Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:19 am 

Shoutout to thewarheadsrustinpeace for that lively Gwar review, yet further harbinger from my distant youth worthy of a dual perspective, coming to an adulterated, no-nonsense Metal Archive(s) near you...(Loved the line where you failed to distinguish between hip hop and rap!)

Oh, and just now, today, your Dehumanizer review steered towards a hilarious music video for TV Crimes...As far as Sabbath dualities go, I think I've found its first entry (point).

Last edited by CHAIRTHROWER on Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:13 am 

Incredible Conjureth review by wehopeyoudie. I've been meaning to get to reviewing that one but I need some more listens first.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:05 pm 

We've got to hand it to Metalord666 for setting the matter, once and for all, regarding JP's classic Stained Class. I also dug the clarification nod to Deep Purple's "Fireball" (winker emoji).

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:15 pm 

New Fear Factory review describes Digimortal as a “buffet of regurgitation”. Bleurgh.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:08 pm 

Hey Slater you nailed a great review of Here in After…

With Christ Cage Immolation open a phase(until Majesty and Decay)that every closer refers to the riff of the previous album last song.
Democracy can resist the authoritarian threat only if it transforms itself from a democracy of passive spectators into a democracy of active participants, in which the problems of the community are familiar to the individual and as important to him as his private affairs

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:51 pm 

Lee Harrison wrote:

With Christ Cage Immolation open a phase(until Majesty and Decay)that every closer refers to the riff of the previous album last song.

Thanks. I've been warming up to Immolation's entire discography lately, and I wanted to throw in my two cents on HIA for its 27th anniversary.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:09 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Lee Harrison wrote:

Thanks. I've been warming up to Immolation's entire discography lately, and I wanted to throw in my two cents on HIA for its 27th anniversary.

I liked very much

Well done
Democracy can resist the authoritarian threat only if it transforms itself from a democracy of passive spectators into a democracy of active participants, in which the problems of the community are familiar to the individual and as important to him as his private affairs

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:25 pm 

A quick look at this this ROC review, and I can already tell it's pretty bad. I mean, who in their right mind listens to songs like "Through the Eyes of Terror" and "World Eater" and think they're "weak and boring"? :???:

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:23 am 

Uh, nice, another new reviewer starting off on the right foot. The last example I remember didn't exactly go well and the writer seems to have disappeared since. Let's see what happens now... the title makes me fear there will be more.

Imagine creating an account and committing youself to write a review, just to shit on that one particular album everyone except you loves.

It's the dawn of descending...

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:21 am 

60 Left Hand Path
40 Realm of chaos

Are kidding me?

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:04 am 

makes me cringe a little to have to accept reviews like that ngl. they meet all the guidelines and what not, they're just weenies with the wrong opinions, smh my head.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:14 pm 

The day is going to come where we classic metal fans will have to reckon with the fact that kids tomorrow will have grown up with deathcore that undeniably sounds way more fucking massive and brutal than early death metal classics ever did.

Not to say it's better, obviously, but if you grew up loving how brutal the breakdowns that Suicide Silence and As Blood Runs Black would crank out, you'd probably also listen to a slamless, gutturalless, riff-based album with 1990s production and think it sounded weak as hell too.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:23 pm 

That day has already come honestly; it's already a thing for younger listeners more used to deathcore and the like to hate the way OSDM - be it the work of Sunlight Studios or Morrisound - sounds just because it's an entirely different production style from what they're used to, and one that is definitely not as loud.

Honestly even if you don't look at the -core side of things, modern death metal production and modern metal production in general is quite different from the styles of old, due to changing trends and advancing technology. Even bands that are a conscious throwback don't always sound exactly like the older stuff. It's to be expected and I'm sure we've seen parallels to this with as trends of the past shifted. This isn't even accounting for differing sets of influences, songwriting styles, aesthetics, the lot that we've seen across time.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:06 pm 

Thank god was a teenager In first nineties

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:33 am 

I don't disagree with that Realm of Chaos review's "lack of songwriting" point - the only parts of that album that really stick in my head are the main riffs of World Eater and Eternal War. But the album is more worthy of appreciation for how ahead of its time it was. That dude barely wrote a paragraph on how low and harsh Karl's vocals were and how low the guitars were tuned for 1989, when that's probably the most noteworthy thing about the album.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:34 am 

I mean have a negative opinion on Realm of Chaos if you want, but it's a shitty review. Doesn't really make any kind of strong case. Just more "it wasn't what the ideals in my head were" shit.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:43 pm 

Annable Altars have one of best cover in death metal,Vince voice is better only on Blessed on Covenant he feel without power(let's spread a pitiful veil of vocals on Domination)the riffs are intricate and at time completely innovative.
They have released four demos,immature lol.

1989 one of best album all time.

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:27 pm 

Yeah, "No Exit" gets a 100%, yeah! Love this album... the Warnings' best imo

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:37 am 

bayern wrote:
Yeah, "No Exit" gets a 100%, yeah! Love this album... the Warnings' best imo

Unfortunately, the review isn't really good. The album isn't much heavier than ATG and then you've got a nonsensical 'description' like this that isn't saying much;

Quote:
We have reached the aforementioned epic. "The Ivory Gate of Dreams" is probably the best song ever written. I will not even try to describe it, for human language is too limited to explain something this divine. I will only say that this masterpiece manages to be at 100% at any given moment, and that for 22 minutes. The various sub-parts sometimes are linked through trasitions that may seem weird at first, but after multiple listens you will conclude that they are unorthodox but coherent.

The Perfect Symmetry review...urgh. You know a review is bad when the introduction is the longest paragraph. Why mention so many random bands?

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:12 am 

colin040 wrote:
The Perfect Symmetry review...urgh. You know a review is bad when the introduction is the longest paragraph. Why mention so many random bands?

Advocating the writer for a second, I was the one who approved it and the second and third ones were actually united in a giant block of text – thus, the longest – and I split them as I felt it was too much of an eyesore. But yeah, that introduction was kinda long-winded nonetheless.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:35 am 

Yeah, it's a pretty lame idea for a first paragraph. "To explain about this prog metal release, let me chronicle countless examples of death and thrash metal bands changing style." Um, okay.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:11 am 

Advise me review friends: a band/label has just used my review for their demo (more or less word for word, titles etc adjusted) as promo for their debut album. It's coming out on a reasonably well-known metal label and I am positive at least one member of the band read my review. I didn't know they would use it until I read the pre-release information. How should I feel about this?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:11 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Advise me review friends: a band/label has just used my review for their demo (more or less word for word, titles etc adjusted) as promo for their debut album. It's coming out on a reasonably well-known metal label and I am positive at least one member of the band read my review. I didn't know they would use it until I read the pre-release information. How should I feel about this?

Definitely email them, tell them it's not ok. If they don't fix the situation, publicly denounce them.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:14 pm 

At least make them pay you for it. Always get paid for writing in those pro contexts.

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:55 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:

Strange... so far they've always asked me, if they could use my musings for promotion, etc. Guess some artists out there take our endeavours for granted. Without permission from the author, no can do.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:19 pm 

Thanks for the above suggestions guys, I’m in touch with the PR at the label, and fortunately when checking with the band member they didn’t have any idea and were very apologetic.

Burning, interesting to note that our on-the-minute writes for Necropanther were both quite similar but with a very different tone to them. It’s like I went in expecting to be impressed and you went in without high hopes.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:45 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Burning, interesting to note that our on-the-minute writes for Necropanther were both quite similar but with a very different tone to them. It’s like I went in expecting to be impressed and you went in without high hopes.

Couldn't agree more! Especially strange to see most of my thoughts already expressed, albeit in an infinitely better way. I was somewhat scared to publish mine right after yours, which was excellent.

But yeah, it's been kind of a surprise for me, as I've never been huge on SW, although it's been years since I've given a fair listen to them – might be time to re-evaluate them as well.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:28 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... G06/953525

Feel free to dislike it if you want, but...

Quote:
As for the lyrics, it sounds like Rob Halford's early nonsense lyrics except James can't pull it off convincingly. Forget trying to tell a story, let's sing about rockin' 'n' rollin' and making sure the last word of every line ends with "ation" because lyrics are automatically good if they rhyme, right?

Seems pretty clearly like this song's lyrics will fit into what the whole thing is supposed to be about really. No need to force critiques just for the sake of hating it more.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:56 pm 

Just a foot note, but once I googled one of my reviews (word for word!) and found it posted on some strange German metal site, albeit supposedly penned by a different "author", or maybe the site's unscrupulous moderator. How whack is that?

Last edited by CHAIRTHROWER on Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:25 pm 

What's with everyone getting their reviews plagiarized lately?

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:35 pm 

Daniel's review of Decedent alone has sold me into wanting to check them out. Beautiful descriptions, and it helps that I dislike 2/3 of the bands he said it steps away from (the exception being Undeath. Love those guys, but can't hang with Sanguisugabogg or Frozen Soul).

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:24 am 

Nice review from TheDeadEndKing, great to see somebody else praising Exul's debut from last year. Arguably not the be-all end-all of modern thrash, but an awesome album nonetheless.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:12 pm 

Many thanks to gasmask_colostomy for the great write-up on the "A Gathering of Four" split album that I've been part of. It doesn't always need super-high scores to make a reader happy, the criticism is very reasonable and the details are very well written.

PS: Forgot to tell you that you were right: I was indeed the one who suggested the name for the split ^^

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:56 pm 

Thanks CC, I’d recommend others to check it out too if they haven’t yet. A pretty good showcase for 4 sort of different acts, so my mediocre score reflects more on the split format than poor material.

Slates, I challenge you to read the second sentence of your Majesties review without a little snigger. I think you’ve changed one part but not the whole thing. In general, pretty informative though, that’s sort of what I’d expect from those names.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:07 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Slates, I challenge you to read the second sentence of your Majesties review without a little snigger. I think you’ve changed one part but not the whole thing. In general, pretty informative though, that’s sort of what I’d expect from those names.

Oh, looking back on that, I was trying to say that it would've been years before the band released an album, but I guessed I could've worded it better. Thanks for the overall positive feedback, though.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:38 am 

Slater922 wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:

Oh, looking back on that, I was trying to say that it would've been years before the band released an album, but I guessed I could've worded it better. Thanks for the overall positive feedback, though.

Sure, just a little grammar tumble where it looked like you said the band hadn't released their debut yet :lol:

Rejoice in the fact that for Gaynebula's fifth 100% review (out of 5 total reviews), she says, "Every single song comes close to 11/10." No doubt the hyperbole is strong with this one.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:41 am 

I've come to really appreciate little bits in reviews that, on first impression, sound like promo blurbs, but are actually compact statements that manage to highlight significant aspects of an album. Here's one from we hope you die's (should be mentioned much more often here) review of Deiquisitor's Apotheosis:

Quote:
‘Apotheosis’ is a work of death metal as mature and subtle as it is dirt ridden and primal.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Deiquisitor/Apotheosis/1096094/

That's exactly what the album is, and it's really really good.

Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:26 pm 

I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing Empyreal didn't check out either of the last couple of Amon Amarth albums if The Great Heathen Army's got him on a bit of a rant.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:05 pm 

Yeah I mean it had been quite a long time since I lisetened to them much, so felt like I ought to do at least one review even though I'm sure it's not a deviation from their other recent ones... haha.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:10 am 

Before suiting up in my new, albeit heavily stiff Carhart coveralls (as I've had it up to here with shitty belts which fail to keep one's pants up whilst constantly bending over picking boxes and dizzyingly wrapping pallets), I just wanted to preemptively congratulate sweetie for catching up to me numbers wise, as it won't be long before you eclipse me in the standings. I'd also like to thank all of MA exalted writers and contributors for making the Metal Archives such a safe haven whilst trudging the mean streets of Vancouver homeless (non) style. Ass of now, I'm simply so absorbed by work, even if it's part time - I'm still too burnt out and busy with real life crap to write on off days! - that all of my juice is reserved for oh-so-fun and "metal" in its own way console gaming, especially now that I finally secured an elusive ps5 which came with God of War Ragnarok, possible the most brutal hands-on fighter jaunt known to man, woman or demon. Anyhow, I'd like to write a few more when the time or screams come; for now, a big \m/ to my fellow scribes here!

A bientot...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 490, 491, 492, 493, 494, 495, 496 ... 520  Next