Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:35 pm 

To answer this question, I think I'm noticing a trend where albums with bad or polarized critical reception around these parts like Sunbather, Vulgar Display of Power, and Age of Winters tend to have the best reviews IMO.

What specific albums do you think attract the best reviews on this site?

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:50 pm 

I'm kind of with you on this one. With stuff like Death - Pierce Me or even St. Anger to an extend, I'm always curious on each diving opinion on those albums and how each person view them differently. Though I also enjoy the albums with extremely poor reception like The Unspoken King or even Hellyeah's eponymous debut.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:05 am 

Mostly not the classics.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:11 pm 

Enmity - Illuminations of Vile Engorgement has a 50% average from 23 reviews and is the most polarising album I've encountered on this site. It has seven 0% reviews and just as many >90% reviews. It's a great example of how some musical elements that can ruin the experience for one person can seal the deal for another person, so each review has a wildly different take on it.

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:23 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
I'm kind of with you on this one. With stuff like Death - Pierce Me or even St. Anger to an extend, I'm always curious on each diving opinion on those albums and how each person view them differently. Though I also enjoy the albums with extremely poor reception like The Unspoken King or even Hellyeah's eponymous debut.

I definitely agree with St. Anger. The whole Metallica discography generally has some... interesting reviews.

I'd also like to throw in Hades Archer's Penis Metal just because it's the most reviewed release on the site, with scores ranging from 30%-90% even though every single review is essentially "yeah this is generic black metal" stated in different ways. The average score of 69% tops it all off too.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

Reply to topic