Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:10 am 

It's been a good run this time around, I think I did slightly better than I thought I would when my schedule started falling apart, but I didn't quite match what I did last time. I wonder what our collective count will be this time around given the limited number of participants, hopefully it wasn't our weakest outing since the challenge originally took off.

P.S. - Nice job getting the Wormwitch one in seconds before the buzzer gasmask, you really outdid yourself this time. lol
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:01 am 

droneriot wrote:
Alpha Drone greatly appreciated the wife's permission to write comments.

Also the EP version of "Hymne" is far superior to the album version, the acoustic intro simply works better and the end section is much more dramatic because the keyboard pierces through much more clearly.

Also it looks like the Buckethead discography is almost full, thankfully there should be very little falling back to that in the winter challenge.

The wife was not to know what I was listening to at that moment, because I don't play any of the weird stuff unless I've got headphones. I know that I didn't seem that positive about all the AD stuff, but I thought it was interesting, even if largely unnecessary for my daily listening. Which song are you saying has a better version? I don't recall listening to 'Hymne', but maybe it's 'Swords Forward...'. Does the Coal to Ash compilation have any difference with the originals?

Also, you'll be disappointed to learn that Buckethead's discography is never done and never gets boring to review either. At least we didn't do so many as when stainedclass2112 just ambushed about 40 in a week.

hells_unicorn wrote:
"Sloppy seconds"
+
Nice job getting the Wormwitch one in seconds before the buzzer gasmask, you really outdid yourself this time. lol

I noticed that about Kluseba and you. Got the feeling that you really regretted that after seeing his name below yours, though it was a little much to expect that to be untouched all week.

You and Kluseba also snuck a couple in with about 10 minutes to go, but last minute submissions are my specialty now. A little annoyed to see that Zeingard already did the new Wormwitch last week, otherwise I'd have had them together. Since his view obviously takes the negative side, I might come back to that later.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:22 am 

The second paragraph was directed at Derigin's Kampfar review.

The last Alpha Drone compilation Ash to Coal has remastered versions that have mostly just added compression, a little reverb and a little overdrive to make them sound a little thicker and a little less tinny and scratchy. Also hoped to make significant headway with the third album and maybe finish it before the end of the challenge since it'll have much more involved songwriting and a much better sound (using amp simulation and a proper DAW for the first time) but alas, only half a song done when I had hoped for the whole album. :lol:

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:35 am 

droneriot wrote:
The third album

Well maybe I’ll find myself checking that out next time, you never know.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:59 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
I noticed that about Kluseba and you. Got the feeling that you really regretted that after seeing his name below yours, though it was a little much to expect that to be untouched all week.

You and Kluseba also snuck a couple in with about 10 minutes to go, but last minute submissions are my specialty now. A little annoyed to see that Zeingard already did the new Wormwitch last week, otherwise I'd have had them together. Since his view obviously takes the negative side, I might come back to that later.

I was tapped to review that album for Sonic Perspectives so it was unavoidable, but I was kind of stoked that I had only reviewed 2 albums already hit by others, but then that kinda happened. lol

I have a bad habit of cramming in twice as many reviews on the last day as I tend to average the other 6 days of the challenge, it goes all the way back to my first active challenge in 2007, though back then I was averaging about 8 a day instead of 5 so my total number at the end of the challenge was much higher than what I did here. I think part of the problem is that I tend to go for too long with my reviews, if I took a more concise approach on LPs similar to how I tend to do with EPs I could probably get back into the 60-70 range. I still honestly have no idea how the hell Diamhea managed to review 100 albums in one week without loading up on singles and writing a bunch of 1 or 2 paragraph ditties. He literally must have done nothing else other than eat, sleep and use the bathroom.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:08 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
I have a bad habit of cramming in twice as many reviews on the last day as I tend to average the other 6 days of the challenge, it goes all the way back to my first active challenge in 2007, though back then I was averaging about 8 a day instead of 5 so my total number at the end of the challenge was much higher than what I did here. I think part of the problem is that I tend to go for too long with my reviews, if I took a more concise approach on LPs similar to how I tend to do with EPs I could probably get back into the 60-70 range. I still honestly have no idea how the hell Diamhea managed to review 100 albums in one week without loading up on singles and writing a bunch of 1 or 2 paragraph ditties. He literally must have done nothing else other than eat, sleep and use the bathroom.

I used to have the opposite schedule to now, where I was off on Mondays and Tuesdays and would get a great start but totally run out of steam by the weekend, when I was working harder than usual. After a slightly slow beginning this time, I kind of set a target to write 10 reviews a day, but you can see I finished several just before midnight (it's my midday, so actually much easier) on different days.

Your reviews are definitely longer than they need to be for this kind of challenge to work well. I find writing about 500 words for a full-length can give a solid, if condensed, account of everything I reasonably need to say. For a few albums of particular interest, I think I went to 700 words, but never much above. I always get to thinking that your introductions must kill you to write, because you tend to put a lot of detail into them.

As for how Diamhea made 100, I'm not sure if he actually talked that much about it afterwards (not in the forums, anyway), but it's not quite as tough as you'd think. I notice when you hit a good streak you write about a full-length review every 30 minutes, skipping some tracks on the listen I'd say, but that's fine if you've heard it before. To do 100, Dia needed to write at least 14 every day, which would be 7 hours at that kind of pace. I don't know whether he was working during that week, so it's hard to say how much free time he actually had; however, 7 hours a day isn't impossible if you can keep your focus for that long. He had excellent focus and even chalked up 19 reviews on one of the days, I think. Maybe one day someone will have a shot at that total, though I'm happy admiring his work for now. It's a great record: long may it stand.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:28 am 

If I'd attempt any of that, I'd burn out within a day, I'm sure.

I absolutely love English and I'm fairly confident when it comes to my skills (for a non-native language) but of course it takes a little longer to write and correct sentences, to improve and enhance the overall effect...

There's a chance that I'll be able to contribute more in that winter-challenge, since I hope to find more time for all my beloved hobbies in the colder parts of the year...

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:22 am 

only just managed to squeeze out my secret satan but i did it.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:04 am 

Daily Tally for May 26 2019
Total Reviews: 62 / 369
Total Virgin Reviews: 53 / 332
Percentage (VIRGINS/TOTAL): 85% / 90%

Participant List for May 26 2019
Total Participants: 14 / 53
Today's Totals per Individual:
Spoiler: show
BastardHead = 2
CHAIRTHROWER = 2
Derigin = 1
Ergonal = 1
gasmask_colostomy = 11
GuntherTheUndying = 7
hardalbumreview = 1
hells_unicorn = 10
kluseba = 9
MorbidAtheist666 = 4
PaganiusI = 1
TheSlayFer = 2
TheStormIRide = 1
tomcat_ha = 1

Did not participate this day:
Attema
autothrall
CannibalCorpse
caspian
Cat III
Colonel Para Bellum
Cosmic Mystery
deathmetal69_
droneriot
dystopia4
Edmund Sackbauer
EvilAllen
Felix 1666
FOrbIDen
Grumpy Cat
joH1
Jophelerx
jseijo
KanisMaximus
Lord_Of_Diamonds
Mailman__
Marcohateshipsters
Napero
Naught
NausikaDalazBlindaz
ᴎostalgiʞK
rancid_amputation
raspberrysoda
Re4XN
sharkey
SweetLeaf95
Teh Intelligent Lurker
televiper11
TheDeadEndKing
TheFinalSleep
Twisted_Psychology
unblack_attack
Vaseline1980
we hope you die

Compared to the seventh day of the last challenge, our total virgins of the day are about the same, but our participants are down.

Congrats on gasmask_colostomy for being today's leader!

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:04 am 

TOTAL VIRGINS: 332

On average, 90% of all reviews from the week were virgins! This is just slightly lower than the last challenge, which was at 93%.

We were down 66 reviews and 12 participants from the last challenge.

The 3rd Diamhea Memorial Review Challenge saw a slow start and fewer participants. Nevertheless, we ended strong and this challenge was competitive.

Participant List GRAND TOTALS
gasmask_colostomy = 68
GuntherTheUndying = 48
hells_unicorn = 35
Twisted_Psychology = 30
kluseba = 27
CHAIRTHROWER = 15
Lord_Of_Diamonds = 10
PaganiusI = 7
TheStormIRide = 7
TheSlayFer = 5
tomcat_ha = 5
deathmetal69_ = 4
dystopia4 = 4
MorbidAtheist666 = 4
Vaseline1980 = 4
autothrall = 3
Cat III = 3
Cosmic Mystery = 3
FOrbIDen = 3
Jophelerx = 3
raspberrysoda = 3
SweetLeaf95 = 3
televiper11 = 3
BastardHead = 2
CannibalCorpse = 2
Derigin = 2
Edmund Sackbauer = 2
Felix 1666 = 2
Attema = 1
caspian = 1
Colonel Para Bellum = 1
droneriot = 1
Ergonal = 1
EvilAllen = 1
Grumpy Cat = 1
hardalbumreview = 1
joH1 = 1
jseijo = 1
KanisMaximus = 1
Mailman__ = 1
Marcohateshipsters = 1
Napero = 1
Naught = 1
NausikaDalazBlindaz = 1
ᴎostalgiʞK = 1
rancid_amputation = 1
Re4XN = 1
sharkey = 1
Teh Intelligent Lurker = 1
TheDeadEndKing = 1
TheFinalSleep = 1
unblack_attack = 1
we hope you die = 1

Congratulations gasmask_colostomy on 1st place, GuntherTheUndying on 2nd place, and hells_unicorn on 3rd place!

Individuals who participated for all 7 days:
CHAIRTHROWER
gasmask_colostomy
GuntherTheUndying
kluseba
PaganiusI
TheStormIRide

Individuals who participated for 6 days:
hells_unicorn

Individuals who participated for 5 days:
N/A

Great job, everyone! See you at the next challenge in December 2019!

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:07 am 

well I only did one review but it was clearly the best review of the week so it's fairly obvious that I'm the MVP of the whole thing.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:25 am 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
I absolutely love English and I'm fairly confident when it comes to my skills (for a non-native language) but of course it takes a little longer to write and correct sentences, to improve and enhance the overall effect...

You know, that’s a really good point, it’s hard enough to be able to concentrate on writing in your native language for several hours a day, but a foreign language would make it much harder. I’m amazed that Kluseba has consistently turned in scores of 25-30 in almost every challenge, since (evidently strong English aside), it must be exhausting.

Gunther is the hero here though for almost breaking 50 during a reviewing comeback. I’d donate 2 of mine if the week weren’t already over. Only two, mind, because I beat my own best by 3.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:32 am 

Aye. This was a good challenge for records. Happy to see you beat your best. Also happy to see Gunther place for the first time. There were also a number of new faces.

On a somewhat related note, I'm going to try to fill in the blanks in the Hall of Fame soon, mainly figure out the number of reviews for December 2010, and who won that challenge as well as May 2006 and October 2012.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:50 am 

Btw I singled out Derigin for a comment was because he was pretty much one in two people to review I record that I know, the other being Twisted_Psychology's Corpus Christii review. I feel this challenge has been pretty heavy on obscure stuff, but maybe that's just my perception, just strange considering there's a lot of relatively well-known stuff without reviews. Off the top of my head, the Asphyx side-project with Chris Reifert has no reviews, and the Reverend Kriss Hades live album doesn't either. And most Drudkh side-projects have no reviews. The death metal one Rattenfänger used to have a review but I guess the person who wrote it deleted it, so it's a virgin. Maybe for the winter challenge somebody should compile a list of relatively well-known stuff that's still without reviews.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:05 pm 

Actually, just realized I forgot my old total and found it again when looking at the Hall of Fame to find Derigin’s missing scores. I only beat my best by one, so really feel glad I didn’t give up when I was getting to the last few minutes.

Getting the other score data would be really cool. This contest has its own history and really thrives off that. I hope someday to be part of a team of reviewers that will beat that 609 total from years ago. Because those guys were doing more singles, it might be more difficult, but if a dozen people can knock out three a day, the competition would be enough to get several of them to 50 perhaps.

Droneriot, are you for real that there weren’t many well-known albums that got reviewed? Kampfar’s new one got hit, plus Diamond Head, and I know you love Buckethead really. I don’t really consider Drudkh or Asphyx side-projects to be “well-known”, but that’s accounting for taste as well. The glory of the challenge is finding new stuff.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:17 pm 

Asphyx and Drudkh are definitely more known among metalheads than Buckethead, the latter is more known among Metalocalypse or System of a Down fans.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:36 pm 

Congrats to the top three as well as everybody else that participated. I’m still kicking myself for only getting thirty done this week but considering all the real life crap going on and this being my first active participation, I suppose I did okay. I’ll look forward to the next one!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:50 pm 

Btw I think Nocturnus Horrendus was pretty proud of the last two tracks being his Thorns and Mysticum influenced tracks and it didn't get a mention at all, hope you didn't make him sad.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:55 pm 

I'm reasonably satisfied with how many I did, I probably would have given Gunther a harder time getting that second place slot if I hadn't lost my entire Tuesday to a last minute work thing that had me driving halfway across my state. I'm definitely considering trying to develop a slightly more streamlined formula for my reviews for the challenge, if only because I feel like I'm repeating myself on too many points and falling into my old track-by-track habit from 2006 because I tend to review albums I love more so than hate.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Congrats to the top three as well as everybody else that participated. I’m still kicking myself for only getting thirty done this week but considering all the real life crap going on and this being my first active participation, I suppose I did okay. I’ll look forward to the next one!

30 is a very good outing considering the circumstances, I doubt I would have written anything the very next day or so if I'd been in a car wreck. Until the weekend I was worried you were going to push me out of the Top 3. lol

P.S. - Not to toot my own horn on the point that droneriot made earlier, but I did review the Tronos album, if a Napalm Death side-project counts as a better known album. I'll admit most of the stuff I hit were locked into my insular little power metal dominated world, but there were a few albums that were hit that I think were reasonably well known. But I do agree with drone on his point about Buckethead not being a really big thing in metal circles, I'm something of a guitar shred addict and I only really know about him because of some of the insane guitar solo videos that are floating around YouTube, most of the albums of his that I've heard are really wacky and definitely fall more in line with people who like quirky stuff like Primus and various alternative bands.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:20 pm 

Managed to submit one every day for once. Feel like joining the Secret Satan crew next time. Congrats to those maniacs who wrote more!

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:02 pm 

So I was able to fill out (as best as possible) the number of reviews and totals for December 2010. Here's the totals if anyone is interested:
TOTAL: 274
PARTICIPANTS: 45

hells_unicorn = 85
OzzyApu = 38
Noktorn = 24
Byrgan = 20
wakemeup36 = 14
oneyoudontknow = 10
autothrall = 6
Pfuntner = 6
failsafeman = 5
GuntherTheUndying = 5
Napero = 5
AcidWorm = 4
Empyreal = 3
kluseba = 3
lord_ghengis = 3
MutantClannfear = 3
ThrashManiacAYD = 3
tomcat_ha = 3
AnalogKid = 2
caspian = 2
ConorFynes = 2
CrestfallenKev = 2
Emerald_Sword = 2
NordicFire74 = 2
UCTYKAH = 2
__Ziltoid__ = 1
Acrobat = 1
Adrian_Grave = 1
arany_aszok = 1
ArgentinaMetal = 1
Bloodstone = 1
burnoutfool = 1
Dark Belial = 1
Evil_Johnny_666 = 1
flexodus = 1
GeneralHeavyHMetal = 1
hakimyiahaha = 1
HeWhoIsInTheWater = 1
jelle11101 = 1
MacMoney = 1
Nithoggr = 1
ProjectDissection = 1
saturnword = 1
Son_of_the_Mourning = 1
whensunburnsred = 1

Now just to do the other two missing ones.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:35 pm 

Oh man, I completely forgot about that other 2010 challenge, that was my last truly massive number for a review challenge before I took a break from trying to drive myself insane writing reviews over a 7 day period. While my personal record of 93 involved the inclusion of well over 5 singles (that was just before the 5 single cap was added to the rules), that second best showing of 85 was largely accomplished through a load of EPs, demos and live albums on top of several dozen LPs. I may have to go through my review history to see what I actually wrote for that challenge and how long the average one was.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:41 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Asphyx and Drudkh are definitely more known among metalheads than Buckethead, the latter is more known among Metalocalypse or System of a Down fans.

Haha, I’m kind of surprised that you guys took the Buckethead comment seriously, I thought it was a clear enough joke. I was referring to the fact that Droneriot was rolling his eyes at all the Bucketviews.

Of course Asphyx and Drudkh are well-known, but I don’t see how that makes their side projects an obvious target for reviews: in general, these kind of projects are not as interesting as the main band, nor have such consistent output.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:21 pm 

I dropped out after a couple days and now that I see the final numbers, I feel like shit; I probably could have gotten up there if I had stuck with my output. Granted, there are some who probably wouldn't have been too happy with my extended participation. Ah, well, it was fun and hopefully I can become a better writer between now and the next challenge.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:52 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
I dropped out after a couple days and now that I see the final numbers, I feel like shit; I probably could have gotten up there if I had stuck with my output. Granted, there are some who probably wouldn't have been too happy with my extended participation. Ah, well, it was fun and hopefully I can become a better writer between now and the next challenge.

Unless King Diamond releases an album during the next challenge and you write another review comparing Andy LaRocque's guitar solos to deathcore, I promise not to go too rough on you. :-P
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:43 am 

I'll never be as fast as you guys, but at least three is on par with what I've done in the past. Plus it got me to 50 reviews total and I finally wrote one review I'd been wanting to do for awhile.

Thanks Droneriot for letting me know about Siege of Power. They'd somehow slipped past my attention despite owning the split from when they were First Class Elite and my quest to hunt down all Autopsy related projects.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:30 pm 

Finally able to get around to the other two missing challenges.

May 2006 (as best as possible):
TOTAL: 56
PARTICIPANTS: 31

Drowned - 10
Byrgan - 5
Gutterscream - 5
Sean16 - 3
Velkaarn - 3
6Silver9Tone6 - 2
MettleAngel - 2
Napero - 2
Noktorn - 2
creepingdoom - 1
Aeturnus65 - 1
CannibalCorpse - 1
caspian - 1
dingbat46 - 1
Excrementor - 1
GCL - 1
Innocence - 1
John_Crichton - 1
juanjo - 1
LoDebar - 1
Morbid_Mark - 1
Mustainica - 1
Necrobobsledder - 1
Nightrunner - 1
NimaBlaydz - 1
Nogard_pl - 1
OlympicSharpshooter - 1
orphy - 1
Titus_Endor - 1
Uxorious_widow - 1
Zach2981 - 1

October 2012 (as best as possible):
TOTAL: 114
PARTICIPANTS: 46

androdion = 8
dystopia4 = 8
TheStormIRide = 8
Noctir = 7
Jophelerx = 6
kluseba = 5
Napero = 5
Pr0nogo = 5
autothrall = 4
BastardHead = 4
Liquid_Braino = 4
BlakWulfaz = 3
hells_unicorn = 3
lordazmolozmodial = 3
MutantClannfear = 3
Poisonfume = 3
dismember_marcin = 2
GuntherTheUndying = 2
oneyoudontknow = 2
Vautour = 2
Verd = 2
Asag_Asakku = 1
dannycrs8 = 1
DeathTrax666 = 1
DomDomMCMG = 1
DreamOfDarkness = 1
drouin = 1
endless hat = 1
Lane = 1
Left Hand Ov Dog = 1
linguist2011 = 1
MacMoney = 1
mad_submarine = 1
NausikaDalazBlindaz = 1
RageW = 1
Razakel = 1
slasher47 = 1
TheKEZ = 1
Tiam Kara = 1
TitaniumNK = 1
TyphonTheMetalNerd = 1
Verminswallower = 1
vorfeed = 1
Wilytank = 1
Zelkiiro = 1
Zodijackyl = 1

The Hall of Fame in the OP has been updated!

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3