Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:06 am 

Daily Tally for Dec 1 2022
Total Reviews: 42 / 225
Total Virgin Reviews: 39 / 208
Percentage (VIRGINS/TOTAL): 92.9% / 92.4%

Participant List for Dec 1 2022
Participants (TODAY/TOTAL): 15 / 46

Today's Totals per Individual:
Spoiler: show
TheBurningOfSodom = 11
gasmask_colostomy = 10
hells_unicorn = 4
Goatfangs = 2
MorbidAtheist666 = 2
Demon Fang = 1
Lane = 1
NausikaDalazBlindaz = 1
PaganiusI = 1
robotiq = 1
Sean16 = 1
Slater922 = 1
Tanuki = 1
Thumbman = 1
toastlord = 1

Running Totals per Individual:
TheBurningOfSodom = 31
gasmask_colostomy = 29
hells_unicorn = 17
Goatfangs = 10
MorbidAtheist666 = 10
VictimOfScience = 10
King_of_Arnor = 6
Slater922 = 6
Thumbman = 6
lukretion = 5
NausikaDalazBlindaz = 5
Sean16 = 5
Demon Fang = 4
Lane = 4
PaganiusI = 4
robotiq = 4
Tanuki = 4
Felix 1666 = 3
Forever Underground = 3
linkavitch = 3
TheOneNeverSeeN = 3
Twisted_Psychology = 3
Brexaul = 2
CHAIRTHROWER = 2
criscool623 = 2
Footless = 2
GuardAwakening = 2
lord_ghengis = 2
Orbitball = 2
PDS = 2
Peyp = 2
Akerthorpe = 1
Avestriel = 1
BuriedUnborn = 1
CannibalCorpse = 1
caspian = 1
Colonel Para Bellum = 1
FOrbIDen = 1
Hames_Jetfield = 1
necroL = 1
NuclearSoldier_666 = 1
Sweetie = 1
toastlord = 1
tomcat_ha = 1
WattPheasant = 1
wolf entrails = 1

Compared to the fourth day of the last challenge, we are down 39 reviews and 10 participants.

Congrats to TheBurningOfSodom for being today's leader with 11 reviews!

The situation appears destined to be a two-way race, but not ruling out last minute surprises. The last challenge was a definitely great one, though, so this time we're a bit far behind.

It's the dawn of descending...

Last edited by TheBurningOfSodom on Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:32 am 

Burning, how many did you write last time? Of course it was less than 44, because Slater's score is visible there, but I think it was in the 30s. Are you about to beat that?
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:32 am 

Good catch! I actually and narrowly surpassed it already, given that my personal best was a round 30 indeed. The fact that I did it with a Chainsaw Penis review was anything but planned...

That was two challenges ago, though, when I had been kicked out of the podium by Thumbman. I find being productive in Summer here insanely hard :lol:

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:27 am 

When does review week end? Monday of next week, I presume?

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:31 am 

My most rude self would answer 'just read the title lol', but yep. Sunday is the last day, and any review submitted until 11:59 PM EST (that is, the time that appears on the site/forum) will be counted.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:06 pm 

Sort of FYI notice: I have a completely free day tomorrow, with the caveat that I’m going to be hungover.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:43 pm 

Sounds pretty much like the best way to spend a Saturday to me.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:57 am 

If anyone is interested to know the difference between my sober writing and drunk writing, the review below was written last night after 2 beers and about 4-6 cocktails (I have no idea because it was like a testing party). The conclusion was written this morning and I read it through, but I think it mostly held up. Just amused that drunk me likes to use words like 'heretofore' and 'countrified'.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ol/658907/

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:49 am 

"Denouement" didn't sound common, either. Guess you're that kind of guy who starts discussing history and geopolitics after his third beer?

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:51 am 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
"Denouement" didn't sound common, either. Guess you're that kind of guy who starts discussing history and geopolitics after his third beer?

Kind of the opposite, I start making fun of people. I would like to discuss history and geopolitics at breakfast.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:01 am 

Interesting. That's why we love alcohol, perhaps... it's full of surprises.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:10 am 

Daily Tally for Dec 2 2022
Total Reviews: 40 / 265
Total Virgin Reviews: 37 / 245
Percentage (VIRGINS/TOTAL): 92.5% / 92.5%

Participant List for Dec 2 2022
Participants (TODAY/TOTAL): 19 / 49

lukretion = 7
TheBurningOfSodom = 6
gasmask_colostomy = 4
hells_unicorn = 4
Slater922 = 2
CannibalCorpse = 1
Demon Fang = 1
Felix 1666 = 1
Goatfangs = 1
MorbidAtheist666 = 1
NausikaDalazBlindaz = 1
PaganiusI = 1
robotiq = 1
Sean16 = 1
Tanuki = 1
The Bard with Bright Eyes = 1
TheSlayFer = 1
Thumbman = 1
Vesheljinn = 1

TheBurningOfSodom = 37
gasmask_colostomy = 33
hells_unicorn = 21
lukretion = 12
Goatfangs = 11
MorbidAtheist666 = 11
VictimOfScience = 10
Slater922 = 8
Thumbman = 7
King_of_Arnor = 6
NausikaDalazBlindaz = 6
Sean16 = 6
Demon Fang = 5
PaganiusI = 5
robotiq = 5
Tanuki = 5
Felix 1666 = 4
Lane = 4
Forever Underground = 3
linkavitch = 3
TheOneNeverSeen = 3
Twisted_Psychology = 3
Brexaul = 2
CannibalCorpse = 2
CHAIRTHROWER = 2
criscool623 = 2
Footless = 2
GuardAwakening = 2
lord_ghengis = 2
Orbitball = 2
PDS = 2
Peyp = 2
Akerthorpe = 1
Avestriel = 1
BuriedUnborn = 1
caspian = 1
Colonel Para Bellum = 1
FOrbIDen = 1
Hames_Jetfield = 1
necroL = 1
NuclearSoldier_666 = 1
Sweetie = 1
TheSlayFer = 1
toastlord = 1
tomcat_ha = 1
Vesheljinn = 1
WattPheasant = 1
wolf entrails = 1

Compared to the fifth day of the last challenge, we are down 38 reviews and 3 participants.

Congrats to lukretion for being today's leader with 7 reviews!

Few things have changed since yesterday, and we have a very hectic weekend ahead of ourselves. The absence of anybody competing for huge numbers like last summer is having its impact on the cumulative total, though.

Last edited by TheBurningOfSodom on Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:58 am 

Trying to be a little addition to this years' contest. Will probably never be able to write the amounts of reviews in such a short time like maybe 15 years ago, but at least this challenge inspires me to write more than a review in two months :-)

All the best to you guys!

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:28 pm 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
Sounds pretty much like the best way to spend a Saturday to me.

Think I have the leg up going to Metantoine's place for movies and beer tonight. Looks like I'm only getting the one review done today, but I'll try to ever so slightly breach double digits before the challenge is over.

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:48 pm 

Great gravy! Langford's Jones BBQ hits grand slam with its full rib rack and fries. The ribs were the best I've ever had, although I've never (yet) been to the Deep South or Tejas. Strongly recommended and worth the loot! (They've even this yummy yuletide package for 2 or 4 I'll adhere to.)

Last edited by CHAIRTHROWER on Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:58 pm 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
Trying to be a little addition to this years' contest. Will probably never be able to write the amounts of reviews in such a short time like maybe 15 years ago, but at least this challenge inspires me to write more than a review in two months :-)

All the best to you guys!

Nice review man! Never heard of Spiritworld, but Wild West metal sounds very unique. Shame about the flaws in its execution, but I'll probably still give it a shot.

Well folks, we might be down reviews this time, but it's definitely been quality over quantity. I've got tons of new stuff on my "to listen" list now, and I'm happy I was able to contribute, too. Nice going everyone!

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:37 pm 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
Few things have changed since yesterday, and we have a very hectic weekend ahead of ourselves. The absence of anybody competing for huge numbers like last summer is having its impact on the cumulative total, though.

Originally I was going to try to break 100 reviews this time, but I was banking on the challenge happening next week because I had to ghostwrite 3 massive summations for the Hell And Heaven Metal Fest in Mexico right now, not to mention cover another concert that took place in Tennessee on Wednesday. I'll be lucky if I break 30, and extremely so if I manage to top the 33 I did last challenge.

The good thing is that if things fall in place next time, I have upwards of 150 albums set aside for another attempt at breaking into triple digits next year.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:57 am 

Tanuki wrote:
Nice review man! Never heard of Spiritworld, but Wild West metal sounds very unique. Shame about the flaws in its execution, but I'll probably still give it a shot.

Another one for that collection: Helsótt's latest album. Doesn't actually sound very western except a few folk elements, but the concept really goes for it hard, something about Billy the Kid. I was planning to review it this week but might run out of time.

hells_unicorn wrote:
Originally I was going to try to break 100 reviews this time... The good thing is that if things fall in place next time, I have upwards of 150 albums set aside for another attempt at breaking into triple digits next year.

Hahaha give me a shout if this is going to happen and I will give you some encouragement. I actually started to feel that Diamhea's 100 was more impressive than it seems, because everyone else who made it to that number had someone pushing them on. I would never have done that without the sense of competition.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:16 am 

Tanuki wrote:

Thanks a lot :-) Yeah, I thought it would sound unique but in the end it does not. The aggression and conviction are there, yet it's just not my cup of tea. The album's lyrical content also hovers around somewhere between insane and ridiculous...guess you should really hear it yourself.

Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:21 am 

Daily Tally for Dec 3 2022
Total Reviews: 36 / 301
Total Virgin Reviews: 35 / 280
Percentage (VIRGINS/TOTAL): 97.2% / 93.0%

Participant List for Dec 3 2022
Participants (TODAY/TOTAL): 19 / 50

TheBurningOfSodom = 8
gasmask_colostomy = 7
Slater922 = 3
Demon Fang = 2
CHAIRTHROWER = 1
criscool623 = 1
hells_unicorn = 1
Lane = 1
lukretion = 1
MorbidAtheist666 = 1
Napero = 1
NausikaDalazBlindaz = 1
PaganiusI = 1
PDS = 1
Peyp = 1
robotiq = 1
Sean16 = 1
Tanuki = 1
Thumbman = 1

TheBurningOfSodom = 45
gasmask_colostomy = 40
hells_unicorn = 22
lukretion = 13
MorbidAtheist666 = 12
Goatfangs = 11
Slater922 = 11
VictimOfScience = 10
Thumbman = 8
Demon Fang = 7
NausikaDalazBlindaz = 7
Sean16 = 7
King_of_Arnor = 6
PaganiusI = 6
robotiq = 6
Tanuki = 6
Lane = 5
Felix 1666 = 4
CHAIRTHROWER = 3
criscool623 = 3
Forever Underground = 3
linkavitch = 3
PDS = 3
Peyp = 3
TheOneNeverSeen = 3
Twisted_Psychology = 3
Brexaul = 2
CannibalCorpse = 2
Footless = 2
GuardAwakening = 2
lord_ghengis = 2
Orbitball = 2
Akerthorpe = 1
Avestriel = 1
BuriedUnborn = 1
caspian = 1
Colonel Para Bellum = 1
FOrbIDen = 1
Hames_Jetfield = 1
Napero = 1
necroL = 1
NuclearSoldier_666 = 1
Sweetie = 1
TheSlayFer = 1
toastlord = 1
tomcat_ha = 1
Vesheljinn = 1
WattPheasant = 1
wolf entrails = 1

Compared to the sixth day of the last challenge, we are down 35 reviews and 9 participants.

Congrats to TheBurningOfSodom for being today's leader with 8 reviews!

I'd have never expected I would still see gasmask and me competing for first place, while hells seems to have a solid lead for the last place on the podium. Only one day to go!

(P.s. blame it on Annable Courts for having ruined a possible 100% in the virgin reviews percentage for yesterday)

Last edited by TheBurningOfSodom on Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sean16
Moody Tabulator of Torn Hymens

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:36 am 

I'd planned a few more for the weekend as my wife was supposed to take the kid to her parents, except it didn't happen. Well, I should write one last today to fulfil my initial goal of one review per day anyway. With an extra single earlier this week to boot.

If TheBurningOfSodom manages to both host the Challenge AND get the first place, this feat will go down in MA history...

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:40 am 

Sean16 wrote:
If TheBurningOfSodom manages to both host the Challenge AND get the first place, this feat will go down in MA history...

Thanks, now I have extra pressure :lol: just kidding, my initial aim was to finally appear on the podium, and I can consider that done. Any further things that'll come will be a plus...

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:57 pm 

Totally digging Morbid A.'s Mass reviews, a German band I caught wind of a while back, but never quite explored thoroughly. Also, great job on the Reward_Break Out! album, which I've earmarked for early perusal. With such in mind, you might wanna check out a further two ton Teuton by none too trivial name of Pursuit...

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Pursuit/3540516038 (Fans of Cobra Spell, Snakebite, Vanderbuyst and Viper Queen are summoned, as well!)

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:08 pm 

Sent my last one, heading for bed now - so my cumulative number will remain as it is for these last hours, for whomever might want to try hitting first place. The usual downside of living in Europe, I guess.

Also, results tomorrow might take more time than usual, but I'll try to work everything out as soon as I can.

See you tomorrow!

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:55 am 

Managed to polish off a few before the buzzer, including all of the requests I got via private message by Metal On Metal Records and a few other individual bands. This was one of my weaker showings, but given all the extra stuff I had going on, I don't think I could have done much more and maintained my personal quality standards. Hopefully my day job and my gig with Sonic Perspectives won't interfere with the next challenge, because I do plan to give that one my all. Great job everyone, we had a lighter turnout this go around, but the quality of what every one has written is definitely there. :hail:
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:06 am 

How did I miss this entire challenge, I really need to be more active on this forum again.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:13 am 

Daily Tally for Dec 4 2022
Total Reviews: 80 / 381
Total Virgin Reviews: 72 / 352
Percentage (VIRGINS/TOTAL): 90.0% / 92.4%

Participant List for Dec 4 2022
Participants (TODAY/TOTAL): 23 / 53

gasmask_colostomy = 15
MorbidAtheist666 = 11
TheBurningOfSodom = 10
hells_unicorn = 6
Slater922 = 4
Lane = 3
CHAIRTHROWER = 2
Felix 1666 = 2
lukretion = 2
robotiq = 2
TheOneNeverSeen = 2
TheSkull1965 = 2
Dominus Diogo = 1
felixrr = 1
Footless = 1
Forever Underground = 1
GuardAwakening = 1
NausikaDalazBlindaz = 1
PaganiusI = 1
Sean16 = 1
Tanuki = 1
tomcat_ha = 1

gasmask_colostomy = 55
TheBurningOfSodom = 55
hells_unicorn = 28
MorbidAtheist666 = 23
lukretion = 15
Slater922 = 15
Goatfangs = 11
VictimOfScience = 10
Lane = 8
NausikaDalazBlindaz = 8
robotiq = 8
Sean16 = 8
Thumbman = 8
Demon Fang = 7
PaganiusI = 7
Tanuki = 7
Felix 1666 = 6
King_of_Arnor = 6
CHAIRTHROWER = 5
TheOneNeverSeen = 5
Forever Underground = 4
criscool623 = 3
Footless = 3
GuardAwakening = 3
linkavitch = 3
PDS = 3
Peyp = 3
Twisted_Psychology = 3
Brexaul = 2
CannibalCorpse = 2
lord_ghengis = 2
Orbitball = 2
The Bard with Bright Eyes = 2
TheSkull1965 = 2
tomcat_ha = 2
Akerthorpe = 1
Avestriel = 1
BuriedUnborn = 1
caspian = 1
Colonel Para Bellum = 1
Dominus Diogo = 1
felixrr = 1
FOrbIDen = 1
Hames_Jetfield = 1
Napero = 1
necroL = 1
NuclearSoldier_666 = 1
Sweetie = 1
TheSlayFer = 1
toastlord = 1
Vesheljinn = 1
WattPheasant = 1
wolf entrails = 1

Compared to the seventh day of the last challenge, we are down 14 reviews but up 5 participants.

Congrats to gasmask_colostomy for being today's leader with 15 reviews!

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:14 am 

Wow, sorry man... I was always the guy to leave the work for the last minute, even at school.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:16 am 

TOTAL VIRGINS: 352

On average, 92% of all reviews from the week were virgins! This is higher than the last challenge, which was at 91%.

We were down 179 reviews and 4 participants from the last challenge.

There were a total of 277 bands reviewed, including 340 unique albums.

The 10th Diamhea Memorial Review Challenge fell perfectly in line with the two last winter results of 322 and 374 virgins, respectively.

Participant List GRAND TOTALS
gasmask_colostomy = 55
TheBurningOfSodom = 55
hells_unicorn = 28
MorbidAtheist666 = 23
lukretion = 15
Slater922 = 15
Goatfangs = 11
VictimOfScience = 10
Lane = 8
NausikaDalazBlindaz = 8
robotiq = 8
Sean16 = 8
Thumbman = 8
Demon Fang = 7
PaganiusI = 7
Tanuki = 7
Felix 1666 = 6
King_of_Arnor = 6
CHAIRTHROWER = 5
TheOneNeverSeen = 5
Forever Underground = 4
criscool623 = 3
Footless = 3
GuardAwakening = 3
linkavitch = 3
PDS = 3
Peyp = 3
Twisted_Psychology = 3
Brexaul = 2
CannibalCorpse = 2
lord_ghengis = 2
Orbitball = 2
The Bard with Bright Eyes = 2
TheSkull1965 = 2
tomcat_ha = 2
Akerthorpe = 1
Avestriel = 1
BuriedUnborn = 1
caspian = 1
Colonel Para Bellum = 1
Dominus Diogo = 1
felixrr = 1
FOrbIDen = 1
Hames_Jetfield = 1
Napero = 1
necroL = 1
NuclearSoldier_666 = 1
Sweetie = 1
TheSlayFer = 1
toastlord = 1
Vesheljinn = 1
WattPheasant = 1
wolf entrails = 1

...and, for what's the first time in the challenge history (with the possible exception of October '12, with however considerably lower numbers), there is a tie for first place! Numbers don't lie and the review submitted exactly at 23:59 PM turned out to be crucial, for a dramatic finale. Fair game, gas! Although I won't see myself at the top anymore for alphabetical order reasons. Also, hells confirms himself as the first of the chasers, and MorbidAtheist666 gets promoted to third place overall, thanks to a great last day.

To sum up, congratulations gasmask_colostomy and TheBurningOfSodom on 1st place, hells_unicorn on 2nd place, and MorbidAtheist666 on 3rd place!

This was gasmask_colostomy's 12th time placing, TheBurningOfSodom's 1st time, hells_unicorn's 21st time, and MorbidAtheist666's 1st time.

Individuals who participated for all 7 days:
gasmask_colostomy
hells_unicorn
MorbidAtheist666
PaganiusI
robotiq
Sean16
Slater922
Tanuki
TheBurningOfSodom

Individuals who participated for 6 days:
lukretion
NausikaDalazBlindaz
Thumbman

Individuals who participated for 5 days:
Demon Fang
Lane

This hasn't been our strongest effort in terms of quantity, if compared to the last years, but the commitment was, as always, incredible, and I'm pretty sure it was a challenge I'll remember...

The Hall of Fame has been updated. See you at the next challenge in summer 2023!

Last edited by TheBurningOfSodom on Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:16 am 

Seeing gasmask and Sodom tie in 55 reviews is insane! Also interesting to see I tied lukretion with 15 reviews. Not as intense as the last challenge, but I still had fun reviewing some albums that I've been wanting to review for months.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:18 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Wow, sorry man... I was always the guy to leave the work for the last minute, even at school.

Hell, we can share the highest step on the podium. It was so crazy and I definitely have no regrets. Good game!

P.S.: here is how me giving the prize to myself will appear:

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:42 am 

Some ulterior stats, just for fun:

Most reviewed bands:

5 reviews:
Chrome Ghost
Outloud
Tetragon

4 reviews:
Rezet
Verbal Razors

Most reviewed releases:

3 reviews:
Judicator - The Majesty of Decay
Nigromante - Summon the Devil

2 reviews:
Bird Eater - Dead Mothers Make the Sun Set
Dawnwalker - House of Sand
Deströyer 666 - Never Surrender
Masters of Disguise - The Savage and the Grace
Metallica - Lux Æterna
Steel Inferno - Evil Reign
Witchery - Nightside
Witchunter - Metal Dream

Sean16

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:26 am 

Congrats to everyone, and especially to TheBurningOfSodom for having animated this Challenge and secured the 1st place altogether! :beer: Nice tie with gasmask btw.

DanielG06 wrote:
How did I miss this entire challenge, I really need to be more active on this forum again.

Sorry to hear that. If it can help, challenges are usually held around June and November; good times to lurk around a bit...

[another useless stat]
Data from the very first challenge are probably lost forever, but I still have those for the second one on my hard drive - November 2006, a good 16 years ago. Guess what, no less than four of us were already present back then. THE OLD GUARD NEVER DIES! :p You know who you are.
[/another useless stat]

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:27 am 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:

Hell, we can share the highest step on the podium. It was so crazy and I definitely have no regrets. Good game!

I think you are the real winner here, man. Not only did you organize the event and keep the score the whole time, thus becoming the first host to win, you are also the first non-native English speaker to win the challenge and write over 50 reviews in a week, unless I'm missing someone obvious. I'm not knocking your writing skills, they are totally top-notch, I just know that writing in a second language can slow people down, so I count this as even more impressive. Love the new stats at the end, those discography runs are real satisfying!

My quality had a bit of a slide at the end as I tried to catch up, but I'm happy with everything I wrote in the first 6 days. I got to write on a lot of stuff that I thought deserved proper reflection, some of them were (vaguely) in-depth, and I only had a very small handful of planned releases I didn't get to. On the other hand, this time was tougher than I expected, partly because of my own lack of focus, partly because I didn't prepare so many separate albums after Daniel wiped out my stock last time. Hilariously tragic/tragically hilarious that you forgot it was happening man!

On a different note, I win my own biannual mini-challenge, which is when my wife doesn't guess that review week is on until it's over :-P

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:51 am 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:

Lol, yes.

This challenge was great fun! The first one I've ever participated in, although I haven't even been on this website for more than a year. Congrats to gasmask_colostomy and TheBurningOfSodom for tying in first place! I admit, I was sort of looking forward to seeing who was the best of the two of you... I guess we will never know! At least, until the summer.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:10 am 

It was insane, again - thanks everyone for the kind words. I doubt I'll ever try to top this performance, but who knows... definitely looking forward to organizing again, though!

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
I think you are the real winner here, man. Not only did you organize the event and keep the score the whole time, thus becoming the first host to win, you are also the first non-native English speaker to win the challenge and write over 50 reviews in a week, unless I'm missing someone obvious. I'm not knocking your writing skills, they are totally top-notch, I just know that writing in a second language can slow people down, so I count this as even more impressive. Love the new stats at the end, those discography runs are real satisfying!

I'm trying not to get emotional here, haha... I wanted to go for an unusual record, but I didn't think it would have been such an achievement. It's just a hobby on a website, still I've come way further than I'd have ever imagined years ago, and you have done a lot for this, along with the other exceptional writers of the site. That's why reading these words coming from you mean so much to me, no offense to the others. Also, managing to compete head-to-head with you (even if you were arguably held back by irl stuff, lol) was a huge feeling. It was a great experience.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:11 pm 

Oi! I threw in a last minute surprise, for those who want to enrich themselves over a bit of (non trivial) Pursuit!

By the way, gas, I'll be dutifully digging Atomic Witch on my way to Zuperstore this morn (as you can tell, Monday mornings are the best time to beat the grocer crowd, yonder!)

Last edited by CHAIRTHROWER on Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:37 pm 

Sean16 wrote:
[another useless stat]
Data from the very first challenge are probably lost forever, but I still have those for the second one on my hard drive - November 2006, a good 16 years ago. Guess what, no less than four of us were already present back then. THE OLD GUARD NEVER DIES! :p You know who you are.
[/another useless stat]

Damn! I know I was ranked 3rd place with 16 reviews back in 2007, but I have no idea if I had actually done any challenge reviews even earlier? If yes, probably without even knowing ^^

So...did I contribute?

Congrats to that highly interesting podium this time :-)

Adder's Fork - Website

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:38 pm 

Sean16 wrote:

Ah yes, that was the first challenge I participated in, and it was 100% by accident as I had no idea that there was such a thing (I rarely used the forums back in 2006). I just happened to review two albums that were unreviewed at the time (pretty sure it was Axel Rudi Pell's "Black Moon Pyramid" and At Vance's "No Escape") and found the thread about the challenge just after it had concluded. Napero filled me in on the details of how the challenge worked and invited me to participate in the next one, ended up setting the first record with 65 reviews, which I suppose played a part in inspiring all of the insane individual scores that have been accomplished ever since. lol Good times, good memories!

DanielG06 wrote:

I was wondering that myself, if I had not have been so busy this past week I think I might have shot you a PM letting you know about it, you brought a very interesting dynamic into the last challenge and I'd like to have somebody else pushing me next time to get over that 100 review mark. :wink:
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Sean16

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:42 pm 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
Damn! I know I was ranked 3rd place with 16 reviews back in 2007, but I have no idea if I had actually done any challenge reviews even earlier? If yes, probably without even knowing ^^

So...did I contribute?

Congrats to that highly interesting podium this time :-)

Sorry, your earliest entry seems to be in February 2007 with 4 reviews, before you indeed hit 16 the following July (2007 was indeed a year with three editions, the thing was still in its infancy back then)

For anyone who wonders, the Old Guard's Four Horsemen are
hells_unicorn
caspian
Napero
Sean16

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next