Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:45 pm 

TOTAL VIRGINS: 347
On average, 90% of all reviews each day were virgins!
This was our best summer challenge since June 2010. :)

Participant List GRAND TOTALS
Spoiler: show
stainedclass2112 = 45 (1st Place)
kluseba = 41 (2nd Place)
hells_unicorn = 29 (3rd Place)
GuntherTheUndying = 27
Zodijackyl = 19
Napalm_Satan = 15
iamntbatman = 14
PorcupineOfDoom = 10
televiper11 = 10
raspberrysoda = 9
TheStormIRide = 8
Liquid_Braino = 7
Metantoine = 7
MikeyC = 7
Wykydtron84 = 7
gasmask_colostomy = 6
oneyoudontknow = 6
slayrrr666 = 5
autothrall = 4
Diamhea = 4
Insin = 4
NausikaDalazBlindaz = 4
RapeTheDead = 4
Tzitzis = 4
2Eagle333 = 3
bayern = 3
Erosion Of Humanity = 3
Felix 1666 = 3
MutantClannfear = 3
Deathdoom1992 = 2
Empyreal = 2
Jophelerx = 2
MorbidAtheist666 = 2
StainedClass95 = 2
Suiscythe = 2
Under A Funeral Moon = 2
Crank_It_Up_To_666 = 1
Death_Welder = 1
Draugvir = 1
droneriot = 1
ErikLuv96 = 1
Grave_Wyrm = 1
HanSathanas = 1
joecubbie = 1
Krister Jensen = 1
Larry6990 = 1
municipalstace = 1
Napero = 1
NightTimeMoonshine = 1
PassiveMetalhead = 1
PenguinSlaughter = 1
putrevomitory = 1
STORMM = 1
trieffiewiles = 1
Twisted_Psychology = 1
Vaseline1980 = 1
Wilytank = 1
Xyrth = 1

Individuals who participated for all 7 days:
GuntherTheUndying
kluseba
PorcupineOfDoom
stainedclass2112

Individuals who participated for 6 days:
hells_unicorn
Napalm_Satan

Individuals who participated for 5 days:
gasmask_colostomy
iamntbatman
TheStormIRide

We had a total of 58 participants for this challenge.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:48 pm 

Yeaaaah 6th place like last time. Had I not mistimed that Deathchain review I'd be on the same total as last time too. I'm happy; and this is a good turn out especially given its somewhat inconvenient timing.

EDIT: And the new blood has left his mark. hells, you were interested to see what the new writers could do, and here's your answer. sc2112, you fucking machine! :metal:

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:01 pm 

Awesome work people! I'm happy I managed to get a few in and proud to announce that my daughter was born on Friday! Review challenge baby!

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:07 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
Yeaaaah 6th place like last time. Had I not mistimed that Deathchain review I'd be on the same total as last time too. I'm happy; and this is a good turn out especially given its somewhat inconvenient timing.

EDIT: And the new blood has left his mark. hells, you were interested to see what the new writers could do, and here's your answer. sc2112, you fucking machine! :metal:

Indeed, stainedclass2112 had an extremely impressive showing, very disciplined in making sure that his quality remained constant and that he wasn't cutting corners with description towards the end. The whole approach of hitting one artist's discography is an interesting one, then again, with Buckethead almost every album could be by a different band.

I'm fairly happy with what I contributed, I had to take a day off to recoup from a grueling 2 hour gig the night before Saturday as I got home at around 3 in the morning and had to work with a couple of customers at my business the next morning. Next time around I think I may try to at least break out of the 30 and below mark that I've been boxed in for the past several challenges. I probably won't have numbers like what I did in the early days, but with the right game plan I might be able to break 40 again.

Excellent job all around everyone! :hail:

P.S. - Congratulations TheStormIRide! Awesome news!
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:12 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
Awesome work people! I'm happy I managed to get a few in and proud to announce that my daughter was born on Friday! Review challenge baby!

D'awww congrats man! :)

Sadly this one was very badly timed for me. I was knackered after two weeks of AS exams followed by this post-AS period of mandatory work (you don't start next year if you don't finish it) and the whole UCAS university application, as well as the BMAT (Biomedical Assessment Test). So nearly matching my output during the Christmas holidays, albeit with far less regularity, is pleasing.

As always, excellent work, to all of you.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:25 pm 

:) Yay! This was really freakin' fun. Even though the vast majority of my reviews were of Buckethead albums, I still enjoyed both writing them and being able to revisit some of my old favorite Big B albums, in addition to getting some practice in. Besides, who else is going to review the Buckethead? Hopefully those reviews (and those to come) can help some people more easily traverse his discography.

hells_unicorn wrote:
Indeed, stainedclass2112 had an extremely impressive showing, very disciplined in making sure that his quality remained constant and that he wasn't cutting corners with description towards the end. The whole approach of hitting one artist's discography is an interesting one, then again, with Buckethead almost every album could be by a different band.

Thanks a bunch! I was hoping to keep a steady quality for most of those; I didn't want to get skimpy just to try to fit a few more in. For my first time participating, this has been awesome. Next time, I aim to write not only more, but cover a far more broad of a spectrum of material.

Hope the mods didn't get too sick of sitting through 45 of those :lol:

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:41 pm 

Porcupine, I just got a chance to read that Dementia review. You pretty much nailed it! I would have loved to do that Asguard review, but you'll have to settle for the Gravastar for now!

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:57 pm 

I didn't get sick of reading the Buckethead reviews. His shit is so fucked up that no review or album was clearly the same. It's not like you were reviewing a black metal band or something.

Obligatory Last FM Link

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:43 am 

Well done to everyone. I managed 7 reviews (3 in one day, 4 in another) which is low compared to last time but I just didn't have the right mindset, or a lot of time.

Stainedclass was all class with his Buckethead reviews. Nice!

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

PorcupineOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:08 am 

TheStormIRide wrote:
Porcupine, I just got a chance to read that Dementia review. You pretty much nailed it! I would have loved to do that Asguard review, but you'll have to settle for the Gravastar for now!

Cheers! It was an interesting listen, so I'm glad you gave me that one to review. As for Asguard, you were a little preoccupied this week so I'm not entirely surprised ;) Maybe next time. Happy with my output at any rate, I was aiming for one a day and I managed that. Secret Satan's proved to be a positive addition to the challenge the last couple of times, so hopefully we keep that (or something similar) going for the next one.

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:42 am 

Great work people! I ended up in a higher place than the last time I participated, but I wrote less reviews :/ i really hope that the next time will be better

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:57 pm 

I'll probably revert to the system we had before with the Secret Satan, where it matches tastes. I've also been hearing that many people aren't reviewing their Secret Satan albums for the challenge, which is sadly very disappointing. The whole point of the Secret Satan is to add to the challenge.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:00 pm 

I think the old system was better, because here you have no idea what you are getting at all. With the old one, while you still don't know what album you have a rough idea of what to expect, and people can choose between reviewing something familiar or deliberately going out of their comfort zone. Good call on that one.

Are these review challenges always around June and then December?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:17 pm 

Since 2010 it has been that way. Prior to then it was in May and November or July and December.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:30 pm 

I like secret satan and I hope it stays around in one form or another. Last time it was better because we got them a few days before the challenge so there was more time to listen to it and digest. I know Derigin was busy with life this go and that's cool, we all have real lives. I just felt a bit rushed trying to listen to something I'd never heard before and give it a solid review in under 7 days. And my review quality reflects that sadly.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:50 pm 

didnt participate this time maybe next time ill once again write some shitty reviews.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:14 pm 

Yeah, that's totally fair. I got surprisingly very busy the last week. I kinda wish I had a helper for these challenges - someone to cover me when I'm not available, for instance.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:18 pm 

Just ask for volunteers Deri! Remember that outpouring of help offers on April Fools? I'm sure if you asked at least a handful of people would offer to help. Though realistically you probably mean another mod and then well sorry :(.

Azmodes wrote:

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:29 pm 

Nah I'd accept non-mods. Perhaps next time I announce a challenge I'll put out a call for a volunteer. Good idea, EoH.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:52 pm 

Always happy to help when/where I can!

Seeing as how my site contributions are next to nothing nowadays..... I feel a wee bit ashamed of that but whatever.

Azmodes wrote:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:01 pm 

My Secret Satan was actually well in line with my tastes, so I don't know if I got lucky or what. I've also given two options each time I've done it for the other guy just so they don't have to feel stuck. I, like so many others it seems, just got hit with a bunch of unforeseeable shit that took a massive swath of my time and I just wasn't able to get anything done. I have all next week off from work though so maybe I'll do my own little solo two-weeks-late challenge or something.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Blackwater_Park
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:16 am 

This "Secret Satan" stuff is way funny, too bad I took so long to noticed this topic, but will try to do my best with a couple of reviews now and then.

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:35 am 

Didn't think I'd be #9 with just 10 reviews, which is a lot for me as lately I only write reviews during these challenges. Helped too that I had my Nails' Unsilent Death review written long in advance and just waiting for the inevitable day that they'd be accepting into the Archives.

Tzitzis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:50 am 

Glad there were so many Virgin reviews! I like the challenges and I think I made some kind of progress in the way I write. I hope I will be able to get better and contribute more, not only in challenges.

Let's keep it up guys!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3