Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:04 pm 

This is a SUPPORTIVE environment

What does that mean? When people come here to ask for help and to get feedback, don't be an asshole. It is in everyone's interest to post positively, support one another, and stay friendly. This should be a place where we build people up, not break them down (no matter how easy or fun that can be). It takes courage to ask for help, especially with something so personal as a review, so respect that people even decide to ask for your input and advice. It's fine to give 'tough love' but it is not fine to ridicule or put someone down because they don't have the skills you have and/or they don't seem appreciative. I'm writing this because some people seem to be under the assumption that there's a 'trial by fire' for newbie writers, or that they're here as 'professional critics' only to criticize others with vitriol and disdain. Just don't. Help, don't hurt. Be fair and stern, not abrasive and condescending.

That goes for those of you who are here asking for help, too... also don't be assholes. By asking for help you are here to get help, and so you should expect that people will criticize your work and give you feedback. It will not necessarily be positive feedback - you will be told that your review will need improvement and you will be getting advice on how to improve it. Don't get defensive. Don't lash out at others. Nobody wants to help (or even be nice) to people who are rude and dismissive. If someone gives you feedback you disagree with, tell them "Thank you, I will take this into consideration" and move on. You don't have to accept anything anyone has to say, however, you might not get your review accepted on the site if you don't. Use this place as an opportunity to grow and learn when it comes to your reviewing. You might be surprised how much you might enjoy this place - and the others here - if you are genuinely willing and open to improving your skills.

Don't think of this message as a condemnation of any of you. But, to be honest, I wish I didn't need to write this.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.