Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:50 am 

moloch616 wrote:
Buckethead: Enter the chicken

What about it? I have sworn off reviewing Buckethead for a while, but you are getting me interested again.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:26 pm 

Goodness gracious gasmask, you're absolutely killing it so far, both quantity and quality. I've been totally asleep at the wheel for the new Witchery and Hatriot, I had absolutely no idea either existed. Cheers for the great write-ups, keep it up man.

I won't be able to contribute much to this challenge, but this is still the best way to discover new and weird stuff. Thanks for organizing and keeping score, BurningOfSodom!

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:52 pm 

My output is going to be moderate this go around, had a lot going on during the lead up to this challenge and I'll only have a few free hours each day, but I play on trying to help get our cumulative score up as much as I can.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:35 pm 

Heh, don't really have much I'm ready to review but might drop a couple.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:44 pm 

Tanuki wrote:
I won't be able to contribute much to this challenge, but this is still the best way to discover new and weird stuff. Thanks for organizing and keeping score, BurningOfSodom!

Love you man! While we're at it, many thanks for making me impossible to unsee the wojak on the Xentrix cover, haha.

It's the dawn of descending...

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:18 pm 

Got 3 reviews done today so far. If you submit them during the challenge but they're not accepted until after the challenge, do they still count?

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:32 pm 

They don't, but I'm pretty sure the mods will do everything possible to examine every review sent to the queue before the deadline, so hopefully the issue won't present itself.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:49 pm 

Working on my third review. My first one was a spur of the moment review of an album I had been listening to, the second a rewrite of one I attempted to submit way back in 2018...

Going to focus on... what else... fun0realz deewmz. maybe some raw vampyric black metal as well since I like vampires and I like it raw.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:03 pm 

Was only able to get in one review today. Hopefully I can pump out more tomorrow.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:06 am 

Whelp, first day and already I inadvertently duplicated something that was already hit, albeit less than an hour before mine. To be fair, I think VictimOfScience and my takes on Masters Of Disguise's second LP were somewhat different. lol

I might be able to sneak one more in before I crash, we'll see.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:20 am 

Daily Tally for Nov 28 2022
Total Reviews: 56 / 56
Total Virgin Reviews: 51 / 51
Percentage (VIRGINS/TOTAL): 91.1% / 91.1%

Participant List for Nov 28 2022
Participants (TODAY/TOTAL): 27 / 27

Today's Totals per Individual:
Spoiler: show
gasmask_colostomy = 9
hells_unicorn = 4
Goatfangs = 3
linkavitch = 3
NausikaDalazBlindaz = 3
TheBurningOfSodom = 3
Footless = 2
lord_ghengis = 2
lukretion = 2
MorbidAtheist666 = 2
VictimOfScience = 2
Akerthorpe = 1
Brexaul = 1
BuriedUnborn = 1
CannibalCorpse = 1
CHAIRTHROWER = 1
criscool623 = 1
GuardAwakening = 1
Lane = 1
PaganiusI = 1
Peyp = 1
robotiq = 1
Sean16 = 1
Slater922 = 1
Tanuki = 1
Thumbman = 1
wolf entrails = 1

Running Totals per Individual:
gasmask_colostomy = 9
hells_unicorn = 4
Goatfangs = 3
linkavitch = 3
NausikaDalazBlindaz = 3
TheBurningOfSodom = 3
Footless = 2
lord_ghengis = 2
lukretion = 2
MorbidAtheist666 = 2
VictimOfScience = 2
Akerthorpe = 1
Brexaul = 1
BuriedUnborn = 1
CannibalCorpse = 1
CHAIRTHROWER = 1
criscool623 = 1
GuardAwakening = 1
Lane = 1
PaganiusI = 1
Peyp = 1
robotiq = 1
Sean16 = 1
Slater922 = 1
Tanuki = 1
Thumbman = 1
wolf entrails = 1

Compared to the first day of the last challenge, we are down 14 reviews and up 9 participants.

Congrats to gasmask_colostomy for being today's leader with 9 reviews!

gasmask's lead is already a declaration of intents, while nobody seems willing to stand out as the main contender for the moment, with hells timidly taking 2nd place. There are already a lot of participants this time around, hopefully it'll come in handy for the collective total!

Last edited by TheBurningOfSodom on Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sean16
Moody Tabulator of Torn Hymens

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:22 am 

People, we've got a choice morsel here: Metallica's new single! The blushing virgin already found someone to honor her, mind you.

Joke aside, nice little start. Not as high as last time, but this isn't surprising - it often goes a bit down after a succesful edition.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:06 am 

Tanuki wrote:
Goodness gracious gasmask, you're absolutely killing it so far, both quantity and quality. I've been totally asleep at the wheel for the new Witchery and Hatriot, I had absolutely no idea either existed. Cheers for the great write-ups, keep it up man.

Nice to see you around for this! This time I'm mostly writing on things that I couldn't cover during this year, so lots of new releases will get their due I hope. I also haven't taken many notes on the albums I'm writing for, but I've put more time into listening to this kind of recent output, since I was deciding whether to review them at release date or not, and these are the bunch that I saved for later. Witchery especially I wanted to do at the beginning because they are a very special band to me, even if their current style doesn't give me quite the boner that their old stuff did.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:47 pm 

I've been spinning the original Master of Disguise a lot this month, and will have to check out the Masters of Disguise now thanks to these reviews.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:16 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
boner

haha

Seriously though, I don't know how people crank out so many reviews. I feel like I've hit a wall after just 7. Granted, part of that was due to IRL fucking bullshit driving my anxiety levels to the point where my head felt like it wanted to explode.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:04 am 

Managed to polish off 5 today before the buzzer, and decided to take Sean16's bait and reviewed the new Metallica single. I was a bit more forgiving than BuriedUnborn was, but I generally agree that despite it being a clear thrasher, it is extremely flawed.

Everybody is doing great thus far, and it's looking like gasmask is going to run away with this one. I'd be putting up more of a fight but honestly I had almost no time to do any preparatory listening before this challenge began.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:00 am 

Daily Tally for Nov 29 2022
Total Reviews: 77 / 133
Total Virgin Reviews: 71 / 122
Percentage (VIRGINS/TOTAL): 92.2% / 91.7%

Participant List for Nov 29 2022
Participants (TODAY/TOTAL): 30 / 39

TheBurningOfSodom = 12
gasmask_colostomy = 7
Goatfangs = 5
hells_unicorn = 5
VictimOfScience = 5
MorbidAtheist666 = 4
King_of_Arnor = 3
TheOneNeverSeen = 3
Demon Fang = 2
Lane = 2
lukretion = 2
Sean16 = 2
Slater922 = 2
Avestriel = 1
Brexaul = 1
CHAIRTHROWER = 1
Felix 1666 = 1
FOrbIDen = 1
GuardAwakening = 1
NausikaDalazBlindaz = 1
necroL = 1
NuclearSoldier_666 = 1
Orbitball = 1
PaganiusI = 1
PDS = 1
robotiq = 1
Tanuki = 1
Thumbman = 1
tomcat_ha = 1
Twisted_Psychology = 1

gasmask_colostomy = 16
TheBurningOfSodom = 15
hells_unicorn = 9
Goatfangs = 8
VictimOfScience = 7
MorbidAtheist666 = 6
lukretion = 4
NausikaDalazBlindaz = 4
King_of_Arnor = 3
Lane = 3
linkavitch = 3
Sean16 = 3
Slater922 = 3
TheOneNeverSeen = 3
Brexaul = 2
CHAIRTHROWER = 2
Demon Fang = 2
Footless = 2
GuardAwakening = 2
lord_ghengis = 2
PaganiusI = 2
robotiq = 2
Tanuki = 2
Thumbman = 2
Akerthorpe = 1
Avestriel = 1
BuriedUnborn = 1
CannibalCorpse = 1
criscool623 = 1
Felix 1666 = 1
FOrbIDen = 1
necroL = 1
NuclearSoldier_666 = 1
Orbitball = 1
PDS = 1
Peyp = 1
tomcat_ha = 1
Twisted_Psychology = 1
wolf entrails = 1

Compared to the second day of the last challenge, we are down 9 reviews but up 3 participants.

Congrats to TheBurningOfSodom for being today's leader with 12 reviews!

Man, in order to finally read the sentence above, I've had to type it myself lol. gasmask is still leading, but some form of opposition seems to have appeared...

Last edited by TheBurningOfSodom on Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:34 am 

Goatfangs wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:
boner

haha

lol

Goatfangs wrote:
Seriously though, I don't know how people crank out so many reviews. I feel like I've hit a wall after just 7. Granted, part of that was due to IRL fucking bullshit driving my anxiety levels to the point where my head felt like it wanted to explode.

You're doing well though, a lot of people are. I think it's tough to suddenly review loads of stuff at once, especially for people who aren't used to putting their thoughts into words all the time. I find writing easier than speaking most of the time, and have just written reviews constantly for about 8 years now, so it's not too hard to get into the habit. All the same, I couldn't do that if I wasn't at home by myself a lot. Real life stuff stressing you out is no atmosphere to concentrate on a detailed analysis of music, so I sympathize.

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:

Man, in order to finally read the sentence above, I've had to type it myself lol. gasmask is still leading, but some form of opposition seems to have appeared...

Very happy to read that too! It's interesting that we have so many people writing this time, although not many people have written lots and lots yet. I don't have the ability to write more than about 10 a day because I haven't got any notes for most of the releases, and this afternoon will mostly be taken up doing housework and grading assignments. You have a good window to steal the lead I reckon.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:09 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Goatfangs wrote:

You're doing well though, a lot of people are. I think it's tough to suddenly review loads of stuff at once, especially for people who aren't used to putting their thoughts into words all the time. I find writing easier than speaking most of the time, and have just written reviews constantly for about 8 years now, so it's not too hard to get into the habit. All the same, I couldn't do that if I wasn't at home by myself a lot. Real life stuff stressing you out is no atmosphere to concentrate on a detailed analysis of music, so I sympathize.

Word. Reviewing during the challenge week is definitely something more than the usual hobby we all have, and requires a combination of serious dedication to it and... the least possible amount of outside issues. Hope your real life eases up a bit man!

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Very happy to read that too!

<3

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:12 am 

So, I thought I wasn't going to have time these days and that's why I didn't sign up, but it turns out I have more free time than I thought and I have a couple of virgin releases I would like to review, is it still possible to enter the challenge? I don't think I'll contribute much but something is something.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:16 am 

Of course, there's no obligation to start on the first day! Just submit your reviews and I will count them in the daily total.

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:36 am 

Nice to see Iowa's Lord of The Pit get some love, following a menu change. Great timing too, as they've just opened up a brand new, if not none too subtle, BBQ joint here in Bangford, BC:

https://jonesgotmeat.com/

(D Fang in da house!)

So far, I've only tried the brisket sammie and fries. The former was more of an oversauced pickle 'which whilst the fries were okay; their Alabama sauce really kicks ass, has a great after bite to it. I'll still return and try the actual grill fare to proffer a fair impression. All things considered, they deserve a second chance, even if I felt shorted the first time on Sunday.

As I've a 9 hour playdate with Big Red today and tomorrow (ye ole mechanical rust bucket reserved for part-time order pickers), am not sure I'll be able to jam more in until Friday and le weekend, including a token Jowita request - she of timely email solicitation.

I'm also thrilled to see caspian back in action, as well as twist's Mourn The Light EP review, a release I was actually listening to during the loser cruiser ride back from downtown yesterday as it came through, even musing about potentially joining in the fray, only to realize he (and fellow mourner sweetie) did too good of a job, hence making such participation moot and unnecessary. Worth noting though, I've been checking out and reading stuff by various contributors, and even if our total output is less than in June (usually is!), it's nice to see everyone in the spirit of things.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:41 pm 

I'm finishing up my NaNoWriMo right now and catching up on bug-work, then I plan on hamming out some more reviews today. Hopefully no real life bullshit props up today. I want to relax.

I have work tomorrow though, and a fairly busy weekend, but if I keep up the pace I might be able to hit 20.

I'm kinda alternating between obscure black metal stuff, and obscure funeral doom stuff. I might do more funeral doom stuff just because I have a lot more experience with it and can compare it easily when describing what I am listening to. With black metal sometimes all that comes to me is, "this is black metal, it is blackened black and it is raw as black metal because it is black. Black black black black black"

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:27 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
I'm kinda alternating between obscure black metal stuff, and obscure funeral doom stuff.

Dude, those are two of what I consider to be the most creatively potent genres of metal. Packed with feeling and atmosphere. Do you have any favorite funeral doom and black projects? I could go on and on about mine, haha.

My two favorite releases from these genres are The Call of the Wretched Sea by Ahab for funeral doom, and Diadem of 12 Stars by WITTR for black.

Good luck with the reviewing! I've been meaning to get more done this week, but school has kind of gotten in the way.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:37 pm 

Damn, Caspian beat me to Bird Eater. Good review, though.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:46 pm 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:

Congrats indeed! Way to go man, you're doing a great job with these write-ups. I was laughing my ass off at the first line of your Schindler's Pissed review, and your entire Thrashfire review is solid gold. I totally see the King of the Hill characters in the album art.

Also wanted to mention Goatfang's review of Mycorrhizae, for both a splendid Commander Keen reference, as well as - in general - introducing me to mushroom black metal. That makes me happy that it exists. Interesting review buddy, nice work.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:20 pm 

Tanuki wrote:
Congrats indeed! Way to go man, you're doing a great job with these write-ups. I was laughing my ass off at the first line of your Schindler's Pissed review, and your entire Thrashfire review is solid gold. I totally see the King of the Hill characters in the album art.

Haha, thanks man! Appreciate so much that you have found time to read them. You just don't get out of the challenge week alive if you don't try a joke or two every now and then, I guess...

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:56 am 

Daily Tally for Nov 30 2022
Total Reviews: 50 / 183
Total Virgin Reviews: 47 / 169
Percentage (VIRGINS/TOTAL): 94.0% / 92.3%

Participant List for Nov 30 2022
Participants (TODAY/TOTAL): 26 / 45

TheBurningOfSodom = 5
hells_unicorn = 4
Forever Underground = 3
gasmask_colostomy = 3
King_of_Arnor = 3
Thumbman = 3
VictimOfScience = 3
Felix 1666 = 2
MorbidAtheist666 = 2
Slater922 = 2
Twisted_Psychology = 2
caspian = 1
Colonel Para Bellum = 1
criscool623 = 1
Demon Fang = 1
Hames_Jetfield = 1
lukretion = 1
Orbitball = 1
PaganiusI = 1
PDS = 1
Peyp = 1
robotiq = 1

TheBurningOfSodom = 20
gasmask_colostomy = 19
hells_unicorn = 13
VictimOfScience = 10
Goatfangs = 8
MorbidAtheist666 = 8
King_of_Arnor = 6
lukretion = 5
Slater922 = 5
Thumbman = 5
NausikaDalazBlindaz = 4
Sean16 = 4
Demon Fang = 3
Felix 1666 = 3
Forever Underground = 3
Lane = 3
linkavitch = 3
PaganiusI = 3
robotiq = 3
Tanuki = 3
TheOneNeverSeen = 3
Twisted_Psychology = 3
Brexaul = 2
CHAIRTHROWER = 2
criscool623 = 2
Footless = 2
GuardAwakening = 2
lord_ghengis = 2
Orbitball = 2
PDS = 2
Peyp = 2
Akerthorpe = 1
Avestriel = 1
BuriedUnborn = 1
CannibalCorpse = 1
caspian = 1
Colonel Para Bellum = 1
FOrbIDen = 1
Hames_Jetfield = 1
necroL = 1
NuclearSoldier_666 = 1
Sweetie = 1
tomcat_ha = 1
WattPheasant = 1
wolf entrails = 1

Compared to the third day of the last challenge, we are down 30 reviews but up 4 participants.

Congrats to TheBurningOfSodom for being today's leader with 5 reviews!

It has been a quiet day, with new faces continuing to show, but no huge numbers. gasmask was kind enough to let me take the lead for a day, but the challenge appears open to all kind of results.

Last edited by TheBurningOfSodom on Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
lukretion
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:57 am 

Well done everyone! It's exciting to see a challenge that is still so open 4 days in.

I was hoping to get closer to my personal best (25) but it seems increasingly unlikely as the week turned out much busier than I expected! Will give it a shot, though!

Sean16

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:11 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Managed to polish off 5 today before the buzzer, and decided to take Sean16's bait and reviewed the new Metallica single. I was a bit more forgiving than BuriedUnborn was, but I generally agree that despite it being a clear thrasher, it is extremely flawed.

Hehe. I was actually expecting we'd see a crowd of one-review-wonders eager to comment on the first 'true' novelty released in, what, five years, from arguably the most famous metal band on Earth. Turns out I was wrong. After all Lars and co. took everyone by surprise with that one.

I've played in a lot of these review challenges, but not all of them by far, and I wonder if it already happened a big band - I mean, really big, Metallica / Maiden style - released a full-length album precisely on a Challenge week.

Otherwise we keep on doing nicely. We must be pretty much in the average number for a 3rd day, perhaps slightly above. May write another one this afternoon.

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:46 am 

Rabbit, Rabbit y'all! (Happy reviewing!)

*I've also just come across a novel soundbite for any ole doomy opening:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... ounds-like

Last edited by CHAIRTHROWER on Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:13 am 

Judicator releases their first album without Cordisco, presents a rather different approach altogether that can go either way, a scant few days before the challenge, potentially ready to be the most reviewed album for it.

Metallica: "Now this looks like a job for me"

___

@CHAIRTHROWER mmm would love to give them a go. If they can smoke meats like they can smoke some groovy death metal, it'd be a treat at any rate!

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:31 am 

Tanuki wrote:
Schindler's Pissed review

That did look great, what a super load of puns in one album too.

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
gasmask was kind enough to let me take the lead for a day

Had a horrid day yesterday, it's suddenly got really freezing (-5 with the windchill) and I had to do housework, tutoring, grading, and then started feeling ill. By the evening I didn't really want to write much. Today's been better but I won't push it until I'm feeling good. Broke my promise about reviewing Buckethead though.

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:48 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Tanuki wrote:
Schindler's Pissed review

That did look great, what a super load of puns in one album too.

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
gasmask was kind enough to let me take the lead for a day

Had a horrid day yesterday, it's suddenly got really freezing (-5 with the windchill) and I had to do housework, tutoring, grading, and then started feeling ill. By the evening I didn't really want to write much. Today's been better but I won't push it until I'm feeling good. Broke my promise about reviewing Buckethead though.

Dude, you've earned the right to take it easy for a couple days. Your reviews are classic! Regenerate some brain power!

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:06 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Had a horrid day yesterday, it's suddenly got really freezing (-5 with the windchill) and I had to do housework, tutoring, grading, and then started feeling ill. By the evening I didn't really want to write much. Today's been better but I won't push it until I'm feeling good.

That sucks man, hoping for a quick full recovery!

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:53 pm 

Sean16 wrote:
hells_unicorn wrote:

Hehe. I was actually expecting we'd see a crowd of one-review-wonders eager to comment on the first 'true' novelty released in, what, five years, from arguably the most famous metal band on Earth. Turns out I was wrong. After all Lars and co. took everyone by surprise with that one.

I've played in a lot of these review challenges, but not all of them by far, and I wonder if it already happened a big band - I mean, really big, Metallica / Maiden style - released a full-length album precisely on a Challenge week.

Otherwise we keep on doing nicely. We must be pretty much in the average number for a 3rd day, perhaps slightly above. May write another one this afternoon.

Agreed, I was expecting to be the 4th or 5th person to get a crack at it, I think MA's culture has changed a bit since the days of Penis Metal and Wintersun's sparse studio outings and we only occasionally get a whole brigade of reviewers hitting a single release in a short period of time (Megadeth's latest comes to mind).

I think the closest we got to a really big band releasing a full length during the challenge was back in 2013 when Amon Amarth put out "Deceiver Of The Gods", which ended up getting 4 or 5 reviews during the challenge. A lot of the people competing at the time were complaining about the fact because they though it defeated one of the key purposes of the challenge, which is to promote lesser known bands. I'm pretty sure I remember BastardHead reaming myself and a few others that actually did review that album for the challenge while it was going on. lol

For me this has been a fairly average output for my first 3 days, at least since I re-entered the challenges after taking a 2 year hiatus in the early 2010s. My current work schedule has been very different since I switched careers and especially in the past year since I began doing freelance concert reviews, so my days of churning out review totals in the 80-95 range are pretty far behind now. If all goes well, I might get into the high 30s or possibly hit 40 this time around, we'll see how the weekend shapes up for me. Everybody's doing great though, I'm happy to see that we're still managing a respectable output despite less output from the heavy-hitters., and the quality of what is being submitted is definitely there.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:01 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
I think the closest we got to a really big band releasing a full length during the challenge was back in 2013 when Amon Amarth put out "Deceiver Of The Gods", which ended up getting 4 or 5 reviews during the challenge.

I fondly remember Kreator and Helloween putting out their respective newest albums in the later two challenges, though. Each one got at least 7 reviews if I'm not mistaken.

For now, as Demon Fang mentioned, Judicator's latest seems to be the leading man with 3 reviews, as far as I've seen during the daily tallies.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:05 pm 

Damn, if you're going for 40 might just tap out for being competitive for third. Just don't have it in me anymore.

Sean16

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:12 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
(...)Wintersun's sparse studio outings (...)

Wait, when Time II will be out, the subsequent shockwave it will cause will have all of us rise from our graves to create a special Challenge for it.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:24 pm 

Thanks for your wishes guys, I'm not that sick but I guess it's just the body's reaction to the temperature dropping about 15 degrees in a day. I'm back on it today, but a few commitments later still.

From the discussion above, the album I especially remember everyone jumping on last time was Kreator, though in my earlier challenges I didn't review that much that was up to date and probably didn't even know what was being released at the time.

I have to say my favourite thing about doing this challenge (and why I'm enjoying not going too fast this time) is when I listen to an album I had sort of written off as middling and generic, but then find it's really great when reviewing it. That's happening right now with Torn Fabriks, a pretty unknown thrash band that I've listened to a few times without getting a strong impression.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next