Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:00 am 

my first venture in this forum, I think... not big on reviews overall, as I prefer listening for myself, but I do check reviews, esp on bands I know and/or like...

on topic... I have known Pale Divine for nearly their entire career. I quite liked them at some point, but have not bothered too much with their more recent releases... I sampled a coupla songs on youtube and that was that.

I read Twisted_Psychology's review of their new album, though, and it made me wanna listen... https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ogy/194956 he's right, too, this is more like a Beelzefuzz/PD mashup ...that works well. might open them to a new audience, too. so, thanks, TP :)

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:29 am 

Colin040 recently wrote one for Asphyx's sophomore and made me remember that I liked the debut but never bothered checking out other stuff.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:18 pm 

aloof wrote:
my first venture in this forum, I think... not big on reviews overall, as I prefer listening for myself, but I do check reviews, esp on bands I know and/or like...

on topic... I have known Pale Divine for nearly their entire career. I quite liked them at some point, but have not bothered too much with their more recent releases... I sampled a coupla songs on youtube and that was that.

I read Twisted_Psychology's review of their new album, though, and it made me wanna listen... https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ogy/194956 he's right, too, this is more like a Beelzefuzz/PD mashup ...that works well. might open them to a new audience, too. so, thanks, TP :)

Glad you like that write-up, aloof! I've been a Pale Divine fan for some time now and Consequence of Time was such a welcome curveball to me. I rather like all the discourse I've seen surrounding the album so far; it's been cool to see perspectives from longtime listeners as well as people who'd never listened to the band before. It wouldn't surprise me if my score ended up trending higher either.

On topic, I tend to only read reviews from albums that I've already listened to in some capacity so I can compare and contrast my own thoughts to the writer's. However, I'll more than likely end up checking something out if I see a given name pop up enough times. There's a long list of bands that I've been meaning to hear and sometimes a well-positioned review can be enough for me to go for it.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:55 pm 

There was a review for Алексеевская Площадь's latest album "Оставить след" that had a 90%. I checked it out and I thought it was pretty good. Might have to write a review for it soon. https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/%D0%90%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%BA%D1%81%D0%B5%D0%B5%D0%B2%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%8F_%D0%9F%D0%BB%D0%BE%D1%89%D0%B0%D0%B4%D1%8C/%D0%9E%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%B2%D0%B8%D1%82%D1%8C_%D1%81%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%B4/857719/kluseba/238242

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:02 pm 

I'm definitely on board with this. There have definitely been albums that I had no interest in listening to until I read a certain review. As far as which ones I read? I'm a bit similar with T_P regarding the familiarity and popping up, but there are also some writers in particular that I follow in general (here and outside of MA).

The Bard with Bright Eyes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:38 am 

For the longest time, I considered Reign in Blood to be the no.1 most overrated thrash metal album ever made until I read super_bum's review of it. I still think it's absurdly overrated, but I enjoy it now.

I hope not

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:28 am 

hells_unicorn got me to check out Dragonforce. I got bored.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:37 am 

I often use reviews to find new music. For instance, I found this Messiah's Final Warning review to be spot on, so I checked this guy's other reviews to know more bands like this one; and it quite worked.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:14 am 

Whereas I sometimes listen to an album based on a single review on some sites, I rarely listen to an album based on a single good review on MA. Honestly. I'm actually more triggered if an album gets mostly bad reviews on MA. However if an album has only one praising review on MA, I sometimes google for reviews on other sites to compare. When there is some actual consensus, I might get interested.
But sofar I can't remember 'one single raving review' on MA actually made me listen to an album.

LawrenceStillman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:46 am 

For me it would be the Slayer debut. I thought Reign in Blood was their best album and then I saw Show No Mercy being above 90% with 20+ reviews so I feel I have to check it out. Now its my favourite Slayer album

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 7:22 am 

Tanuki's rundown of Saxon discography made me want to give that band another shot (late 90s and 2000s album, to be precise).

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:45 am 

Red_Death wrote:
Tanuki's rundown of Saxon discography made me want to give that band another shot (late 90s and 2000s album, to be precise).

Thanks so much! It's interesting you mention that era specifically, because albums like Killing Ground and Lionheart are what made me want to do the whole rundown. Really great albums that are easily missed just because of their unfortunate timing - I hope you liked them!

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:15 am 

Vladimir's toothsome review of Verzauber's Frankincense & Vitriol had me sampling in an a heartbeat, notwithstanding the magnificent, ever Diablo evoking artwork. Much like with Ed Sack's review of candles and wraiths (pre covid, if memory serves), I'm occasionally enticed by the odd black metal oeuvre.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:37 pm 

Here I am again, this time vaunting the noble merits of VictimOfScience's ever enthused reviews for Stormwitch's Stronger Than Metal and Gravestone's Victim Of Chains...

lostalbumguru
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:44 pm 

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:
hells_unicorn got me to check out Dragonforce. I got bored.

the first dragonforce stuff is ok. their first drummer should have done more with his career, he was exceptional

VictimOfScience
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:58 am 

Felix's review of ThrashWall's debut got me listening to it, and it's pretty damn solid.

For the record, CHAIRTHROWER's review of Diamonds is how I found out about Enforcer. Now I got both that and Nostalgia in my collection.

Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:30 pm 

Nice to know, thanks a lot :-)

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:37 pm 

Thrilled to hear I steered a fellow well versed minstrel towards the almighty Enforcer!

Reply to topic