Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:07 am 

Got to recommend Absinthe1979. Pretty sure I've argued with this dude at some point in time, but man his reviews are fairly few but brilliant. It helps a lot that he's often taken on albums by bands I'm very familiar with, and isn't afraid to crack his knuckles when he thinks the musicians are out of line. The below review for Cradle Of Filth's newest is what made me come to this thread:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 979/689126
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:53 am 

Dragonchaser is starting to crank up a lot of solid reviews, especially for power metal. Seem to really know what they're talking about and do it all pretty succinctly too.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:53 am 

Gonna second Dragonchaser, always a delight seeing his reviews.

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:45 pm 

Dunno if Drowned could be considered 'underrated', given that his reviews date from the early days of the site. But his reviews were/are the main inspiration for me reviewing anything, and the presence of 'a Drowned review' on a bands page is the best kind of endorsement.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:07 pm 

robotiq wrote:
Dunno if Drowned could be considered 'underrated', given that his reviews date from the early days of the site. But his reviews were/are the main inspiration for me reviewing anything, and the presence of 'a Drowned review' on a bands page is the best kind of endorsement.

Which ones of his would you especially recommend checking out? I don't remember stumbling across that many.

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:17 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Which ones of his would you especially recommend checking out? I don't remember stumbling across that many.

It is often as much about his taste and ability to hunt down amazing stuff, being one of the first people on the site to really do that back in 2005.
But as an example, his "Ad Interitum Funebrarum" (Argentum) review is really good.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:20 pm 

robotiq wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:

It is often as much about his taste and ability to hunt down amazing stuff, being one of the first people on the site to really do that back in 2005.
But as an example, his "Ad Interitum Funebrarum" (Argentum) review is really good.

Ah yeah, I like how that style is really easy to read as well. Quite personal, and given to exaggeration a bit, but definitely the kind of review that will stick with you.

LawrenceStillman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:40 pm 

I'd say Dudemanguy, he reviews a lot of Japanese stuff and more often than not he was the sole reviewer for a lot of albums he reviewed

Also he likes UneXpect so that is a plus

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 5:05 am 

The first two who come to mind are Stillborn Machine and Pratl1971.

Both have a knack for thoroughly engaging negative reviews, written from quite different angles too. Really like Pratl's enthusiasm in positive reviews (found some very cool stuff through their reviews), and SB is really descriptive and analytical in all of them, regardless of the score.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:07 am 

Noise_Maniakk is the most promising new reviewer I've seen in a long time.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4