Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Rowan_Mc
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:26 pm 

I don't think I've ever been awarded more than the 5 points for an "average review", and I'm just wondering what about my reviews, especially my more recent ones, isn't detailed enough to constitute an 8 point review?

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:10 am 

This would actually be nice to know.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:53 am 

I haven't gotten rated in a while since I got scribed (pretty sure you just get the 5 and it never gets judged?), but back in the day there was a combo of lots of detail as expected to go along with something which makes the mod laugh as they read it. Entertainment value is key.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:08 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
I haven't gotten rated in a while since I got scribed (pretty sure you just get the 5 and it never gets judged?), but back in the day there was a combo of lots of detail as expected to go along with something which makes the mod laugh as they read it. Entertainment value is key.

Before being scribed, I got in a small number of 8-pointers, and I can assure you that they are utterly barren of any kind of humour or entertainment value. :lol:

But they were very descriptive, and had some maybe interesting abstract images of what the music is like.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:13 am 

Wait, you get points for reviews? How do you see how many points a review got?

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:27 am 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
Wait, you get points for reviews? How do you see how many points a review got?

Each review gets assigned points from 1-8 (3 is a "bare minimum", 5 is the general score given). The accepted reviews don't note the points on them, but you can follow your points total by logging in and then clicking on your own username. In that way, you can see your points total before and after submitting a review to find how many you got given. If you've been scribed, you'll always get 5 points. (Unless there are any exceptions to that?)
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:19 am 

I flirted with the idea of achieving a 8-points review for a long time, yet pretty much abandoned it after some attempts at more elaborate and detailed writings, which probably ended up being too massive. I'd say it's a special award reserved for natural born writers - a category I don't belong to.

I still haven't lost hope in a very distant future in which I'm scribed, though... :-P

It's the dawn of descending...

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:34 am 

I rarely give out 8-pointers, but when I do it's usually something exceptional that makes for a truly captivating read.

The vast majority (something like 3/4) of all reviews will be the standard 5-pointers as that is the default.

I tend to give out 3-pointers for reviews that are barebones and/or very basic; the type that are acceptable, but could've been a whole lot better.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:05 pm 

I didn't even realise you could get different scores for reviews. Is that a bad sign? :eek:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:22 am 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
I flirted with the idea of achieving a 8-points review for a long time, yet pretty much abandoned it after some attempts at more elaborate and detailed writings, which probably ended up being too massive. I'd say it's a special award reserved for natural born writers - a category I don't belong to.

I still haven't lost hope in a very distant future in which I'm scribed, though... :-P

Dude, you're a very good writer. I always look forward to a new review from you.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:07 am 

Wow, as unexpected as it was, it goes hands down amongst the best compliments I got here. Really appreciated, mate! Could give it another shot then, sometime :nods:

It's the dawn of descending...

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:42 am 

MRmehman wrote:
I didn't even realise you could get different scores for reviews. Is that a bad sign? :eek:

Nah, because getting a score from someone who doesn't pay you, doesn't mean much eh hahaha.
I don't write reviews for scores. I write because I want to write down my p.o.v. If people like one of my my reviews, great.
If not? I don't care and it won't change my feelings about an album anyway

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:49 am 

morbert wrote:
MRmehman wrote:

Nah, because getting a score from someone who doesn't pay you, doesn't mean much eh hahaha.
I don't write reviews for scores. I write because I want to write down my p.o.v. If people like one of my my reviews, great.
If not? I don't care and it won't change my feelings about an album anyway

Morbert is one of those introverted Dutch folks who writes only to satisfy his own ego. :p

But yeah, got to agree - writing reviews for the points seems silly. Getting people to notice them and getting some occasional feedback is cool and that's what it should be about.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:45 am 

colin040 wrote:
Morbert is one of those introverted Dutch folks who writes only to satisfy his own ego. :p

Haha. People who know me personally , know I am the opposite of introvert.
Dunno if I have an ego though hahaha. I just know what I like and what I don't like. And that is pretty much never up for discussion ;)
I feel the need sometimes to write something and that's about it. Nothing more, nothing less.

camjr01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:45 pm 

I'm trying to figure out what being scribed means since I've seen the term over five times here but I've never heard of it before.

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."- Proverbs 12:15

Long Live the West

Do not do it because it feels right, but because it is right.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:56 am 

camjr01 wrote:
I'm trying to figure out what being scribed means since I've seen the term over five times here but I've never heard of it before.

It's a fancy term for getting a privilege from the moderators, meaning that you don't need to submit your reviews to the queue, and therefore (supposedly) you are trusted to police your own review content for quality, factual accuracy, and suitability for the site. There's no set benchmark for becoming a scribe; it should come after writing 100 or more consistent reviews though, as a minimum. Some prolific writers here have never been scribed.

Reply to topic