Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:34 am 

Thanks - it's a strong fucking album and luckily actually seems to be getting some renown these days.

robotiq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:52 pm 

These recent takes on classic old death metal albums are hurting my brain. No-one is obliged to like "Dark Recollections" or "Season of the Dead". I don't think either record is a masterpiece, but they're solid and important records that achieve exactly what they wanted to achieve.

The Carnage review lacks any reference to the massive punk influence in the old Swedish style (which is important regardless of whether the reviewer likes punk or not). Describing Fred Estby as playing 'Lombardo beats' makes no sense. He played punk-based beats. There was nothing jazzy, loose or Latin-influenced about his playing on that record.

As for Necrophagia, the review reads like someone who looked at the front cover and wrote a bunch of words based on what they saw. They criticise the production (which is pretty damn good). Then they criticise the musicianship (OK, the acoustic guitar isn't exactly Bert Jansch, but it works in the context of the song). Apparently, "It's rare a studio record has a guy who still can't play his instrument well". This is untrue, there are hundreds of records in most genres where the musicians are learning as they record.

It is fine to review records you dislike, in subgenres you dislike. It is also fine to review records without knowing the history or the context.
But I am not sure it is advisable to review a record you dislike and when you don't know the history surrounding that record or the subgenre.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:08 pm 

The fact that, in my heart, I already knew who the reviewer behind them was (and many others will, I'm sure) speaks volumes about how well received his writings usually are...

Although I find it strangely ironic that the 'repeating the same joke again and again until it's redundant' comparison he used on the Carnage one could be basically applied to his reviews - with arguably the only difference that they've never been funny.

It's the dawn of descending...

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:21 pm 

That Sonja writeup is a great one for sure, Emp. That second to last paragraph in particular is a brilliant summary of why I like Loud Arriver so much; I really do love how much Melissa's identity informs the album and how so much of the angry white dude understanding of "rebellion" feels like such shallow bullshit in comparison to what marginalized people go through when they're just trying to exist. In my opinion, metal's ongoing viability as a culture and art form absolutely hinges on bringing more diverse experiences like that to the forefront.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:32 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
That Sonja writeup is a great one for sure, Emp. That second to last paragraph in particular is a brilliant summary of why I like Loud Arriver so much; I really do love how much Melissa's identity informs the album and how so much of the angry white dude understanding of "rebellion" feels like such shallow bullshit in comparison to what marginalized people go through when they're just trying to exist. In my opinion, metal's ongoing viability as a culture and art form absolutely hinges on bringing more diverse experiences like that to the forefront.

Yeah, metal hasn't really been a hotbed for really marginalized, genuine rebelliousness like this - probably the dude-bro culture of some parts of it drives them away, but also it's just not really the most popular genre among younger, more progressive types of people all the time. It's nice to see something like this that really is a breath of fresh air for the style.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:57 pm 

It's especially nice to see Sonja shine in a subgenre as stylistically and politically conservative as traditional metal. I know there's slightly more representation in extreme metal and hardcore circles but with my tastes always leaning more melodic, I find myself wishing for more of it that I can actually sing along and air guitar to. It's also a big part of why I've been working on more overtly political lyrics for the next Lavaborne album.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:23 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
It's especially nice to see Sonja shine in a subgenre as stylistically and politically conservative as traditional metal. I know there's slightly more representation in extreme metal and hardcore circles but with my tastes always leaning more melodic, I find myself wishing for more of it that I can actually sing along and air guitar to. It's also a big part of why I've been working on more overtly political lyrics for the next Lavaborne album.

It's why Pharaoh and the John Cobbett/Slough Feg stuff is so often my go-to now - it's always seeming to come from a different angle even if it isn't explicitly political.

I do wish more bands were really rebellious in those genres, yeah. It's funny because when Sonja writes about things going to shit, I can relate and I know what they mean. Dave Mustaine writing screeds about the US decaying has a much nastier feel to me - a polar opposite really.

robotiq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:14 pm 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
The fact that, in my heart, I already knew who the reviewer behind them was (and many others will, I'm sure) speaks volumes about how well received his writings usually are...

Definitely capable of good stuff, today's "Roots" review is a case in point.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:12 pm 

I don't dispute the fact that, at the core, he's a decent writer, but he seems compelled to randomly jump from one subgenre to another, despite (as you promptly pointed out) severely lacking the background to do so in certain cases, and just throw out the first hot take that comes to his mind, as well as making sure to express it in the most pretentious way possible.

What I was saying is that the matter was already brought up in this thread several times - and if I remember correctly he also showed up for a quick answer once - but to no avail, so I guess we're pretty much accustomed to it, and I was already sure you were talking about him in your message. That's it. Dunno man, maybe I just spend too much time here.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:25 pm 

Another positive review for The Halo Effect's album. Now that confuses me enough, but then I saw the name of its author and got to wondering: how many negative reviews has hells_unicorn written for things that aren't nu metal/groove metal/alternative rock related? That guy seems to give uniformly positive scores to just about everything else. He even gave the latest Six Feet Under album a positive review and is the only one I've seen on this site so far to do so!

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:58 pm 

that new Kill Em All review wrote:
Bluegrass riff

Does this guy know how to apply musical terminology properly? I don't think so.

Other than that, his criticism of the album is just "it sounds young and immature and simplistic" because of its vocals and lyrics and guitar parts. I get the impression he wouldn't like a lot of traditional metal, or metal in general, really.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:43 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Another positive review for The Halo Effect's album. Now that confuses me enough, but then I saw the name of its author and got to wondering: how many negative reviews has hells_unicorn written for things that aren't nu metal/groove metal/alternative rock related? That guy seems to give uniformly positive scores to just about everything else. He even gave the latest Six Feet Under album a positive review and is the only one I've seen on this site so far to do so!

Hells had a reputation for a long time as a guy who just gave out 100% scores like they were candy on Halloween. I don't really think that's true anymore though. He's just old and happy to listen to music that he likes so he tends to stick with positive reviews is all.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

thePowermetalLynx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:23 am 

I do remember reading some really negative reviews hells did for Avantasia… he does hate it when power metal turns pop/rock.

I usually skip the ones he originally wrote for those magazines - most of them sounds too much like promotional materials to me; the works he’d written for the Archives are always the more fascinating reads.

Old School is the only School

Consistency is a Virtue
Repetition is a Sin

Call me Shirley or Lynxie

Lee Harrison
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:11 pm 

Storm of the light bane 63%

Lol I give up with reviews

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:09 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Hells had a reputation for a long time as a guy who just gave out 100% scores like they were candy on Halloween. I don't really think that's true anymore though. He's just old and happy to listen to music that he likes so he tends to stick with positive reviews is all.

It's tough being the old guy here. Where are Napero and Gutterscream to make me feel middle-aged again? :lol:

In all honesty, most of my early negative reviews were partly influenced by being constantly jabbed for being too positive, so I started targeting stuff that I absolutely hated, though most of it tends to be tied to sub-genres that I don't fancy as much as the stuff I grew up with. I don't regret what I wrote in those cases, but I might not have even bothered were it not for some playful banter that I maybe took a little too much to heart back in the late 2000s.

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

About 8-9% of my reviews are scored at a 50% or lower, and yeah, a lot of it is stuff tied to the trifecta of sub-genres that you listed (I have some negative power metal reviews, but most of it is targeted at specific bands that made very specific stylistic changes that didn't agree with my ears). Most of what I write for webzines tends to fall in the 65%-90% range, mostly because I get to choose what I review and the owners of those webzines have a different philosophy regarding how reviews are structured. There's no way I'd get away with trashing something to the extent that I did Roots or Vulgar Display Of Power on Sonic Perspectives, The Metal Observer, or any of the other sites that have recently hired me for the odd review or concert writeup.

The truth is, I've always been fairly easy to please when it comes to metal, particularly stuff that was outside of the American mainstream during my teens and early 20s, call it a sort of contrarian brand of positivity that I've continued carrying long after it was really relevant.

thePowermetalLynx wrote:
I do remember reading some really negative reviews hells did for Avantasia… he does hate it when power metal turns pop/rock.

I usually skip the ones he originally wrote for those magazines - most of them sounds too much like promotional materials to me; the works he’d written for the Archives are always the more fascinating reads.

Avantasia, Edguy and Sonata Arctica really lost a lot of their appeal to me circa the mid to late 2000s, largely because of how deeply I was enamored with the stuff they had put out prior and how jolting of a shift in direction it was. Most of the stuff I wrote for my band Ominous Glory's first album and the eventual 2nd and 3rd albums was directly influenced by what Tobias Sammet was putting out prior to Hellfire Club and The Scarecrow, so the abandonment of that older style was as much of an offense to me as The Black Album was to 80s thrash metal purists. I actually gave Avantasia's middle era albums another listen recently and though the original revulsion I felt wasn't as intense, I wouldn't change anything I said about those albums, they are truly awful to my ears. The latest stuff Avantasia has been putting out has been a fair bit better, but I don't think Sammet will ever recapture the magic of the original Metal Opera albums, having a core band consisting of titans like Markus Grosskopf, Henjo Richter and Alex Holzwarth is the sort of magical occurrence that doesn't happen twice.

You can look forward to more MA exclusives at the next review challenge, I've been a bit dormant of late because I've had a mountain of paying gigs doing concert write-ups for Bravewords and Metal Injection (the latter has been primarily as a ghostwriter) have been eating up most of my free time. It seems after 17 years of being a hobby writer that I have stumbled into becoming something of an actual music journalist. lol
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

thePowermetalLynx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:32 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Avantasia, Edguy and Sonata Arctica really lost a lot of their appeal to me circa the mid to late 2000s, largely because of how deeply I was enamored with the stuff they had put out prior and how jolting of a shift in direction it was. Most of the stuff I wrote for my band Ominous Glory's first album and the eventual 2nd and 3rd albums was directly influenced by what Tobias Sammet was putting out prior to Hellfire Club and The Scarecrow, so the abandonment of that older style was as much of an offense to me as The Black Album was to 80s thrash metal purists. I actually gave Avantasia's middle era albums another listen recently and though the original revulsion I felt wasn't as intense, I wouldn't change anything I said about those albums, they are truly awful to my ears. The latest stuff Avantasia has been putting out has been a fair bit better, but I don't think Sammet will ever recapture the magic of the original Metal Opera albums, having a core band consisting of titans like Markus Grosskopf, Henjo Richter and Alex Holzwarth is the sort of magical occurrence that doesn't happen twice.

Fair enough. I felt those changes were not bad per se, but then again my first Edguy album was Hellfire Club so the change was already coming around, and that one influenced my taste a lot. I’ve always just think of his later more hard rock-ish as interesting stylistic alternations; acceptable on its own but not much related to power metal.

Couldn’t care less for the later Avantasia albums though, Sammet should’ve stopped at the first two - most of his modern day works sound bleak but at least his outputs in Edguy are fun, even if it’s stupid fun.

hells_unicorn wrote:
You can look forward to more MA exclusives at the next review challenge, I've been a bit dormant of late because I've had a mountain of paying gigs doing concert write-ups for Bravewords and Metal Injection (the latter has been primarily as a ghostwriter) have been eating up most of my free time. It seems after 17 years of being a hobby writer that I have stumbled into becoming something of an actual music journalist. lol

Ah fun. It always a satisfying feeling to turn your hobby into your job. I’ll be looking forward to reading them then. Maybe I’ll throw in my own contribution if I could find time to type my drafts - the challenge always seems to conflict with my monthly exams lol.

Old School is the only School

Consistency is a Virtue
Repetition is a Sin

Call me Shirley or Lynxie

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:46 pm 

Loved autothrall's review for Deliverance's latest album. Listened to it earlier this week and enjoyed its more energized atmosphere.

Lee Harrison
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:11 pm 

Thank again Felix for make justice to Storm

After the meltdown

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:48 pm 

So I totally disagree with the sentiment of that new Loud Arriver review but the part about the guitar tone really ground my gears. I really liked the guitar sound on that album because it's a throwback to old, less distorted, cranked Marshall sort of sounds. Not the scooped, overly gainy, Mesa Rectifier scumbag tones that dominated early 2000s heavy music. Yet the reviewer calls the guitar tone "2000s".

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:25 pm 

Haven't heard the album but there's also a gratuitous jab to Enforcer which made me think. I though they were a fairly respected band (Zenith aside, of course).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:16 pm 

Never been into Enforcer myself, but yeah that Sonja review reads like he barely even gave a chance at understanding it - vague critiques, not very in depth review at all. Oh well.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:13 am 

It's a bit short. I know what that album sounds like but not because of his/her review. He/she prefers something 'hard as steel' and also dislkes Enforcer.
Not much else really I could make out.

Empyreal wrote:
but yeah that Sonja review reads like he barely even gave a chance at understanding it - vague critiques, not very in depth review at all. Oh well.

Ex member of Morbert Angel, Napalm Bert, Morbert Saint, Hobbs' Angel of Bert and guest vocals on Morbert Tales and Morbert Visions

Valandil_79
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:35 am 

Empyreal's review of Testament's Formation of Damnation, titled 'Music For Stupid People'. hahaha

I don't completely agree with those sentiments, but I kind of do. It's a winner for the funny title. lol

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:44 am 

People really latched onto that headline. I guess I never figured it was anything special, just shit talking. Haha.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:01 am 

Jeez, what a doozy of a Lorna Shore review that recent one is. The writer's main point of contention seems to be that the band exists on the Metal Archives.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:49 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Jeez, what a doozy of a Lorna Shore review that recent one is. The writer's main point of contention seems to be that the band exists on the Metal Archives.

I like how much of a contrast there is between that and the other review which is a 100% with giant walls of text. Pain Remains should become the next Illuminations of Vile Engorgement on this site.

Demon Fang
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:57 am 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

I like how much of a contrast there is between that and the other review which is a 100% with giant walls of text. Pain Remains should become the next Illuminations of Vile Engorgement on this site.

Who will post the next positive review? Who will be the next to bash it relentlessly? Who will stand with an ambivalent take? Find out on the next exciting episode of Dragon Ball Z!

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:52 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
People really latched onto that headline. I guess I never figured it was anything special, just shit talking. Haha.

Lol. That title used to irk me. Back when I took myself too seriously.

I do love TFoD. Not a fan of either of the two latest Testament records, though.

Lee Harrison
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:31 pm 

I fear that some reviews or reviewers are made only to make shit on album or on a bands,seriously came suspect that they never listened the album..

I invite to read the reviews of Benton bands…

Hope I am wrong

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:18 pm 

I'm back using the great Empath page for some stats about our site and interesting to say that Twisted_Psychology is the most similar reviewer to me in terms of albums covered. I've written on 18% of the same things he has. Loads of other stats, and everything is clickable!

https://www.furia.com/em/index.html

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:57 am 

As someone who has a strange love for stats, great site indeed. The rating distribution chart is a nice touch.

Valandil_79
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:55 pm 

Xevon's Reload title 'Plenty of filler, but occasionally killer' doesn't make it an 8/10 then. It's barely worth 1/2 marks. I do think the production is a bit slicker than Load. Christ, those albums are pretty bad.

Ok, imagine you're in the pub with your buddies, and you're talkin' metal, and every time you cite a good one by say... Overkill, Kreator, Megadeth, or Mercyful Fate, you hear someone on another table quietly sayin' 'that's shit... and that one's shit... and that one, as well.' That's the impression I get with Annable Courts. Annoying. Oh yeah, he likes Machine Head's Burn My Eyes... Enough said.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:30 pm 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
Pain Remains should become the next Illuminations of Vile Engorgement on this site.

With these new reviews that are rolling in, Lorna Shore is set up to become one of the most hated bands on the site.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:36 pm 

I'm going through the new review for Sodom's Persecution Mania and it's a pretty piss-poor read!

MEMORABLE QUOTES:

Quote:
While far from the best album in Sodom's discography; this album offers a great look at how the band started.

Quote:
Not exactly thrash, not exactly black, instead an odd fusion of several subgenres.

Quote:
Tom Such's (Tom Angelripper) vocal style is very similar to many death, grindcore, and black vocal styles.

Quote:
For fans of the American "Big 4" (Anthrax, Megadeth, Metallica, and Slayer) this album and the rest of Sodom's discography may not necessarily be for you; as Sodom has a much harder style, somewhat dissimilar to early or "classic" thrash. However if you like 90s death metal bands Persecution Mania is right up your alley. The best comparison (outside of other "Teutonic" thrash bands of course) for Persecution Mania is Death's early work

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:56 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
I'm back using the great Empath page for some stats about our site and interesting to say that Twisted_Psychology is the most similar reviewer to me in terms of albums covered. I've written on 18% of the same things he has. Loads of other stats, and everything is clickable!

https://www.furia.com/em/index.html

I've always enjoyed this site immensely and kinda wish that sisters_of_merciless would expand it a bit to include all of the various sub-genres/genre descriptors featured on the site, for some reason I've always been fascinated with the ratio of material I've reviewed in my primary genres versus the ones I only occasionally dabble in, it's just an odd fixation. Curiously enough, despite our massive disagreements on a healthy number of albums, Empyreal and I are the most similar by a level of 29%, though interestingly autothrall and I have the greatest total number of common albums at a whopping 352 (I guess it makes sense since we are currently the 2 most prolific writers on here in total numbers). You and I are at around 15%, kinda middle of the road considering our little review challenge rivalry over the past few years. lol

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
King_of_Arnor wrote:
Pain Remains should become the next Illuminations of Vile Engorgement on this site.

With these new reviews that are rolling in, Lorna Shore is set up to become one of the most hated bands on the site.

Hmm, maybe I should check them out, I can probably slow down progress on that a bit. :-P
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:29 pm 

That's crazy that you and I have so much in common since we often approach things entirely differently. But I guess we like enough of the same albums.

robotiq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:24 pm 

Interesting how low my 'similarity' scores are compared to other reviewers. The top three similar reviewers to me, all have me pretty low/absent on their own similarity lists.
I guess that means I'm filling a niche on the site somewhere, which is fine, probably my intention to be honest.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:13 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
That's crazy that you and I have so much in common since we often approach things entirely differently. But I guess we like enough of the same albums.

Yeah, my entire Top 3 in this category is a bit odd, kluseba is my second most similar fellow reviewer, and I make a point of trying to do things the exact opposite of him, whereas Ultraboris being my third feels odd because thrash metal is sort of a secondary fixation with me and I usually stick up for older obscure albums that he tended to defecate on. My buddy Larry6990 from The Metal Observer is the first one that makes total sense to me because he and I are almost identical in our taste in metal and we also have the same penchant for liking the vast majority of what we review.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Fearoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:10 pm 

The Lorna Shore reviews are great. Reminds me of simpler times back when bands like Suicide Silence used to be on the site :lol:
"I swear, every time a deathcore band gets listed on Metallum, an emo kid gets their wings." :D I haven't heard those words in seems like forever.

Last edited by Fearoth on Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:48 pm 

I'm actually currently in the works of a review for the AIRTN EP. Since most of Lorna's other albums are virgins at the moment, I predict we're gonna see a lot of reviews for them in the latest review challenge.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 486, 487, 488, 489, 490  Next