Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:56 am 

I believe another look should be taken at the reviewer Bitterman. He has done 55 reviews and most of them are 0%. He also has made personal attacks against band members in their reviews. He calls a member of the band Oblation a pedophile, because of his mustache. Yes, some bands releases deserve a zero. To give a zero to almost every review that you do and also include personal insults in a review is not really doing a constructive review. I just ask a mod give his reviews another look.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:42 am 

Congratulations! You just did what Bitterman wants, and paid attention to his contrarian and edgy reviews. His work has not been in vain, and once again, knickers have been successfully twisted. Hard.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:43 pm 

Napero wrote:
Congratulations! You just did what Bitterman wants, and paid attention to his contrarian and edgy reviews. His work has not been in vain, and once again, knickers have been successfully twisted. Hard.
Asking to have a member looked at, who calls someone a pedophile and made many other personal attacks is getting my “knickers in a twist?” Okay, if you say so.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:19 pm 

Happy to take a look at bitterman's reviews (there's a thread for doing so here, by the way), but I don't recall his reviews being particularly rule-breaking. Weak at times, but still sufficiently descriptive of the music. It's not uncommon for people to get a bit over-the-top when writing negative reviews, but at the same time, it's usually people who get upset at negative reviews of albums they feel don't deserve it who complain about them the most.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:41 pm 

Derigin wrote:
Happy to take a look at bitterman's reviews (there's a thread for doing so here, by the way), but I don't recall his reviews being particularly rule-breaking. Weak at times, but still sufficiently descriptive of the music. It's not uncommon for people to get a bit over-the-top when writing negative reviews, but at the same time, it's usually people who get upset at negative reviews of albums they feel don't deserve it who complain about them the most.
Thank you. My apologies that I did not see the thread. I can’t honestly say I have ever heard the bands he reviews like Blowtorch Sodomy, Party and Cave of Swimmers. I honestly could give a shit if someone gives a release a zero. It’s really about the personal attacks he made. You know like getting my knickers all twisted. Hard. You would hope if you go to a moderator about someone, they would respond like you. Not fly off the fucking handle and themselves make a personal attack. You would think that a almost 50 year old man wouldn’t make such a childish statement. Guess we know why the good posters from when I first started coming here left and never came back.

Last edited by ~Guest 2944 on Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:18 am 

wizard_of_bore wrote:
Napero wrote:
Asking to have a member looked at, who calls someone a pedophile and made many other personal attacks is getting my “knickers in a twist?” Okay, if you say so.

My apologies. I messed up my words, and gave the wrong impression here. You did nothing wrong, the barbs were meant to go to a completely different direction, but in an overtly concise form to avoid rewarding the behaviour you justifiably question.

Butterman's reviews are intentionally contrarian, attention-seeking, and basically just stereotypical trolling. And just like any troll, he likely gets his kicks/energy/narcissist supply from the attention he gets specifically because of his extreme opinions. It took me years, personally, to get across the fact that quite a few reviews on the MA are actually just acts stemming from desperation for attention, and he is the holotype of that. If he pops up to reply to this thread, you will see Bambi-eyed pseudo-honest explanation that his reviews are written in an earnest fashion, to relay his opinions, and not to troll; that is a part of the act. He likely revels in the light of the attention he gets, and that part is just part where he milks it until the cow's tits fall off. And since the MA is based on the assumption of honesty, and every reviewer's opinions are given an extended and very broad benefit of doubt, his works are likely to stay here, unless there are clearly factually wrong things in them, or they are judged to be too offensive to stay in the current culture and atmosphere.

The best course of action is to find reviewers whose opinions you agree with, and trust them; that, by default, means agreeing with their positive opinions, and that's something you obviously cannot do with BM, given his modus operandi and objectives. He has twisted the knickers here repeatedly, and that will happen again... and that's his sole purpose. Pay no attention to him, it's not worth anyone's time. I hate it when someone gets that attention, that's all.

So yeah, sorry. I came across in a different way than what I intended, it was not directed at you, even if it seemed like that. Let's untangle our collective knickers... mine seemed to be in a Gordian knot, too.

TheMeh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:25 pm 

I appreciate his review for "The Satanist".
Just genuine comedy.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:00 am 

Its all good. Just me being oversensitive. Thank you for everyone's time and I apologize for my neurosis.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:09 pm 

i love how years later bitterman still sparks threads like this, dude sure did something right.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.