always at his best when he's writing fast stuff. He proves that with my personal Album highlight “You against You”. So why is there so many boring down tuned midtempo crap on this Album?

What I also don't understand at all is why the song “Atrocity Vendor” made it onto the Album. Too weak for “World Painted Blood” at the time, it was released as a B side. So why re-record an already released Song when Kerry boasted in interviews that at least 6 more Songs were already done??

Unfortunately the last piece of Music we will ever hear composed by the mighty Jeff Hanneman also cannot keep up with his own brilliant achievements from the past. His Song “Piano Wire” is also mostly based in mid tempo, and while more interesting and different - like many Hanneman-Tracks – it's mediocre at best.

Tom Araya sounds routine but also somehow tired and emotionless. Actually he sounds like a guy who is fulfilling his duty, and is waiting for his well deserved retirement. And while i loved Bostaphs drumming on “Divine Intervention” and “God Hates us All”, his performance on "Repentless" is again more like “Diabolus”, and I kind of hated his performance on that album and think that it is one of the reasons it is wildly considered their worst.

My last complain may be nitpicking, but I really don’t like the Name of the Album. Slayer have had so many great titles, even mediocre albums like “Diabolus”, “God Hates us All” or “Christ illusion” have those great and very fitting titles. I Think the Name "Repentless" sound awful, and it makes absolute no sense with the album art and imagery. For example, "Delusions of Savior" would have been a much more appropriate name.

Highlights are “Repentless”, “Take Control”, “You against You” and some superb Solos by Garry Holt.

Can someone tell me what I need to improve here?

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:34 pm 

There's a thread for this called The Review Feedback Workshop. Put it there.

Dishumanized
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:46 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
There's a thread for this called The Review Feedback Workshop. Put it there.

Thx

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:06 pm 

Big time props to twist for both his compact OZzy rundown and tipsily relegated spiel for Terres d'Ete's salient sophomore, a definite step in the right direction for those "city of brotherly" shove aspirants. By the way, yours truly is now PSC Natural Foods' latest employee, much to this long unemployed yegg's eternal merriment! (You could say I'm "deliverin' the foods"...)

Further great Killer Of Dreams spiels can be viewed and read at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dmZUPl ... V-AllMetal

on behalf of Smoulder's Sara Ann, she of the massive killer vinyl collection,

as well as good ole Steel Druhm's over at that cranky metal dude:

https://www.angrymetalguy.com/tag/dreamkiller/

(although he only rates it 60% i.e. 3/5, a conundrum much like his doubling over take on Satan's Infernal Earth)

*Also, I'm stoked to announce Dying Light lives up to its hype and then some as the most downright "metal-in-essence" thrill ride, liable to turn non gamers into gamers. (Diablo III also beckons as an accompanying cooldown, much needed after a Spell, which has an October release on the horizon.)

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:22 pm 

sunn_bleach is an interesting reviewer whose musical taste and coverage is very similar to my own. It is great to see them tackling an under-rated classic like "Two Hours to Doom", although this might not be one of the strongest sunn_bleach reviews (there is a little too much scene history and no mention of Carol, who were an important part of that history).

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:20 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 666/329559

Germany have awesome bands but Mavorim is one of better

Try split with Ad Mortem and again great review

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:49 am 

Holy shit!! Bonfire made it to the archives?! I'm honestly shocked...

Solid review of Don't Touch The Light, Bayern. Love that album.

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:36 pm 

Sweetie wrote:
Holy shit!! Bonfire made it to the archives?! I'm honestly shocked...

Solid review of Don't Touch The Light, Bayern. Love that album.

Yeah, I know...

but yes, the debut is a blast.

You knew about Cacumen, right?

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:09 pm 

I do, but haven't actually heard them yet.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:22 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... pasta_teitä_pimeässä/381237/Felix_1666/329559

Felix are my idol

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:59 am 

I so dig how NDB tackles super obscure and weird French black metal, and have now slotted "Christine" - the suicidal reporter, not murderous vehicle - as prime time feature tonight, after work, the good ole eight to four-thirty grind kind. (A tip of the hat to full time workers, as three days alone are plenty!)

Valandil_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:20 am 

Hello folks. Read some reviews. Some terrific – some not so good. Hells Unicorn, TrooperEd, Gasmask Colostomy Bag have some good takes, to name just a few. Too many to count. Oh yeah, there's an Orbitball, who encourages everybody to buy a hard copy of every album he/she likes. Strange is all I'll say.

Aiden's right about the intro to Megadeth's 'Captive Honour'. It's corny as bleep.

And, after mediocre crap like TBA, The Ritual, Sound of White Noise, and Force of Habit, Megadeth were about the only band who put out a competent record in '91-3. Overkill were still alright, as well. Yeah, all fans (in my neck of the woods) around that time were like, 'thank bleep for Megadeth, coz Metallica's gettin' worse.'

C.T.E. is more of an 8.4/10 for me. It still passes the 'drink 8 pints of Stella, and blast it through the speakers' test. That's the way to do it!

Last edited by Valandil_79 on Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 483, 484, 485, 486, 487, 488, 489 ... 520  Next