Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:05 am 

Animalistic wrote:
Anyone willing to offer a word on review ideology, or more specifically where to draw the line in your review content? I'm looking to write a review that stakes part of itself in providing a thesis over what genre an album fits into. I'm not exactly looking to use this thesis as the meat of the review, but I find it an interesting view and a good jumping off point to what makes or breaks the specific piece of music.

In my head, I would like to shed light on why I think people might have some misthoughts on an album, without bringing that actual strife into the review itself. Is writing a review with the idea of using it as a bit of a postmortem, and reviewing it through that specific lens (album is great viewed as blend of ___ and ___ ) worth writing or reading? I've never seen anyone discuss this view point, and believe it to be an exciting way to consume the album and look at a band's progression.

My apologies if this was a bit hard to understand, as I'm having a hard time parsing my own thoughts on what I'd like to make and why it might not be a fair review.

Sounds alright, as long as it focuses on specifics of the album in question. However, you should be sure that the debate is really worth having before you write that. If it was your own weird opinion and had no grounds, people wouldn't really want to read that.

Animalistic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:24 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Sounds alright, as long as it focuses on specifics of the album in question. However, you should be sure that the debate is really worth having before you write that. If it was your own weird opinion and had no grounds, people wouldn't really want to read that.

No weird opinions or straw men here. Just curious if it’s worth making a reader consider an album with a certain perspective. Thank you for the feedback!

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:19 pm 

Putting an album in context and providing a perspective on it that we may not have considered is one of the things that can make reviews worth reading, so I say have at it. Just be sure your thoughts on the subject are substantive, i.e. supported by the contents of the album itself with examples you provide. It could even be the "meat" of the review as long as the discussion directly involves the music itself so readers will get an idea of what the record sounds like and if it's something they'd be interested in.

Let me know once you've published your review. I'm interested in reading it.

Animalistic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:02 pm 

Cat III wrote:
Putting an album in context and providing a perspective on it that we may not have considered is one of the things that can make reviews worth reading, so I say have at it. Just be sure your thoughts on the subject are substantive, i.e. supported by the contents of the album itself with examples you provide. It could even be the "meat" of the review as long as the discussion directly involves the music itself so readers will get an idea of what the record sounds like and if it's something they'd be interested in.

Let me know once you've published your review. I'm interested in reading it.

To be honest, I’m not sure if I see any other way of writing it. I either include the ideology entirely and it bleeds through out the piece, and I use it to compliment (or detract) in my elaboration. Making just a mention of it without any discussion past my theory would be weak for the review, I think.

I’ll keep you posted, and odds are the review will get posted here first. Between work and making music, the review will fall, well, somewhere in my priorities. I have a lot to hammer out, to make my point as clear as can be. With trying to prove that I believe there’s an odd combination of genres going on, I’m finding myself having to spend more time on clearing up my thoughts on the matter, and researching to see if I’m even right or it’s just a gut feeling.

Oddly enough, I was set off on this whole idea by more than just my own feelings. I was looking through the band’s webarchived site and saw that they had listed their sub genres, with black metal being one of them. Yet past that one webarchived page, I’ve never seen them use the tag, nor have I seen anyone else ever make mention of it. So I’m rather passionate about getting this right in hopes of making a direct link to the influence.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:29 pm 

Animalistic wrote:
Just curious if it’s worth making a reader consider an album with a certain perspective.

What is that perspective? It's difficult to recommend a course of action with so little to go on.

Considering that you're having trouble parsing your thoughts in the most general terms, I'd suggest workshopping your premise here before launching into the full review.

What is the new perspective you're hoping to encourage? What's your motivation? What examples are you going to give to clarify your position? Without clarity and precision, this will get confusing pretty fast. If you're going to brainstorm, do it here first and not in your first draft. That can be discouraging and make you drop the project.

So clarify your concept here first. Worry about the review once the basic questions are answered.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99