* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:55 pm 

colin040 wrote:
robotiq wrote:
Colin's review of Disembowelment sums up many of my feelings on that album. I have never understood all the retrospective hype for that record. It is good, and important, and unique, but is also a bit of a slog to listen to. I prefer Trial of the Bow to be honest.

Thanks for checking. It's a weird album for sure, but it just doesn't deliver 100% all the time. Personally, I'd rather listen to Worm over Disembowelment (even though they're not exactly a copycat).

I mean, Worm is highly influenced from Disembowelment, but they also take on a lot of influences from black metal, especially as of late with the Bluenothing EP and some of their recent merch.

LawrenceStillman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:11 pm 

For me, what Colin think were missing from Disembowelment's album is what made the album good, the lack of deranged passages similar to Hatred For Mankind makes it more enjoyable and conveys the morbidity of death and mysticism itself, instead of trying to envelop you in pure misanthropy and hatred

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:20 am 

Sad to hear Tank's Algy Ward passed away two weeks ago; I duly appreciate Noise Maniakk's lofty tribute. Rest in power, Algy, as one of my most name dropped and esteemed, influential front men. (You just know I earmarked Tank's underrated self-titled album from '87...)

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 12:39 pm 

LawrenceStillman wrote:
For me, what Colin think were missing from Disembowelment's album is what made the album good, the lack of deranged passages similar to Hatred For Mankind makes it more enjoyable and conveys the morbidity of death and mysticism itself, instead of trying to envelop you in pure misanthropy and hatred

Nothing wrong with slower, less riff-centered writing; there are some doom/death metal bands that do that stuff well. I just think that Disembowelment are hit or miss.

Also, everytime you mention that Dragged Into Sunlight record, I just think of Sorrow's Hatred and Disgust instead. :P

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:36 pm 

It's been said already, but good review of Tank's debut from Noise Maniakk there, and a touching tribute to the late Algy Ward. I'd say the only thing they missed was right at the start: Algy was for a few years the bassist of The Saints and played on their first three albums; another important part of his musical legacy right there. The man really was incredibly influential for an artist that doesn't really get named as one of the greats outside of those in the know.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 7:44 am 

He's an interesting reviewer for sure, especially since he's a fellow countryman of mine, and roughly my age as well. A bit verbose at times but he clearly knows his stuff, and his English.

It's the dawn of descending...

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:54 am 

kluseba, I so dug that little chestnut you threw into your Ghost_Phantomime review:

https://metalwani.com/2023/05/paul-dian ... sucks.html

Haha...

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:55 pm 

Im shocked by Empyreal review of Synarchy of Molten Bones….

In a bad way,I often have opposing tastes but its reviews have rarely disappointed me, this simply have three lines and the comparison with Obscura stop.
a little thin…
Democracy can resist the authoritarian threat only if it transforms itself from a democracy of passive spectators into a democracy of active participants, in which the problems of the community are familiar to the individual and as important to him as his private affairs

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:00 pm 

Well that's three whole paragraphs, not just three lines... and eh it's a short album and doesn't really have any substance, so I didn't feel the need to go any further.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:15 pm 

Lol thank for you reply…

It’s my fav album of them so was a bit harsh…
Democracy can resist the authoritarian threat only if it transforms itself from a democracy of passive spectators into a democracy of active participants, in which the problems of the community are familiar to the individual and as important to him as his private affairs

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:27 pm 

I like trying to make reviews as concise as possible if I can.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:25 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

Isn’t a problem of length,i appreciated your review of Liturgica of Batushka(for me is one of best album of last decade)even if short you talk about the disc and music,I didn't find this in the one about DSO.

you underlined certain negative aspects of Sinergy too caricatured in my opinion and you left me with the impression that maybe you heard it once or not enough….

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:37 pm 

Welcome back Acrobat - I did a hand stand when I saw your return to the game!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:40 pm 

Lee Harrison wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Isn’t a problem of length,i appreciated your review of Liturgica of Batushka(for me is one of best album of last decade)even if short you talk about the disc and music,I didn't find this in the one about DSO.

you underlined certain negative aspects of Sinergy too caricatured in my opinion and you left me with the impression that maybe you heard it once or not enough….

That's funny to me since I don't really think I did a good job on the Batushka one. Looking back I only sort of scraped the surface with that.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:31 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:

I had a feeling he wrote it once I saw a new Unbound review. It's an interesting read as always. :)

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:38 am 

Dang, I've my work cut out for me if I'm to render the same kind of savoury and on-point justice to Metal Inquisitor as the valorous Dragonchaser...
(I also wish I could stay tied for 15th place in the standings with empyreal forever, even though we're soon going to be supplanted!)

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:29 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:

Thank you, squire, I will try to do a lot more this summer!

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:11 pm 

LawrenceStillman seems like a promising reviewer and I know he reads this thread, so I am sure he won't mind me saying this. There are a couple of things in his approach that will hinder him going forward, which are easily fixable if caught early. My main bugbear with his reviews is the over-emphasis on the importance of subgenre categorisations. You can see this in statements like:

LawrenceStillman wrote:
This album might be the most accessible avant-garde death metal album (a very huge statement given its weirdness, but considering bands like Portal and Gorguts are in this genre...) ("Nespithe")

This reads like someone who has looked up all the bands listed 'avant-garde death metal' and bunged them all together for some arbitary reason. For Demilich, the band's grindcore and Voivod influences are far more important to their sound. The reason they sound avant-garde is because they were operating outside of subgenre labels. Far better to use 'avant-garde death metal' as a description, not as a label. Yes, there are avant-garde elements, yes it is death metal. But bunging it into a category is a gross oversimplication.

LawrenceStillman wrote:
This album manages to keep the doomy feeling from most death/doom albums released before and since, but the leftover OSDM influences from their debut make the album groovy as hell; even during the doom metal portions ("Mental Funeral")

I mean, this record is an old school death metal album and that is the end of it. Sure, it sounds 'doomy', and it could be included on a list of death/doom records, but to suggest that the band were leaving one arbitary subgenre ('old school death metal') in favour of another ('death/doom') is untrue. We may live in a sub-genre obssessed era nowadays but this was certainly not the case back in 1991, when it was much more subtle.

LawrenceStillman wrote:
I wonder if this qualifies as a borderline case for technical death metal, if it were not for the doom and ambient sections. (Timeghoul)

Again, does it matter what arbitary modern sub-genre label it conforms to? This stuff was recorded in 1992. Why do doom and ambient sections preclude something from being technical? This just doesn't make sense.

Overall, it is good to see new and younger reviewers taking a deep-dive into this stuff, so I'm saying this more as encouragement than anything else.

LawrenceStillman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:55 pm 

Maybe I view things in such a way is because I was not around back then, all these releases are older than me

Thanks for the feedback, though

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:44 am 

It's an interesting point that Robotiq makes anyway, because with most (good) bands you are looking for what makes them exceptional in their sub-genre rather than what makes them typical. Like, all the bands described above are death metal, but the way they express their deathliness is totally different.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:11 am 

LawrenceStillman wrote:
Maybe I view things in such a way is because I was not around back then, all these releases are older than me

Thanks for the feedback, though

I think this is true, yes. I was not listening to this stuff when it came out either - I am a couple of years too young for that (but only a couple). I think what Gaskmask says is very true - looking beyond the subgenre to what makes something exceptional rather than typical. I hope you don't mind me dissecting your reviews in such a way but I thought it might be a useful thing to think about for the future.

LawrenceStillman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:58 am 

I was actually hoping more ppl would dissect my reviews in depth and see what can be improved

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:41 am 

The reason I mention it is because those kinds of statements are a bit of a 'red flag' for me (and probably for others too). They basically give the impression that you don't know what you are talking about, increasing the chances that the reader will stop reading.
This is a shame because it is clear from other elements of your reviews that you do know what you're talking about. So I think it is something that is easy enough to fix (as long as you're aware of it in the first place), just by being a little more 'fluid' in how you view subgenres. Colin040 is a good example of a (relatively) young reviewer who understands this.

LawrenceStillman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:47 am 

Thanks for the heads up, I'll articulate my words better and do my homework on the terminologies

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:32 pm 

yes, don't get stuck on genres and its sub-genres, which is useless…

And one it does not exclude the other…

therefore it is called avant-garde,a a mix of genres that if done right transcends and revolutionizes music…

But in the long run it is doomed to fail

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:26 am 

LawrenceStillman wrote:
Thanks for the heads up, I'll articulate my words better and do my homework on the terminologies

I agree with what people have already said - especially robotiq's nice comment about me :p but what may help is to mention genres with the intention to clarify an album's sound. This can be hard: especially once you're describing an album that's stylistically all over the place, but once you learn to do it properly, it can be useful (see Acrobat's review for Tiamat's Sumerian Cry for a great example).

daniel55
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:30 am 

Yeah, I remember seeing something when I wasn't a poster. And, yes, I need to acquire that D666 record. My connection to the shithouse is slow today since my friend is utilising it to obtain some Battlefield Lan Pack. Slow speeds, no downloads, and a lot of irritation result from a lack of bandwidth.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:21 am 

Situations like that are why I think it can be more valid to list comparable bands as frames of reference rather than subgenres.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:38 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... kk/1880137

This review is a bit weird. While I certainly agree with the EP being revolutionary in how different it was compared to most other extreme metal releases at the time, the amount of pretentiousness in this review was laughable. Like, look at this last paragraph:

Noise_Maniakk wrote:
And, according to Aarseth's criteria of "worthiness" around his music, things are even worse within the genre he contributed to create, with all the black metal scenesters and zoomers being drawn to Mayhem and Burzum for the wrong, most shallow, generally extra-musical reasons. It isn't uncommon, scrolling the "metal section" of TikTok (if such a thing does even exist), to find some reel showing "Lords of Chaos" clips or old Mayhem photos (usually depicting Euronymous and Dead) done by some sentimental fangirl or "alternative" (i.e. poser) edgelord scene kid, often with the most inappropriate background music possible: seeing Mayhem members wearing Sodom, Blasphemy, Sadistik Exekution or Merciless shirts while hearing Slipknot or Lebanon Hanover songs blasting in the background is truly another level of unintentional humor. If I had my way, I'd abolish any chit-chat about rumors, tragic backstories and ideology within black metal - but given the impossibility of such scenario, the only thing I can do is to just go back blasting "Deathcrush" as a metaphorical "fuck you" to the modern black (and, partly, death) metal scene, who's indeed unworthy of sharing common knowledge about such a gem of the late-80's underground.

Like, how do you read a paragraph like that and not get the feeling that Euronymous himself wrote that?

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:20 pm 

Hey Felix my recommend on Vi vet gud er en løgner I want 82% or you will not be more my favorite reviewer…

There one of my fav song of last decade…

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:27 am 

Slater922 wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Mayhem/Deathcrush/252/Noise_Maniakk/1880137

This review is a bit weird. While I certainly agree with the EP being revolutionary in how different it was compared to most other extreme metal releases at the time, the amount of pretentiousness in this review was laughable. Like, look at this last paragraph:

Noise_Maniakk wrote:
And, according to Aarseth's criteria of "worthiness" around his music, things are even worse within the genre he contributed to create, with all the black metal scenesters and zoomers being drawn to Mayhem and Burzum for the wrong, most shallow, generally extra-musical reasons. It isn't uncommon, scrolling the "metal section" of TikTok (if such a thing does even exist), to find some reel showing "Lords of Chaos" clips or old Mayhem photos (usually depicting Euronymous and Dead) done by some sentimental fangirl or "alternative" (i.e. poser) edgelord scene kid, often with the most inappropriate background music possible: seeing Mayhem members wearing Sodom, Blasphemy, Sadistik Exekution or Merciless shirts while hearing Slipknot or Lebanon Hanover songs blasting in the background is truly another level of unintentional humor. If I had my way, I'd abolish any chit-chat about rumors, tragic backstories and ideology within black metal - but given the impossibility of such scenario, the only thing I can do is to just go back blasting "Deathcrush" as a metaphorical "fuck you" to the modern black (and, partly, death) metal scene, who's indeed unworthy of sharing common knowledge about such a gem of the late-80's underground.

Like, how do you read a paragraph like that and not get the feeling that Euronymous himself wrote that?

Noise_Maniakk got my attention with his Psychosis (Cavalera Conspiracy) review.. Although I am far removed from a Mayhem fan (and Deathcrush being their only release I still listen to, sometimes) I actually quite enjoyed reading that review despite him "barricading in some healthy amount of elitism." But I enjoyed this Deathcrush review from a historical perspective mostly.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:31 am 

We need elitists…..

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:42 am 

Awesome job on Night Demon, twist! You nailed it with:

"Overall, Outsider is ultimately a good album that is really only let down by their previous outings raising such a high bar."

Let's hope the Ventura veterans return to their Darkness Remains roots the next go around...

Also, great find, that new Wings Of Steel.

Last edited by CHAIRTHROWER on Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:14 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Nécropole/Yoga/1101225/NausikaDalazBlindaz/83846

Definitely you are in my top 5 reviewers of that site….

Ps If Felix make a mistake with Nattverd you could climb positions…

NoSoup4you22
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:19 pm 

Can we stop with the phrase "rent free" already? Otherwise nice Black Halo review.

Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:00 am 

@Lee
I feel a massive pressure after your last comments... :-)

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:31 am 

Felix 1666 wrote:
@Lee
I feel a massive pressure after your last comments... :-)

You need to increase my salary and I won’t put anymore pressure….stralol…

Nah I’m joking.

I have read your reviews of Vargsang and it seems I wrote them,often happens that so you have an illimitate credit(Strange you don’t cover Graven Perish and Forgotten)

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:08 pm 

Vlad nailed it with his Ironbound review, so I can finally, properly delete it from ye ole drafts page. I also respect Demon Fang's explanation as it's that how I initially felt upon hearing...

thePowermetalLynx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:30 am 

BTW, Burning, I was rereading some of my old reviews to get the feeling of reviewing back in my hands and noticed some typos that made me cringe too hard. So I'm sending back into the queue. Sorry for the extra workload.

Old School is the only School

Consistency is a Virtue
Repetition is a Sin

Call me Shirley or Lynxie

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:30 am 

Ha, your concern is much appreciated, but don't worry too much – edits (especially if minor ones) are extremely quick to deal with.

It's the dawn of descending...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 498, 499, 500, 501, 502, 503, 504 ... 520  Next