Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:41 pm 

Man, it's hilarious how kluseba keeps posting massive paragraphs defending himself but makes a point of telling us that he doesn't care what we think. Who are you trying to convince, us or yourself?

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:35 pm 

WR95 wrote:
The others reviewers to avoid are...Noktorn...

EXPLAIN YOURSELF, FOOL

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

WR95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:43 am 

RapeTheDead wrote:
WR95 wrote:
The others reviewers to avoid are...Noktorn...

EXPLAIN YOURSELF, FOOL

Reviewer to avoid: WR95 (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Last edited by WR95 on Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
meshigene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:57 am 

WR95 wrote:
[Tommy Iommi solo] (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Can anyone travel back in time and abort WR95 with a rusty coat hanger? Because someone who committed such blasphemy on a metal forum should not go scot-free. That Lenny Face is also atrocious.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:09 pm 

Actually, I'm also of the opinion that Noktorn is massively overrated as a writer. No matter how eloquent he was or how insightful some of his thoughts were, he took himself far too seriously for his own good, and that reflected poorly on his reviews. The way he presented himself as some sort of scholar of all things metal was embarrassing, and most of his reviews feel to me as if he's talking down to the reader with the kind of mockingly compassionate condescension that hipsters generally get reviled for, yet somehow he gets a pass for it.

Maybe not an abysmally shitty writer like some of the guys mentioned here, but definitely not one I'd recommend.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:43 pm 

I'm with Xlxlx. I can see the appeal of Noktorn's stuff, but for every interesting review, he has 5 others that aren't too appealing to me. Of course, take that with a grain of salt because I'm probably a reviewing offender in many ways myself, but that's my two cents. Perhaps I'm missing something about his work? I also feel as if he talks down, especially in his negative reviews. I enjoy a lot of his stuff, but I also think he sounds like a dick in others.

UnholyCrusada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:52 pm 

WR95 wrote:
The others reviewers to avoid are ... UnholyCrusada imo.

Considering I've yet to hear any comments about my reviews here, positive or negative, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me where exactly I'm going wrong, or which specific reviews you take issue with. I ask this because I do intend to participate in the upcoming challenge, and anything I can work on to make my writing better will probably not only help quality-wise, but efficiency-wise as well.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:04 pm 

UnholyCrusada rules if only for his Mirror Realms review. Hell yeah.

UnholyCrusada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:10 pm 

Ha, you and Dudemanguy are pretty much the only guys here who have even acknowledged my existence. I think it's equal parts that I don't write nearly as frequently as many others, and that I'm pretty squarely in the middle of the quality spectrum, neither anything spectacular or terrible. I am going to try for a slightly different approach with the upcoming challenge however, see if that makes any difference at all.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:26 pm 

Giving one of the best 200's Pikes a much-deserved 95% is enough to make me a big fan of a reviewer :lol: Especially when it does such a damn fine job of summing up a difficult section of Buckethead's material. It can be tough reviewing those things because there's so many and they're all so unique, so I think the quality of that write-up you did is underrated. You should do more, just like that other guy is doing with a few pikes, efficiently making himself one of my faves in a matter of reviews.

UnholyCrusada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:31 pm 

Perhaps. There's certainly no shortage in supply of ones without a review. :wink:

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:13 pm 

slayer666. Uses the same exact structure each review. Uses the same adjective at least four times per review. I would guess that some labels send him promos or links or something, then he dashes out an over 70% review WHILE listening for the first time, and then we all suffer.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:01 pm 

Agree. He needs to slow down. Quantity never supersedes quality. He writes those mechanical, surface-level webzine type reviews that so many of us dislike. He has potential to be really good if he took his time.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:10 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Actually, I'm also of the opinion that Noktorn is massively overrated as a writer. No matter how eloquent he was or how insightful some of his thoughts were, he took himself far too seriously for his own good, and that reflected poorly on his reviews. The way he presented himself as some sort of scholar of all things metal was embarrassing, and most of his reviews feel to me as if he's talking down to the reader with the kind of mockingly compassionate condescension that hipsters generally get reviled for, yet somehow he gets a pass for it.

Maybe not an abysmally shitty writer like some of the guys mentioned here, but definitely not one I'd recommend.

Agreed, and you're being charitable. I happen to think Noktorn's reviews are all completely worthless garbage, written by narcissistic, pretentious dimwit.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:14 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

Agreed, and you're being charitable. I happen to think Noktorn's reviews are all completely worthless garbage, written by narcissistic, pretentious dimwit.

Yeah, seriously. Hacks with grandiose egos tend to pass for great writers painfully often. As a critic and a writer, he is actually less worthwhile than some of the noobs whose names tend to dominate threads like this.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:36 am 

Feel pretty inclined to stick up for him. Sure he was way up his own ass but he was a fantastic writer who not only described the music very well but made it supremely readable. He could be extremely funny, he could (occasionally) do extremely serious really well. Felt he did as good a job at describing random old albums as he did talking about generic slam album #250000

He certainly had a huge, huge ego but count me in as someone who is very much pro-Noktorn. Up there with cheeses_priced as the best writer this site has seen.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:58 am 

Noktorn is in my opinion the best reviewer to have written for MA. It seems like most of the criticism he gets is for his taste or for his ego. He did like a lot of generic raw black metal and BDM, but he did also turn me onto some really cool shit like Spite Extreme Wing. And besides, having good taste does not make you a good reviewer, and having bad taste doesn't make you a bad reviewer (hi Bastardhead!). As for his ego, yeah he could be quite the pompous douche at times, but half the time it was really amusing and occasionally hilarious. He said on his blog that he feared "Noktorn" had become too much of a character and not who he really was anymore. Either way, he was an absolutely brilliant writer, quite funny at times, very readable and engaging and had a sharp eye for musical analysis. His Blake Judd shenanigans did end things for him here on a really bad note, but that and his ego/taste doesn't change the fact that he was a brilliant writer.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:35 pm 

Actually, his taste was never a factor in my dislike of his stuff. Just his incredibly self-centered approach to writing, because that shit gets annoying and old very quickly.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:40 pm 

A child imitating prozak, amazing.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Xenonas
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:21 am 

I just came to this thread to say that kluseba sucks... But there's plenty of that already. Also Tony Denis - if you give an album a perfect score but in the next 24-48 hours do a complete 180° solely because other reviewers took a shit on it... Fuck off.

The Crazy Old School Music Fan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:19 am 

The Crazy Old School Music Fan is, without a doubt, the worst reviewer on the MA.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:32 am 

Maybe you should get better at writing reviews then.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:03 am 

Haven't checked to see if he's still writing, but I always hated FullMetalAttorney's reviews a whole hell of a lot. Also I'm trying to remember who it was, but there was a guy who was submitting regularly back when I was actively moderating the review queue that was just insufferable and made me want to lobotomize myself every time I had to read through one of his abortions...ah! Brainded Binky! Jesus christ, I hate that guy's writing so much.

Also +1 for the kluseba sucks train.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:40 am 

The Crazy Old School Music Fan wrote:
The Crazy Old School Music Fan is, without a doubt, the worst reviewer on the MA.

Nah, you don't even get the mediocrity crown but you're certainly up there.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:33 am 

Metantoine wrote:
The Crazy Old School Music Fan wrote:

Nah, you don't even get the mediocrity crown but you're certainly up there.

Nobody can take my crown. Nobody!

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:35 am 

1. goes by the name The Crazy Old School Music Fan
2. gives ridiculously low review ratings such as 0-10% to stuff clearly more compentent than so
3. quotes other's criticism of his reviews in his signature
4. brings up himself in the "reviewers to avoid" thread

My attention whore radar may be more sensitive than other's, but come on...

And once again I'm convinced a good thing for the review part of the site would be for the mods to appoint reviewers or to have it be something for people above a certain level of points, rather than to continue it being an outlet for anyone who clearly just want to troll and have an effect on ratings and people's reactions. Not to mention having it constantly visible to everyone using the objective archive (and main purpose) of the site. But I'm guessing that will stay being just me.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:50 am 

Appointing reviewers would kinda reek of, I don't know, nepotism? I don't know. The idea doesn't sit right with me.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:59 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Appointing reviewers would kinda reek of, I don't know, nepotism? I don't know. The idea doesn't sit right with me.

The same could be said for appointing people to just approve reviews, approve bands, etc. It's merely extending the moderator's sum of functions with one extra, and it would extremely likely save the same moderators tons of time and energy going through reviews by trolls, completely incompetent writers, attention whores, etc.

I'm not much of a movie review guy, but don't some of the hugely famous movie/TV review/rating sites at least combine a system of appointed reviewers with a general rating system?

And if going with the point system, there are already some functions that come with having more points than others; functions that have a lesser impact on the site in my view, than what the subjectivity of review ratings has on what's mainly a project of objectivity.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:01 am 

We do have scribes.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:11 am 

Yeah, I know about the scribes, but I thought we were talking about something like limiting what reviews are accepted into the site to those penned by hand-picked writers.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:31 am 

Moderators are already hand-picked. So we already have hand-picked review-approvers and hand-picked band-approvers. Hand-picked reviewers don't have to be nearly as limited as the number of moderators, but just so there is some type of proving oneself as an honest person writing from passon for music rather than as juvenile online behaviour like "let's radically effect the average rating just for the fun of it by giving it 0%". Obviously it's not flawless. But systems based on trusted users are far from as uncommon as it seems, neither on this very site nor on other simmilar ones or in other contexts.

Or perhaps have the rating be decided only by those of the "review team" but anyone outside of the team may submit reviews without ratings. And then reviewers over time can prove themselves good enough to add ratings to their reviews.

Last edited by Dembo on Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:32 am 

Right, so we have something of a middle ground. Mods and scribes have their reviews automatically approved, while other reviews require moderation. So we do, in effect, have "approved reviews," it's just that this status is not viewable by the public. Because reviews are inherently a subjective exercise and we encourage our users to write them no matter their opinions, we attempt to have a middle ground somewhere between zines or something with staff opinions that can conceivably argued as being the opinions of the site itself, and totally unmoderated venues like Amazon. The middle ground just works very well for us. Obvious troll reviews that exist only to alter review scores aren't exactly tolerated.

Dembo, one more time: we have scribes.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:01 pm 

Hey, sorry to play necromancer but this thread was amazingly helpful. Reading through it gave me a better idea of what to cut out of my own material and how to separate good reviews from the bad.

Anyway, while he isn't a bad reviewer by any means, I always avoid reviews written by bayern. He's clearly very knowledgeable and you can tell he writes professionally just from his wordplay but he hands out really high scores like candy. 617 reviews and only one goes under 70%, which was his review of "Into Pandemonium". It's also probably his weakest, not just because it starts and ends with 4-5 paragraphs that could be easily edited out or condensed but because he doesn't really describe the music at all. I don't think he ever mentions that "Tristesses De La Lune" is a full-on Neo-Classical piece, which is definitely something I'd want to know if I'm reading a review, particularly of that length. Overall, I find it really hard to understand what he doesn't like in that album or metal in general, which is really important in determining how useful a reviewer is to you.

Oh well, hope this thread continues. It's too young to die, damn it.

meshigene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:34 pm 

MRmehman wrote:
Hey, sorry to play necromancer but this thread was amazingly helpful. Reading through it gave me a better idea of what to cut out of my own material and how to separate good reviews from the bad.

Anyway, while he isn't a bad reviewer by any means, I always avoid reviews written by bayern. He's clearly very knowledgeable and you can tell he writes professionally just from his wordplay but he hands out really high scores like candy. 617 reviews and only one goes under 70%, which was his review of "Into Pandemonium". It's also probably his weakest, not just because it starts and ends with 4-5 paragraphs that could be easily edited out or condensed but because he doesn't really describe the music at all. I don't think he ever mentions that "Tristesses De La Lune" is a full-on Neo-Classical piece, which is definitely something I'd want to know if I'm reading a review, particularly of that length. Overall, I find it really hard to understand what he doesn't like in that album or metal in general, which is really important in determining how useful a reviewer is to you.

Oh well, hope this thread continues. It's too young to die, damn it.

well, bayern did review a lot of really nice albums, and his reviews are fun enough to read, but he's also given high scores to a couple duds (while apparently highlighting their good points). but then his Into the Pandemonium review is indeed a little too long and, well, bad, and suggests a score of around 40-50% at most, definitely not a 61%. but imo, that still doesn't make him a "retro Akerthorpe", lol. overall, bayern would be a nice reviewer if MA didn't have a score system, but we do, so he's really harmful to the average scores of albums that already had their cherries popped, but don't have many reviews yet, as well as the review score system itself, which really drags him down in my eyes. so yeah, avoid him if you're just looking at the scores to determine if an album is good or not or can't read into the review to determine the critic's opinion on it. though I've gotta say, after reading (not just skimming over) a couple of his reviews I became quite biased towards him because of the surreal amount of dorky wordplay and gaffes that are nothing but endearing to anyone who speaks a Slavic language (not necessarily Bulgarian). so don't mind me, I'm just passing by :-D

and Tristesses de la Lune isn't included in the original release of ItP, so it's no problem that he didn't mention it in his review.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:23 pm 

I don't know.. he picks a lot of excellent albums, but personally i find his reviews not a pleasant read: overlong, sometimes not very focused and his writing is often too clumsy.

I wouldn't say to totally avoid him (a beginner can find a lot of fun obscure stuff) but i'm not a fan

Droneriot is a bipolar reviewer.
The reviews with positive scores are very fun reads, you can literally feel how much passion has for the albums.

The negative scores however are garbage: a mix of over the top hyperbole and granpa simpson rantings.
If you seek accurate descriptions i would avoid them and go straight to other ones

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:33 pm 

Bayern picks cool obscure stuff but i cant stand his rambling, overlong writing style.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:39 am 

meshigene wrote:
"Well, bayern did review a lot of really nice albums"...

Morn Of Solace wrote:
"I don't know.. he picks a lot of excellent albums... I wouldn't say to totally avoid him (a beginner can find a lot of fun obscure stuff)..."

Diamhea wrote:
"Bayern picks cool obscure stuff..."

Oh yeah, bayern is always going to be more useful than the guy who reviews Kill 'Em All for the 30th time. I admire how he sticks to the obscure and as I said, he really isn't bad. He just doesn't appeal to what I want from a reviewer, so I tend to glance over his reviews if I come across them in the wild. I could see myself warming up to his style in the future.
meshigene wrote:
and Tristesses de la Lune isn't included in the original release of ItP, so it's no problem that he didn't mention it in his review.

I had no idea it wasn't on the first pressing. Should have checked that one before I ragged on bayern for not including it I guess :D

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:41 am 

Hey folks; thanks a lot for the constructive feedback and the good words! I love constructive criticism, which doesn't come in leaps and bounds all the time, and here's the old fool taking notes right as we speak, or rather, write (and drink, a pint of Paulaner in this particular case).

But first things first, so back to this Celtic Frost review which was a turning point in my writing "career" here as I received quite a few comments regarding it. The majority of the fellow metal heads found it quite hilarious; they thought I must have been stoned at the time... which wasn't too far from the truth, mind you, as I was drinking, beer and rum (but separately, not mixed in one glass). I only picked the good old Swiss legends' effort cause this guy asked me to choose an album to which I could give "a low score". It beats me why I settled for "Into the Pandemonium"; I have no idea right now... Anyway, I started writing some time after 11pm, on a cold frosty February night, after my folks went to bed. So I was writing, drinking, also listening to the album, and I was also trying to throw a glance or two at this this new horror film ("The Autopsy of Jane Doe") that I started watching. In other words, there was a lot of distraction going on around, all the forces of nature were against my finishing this "execrable" review, as you can see, and although I was merely tipsy when I started it, I was way beyond that stage at the end that was shortly after 2am.

It was pretty much a stream-of-consciousness piece of writing, and when I saw how long the final product had become, I was frankly a bit shocked even for someone who had swallowed a healthy amount of booze during the small hours. But it was 2am, for fuck sake, there was no way I was going to go through this small "thesis" in order to edit it. If I had waited till the morning, I was probably never going to release it, or at least not in its current form. But I submitted it on this very night, that fateful night, and only a few days later I remembered to come back to clear it of typos and all the rest.

I was planning to give it a lower score initially, something within the early-50's, definitely long after The Great Depression... but then this tune came out of the speakers, followed by that other tune, and I couldn't help it. I had to do it, if not for the Swiss metal masters, at least for the football giants Celtic (from Glasgow), and especially for the good old Father Frost aka Santa Claus. So, as you can very well see, there were other important reasons why I couldn't possibly go any lower than this odd 61, a number I selected, and not because the street number on which I live is 61 (which is actually true)...

Now seriously, cause we're starting talking some inordinately high scores here, baby: well, I review music that I like; I don't review music that I don't like, as an unwritten, not carved in stone, rule. I simply try to raise awareness of long forgotten gems, and other more recent obscure entities, that I personally think are worth checking out. About the others, those largely with the perfect scores: these are albums that have become an indelible part of my bloodstream, works of art that I have listened to hundreds, maybe even thousands, of times; ones that I can play, and respectively sing, better than the musicians themselves now; and ones that constitute significant moments of my life.

Yes, I do ramble a lot, just look at this vast sketch I produced here in a matter of minutes, I digress with all kinds of shite that the readers don't really want to know about. But what can you do when all these memories come flooding, and you somehow feel obliged to mention how far you had to travel in order to get this obscure Pestilence demo; or how many shops or studios you had to wander through before you find this elusive German one-album-wonder; or which girl, not necessarily very pretty, and not necessarily very slim, you had to shag in order to finally get a hold of this mythical, prehistoric Maltese doom metal outfit...

Those deviations will be gone, that's a promise. I prefer to leave them for my memoirs which I've already started writing, mind you; and being busy with them I'm sorry to say that my contribution to the site here will be much smaller in the future. Thanks, and cheers again! (with another pint of Paulaner)

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:54 pm 

Honestly bayern, I think if you could just nail the editing, you'd be there. There's always a lot of good stuff in your reviews and you're well above the bell-curve when the chips are down. Thanks for taking some of my criticism on board and I'm really sorry if I went overboard at any point points. I'll raise my pint with you brother, good luck with those memoirs too.

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:27 am 

MRmehman wrote:
Honestly bayern, I think if you could just nail the editing, you'd be there. There's always a lot of good stuff in your reviews and you're well above the bell-curve when the chips are down. Thanks for taking some of my criticism on board and I'm really sorry if I went overboard at any point points. I'll raise my pint with you brother, good luck with those memoirs too.

Cheers, mate, and thanks again for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next