Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:34 pm 

Not factoring in Bitterman's taste or his gimmick, he was a fucking terrible writer. No one who uses the phrase "Tek Deaf" is allowed to be referred to as readable or entertaining. It's the law, look it up.

Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:18 pm 

Diamhea, thanks for your nice words. And sorry for the awkwardness of my syntax :-)

Be happy that you do not know my German syntax :-)

However, I am sure that my English is by no means perfect, I just can try my best. But believe me, I really appreciate your patience (or should I say generosity?) and that of the other admins.

Greetings aus Deutschland!

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:41 pm 

I shall echo droneriot: Nausika. How a reviewer who reviews so many virgins, is that consistent in description and regularly submits reviews (now over 1000) is almost never mentioned is beyond me. A little clumsy at times, but still very good.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:08 pm 

The frustrating thing for me about Nausika is that her taste and mine collide in strange ways. Sometimes we pretty much see eye to eye but sometimes she really likes things I think were quite shit and sometimes she doesn't really feel things that I really enjoy. I like reading her reviews but it's pretty much impossible for me to use her opinions as any sort of barometer for whether I'll like something or not.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:22 pm 

Roffle_The_Thrashard, though far from perfect, is easily one of the most improved in the 'thrasher' category. Certainly better than another thrasher we all know.

(Seriously? 'Iron Malone'?)

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:58 am 

ApochWeiss: In-depth yet approachable writing style. Perfectly structured, formatted and delivered. On a pure technical level, his reviews are about as good as it gets. A relief for the queue mods and not a bad writer either.
Dudemanguy: Nice specialized taste and deep knowledge of that scene.
Drequon: A bit long-winded but enjoyable and well-spoken.
MikeyC: Surprising number of entries for the challenge, and managed to retain reader attention without devolving into below-the-belt attention whoring.

Impressive guys. With me personally at over 600 reviews and to my knowledge, no positive callouts in the "Reviews Discussion" subforum in its entirely, I am envious of the punctual and endearing impact a lot of you made over this past month. Great work and don't let the fact that the challenge is over stop you from continuing your contributions!

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:47 pm 

Thanks for the shoutout, Diamhea. I'm usually not quite that inspired, but I'll try to review stuff from time to time. Most of what I reviewed was super popular stuff though (relatively anyway); I don't think I have deep knowledge or anything. Maybe in another decade lol.

And hey, you're probably an underrated reviewer yourself ironically enough. I've noticed that people don't mention your reviews a lot even though you consistently deliver them.

PorcupineOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:50 pm 

Dudemanguy wrote:
And hey, you're probably an underrated reviewer yourself ironically enough. I've noticed that people don't mention your reviews a lot even though you consistently deliver them.

Got to second that one, although I don't quite know how you've managed to do it given the volume of quality reviews you put out. That being said, having no remarks made is better than getting a ton of negative ones (I remember being on receiving end of some, and I can tell you that not being mentioned is infinitely better). And you've got good taste in music though, so there's that ;)

It's also good to see that there are a lot of good new writers as well, which is never a bad thing for the site. The review challenge exposed quite a number of talented writers whose reviews I hadn't read beforehand, which was definitely one of the best things about it. Like Diamhea said, I'd like to encourage those that took part in the challenge to keep writing, and that's not limited to the users mentioned above. The more consistent contributors the site has, the better!

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:53 pm 

Apoch has a ton of reviews, as his personal site is usually updated daily. I wouldn't mind seeing him post some more around here though.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:11 pm 

For reviewers with way too few reviews, I'd like to bring up the site's forgotten Metal God Nightgaunt and the site's logo designer VileRancour as, in my opinion, amazing reviewers.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:11 pm 

droneriot wrote:
I'd like to bring up the site's forgotten Metal God Nightgaunt

A highly well-spoken, intelligent and in-depth reviewer. What happened to him?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:16 pm 

PorcupineOfDoom wrote:
And you've got good taste in music though, so there's that ;)

Haha, first time I've ever heard that...
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:00 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
A highly well-spoken, intelligent and in-depth reviewer. What happened to him?

Omnipotent ruminations on #metal.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:00 pm 

Concerning Diamhea: I think he's a good reviewer, but his negative opinions on 'Old Mornings Dawn' cause me to dislike him as a person, and to find his existence troublesome.

:p

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:45 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
Omnipotent ruminations on #metal.

Or drowning his sorrows in Count Chocula and Little Kings.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:01 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
Concerning Diamhea: I think he's a good reviewer, but his negative opinions on 'Old Mornings Dawn' cause me to dislike him as a person, and to find his existence troublesome.

:p

The latter two points are commonplace, the first one inconceivable and unheard of.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:38 pm 

You really don't like your reviews, do you? :lol:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:44 pm 

He just likes to do the weird roundabout way of drawing attention to them by saying that nobody likes or reads them and then acts Taylor Swift level blown away whenever somebody does.

It's okay, I did the same stuff too ;)
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:53 pm 

Err, I have over 600 reviews and I've been mentioned maybe twice outside of this thread.

Meanwhile, pre-Napalm Satan discussions in the review discussion thread revolved around BH regularly, with near-universal praise.

I'm failing to see the connection here. In fact I'd rather draw attention away from them, as I don't want people to actually check out most of the stuff I have appraised. My public image is tattered enough around these parts.

Last.fm

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:05 am 

Don't be like that man. :(

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:14 am 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
Don't be like that man. :(

Like what? Clearly you haven't listened to the stuff I review, which isn't unreasonable as most of it is too obscure (and not in the way you are thinking...) to garner any casual hits.

I dare you to open up my review list, cover your eyes scroll down and point at the screen. Wherever you land, you are forced to listen to that entire album.

Enjoy.

Last.fm

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:24 am 

I don't have access to a computer right now (on my phone, everything sounds shit through phone speakers, can't be assed to reach for earbuds), so that will be tricky. All I will say is... man have you seen the shit on my review list? Some of the worst crap on the archives can be found on it. No way something saccharine and keyboard infused can be as bad as They're Only Chasing Safety or whatever.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:32 am 

You are reviewing easy targets.

The worst stuff on the archives is generally stuff that the masses haven't heard of, and for good reason.

Last.fm

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:35 am 

He's right you know. Ever reviewed something so shitty that you actually gave it a negative score and ended up getting them deleted from the archives? Didn't think so.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:51 am 

Have any of you had a review rejected, and despite having been disappointed at first, you end up glad it wasn't accepted? I wrote an angry review bashing Queensryche's 'Empire' about six or so years ago, and it was mercifully shot down.

On the other hand, I remember having one review that I wrote while drunk that was accepted, and then I went back later (while sober) and corrected typos and generally improved it, and it was rejected upon resubmission. I understand why, since it was most likely a different mod who got the resubmission, but it was still a bit frustrating.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:08 am 

Fair enough, you win. Now, how does giving something shitty a low score ruin your reputation? I do't get it.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:15 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
I don't have access to a computer right now (on my phone, everything sounds shit through phone speakers, can't be assed to reach for earbuds), so that will be tricky.

How about now? You're going to do this.

Last.fm

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:20 pm 

Dammit lemme finish Deathcrush first! :tongue: :np:

EDIT: OK done!
With my eyes closed, I got Rifftera's album Pitch Black. Will report back to you.

EDIT 2: Dammit I had to pick something that can't easily be found on Youtube. FUCK!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:39 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
Dammit lemme finish Deathcrush first! :tongue: :np:

EDIT: OK done!
With my eyes closed, I got Rifftera's album Pitch Black. Will report back to you.

EDIT 2: Dammit I had to pick something that can't easily be found on Youtube. FUCK!

Hold on, I'll PM you the promo.

Last.fm

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:33 pm 

Dude what the fuck, this isn't even that bad. Kinda good, actually.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:01 pm 

Looks like you got fairly lucky.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:02 pm 

I am actually reviewing it right now, as we speak. Nothing stellar or great, but good enough. A nice dose of modernity and heavy grooviness and a change from my usual old-school and poppy thoroughfare.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:04 pm 

Nice, props for following through with the review.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:28 pm 

Eh, this isn't one of my better reviews, I often have trouble writing reviews when the subject is 'competent' or 'average'. Nevertheless, the deed is done.

EDIT: And for the record, I just read your review for Lutece. I want to check out their music now; your review has fulfilled the most basic point of a positive review - a recommendation to those who may be interested. It was snappy, engaging, easy to read and informative.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:45 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
Eh, this isn't one of my better reviews, I often have trouble writing reviews when the subject is 'competent' or 'average'. Nevertheless, the deed is done.

EDIT: And for the record, I just read your review for Lutece. I want to check out their music now; your review has fulfilled the most basic point of a positive review - a recommendation to those who may be interested. It was snappy, engaging, easy to read and informative.

Well, I appreciate that but I don't necessarily agree with any of your points except for the fact that it is "snappy." If I have gotten good at one thing over the years, it is being succinct and not too long winded. I cover the bases quickly and within reason, precluding attention-whoring hyperbole and the like.

Last.fm

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:50 pm 

Well it makes a nice change for me, as someone who generally writes long-winded reviews loaded with hyperbole AND SHOUTING!!!!!11! As proud as I am of my own work, it is nice to read something like that; almost a palette cleanser.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:04 pm 

That's cool man. Notice how nobody else will chime in here because few people actually agree, and I'm not entirely convinced you aren't just saying this to motivate me to write more reviews. That said, I'm writing a review right now since you have given me some inspiration to give a damn. Of course it is for TMO so it won't be posted here for a week or so, but hey what can you do?

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:06 pm 

Dia, I am many things, but I am not a liar. You are a good reviewer, period. Keep on headbanging, friend. :headbang:

EDIT: Nice to know my words mean something to you, enough to make you give a damn. And no worries with the delay, as you say, what can ya do?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:13 pm 

Well, of course they do. I never get any praise or even feedback, so its nice to get that for a change.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:19 pm 

No problem man. Keep doing what you are doing, one thing I admire most in your writing is a consistently high standard of quality after so long.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next