Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:05 am 

I dunno. Just starting this thread thinking of Night Demon and how much I'm looking forward to an eventual third full-length from the Ventura, CA natives. That said, I haven't rated an album perfectly since War Dogs' Die By My Sword debut in January 2020 -- weeks prior to this Blowvid madness sweeping both planet and general sensibilities, alike. Insofar as next gem is concerned, I'm hoping - praying really - Night Demon knocks us flat (or dead) the next go-around...I'm also curious to hear from others who've put oracular hopes in soon wigging out to said heavy metal mastery, whichever future, killer album by x band.

*As well, has anyone ever given a band more than one 100% score? (I came close with Dream Troll, but its full-length debut slightly tops its almost as awesome, albeit briefer and more whimsical, following EP. Sadly, the sophomore assuaged less, but am glad to announce its second EP picked up the slack, somewhat...)

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:24 am 

A topic like this can be highly subjective, but judging by the level of care put into their last few relases it's hard for me to expect less than perfection by the next Voivod album

There are also bands that constantly tease my oracular hopes but everytime i feel they are just a little away from perfection (like Tribulation, Sigh and Enslaved) and need just an extra push that may never come

Can't say i'm a valid candidate for a job at Delphi tough. more often than not i'm like "NEW ENFORCER! IT'S GONNA BE AWESOME!!!" and then comes Zenith... (insert poop sounds) :(

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:36 am 

That said, maybe Enforcer is really putting its ear/nose to the grindstone, looking to make up for such tepidity. Also, at this point, perfect scores I believe, are getting rarer and rarer, on my end anyhow. Anything 95% and up, in itself, is a massive achievement. To be honest, if I were to line up the baker's dozen or so of 100% I've allotted in my time (since end of 2015, nearing 700 reviews), possibly only a few truly earn such praise; Flight's A Leap Over Matter is one, yet concede others, if we were to really scrutinize, might drop a 1% or 2.

I think one out of every 100 reviews is about right. (10 in a 1000, say.), as far as 100% goes...(Now, who's to get the Axe? Mouahaha)

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:08 am 

A decade ago I would have said Maiden, but I think AMOLAD was their absolute peak (really, they should have made that their last album, as it would have been the perfect way to round off their career, they could have just kept touring after that).

I can't think of any obvious contenders at present TBH, but then again I'm not that much in touch with the rest of the scene as others are.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:33 am 

OM and Khemmis are a couple bands that have released a 100% album in the last decade so I wouldn't be surprised if either of them managed to do it again.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:45 am 

OM, eh? Can't quite put my finger or nose on them...but Khemmis is solid enough to pull it off twice. Then again, part of me is afraid of rating a band with more than one 100%, as I wouldn't want to be pegged as a fan boy. It would have to be quite the thorough i.e. convincing and detailed as fuck write up, methinks.

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:49 pm 

I don't think there is such a thing, but I am quite convinced that Paradise Lost are incapable of going below 90% in the foreseeable future. Everything from Faith Divides Us... onward has been pure excellence, in both the crushing riffs and gorgeous songwriting department.

Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:08 am 

Enforcer if they can reign it in after a rather disappointing affair in Zenith. Possibly the same deal with Judicator, although something tells me they really want to skinwalk Blind Guardian beyond just doing their take on Somewhere Far Beyond and Imaginations from the Other Side. But you never know. Other than that? Possibly Arrayan Path and Persuader if they really belt it out, and I think they got it in them. I'm open to potential surprises, like Anubis Gate getting their shit together or Hypocrisy unleashing a furious comeback album.

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
*As well, has anyone ever given a band more than one 100% score? (I came close with Dream Troll, but its full-length debut slightly tops its almost as awesome, albeit briefer and more whimsical, following EP. Sadly, the sophomore assuaged less, but am glad to announce its second EP picked up the slack, somewhat...)

Not reviewed yet (I'll get around to it one day) but there are bands who have two 100%s in their discography for me like Motorhead, Sigh and Vader.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:40 am 

Let's also hope the mighty Amulet casts a perfection spell, sooneth...

Agree Arrayan Path is pretty solid, in this potential sense.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:45 pm 

I give everything Havukruunu have put out for the last 5 years a 100% and I'll probably continue to for as long as they continue to put out incredible albums. I get the feeling a band like Esoteric might put something out there that really wows me too; I think I gave their last album a 90%, though I haven't given it a proper listen in like a year.

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
OM, eh? Can't quite put my finger or nose on them...but Khemmis is solid enough to pull it off twice. Then again, part of me is afraid of rating a band with more than one 100%, as I wouldn't want to be pegged as a fan boy. It would have to be quite the thorough i.e. convincing and detailed as fuck write up, methinks.

I could absolutely see Khemmis putting out another great record but I don't know if I dig their sound enough to give them a 100% personally. Like Pallbearer they come off as incredible musicians but their compositions leave me dry. Never be afraid to be pegged as a fanboy though, particularly a fanboy of a newer band who could use the exposure. Your 100% review might mean your favourite band becomes a new listeners favourite too!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:26 am 

Zhrine. Their debut is a definite 100%, and the new songs that they've performed live sound to be at least equally good.

As for when that's going to happen, that's much tougher to answer. Their first album took 8 years to create and release. I don't know how long the new album has been in the works, but the debut was released in 2016, so I won't start holding my breath until 2024 or so. :lol:

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:07 am 

I'd say Cryptic Shift. Their sci-fi prog death/thrash is just enchanting. The debut is strong enough but I expect the second album will go even further down the prog route and they've proven they are tasteful writers so that should be something.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 7:38 pm 

Amorphis. They have been on an insane hot streak since Circle (Hell, aside from Far from the Sun I'd say they've been on an insane hot streak since they started), with each album being more and more great, and both Under the Red Cloud and Queen of Time were essentially perfect records. I am fully confident they will somehow top their last album once again when they do put a new one out.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ᴎostalgiʞK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:57 pm 

If after 950 years Evile brought to us "Hell Unleashed" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lznVHKZn_YI
we can expect a boomallity <90% 100%> album from any band I think Mr. Chair, I'm waiting for anything unique, but today I'm thinking about an Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Depression (from Germany) and why not.. a Burzum release?
(Let's hope not a total turd rehearsal that ruins the waiting will come! {(of course, as Morn Of Solace said, this is highly subjective} :)

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:09 pm 

Craven Idol - Forked Tongues

I know this, because I heard the promo already and cheated :lol:

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:22 pm 

None?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:53 pm 

Instantly thought of Enslaved. Of all bands that regularly put out stuff on major metal labels, Enslaved seem to be the one that just effortlessly entrance their listeners into believing what they are hearing is at or near perfection. I know I personally think of two of their albums they released in the 2010s as being 100% albums (Axioma Ethica Odini and In Times). We'll see how soon it takes them to make another album on that level, which honestly could be any new album of theirs considering the track record they have with creating high quality music on such a consistent basis.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Lilac Seafoam
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:13 am 

Can we run an AI on the database and literally see which band is most likely to release a 100% next?

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:25 am 

Based on the one EP that Schizophrenia released last year, I'd say that their upcoming debut album is a likely 100% for me.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:19 am 

Lilac Seafoam wrote:
Can we run an AI on the database and literally see which band is most likely to release a 100% next?

If we do that, I'd bet that the AI will have some "biases" in certain bands...

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 5:29 pm 

Skull Fist - Their last album was very close, every song has great melodies and overall very well-written structure.
Tortured Demon - Fantastic band, I heard they're making a new album this summer and if it's anything like their debut, it's got a good chance of having a 100% score.
Blood Spore - Their EPs are some of the best of their style. The new album could be perfect.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

~Guest 374764
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:12 pm 

I'm still holding onto that darkspace III I album.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:52 pm 

Hmm. I'd shout out several of the bands in the upper reaches of my 2022 AOTY list - newer bands like Wormrot, Imperial Triumphant, SteppenDoom, Knoll, Ashenspire, Misthyrming, Cloud Rat, Aeviterne and Scarcity along with more established ones like Blut Aus Nord, Voivod and Deathspell Omega, all of whom have great, amazing sounds that I look forward to seeing them develop as well as very strong catalogues up to this point, including great albums from last year of course. No saying their next albums will be perfect but I absolutely think any of them could come out with a 10/10 at some point down the road.

Reply to topic