Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:55 pm 

Welcome to the 2nd Diamhea Memorial Review Challenge!

Originally the "MA Virgin Reviews Challenge," this is a time-honored tradition among our reviewers here. Every spring and every autumn, reviewers are encouraged to spend a week writing and submitting as many quality reviews as possible, with the aim to focus on albums with no reviews so far (i.e. virgin albums). Every day, the reviews submitted and accepted are tallied, so that participants can see how they compare with one another and whether or not, altogether, we've been able to surpass previous challenges' totals.

The challenge is named in memory of our friend Diamhea, a long-time contributor to this challenge and staff member here at Metal Archives, who sadly passed away on May 21, 2018. He was the first (and remains the only) person to have ever written 100 reviews for a single challenge!

This challenge will run from Monday December 17 @ 12:00AM EST to Sunday December 23 @ 11:59PM EST.

The magic number to beat is 609. That was set in May 2009. It's high but we can beat it.
The second magic number to beat is 368. That was the total from the last challenge!

Challenge Rules

1. The focus is on virgin albums.
The only albums that count are those that had zero reviews prior to the challenge.

2. Every release listed on the main site is valid including singles, videos, boxed sets and so on.
However please try to refrain from mass reviewing singles for this challenge. That's lame.

3. Eligible releases have to be virgins at the beginning of the challenge.
Multiple people can review the same virgin. There’s no bonus for getting to it first, so no need to hurry – focus on quality instead.

4. Value quality over quantity!
Everyone is welcome to participate, but keep in mind that the mods won't be more lenient during the challenge.

5. The challenge abides by the default time of the site (Eastern Standard time or GMT-5).
Please ensure that you are posting your review(s) within the right time frame in order for them to count.

6. The total number of reviews written will be tallied once a day (under normal circumstances).
Derigin (myself) will kindly do the tallying as soon as possible. Please don't nag him (me).

7. Stay cordial and respectful with one another.
Don't hijack this thread with petty arguments or whining. Remember that the mods are watching (and waiting)...

8. The only reward is our eternal appreciation.
The only prize is knowing that there is an album that previously didn't get any love... that now has a review to call its own.

Hall of Fame

Spoiler: show
General Challenge

May 2006: 75 reviews
November 2006: 110 reviews
February 2007: 231 reviews
July 2007: 239 reviews
December 2007: 274 reviews
May 2008: 322 reviews
November 2008: 360 reviews
May 2009: 609 reviews
November 2009: 489 reviews
June 2010: 605 reviews
December 2010: ? reviews
October 2012: 117 reviews
June 2013 (low-key): 338 reviews
December 2014: 384 reviews
June 2015: 230 reviews
December 2015: 462 reviews
June 2016: 347 reviews
December 2016: 486 reviews
June 2017: 483 reviews
December 2017: 353 reviews
June 2018: 368 reviews
December 2018: 398 reviews

Individual Challenge

May 2006: n/a
November 2006: Corimngul (9 reviews), Cianan (8), Peregrin (7)
February 2007: hells_unicorn (65 reviews), erickg13 (17), Sokaris (15)
July 2007: hells_unicorn (38 reviews), oneyoudontknow (17), CannibalCorpse (16)
December 2007: hells_unicorn (56 reviews), Mors_Gloria (15), Mungo (9)
May 2008: Noktorn (55 reviews), hells_unicorn (52), lord_ghengis (12)
November 2008: hells_unicorn (57 reviews), Perplexed_Sjel (42), caspian (41)
May 2009: hells_unicorn (93 reviews), DeathRiderDoom (89), OzzyApu (84)
November 2009: Perplexed_Sjel (95 reviews), iamntbatman (46), sushiman (36)
June 2010: OzzyApu (97 reviews), Perplexed_Sjel (91)
December 2010: n/a
October 2012: n/a
June 2013 (low-key): dystopia4 (51 reviews), iamntbatman (50), MutantClannfear (47)
December 2014: Diamhea (57 reviews), iamntbatman (53), hells_unicorn (23)
June 2015: hells_unicorn (30 reviews), Zodijackyl (28 reviews), iamntbatman (27 reviews)
December 2015: Diamhea (65 reviews), TheStormIRide (44 reviews), hells_unicorm (27 reviews)
June 2016: stainedclass2112 (45 reviews), kluseba (41 reviews), hells_unicorn (29 reviews)
December 2016: Diamhea (100 reviews), Crossover (58 reviews), dystopia4 (34 reviews)
June 2017: Zodijackyl (53 reviews), gasmask_colostomy and hells_unicorn (50 reviews), kluseba (38 reviews)
December 2017: dystopia4 (56 reviews), gasmask_colostomy (51 reviews), hells_unicorn (35 reviews)
June 2018: gasmask_colostomy (67 reviews), hells_unicorn and kluseba (30 reviews), GOOFAM (22 reviews)
December 2018: gasmask_colostomy (58 reviews), dystopia4 (46 reviews), hells_unicorn (45 reviews)

What is SECRET SATAN? The gist of it is simple. People put their names forward. I randomly match those people with one another. They send each other a virgin to review. They both review one another's respective virgins for the challenge. SECRET SATAN is opt-in and totally optional to the review challenge. You have to put your name forward, either by mentioning it in this thread OR by sending me a PM on the forum. Once I have collected enough names, I'll notify people who their matches are at least a few days before the challenge starts. I'll notify through a forum PM.

Once matched, you must do the following:

Step 1: You will exchange with one another a virgin album for review.
It MUST be an album on this site with no reviews at the time it is shared with the other person.

Step 2: You are required to provide to the other person a link to the album you want him/her to review.
It MUST be available for FREE online and in either a QUALITY DOWNLOAD or QUALITY STREAM. No self-promoting your own albums, thanks!

Step 3: You will review the virgin album you received from the other person for the challenge.
Be prepared for the possibility that it may be well outside your comfort zone. Please remember this is done in good faith!

If you have any problems with the person you're matched with, let me know. I have spare albums for review just in case it doesn't work out.

Signed up for Secret Satan (CLOSED - December 10, 2018):
Spoiler: show
Abominatrix
Cat III
Dystopia4
EzraBlumenfeld
Five_Nails
flexodus
gasmask_colostomy
Goatfangs
PorcupineOfDoom
raspberrysoda
StainedClass95
tahu157
TheStormIRide
tomcat_ha

Have fun! Looking forward to your participation!

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:38 pm 

Let me be the first to sign up for Secret Satan. Best of luck everyone.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:07 pm 

And...WE ARE BACK!!! This time period will work swimmingly for me. Naturally I'll be abstaining from Secret Satan as I always do, but I do plan to try and make a better showing than I did last time. May the best hymen-smasher win! :hail:
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:31 am 

Holiday time for me... will have to pass on it again. Good luck everybody! And, I'll be watching this space for the possible emergence of the more or less paralleled masterpiece.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:48 am 

bayern wrote:
Holiday time for me... will have to pass on it again. Good luck everybody! And, I'll be watching this space for the possible emergence of the more or less paralleled masterpiece.

If it's holiday time, doesn't that mean you have more time? Also, I'm curious about this "more or less paralleled masterpiece". What's that?

This is later than I expected, so it gives me a better chance of actually being ready. I'm in for Secret Satan, which I hope lots of people will join 'cause it's so fun!

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:35 am 

im all up for secret satana

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:41 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
bayern wrote:

If it's holiday time, doesn't that mean you have more time? Also, I'm curious about this "more or less paralleled masterpiece". What's that?

This is later than I expected, so it gives me a better chance of actually being ready. I'm in for Secret Satan, which I hope lots of people will join 'cause it's so fun!

No, it doesn't; holidays largely means travelling for me; I'm travelling here and there, around the world and back, and don't write... not even e-mails.

About the masterpieces, there are always some very good reviews during this period; I don't know, I guess it's the big holiday times or maybe something else, but people tend to produce some truly inspired writings as a possible farewell gesture to the year...

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:46 pm 

:hyper: :hyper: I'm on vacation that week. Sweet! I can finally put up some sort of challenge. Time to hit the random band button and acquire some new music! I'm glad the review challenge is named after Chris, too. He always encouraged me to keep writing. I'm down!

Like your reviews?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:57 pm 

Well that's the week before all of my time off work. Oh well, I'm sure I'll manage two like usual. Maybe I'll do secret satan, not sure yet.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:43 pm 

Sign me up for that secret satan.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:10 am 

bayern wrote:
No, it doesn't; holidays largely means travelling for me; I'm travelling here and there, around the world and back, and don't write... not even e-mails.

About the masterpieces, there are always some very good reviews during this period; I don't know, I guess it's the big holiday times or maybe something else, but people tend to produce some truly inspired writings as a possible farewell gesture to the year...

Enjoy your travels then! And we'll try to write something inspired for your return.

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:00 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
bayern wrote:

Enjoy your travels then! And we'll try to write something inspired for your return.

Man, I'm going to Machu Picchu; in other words, there's no guarantee whatsoever that I'm going to return. If you don't hear from me by January 16th (my birthday), that would only mean one thing: I have transcended the earth plane under the influence of peyote, ayahuasca, psycho-mushrooms, and I don't know what other stuff they have over there... it'll be illuminating for sure.

But you have fun! And, I'll be reading at least... if I can.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:51 am 

^^^^^^Thats a cool fucking holiday.

Like your reviews?

PorcupineOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:10 pm 

Cool, that's the week after my exams so should work better than the last few winter challenges have. Count me in for Secret Satan

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:40 am 

bayern wrote:
I'm going to Machu Picchu; in other words, there's no guarantee whatsoever that I'm going to return.

I've never gone on a holiday with that attitude before haha. I guess you could become a goat farmer and just live in Peru and stay high forever. That might be alright.

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:49 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
bayern wrote:
I'm going to Machu Picchu; in other words, there's no guarantee whatsoever that I'm going to return.

I've never gone on a holiday with that attitude before haha. I guess you could become a goat farmer and just live in Peru and stay high forever. That might be alright.

Ha ha! A goat farmer I'm not sure, but a llama farmer definitely!

And, I'm going to take a crash course in ultimate metal shamanism while there... whatever the benefits of it may be.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:58 pm 

I had a pretty good experience last time, even though life's been mad and I haven't written anything since then. So, I'll do this again. And give me a Secret Satan!
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:46 pm 

Excellent! The Secret Satan participants have been updated. Anyone else wish to join?

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:00 pm 

ugh, I hope it'll work out with all the university stuff but I want to do it and I haven't missed a challenge for the last five(?) chellenges, so sign me up for that secret santa please

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:12 am 

I may not spit out much for the challenge, but I'd like to try out Secret Satan. I've got a couple of picks right now that I think may not be reviewed by challenge time so may as well give them a try and get something unexpected in return.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:33 pm 

^Same here, I don't have the time or inclination to review 50 albums, but I do enjoy the random match-ups for Secret Satan.

@Derigin: Go ahead and sign me up

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:22 pm 

I really should cobble together a list of virgins sooner or later; designing the regimen and seeing if I can stick to it is all part of the fun for me. Unfortunately I have to pass on secret satan again this year; just got too much going on at the moment.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:01 pm 

Sign me up for this. I want to try Secret Satan as well!

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:32 am 

Sign me up for Secret Satan

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:55 pm 

Awesome! I'm going to end the signing up for Secret Satan and set up your matches on Monday, Dec 10th -- a week before the challenge begins. I think that should give you guys enough time to listen and check out the albums you send to each other.

So for those who haven't signed up, you have until Monday to sign up for Secret Satan!

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:56 pm 

I'm in for secret satan as well. Will definitely make it a priority over my other reviews, so I don't end up missing the deadline and reviewing it in the next challenge :P
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:25 am 

Sign me up for Secret Satan.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:59 pm 

Alright - Secret Satan is now closed. I'll distribute the matches today.

EDIT: Done.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

EyesOfGlass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:03 pm 

Looks like this might be a good time to get back in business and start writing again. I must've gotten quite rusty since the last time I wrote, a couple of months ago, but again this might be the push I needed to get back to it. Think I'll play it safe, so I'll tackle small releases but I'm not sure yet. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this!

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:38 pm 

Whoa! Derigin, hold your zebroids! 'Tis 5:36 pm Pacific (N. American West Coast) Time on Monday, so I'm assuming I'm still in...?)

So, am I in then? Am I? Am I?! Eh, am I?!? (urf)

(I'll try to squeeze in a token handful of V-writes as well prior to taking off for Devil's Island...voluntarily, amongst a throng of Japanese tourists, of course.)

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:02 am 

Now, I am by NO MEANS suggesting anybody try this, and I certainly don't intend to do this myself!

But...could someone theoretically just submit dozens of reviews for Sloth records and count them toward the review challenge? Because there are thousands of Sloth records that all basically sound identical to each other, and you could just write the same review for each and every one of them and it would still be accurate.

(Don't worry...I'm not going to try this! And I certainly am not advocating anybody else do this either. I would guess that you guys would probably consider submitting reviews for multiple Sloth records to be a form of "point whoring!")

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:13 am 

LOL, BastardHead did that with the first two Braindrill albums.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:22 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
could someone theoretically just submit dozens of reviews for Sloth records and count them toward the review challenge? Because there are thousands of Sloth records that all basically sound identical to each other, and you could just write the same review for each and every one of them and it would still be accurate.

Well, if you have a series of well-rounded analyses of ten minute tracks of whrrrrrrr, brrrrrrrr, and even the crash of a bowling alley pin that you paid a dollar for apiece, at least you'd get your money's worth while calling them cunts. Those bragging rights would be worth their weight in gold if you could do a hundred Sloth singles without repeating yourself and becoming Sloth, though they do say that singles are generally frowned upon as a bait review challenge gambit. For balance they'd probably halve the imput so you'd have to put in twice the work and end up becoming as awful as Sloth just by too much exposure :puke:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:45 am 

Years ago, there was a challenge where some people posted huge numbers by reviewing scores of singles from classic 80s metal bands (spitting out two short paragraphs about Holy Diver without mentioning the b sides, for instance). So many people were irritated with them gaming the system like that that we actually instituted a "singles don't count" rule for the next challenge or three. We rescinded the restriction with the caveat that y'all behave and act in good faith.

MA has always been much more about the spirit than the letter of the law and we all have a disdain for loopholes and malicious compliance.

Don't fuck this up.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:48 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
Now, I am by NO MEANS suggesting anybody try this, and I certainly don't intend to do this myself!

But...could someone theoretically just submit dozens of reviews for Sloth records and count them toward the review challenge? Because there are thousands of Sloth records that all basically sound identical to each other, and you could just write the same review for each and every one of them and it would still be accurate.

(Don't worry...I'm not going to try this! And I certainly am not advocating anybody else do this either. I would guess that you guys would probably consider submitting reviews for multiple Sloth records to be a form of "point whoring!")

You could review Black Tribe.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:50 am 

droneriot wrote:
Oxenkiller wrote:
...submit dozens of reviews for Sloth records...

You could review Black Tribe.

Obviously the answer is to check out Buckethead.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:00 am 

AND SO IT BEGINS!

Have fun everyone. :)

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:58 pm 

Welp, I did my civic duty for the year. Writing about music is just so hard for me for some reason.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:23 pm 

Got my first one in, so at least I won't get skunked this challenge. I'm to hoping to get at least one a day, but this is going to be a busy fucking week.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:24 pm 

I'm definitely doing another Conception review that's entirely opposite from the one kluseba just put up... also gonna grab the new Arrayan Path and some others soon too.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next