Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:01 am 

TOTAL VIRGINS: 531

On average, 91% of all reviews from the week were virgins! This is higher than the last challenge, which was at 81%.

We were up 157 reviews and 2 participants from the last challenge.

There were a total of 418 bands reviewed, including 513 unique albums.

The 9th Diamhea Memorial Review Challenge had the most virgins since December 2019, and is the fourth challenge to crack 500 virgin reviews. DanielG06 has achieved a new all-time record of 112 reviews, breaking Thumbman's record by 1 review. Gasmask tied his previous record of 103 reviews. Both DanielG06 and third place finisher Slater922 are first-time entrants in the Hall of Fame. Congratulations!

Participant List GRAND TOTALS
Spoiler: show
DanielG06 = 112
gasmask_colostomy = 103
Slater922 = 44
hells_unicorn = 33
Twisted_Psychology = 31
CHAIRTHROWER = 27
lukretion = 25
MorbidAtheist666 = 11
FontaL = 10
mictjs = 9
Demon Fang = 8
Sean16 = 8
Lane = 7
robotiq = 7
orphy = 6
TheBurningOfSodom = 6
Xyrth = 6
oneyoudontknow = 5
PaganiusI = 5
The Bard with Bright Eyes = 5
LuckyLuke = 4
NausikaDalazBlindaz = 4
Edmund Sackbauer = 3
Empyreal = 3
Felix 1666 = 3
gzusrocker = 3
Lord_Of_Diamonds = 3
we hope you die = 3
bayern = 2
Deathdoom1992 = 2
faithlessasshole = 2
Funeral Fogs = 2
Orbitball = 2
spookymicha666 = 2
sunn_bleach = 2
Tomek8754 = 2
Charbel_Salameh = 1
Commander Octopus = 1
dismember_marcin = 1
Film = 1
Forever Underground = 1
Hames_Jetfield = 1
jackies_eclaire = 1
linkavitch = 1
MDL = 1
Metal Extremista = 1
Metantoine = 1
Napero = 1
nightbreaker33 = 1
pbass0 = 1
TheNotrap = 1
TheSlayFer = 1
toastlord = 1
Troodon_metallicus = 1
UdetBM = 1
WattPheasant = 1
Wilytank = 1

Congratulations DanielG06 on 1st place, gasmask_colostomy on 2nd place, and Slater922 on 3rd place!

This was DanielG06's 1st time placing, gasmask_colostomy's 11th time, and Slater922's 1st time.

Individuals who participated for all 7 days:
CHAIRTHROWER
DanielG06
FontaL
gasmask_colostomy
hells_unicorn
lukretion
MorbidAtheist666
robotiq
Sean16
Slater922

Individuals who participated for 6 days:
N/A

Individuals who participated for 5 days:
Demon Fang
PaganiusI
Twisted_Psychology

The Hall of Fame has been updated. That was a great challenge. See you at the next one in December 2022!

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:01 am 

On a personal note, after hosting 15 challenges since 2014, I am looking to retire and pass on the baton to another host. If anyone is interested, please contact me by PM. I am ideally seeking someone who is a regular here and has a thorough love and appreciation for the challenge. I am happy to share a walkthrough of how I do things, though by no means are you stuck to that, and you're more than free to add as much data as you wish and change things as needed. I've gotten it down to a workload of about 30 minutes every day for the duration of the challenge. Again, if you're interested, please send me a message.

It's been a true pleasure to have brought this challenge back from the dead and to keep it consistently alive all these years. In that time, we've seen records broken, new faces emerge, and a whole community of reviewers grow and prosper. I really hope that the challenge will continue under new leadership. Honestly, I am looking forward to participating myself in future challenges at my leisure, now that I could do that without having to spend time also managing the challenge. Thank you all.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:13 am 

Dang, this was a crazy challenge overall! Great to see that I have finally placed in the Top 3! And of course, I have to give a huge applause to Daniel, who broke the record for the most reviews in this challenge! And I do wish the next leader of the challenge the best of luck as well! :thumbsup:

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:22 am 

Slater922 wrote:
Dang, this was a crazy challenge overall! Great to see that I have finally placed in the Top 3! And of course, I have to give a huge applause to Daniel, who broke the record for the most reviews in this challenge! And I do wish the next leader of the challenge the best of luck as well! :thumbsup:

Thanks, though I think I'm going to take a break from reviews for my own health.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:23 am 

Glad to round out the top 5 this year. Good work, everybody!

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:25 am 

Derigin wrote:
TOTAL VIRGINS: 531

On average, 91% of all reviews from the week were virgins! This is higher than the last challenge, which was at 81%.

We were up 157 reviews and 3 participants from the last challenge.

There were a total of 418 bands reviewed, including 513 unique albums.

The 9th Diamhea Memorial Review Challenge had the most virgins since December 2019, and is the fourth challenge to crack 500 virgin reviews. DanielG06 has achieved a new all-time record of 112 reviews, breaking Thumbman's record by 1 review. Gasmask tied his previous record of 103 reviews. Both DanielG06 and third place finisher Slater922 are first-time entrants in the Hall of Fame. Congratulations!

Participant List GRAND TOTALS
Spoiler: show
DanielG06 = 112
gasmask_colostomy = 103
Slater922 = 44
hells_unicorn = 33
Twisted_Psychology = 31
CHAIRTHROWER = 27
lukretion = 25
MorbidAtheist666 = 11
FontaL = 10
mictjs = 9
Demon Fang = 8
Sean16 = 8
Lane = 7
robotiq = 7
orphy = 6
TheBurningOfSodom = 6
Xyrth = 6
oneyoudontknow = 5
PaganiusI = 5
The Bard with Bright Eyes = 5
LuckyLuke = 4
NausikaDalazBlindaz = 4
Edmund Sackbauer = 3
Empyreal = 3
Felix 1666 = 3
gzusrocker = 3
Lord_Of_Diamonds = 3
we hope you die = 3
bayern = 2
Deathdoom1992 = 2
faithlessasshole = 2
Funeral Fogs = 2
Orbitball = 2
spookymicha666 = 2
sunn_bleach = 2
Tomek8754 = 2
Charbel_Salameh = 1
Commander Octopus = 1
dismember_marcin = 1
Film = 1
Forever Underground = 1
Hames_Jetfield = 1
jackies_eclaire = 1
linkavitch = 1
MDL = 1
Metal Extremista = 1
Metantoine = 1
Napero = 1
nightbreaker33 = 1
pbass0 = 1
TheNotrap = 1
TheSlayFer = 1
toastlord = 1
Troodon_metallicus = 1
UdetBM = 1
WattPheasant = 1
Wilytank = 1

Congratulations DanielG06 on 1st place, gasmask_colostomy on 2nd place, and Slater922 on 3rd place!

This was DanielG06's 1st time placing, gasmask_colostomy's 11th time, and Slater922's 1st time.

Individuals who participated for all 7 days:
CHAIRTHROWER
DanielG06
FontaL
gasmask_colostomy
hells_unicorn
lukretion
MorbidAtheist666
robotiq
Sean16
Slater922

Individuals who participated for 6 days:
N/A

Individuals who participated for 5 days:
Demon Fang
PaganiusI
Twisted_Psychology

The Hall of Fame has been updated. That was a great challenge. See you at the next one in December 2022!

This challenge was great! Thanks to everyone for the kind words and especially to Gasmask for his frenzied competitiveness and dedication. 28 reviews in one day is insane.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:14 am 

What the hell, gas? You wrote as many in the last day as I did all week! (I actually snuck in one yesterday morning which I had commenced on Saturday and wasn't tallied, not it makes a difference in the standings). Returning to my initial query, how many spins did each of those demand? I can't imagine you giving them more than one each! Crazy! I've still a few nuggets left for June but will wisely desist for a week's rest, at least.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:55 am 

Faaaaack, why 103 again?

Will reply more tomorrow, need to sleep.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:40 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Actually, I really dug all those Bolt Thrower reviews, especially your last one for the four way banana split.

That was a fun one to write. Much prefer reviewing stuff with interesting back-story than something that is 'just some music'.

Sean16
Moody Tabulator of Torn Hymens

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:33 pm 

DanielG06 wrote:
Slater922 wrote:

Thanks, though I think I'm going to take a break from reviews for my own health.

Yes, don't burn your wings too soon :) I haven't checked precisely but I'm ready to bet you've been the youngest winner so far. When I was your age my metal knowledge didn't extand much beyond Iron Maiden and Metallica...

Congrats to everyone, it's been a pleasure to participate as usual :beer: 531 is really a good score.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:51 pm 

Congrats to danny boy on the new record, you have done me a great favour by freeing me from the burden of being the biggest nerd in the review forum.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:37 pm 

Excellent job everyone, and a particularly loud shoutout to Daniel for an incredible performance, get some rest bro, speaking from my own experience back in the late 2000s, you'll get a nasty case of computer-head and question your own metaphysical existence if you don't take at least a couple days off.

I didn't end up getting to everything I had slated for this challenge, primarily due to a bunch of stuff coming up that cut me off at the knee during the last 3 days of the challenge, but I don't mind being edged out of the Top 3 this time, I did enjoy hitting some new material, and I did accomplish my one goal of nailing every album that Jowita from Metal On Metal Records sent me, hence the overlap with the stuff submitted by gasmask and the great one who tosses chairs. On another positive note, getting to see Symphony X and Haken kill it in New Jersey last night was a blast, it was my first live concert since the Covid lockdowns in the tri-state area began back in April of 2020.

I may try to go for broke and see if I can finally crack the 100 mark on the next challenge provided I don't get nailed with more scheduling SNAFUs, but I don't think I'll get to 112. Wow!
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Nattskog7
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:25 am 

Hey everyone,

I noted the earlier comments RE my reviews not being counted because I've been mass uploading stuff from my site. That's completely understood, I wasn't trying to win this or cheat or anything of that sort, just get some of my work onto the site which is way overdue but happened to somewhat coincide!

Anyways, it's been great seeing so many cool and deserving records get some reviews that didn't have any! Well done everyone who put the effort in!

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:39 am 

DanielG06 wrote:
This challenge was great! Thanks to everyone for the kind words and especially to Gasmask for his frenzied competitiveness and dedication. 28 reviews in one day is insane.

Thanks Daniel, I can't overstate how much motivation you gave me as well. I'm kind of surprised that you seemed able to fit exams and other things around your writing too, so even better that you didn't totally sacrifice life to win the challenge.

I didn't do myself any favours just writing 4 on the first day, but in the end I didn't have much choice. Monday is always my busiest day of the week and my wife also decided to take a day off for like the first time in a month, so I had to spend my spare time with her obviously. After that, I thought I might have much of the week free, though I ended up with a new part-time job that wasted a lot of time as they fussed over every step of the process. As the challenge went on, I got more and more into the swing and I think I wrote almost half of everything on the weekend and (for me, because I'm 12 hours ahead) Monday morning. I'd be interested to know whether we have a one day record, I know I've never done that many before, but I recall RapeTheDead previously doing something like that to deny Hells a ranking when Thumbman took the record.

This challenge really means a lot to me, but I don't know how often I can do this again, certainly not just committing all my time to it. Maybe in the winter one I need to take a bit of a break, behave like a normal person, and participate more quietly. We'll see.

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
What the hell, gas? You wrote as many in the last day as I did all week! (I actually snuck in one yesterday morning which I had commenced on Saturday and wasn't tallied, not it makes a difference in the standings). Returning to my initial query, how many spins did each of those demand? I can't imagine you giving them more than one each! Crazy! I've still a few nuggets left for June but will wisely desist for a week's rest, at least.

Yeah, those ones on "Sunday" (Sunday/Monday for me) were because I had nothing else I needed to do. The only commitments I had during that period were talking to my parents for a couple of hours and then teaching a class early on Monday. I had listened to almost everything I reviewed at least once before the challenge, sometimes more than once if it was a complex album or I needed refreshing closer to the time. Big releases coming out around the time of the challenge got more attention; I guess I listened 5-6 times to Kreator, Black Oath, Belushi Speed Ball, and several others. So to answer your question, minimum twice. All the in-between time was used up listening, so I might listen to an album on the way to work and then write a little bit as soon as I arrived, then keep listening while writing later. Because I had notes for 90% of the albums I wrote on, I didn't always have to listen to the whole thing while writing, which I would definitely do normally. I found back when I started this challenge that I couldn't do much more than 30 if I was listening everything newly in the week.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:49 am 

That's where I was at, most of the stuff I took on was new to me, I was aiming for 30 but felt I'd stop earlier rather than force myself whilst tired and unmotivated...check out Luvers' JP_Turbo review as she makes such a strong, convincing case for it, I even raised my on score by over 50%!

(I've put Rogue Lords on ice, btw, having reached the 5th chapter (out of 6), impossible-no-matter-how-many-attempts, but am fully digging the new Assassin Creed Origins, which is the best frigging game since Red Dead Redemption 2, and that's saying something!)

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:47 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
check out Luvers' JP_Turbo review as she makes such a strong, convincing case for it, I even raised my on score by over 50%!

The review itself is fine, but I just cannot agree with her. I still find Turbo to a stupid record trying to capitalize on the glam metal trend, and still remains my least favorite Priest record.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:16 pm 

Nattskog7 wrote:
Hey everyone,

I noted the earlier comments RE my reviews not being counted because I've been mass uploading stuff from my site. That's completely understood, I wasn't trying to win this or cheat or anything of that sort, just get some of my work onto the site which is way overdue but happened to somewhat coincide!

Anyways, it's been great seeing so many cool and deserving records get some reviews that didn't have any! Well done everyone who put the effort in!

Hey man, it's good to get a chance to talk to you. Even if you technically didn't participate in the challenge, I did enjoy reading some of your work during my few moments of downtime last week. Basically this thing is a tradition that started back in 2006 where everyone tries to review stuff that hasn't gotten any attention, and over the years the rules have evolved a bit, though it's always been stipulated that the entirety of a review shouldn't be written prior to the first day of the challenge (there are exceptions made for things like making notes or even outlines, and it is a good idea to listen to the albums you plan to review in advance as preparation, but submitting several finalized reviews written weeks or months before the challenge is outside of the established goal of the challenge). It's always a positive to get new blood into these contests, especially since one of our ongoing goals is to top the current cumulative record set in 2009 of 609 total virgin reviews in a week, which coincided with my own personal record.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Nattskog7
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:22 pm 

Quote:
Hey man, it's good to get a chance to talk to you. Even if you technically didn't participate in the challenge, I did enjoy reading some of your work during my few moments of downtime last week. Basically this thing is a tradition that started back in 2006 where everyone tries to review stuff that hasn't gotten any attention, and over the years the rules have evolved a bit, though it's always been stipulated that the entirety of a review shouldn't be written prior to the first day of the challenge (there are exceptions made for things like making notes or even outlines, and it is a good idea to listen to the albums you plan to review in advance as preparation, but submitting several finalized reviews written weeks or months before the challenge is outside of the established goal of the challenge). It's always a positive to get new blood into these contests, especially since one of our ongoing goals is to top the current cumulative record set in 2009 of 609 total virgin reviews in a week, which coincided with my own personal record.

Thanks man, your reviews are really cool so I appreciate the nice feedback on mine! Yeah, I really like the sentiment of it, seems a really nice way to honour someones memory too! Anything that encourages digging through obscure / unknown Metal bands and giving them a shot at some promotion is the basis of why I got into reviewing and a huge pillar on what I built my blog around! That's some impressive record! Now I've actually got round to being more active on this site in terms of posting my reviews I will keep an eye out for next years challenge and get acquainted with the rules and get involved!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4