Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HOT_DOG_DAY_89
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 157
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:16 am 
 

ThrashingMad wrote:
HOT_DOG_DAY_89 wrote:
Voice_of_Reason wrote:
Everyone has a view of some classic album or another that would make them a pariah when discussing it. Let's just all accept this reality and never bring it up in conversation out of mutual shame.


It's not about if his views make him an pariah or not, it's his claim that no one but die-hard Sabbath fans should pick up Heaven and Hell. I've seen this type of thing in other reviews as well. It's ok to disagree with positive reviews on albums you don't like, but pretending that they don't exists is retarded. I'm not saying that's what he did, but it feels like it in the way he expressed him self.


That's retarded. When someone says something like "only for die-hard fans" or "buy used" or "download first", it's simply an extension of their subjective opinion put into a real-world context. They're not literally saying "eschew all other opinions but mine and do what I am telling you to do regarding the purchasing of this album right now."

You're arguing semantics.


I know. But he is not talking about some of the more obscure albums made by Sabbath or anything like that, he is talking about a well known classic. Do you really have to be a die-hard fan to get a classic?

Top
 Profile  
caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:29 pm
Posts: 6313
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:30 am 
 

I wouldn't call H&H a classic. As far as I can tell, the more general consensus (outside of the little MA bubble) is "pretty good but not as good as early Ozzy-era stuff". If he'd done that review for Master of Reality or Sabotage, you might be able to make that call. But he didn't, so that argument of yours is moot.
_________________
https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Top
 Profile  
HOT_DOG_DAY_89
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 157
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:00 am 
 

caspian wrote:
I wouldn't call H&H a classic. As far as I can tell, the more general consensus (outside of the little MA bubble) is "pretty good but not as good as early Ozzy-era stuff". If he'd done that review for Master of Reality or Sabotage, you might be able to make that call. But he didn't, so that argument of yours is moot.


Guess you are right. He is still a kind of an ass in my worthless opinion.

Top
 Profile  
EntilZha
Retired

Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 2119
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:10 pm 
 

Every time there is a negative review for classic Maiden's second worst album after 'Number of the Beast', some moron comes and fucks it up. This time Empyreal is the one who apparently loves classic Maiden at their worst.
_________________
Join my awesome last.fm groups: -1- / -2- / -3-

Top
 Profile  
hells_unicorn
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:32 pm
Posts: 2418
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:27 pm 
 

EntilZha wrote:
Every time there is a negative review for classic Maiden's second worst album after 'Number of the Beast', some moron comes and fucks it up. This time Empyreal is the one who apparently loves classic Maiden at their worst.


While I'm more prone to dislike "Piece of Mind" than "Powerslave", I'm pretty well perplexed at how Empyreal can say that bands such as Heavenly and Gamma Ray don't care about their music being taken seriously anymore and yet lavishes jokes like Edguy's and Avantasia's latest releases with praise.
_________________
My projects:
Frost Giant
Ominous Glory

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Top
 Profile  
MetalSupremacy
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:45 am
Posts: 220
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:23 pm 
 

EntilZha wrote:
Every time there is a negative review for classic Maiden's second worst album after 'Number of the Beast', some moron comes and fucks it up. This time Empyreal is the one who apparently loves classic Maiden at their worst.


Uh, I'm a little confused here. Are you calling me a moron for creating a negative review in a bad way, or are you calling Empyreal a moron for disagreeing with my assessment? :D


Also, to hells_unicorn, what did you think of my Iron Maiden reviews? I don't know if I should really be talking about my own reviews here, but I'm just curious...

Top
 Profile  
hells_unicorn
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:32 pm
Posts: 2418
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:31 pm 
 

MetalSupremacy wrote:
EntilZha wrote:
Every time there is a negative review for classic Maiden's second worst album after 'Number of the Beast', some moron comes and fucks it up. This time Empyreal is the one who apparently loves classic Maiden at their worst.


Uh, I'm a little confused here. Are you calling me a moron for creating a negative review in a bad way, or are you calling Empyreal a moron for disagreeing with my assessment? :D


Also, to hells_unicorn, what did you think of my Iron Maiden reviews? I don't know if I should really be talking about my own reviews here, but I'm just curious...


I'm pretty sure that EntilZha was ripping on Empyreal there, he is fond of dissenting opinions, and I think that particularly holds true on albums that are overrated, which I think "Powerslave" is to an extent, although not nearly to the point that you did in your review.

To be honest with you, your reviews remind me a little of what I was trying to do a couple years ago when I wanted to cover every little tid bit of info around each song on an album (my Master Of Puppets review is the only one left surviving from then in its original form, whereas most of my others were since rewritten). I've grown a little bit weary of long reviews and generally try to streamline my work now, and personally I think you could trim a bit off of some of them. Nonetheless, on certain well known albums like "Powerslave" this is less of a problem, as negative views on such albums do tend to demand an indepth explanation.
_________________
My projects:
Frost Giant
Ominous Glory

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Top
 Profile  
EntilZha
Retired

Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 2119
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:38 pm 
 

MetalSupremacy wrote:
Uh, I'm a little confused here. Are you calling me a moron for creating a negative review in a bad way, or are you calling Empyreal a moron for disagreeing with my assessment? :D

You're both morons. :P
_________________
Join my awesome last.fm groups: -1- / -2- / -3-

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 27389
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:00 pm 
 

hells_unicorn wrote:
EntilZha wrote:
Every time there is a negative review for classic Maiden's second worst album after 'Number of the Beast', some moron comes and fucks it up. This time Empyreal is the one who apparently loves classic Maiden at their worst.


While I'm more prone to dislike "Piece of Mind" than "Powerslave", I'm pretty well perplexed at how Empyreal can say that bands such as Heavenly and Gamma Ray don't care about their music being taken seriously anymore and yet lavishes jokes like Edguy's and Avantasia's latest releases with praise.


I never said those bands didn't care about their music being taken seriously, I said those bands just plain old didn't care. There's a difference. Newer Edguy and Avantasia are good though, and I don't understand why you keep saying that YOU don't understand, when I already have reviews explaining why I like it. I never said you had to agree.

I had that review for Powerslave in my head for a while, but never really had any incentive to write about it until MetalSupremacy's review made me realize how good it really is. It was either that or Piece of Mind, which I was not able to finish a review for, due to it mostly coming out as egregious fanboying. But someday. Perhaps some anniversary review.

And I even said Powerslave wasn't their best album, so...
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: The Platform

Top
 Profile  
hells_unicorn
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:32 pm
Posts: 2418
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:11 pm 
 

Empyreal wrote:
hells_unicorn wrote:
EntilZha wrote:
Every time there is a negative review for classic Maiden's second worst album after 'Number of the Beast', some moron comes and fucks it up. This time Empyreal is the one who apparently loves classic Maiden at their worst.


While I'm more prone to dislike "Piece of Mind" than "Powerslave", I'm pretty well perplexed at how Empyreal can say that bands such as Heavenly and Gamma Ray don't care about their music being taken seriously anymore and yet lavishes jokes like Edguy's and Avantasia's latest releases with praise.


I never said those bands didn't care about their music being taken seriously, I said those bands just plain old didn't care. There's a difference. Newer Edguy and Avantasia are good though, and I don't understand why you keep saying that YOU don't understand, when I already have reviews explaining why I like it. I never said you had to agree.

I had that review for Powerslave in my head for a while, but never really had any incentive to write about it until MetalSupremacy's review made me realize how good it really is. It was either that or Piece of Mind, which I was not able to finish a review for, due to it mostly coming out as egregious fanboying. But someday. Perhaps some anniversary review.

And I even said Powerslave wasn't their best album, so...


"Plain old didn't care" and "Didn't care about their music being taken seriously" kind of intersect, although the former is nice and vague so you can manipulate it to mean just about anything depending on who you are talking to. :p

I've read your reviews on all bands in question, and honestly, the logic doesn't really follow in spite of the explanation. Maybe I'm being unreasonable in expecting logical consistency in people's musical tastes, but it is still perplexing.
_________________
My projects:
Frost Giant
Ominous Glory

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 7504
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:15 pm 
 

I'm honestly surprised that MetalSupremacy's review got accepted. Although to be fair it could be a masterpiece after the first five or so paragraphs and I'd never know. I couldn't wade through all the "woe-is-he-who-stands-alone" bullshit in the opening.

No one is going to (actually, physically) assault you because you don't think Powerslave is good. Just get on with it already!
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
Razakel
Nekroprince

Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:36 pm
Posts: 5710
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:16 pm 
 

EntilZha wrote:
Every time there is a negative review for classic Maiden's second worst album after 'Number of the Beast', some moron comes and fucks it up. This time Empyreal is the one who apparently loves classic Maiden at their worst.



It's really hilarious if you actually think this way, but I assume you're just joking. So what is Maiden's best album, Ye Father of all things metal?

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 27389
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:20 pm 
 

hells, so are you saying you enjoy the new Heavenly album? If so, I believe the same inconsistency in taste could be turned around on you.

Edguy and Avantasia are good because they don't limit themselves to whatever pre-set genre fans want them to play. The music sounds good to me, the hooks are well written, and the variety in Avantasia especially is well done, sounding like a roller coaster ride of emotions.

New Heavenly just sounds like table scraps from Virus, and new Gamma Ray (Land of the Free II, that is, not their latest album) just sounded uninspired and derivative of their old material.

Honestly, saying that one doesn't understand how another would praise a band/album is kind of silly to me. I never agreed with your assertions that the new Freedom Call was good, but you explained why you like it in a mature way, and that's good enough.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: The Platform


Last edited by Empyreal on Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
hells_unicorn
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:32 pm
Posts: 2418
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:21 pm 
 

Razakel wrote:
EntilZha wrote:
Every time there is a negative review for classic Maiden's second worst album after 'Number of the Beast', some moron comes and fucks it up. This time Empyreal is the one who apparently loves classic Maiden at their worst.



It's really hilarious if you actually think this way, but I assume you're just joking. So what is Maiden's best album, Ye Father of all things metal?


I'm putting bets in that it'll be one of the two Di'anno albums, probably the 1st one. But if he picked Killers, I'd have to agree with him.

Empyreal wrote:
hells, so are you saying you enjoy the new Heavenly album? If so, I believe the same inconsistency in taste could be turned around on you.


In what way? I do like the new Heavenly album, though I would say it is the weakest one they've put out. I gave Land Of The Free II a high score, though I think I will probably lower it by about 10 points now that the initial euphoria at a better album than Majestic has worn off.
_________________
My projects:
Frost Giant
Ominous Glory

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 27389
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:27 pm 
 

Well, if you're criticizing my reviews because I said that the new Heavenly didn't seem to care, while praising the new Edguy...then certainly the reverse would be true for you. Or maybe I'm just confused.

Carpe Diem is just such an annoying album though.

I think it's just that the two of us value very different things in music. You seem to praise a lot of stuff I find rather generic or bland, and I guess I like some stuff you just don't appreciate much.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: The Platform

Top
 Profile  
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:45 am
Posts: 11863
Location: In the Arena
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:14 pm 
 

MetalSupremacy's Powerslave review could've used a lot of editing. It isn't until the 10th paragraph we actually get any content, after pages of "why do people like this", "at first I didn't like it, then I did, then I didn't", and "THIS SUX BLARGGHH". Finally he does start to go into details, but by then my interest is fading fast and I'm having trouble keeping myself from floating off into dreams of what I'd write in my own Powerslave review. The poor fellow repeats himself quite often, too, such that I wonder if any serious editing when into it at all.

MetalSupremacy wrote:
Frequently, a song on this album will start with a harmonised melodic riff, keep it going for a while, then get heavy a little while later, before going back to the harmonised riff, and then an idiotic clean break will often follow, something completely unmetal. Used properly in moderation, clean breaks can work to break the tension in a song and provide a contrast to the heaviness before and then after them. Overusing them, on the other hand, is just annoying and, like the harmonised melodic riffs with zero heaviness, serves little purpose other than to make the songs more accessible to non-metallers. And that's another disgusting "quality" that this album possesses, something that is such an enemy of everything truly metal and so clearly a pop aesthetic that it should be enough to make any real metalhead smash the album into oblivion.

Seriously, how can anyone not see the obvious poppy tendencies that are so blatantly on display here all over the album? This album's fans probably think the cheesy harmonised melodic riffs with no heaviness and the clean breaks are "epic" elements that enhance the album's proto-power metal elements. What utter tosh.

The main points are:
1. Harmonized riffs that aren't heavy are used a lot.
2. Clean breaks, when overused, are bad. Powerslave overuses them.
3. Points 1 and 2 are not metal elements, but rather pop elements, and are not epic.
4. Seriously, how can anyone not see that?
_________________
MorbidBlood wrote:
So the winner is Destruction and Infernal Overkill is the motherfucking skullcrushing poserkilling satan-worshiping 666 FUCK YOU greatest german thrash record.


Last edited by failsafeman on Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 27389
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:18 pm 
 

The worst thing about the negative Powerslave review is statements like, "they sing along with the chorus of Two Minutes to Midnight, which is something that happens at pop concerts, so it must be a pop song," or whatever it was that he wrote. There were others, too, but just dumb statements like that make it hard to take his review seriously at all.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: The Platform

Top
 Profile  
Razakel
Nekroprince

Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:36 pm
Posts: 5710
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:18 pm 
 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Razakel wrote:
EntilZha wrote:
Every time there is a negative review for classic Maiden's second worst album after 'Number of the Beast', some moron comes and fucks it up. This time Empyreal is the one who apparently loves classic Maiden at their worst.



It's really hilarious if you actually think this way, but I assume you're just joking. So what is Maiden's best album, Ye Father of all things metal?

I'm putting bets in that it'll be one of the two Di'anno albums, probably the 1st one. But if he picked Killers, I'd have to agree with him.


I thought your favourite was Somewhere In Time? I've thought long and hard about a favourite Maiden album. I'd say the first half of Piece of Mind, lol. As far as consistency goes, probably Powerslave.

Top
 Profile  
PriestofSadWings
Bishop of Dark Spaces

Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:29 pm
Posts: 575
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:33 pm 
 

Empyreal wrote:
The worst thing about the negative Powerslave review is statements like, "they sing along with the chorus of Two Minutes to Midnight, which is something that happens at pop concerts, so it must be a pop song," or whatever it was that he wrote. There were others, too, but just dumb statements like that make it hard to take his review seriously at all.


What I didn't like about the review was the "HEAVY DISTORTED GUITAR RIFFS" thing. Riffs, as far as I'm concerned are just one musical element in metal, and a melody or chord progression can be just as effective at getting people's heads to bang as a great riff. You can have all the great riffs in the world, but just lining them up and playing them won't guarantee your songs are good or even memorable. You also have to consider the way songs are put together, something he really didn't do.
_________________
The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
In the interests of fairness, Japan is not allowed in any ridiculousness contests.

Top
 Profile  
hells_unicorn
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:32 pm
Posts: 2418
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:31 pm 
 

Razakel wrote:
hells_unicorn wrote:
Razakel wrote:
EntilZha wrote:
Every time there is a negative review for classic Maiden's second worst album after 'Number of the Beast', some moron comes and fucks it up. This time Empyreal is the one who apparently loves classic Maiden at their worst.



It's really hilarious if you actually think this way, but I assume you're just joking. So what is Maiden's best album, Ye Father of all things metal?

I'm putting bets in that it'll be one of the two Di'anno albums, probably the 1st one. But if he picked Killers, I'd have to agree with him.


I thought your favourite was Somewhere In Time? I've thought long and hard about a favourite Maiden album. I'd say the first half of Piece of Mind, lol. As far as consistency goes, probably Powerslave.


Those two albums are sort of tied for 1st actually, although I treat Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son as being part of a different era in which the band started experimenting a bit, thus separated from Powerslave and everything that came before it. If I had to pick between the two, I'd probably go with "Somewhere In Time" by a nose, but every time I hear "The Ides Of March" I go nuts, same story with "Purgatory" and "Killers".
_________________
My projects:
Frost Giant
Ominous Glory

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Top
 Profile  
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:45 am
Posts: 11863
Location: In the Arena
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:51 am 
 

PriestofSadWings wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
The worst thing about the negative Powerslave review is statements like, "they sing along with the chorus of Two Minutes to Midnight, which is something that happens at pop concerts, so it must be a pop song," or whatever it was that he wrote. There were others, too, but just dumb statements like that make it hard to take his review seriously at all.

What I didn't like about the review was the "HEAVY DISTORTED GUITAR RIFFS" thing. Riffs, as far as I'm concerned are just one musical element in metal, and a melody or chord progression can be just as effective at getting people's heads to bang as a great riff. You can have all the great riffs in the world, but just lining them up and playing them won't guarantee your songs are good or even memorable. You also have to consider the way songs are put together, something he really didn't do.

While I agree that HEAVY DISTORTED GUITAR RIFFS are not the only musical element in metal, they are certainly the most important element in defining metal and probably the most important element when it comes to determining quality. I can think of plenty of bands with bad vocals, song structures, production, solos, etc. which are saved by good riffs, but not a single one with bad riffs saved by another element. And it's not just a macho chest-beating "RIFFS OR GTFO" mentality, either; most metal music is set up with the focus on the riffs while the vocal melodies, solos etc. are built off of and contrast with them. Most metal is composed starting with the riffs, and it shows. It's like the importance placed on the chorus in pop music, except metal songs have multiple of these "choruses" repeated throughout.
_________________
MorbidBlood wrote:
So the winner is Destruction and Infernal Overkill is the motherfucking skullcrushing poserkilling satan-worshiping 666 FUCK YOU greatest german thrash record.

Top
 Profile  
Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:50 pm
Posts: 2926
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:40 pm 
 

I've deleted the Powerslave review. I told him when he first submitted it that I wouldn't allow it unless he cut out the ridiculously overblown 'martyred prophet' bit--goes too far with it, farther than Perplexed_Sjel or any of his ilk normally do. Unfortunately, I think a lot of the reviewers have figured out by this point that you can get most reviews that aren't total garbage accepted if you just submit them enough times--eventually, the 'right' mod will be on duty, and in it'll go.
_________________
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

Top
 Profile  
sushiman
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:41 pm
Posts: 921
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:46 am 
 

So surely on the still upcoming next version of metal-archives, there should be some sort of way to track how many times a particular user has submitted reviews for a particular album and got rejected. Like, three strikes and he's clearly talking out of his arse, sort of thing. You wouldn't have to lose points, maybe you just can't submit any more reviews for that one for a month. Time to stew in your juices and rethink! I'm on the wrong discussion aren't I.

Top
 Profile  
ThrashingMad
Skanky

Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:47 pm
Posts: 2149
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:50 am 
 

That's retarded.

Top
 Profile  
Mother_of_God
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:22 pm
Posts: 119
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:32 am 
 

I found this review passage on Unorthdox's Traced in Air review. The rest of the review kinda sucked, (it was too vague and didn't really give me an idea of what the album sounded like) but the opening paragraph was top-notch.
Witness:
Quote:
Writing a review for Cynic's Traced in Air is a rather difficult task for me. On one hand, I can write a very concise review, divulging what I like and didn't like about the album, what this album is and isn't, and why you should or shouldn't purchase it. On the other hand, Cynic's Traced in Air illuminates to me just what music truly is a lot of times; illogical. Music isn't something to be described with words, but something to be experienced by an individual. To write a review about this album requires me to force logic out of the sub-conscious and instinctive areas of my mind. Even if I do, I'm sure it won't be exactly understood why I truly enjoy Traced in Air. My conclusion to this review, which I'm deliberately putting at the beginning, is to ask each and every one of your reading this review to just give this album a chance. Hell, I'm not even going to ask you to go into it with an open mind, just listen to it because you may find the golden gem I've found while listening to this album.
_________________
immortalshadow666 wrote:
Not blackened thrash, not even speedy thrash, but ladies and gentlemen, THRASHY THRASH.

Top
 Profile  
Unorthodox
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:08 pm
Posts: 1521
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:49 am 
 

Mother_of_God wrote:
I found this review passage on Unorthdox's Traced in Air review. The rest of the review kinda sucked, (it was too vague and didn't really give me an idea of what the album sounded like) but the opening paragraph was top-notch.


Ha thanks dude, and yeah; I knew going in it wasn't going to be all too great of a review. I may revise it and make it better when I get the time to do it, because you are right; it gets in the realm of broadness and such.
_________________
Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 8154
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:16 pm 
 

The entire shred boiz review by linkavitch is terribly written, but this is just incredible:
linkavitch wrote:
duel melody guitars

:durr:
_________________
"A glimpse of light is all that it takes to illuminate the darkness."

Top
 Profile  
ThrashingMad
Skanky

Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:47 pm
Posts: 2149
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:54 pm 
 

Ilwhyan wrote:
linkavitch wrote:
duel melody guitars

:durr:


Image

Top
 Profile  
Pfuntner
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:33 pm
Posts: 1058
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:44 pm 
 

That new review for OM has got to be one of the weirdest out there. Loved reading it, but it had some high doses of WTF.
_________________
Random Child : http://randomchild.bandcamp.com/

Top
 Profile  
DevilsWhorehouse
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:14 am
Posts: 259
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:52 am 
 

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=1524#155739

Check out the title and first paragraph...

Quote:
The Citizen Kane of Extreme Metal Albums - 96%
Written by blackthrash84 on July 26th, 2009

I'll admit right away I've yet to see the film Citizen Kane, but every way in which I've heard it described, praised and criticized - as well as it's historic significance - correlates perfectly to C.F.'s masterpiece full length. Long, boring, monotonous, excessive, innovative, original, unique, genre-defining, classic. These are all adjectives that come to mind when discussing either work. The only real difference lies in the scope of each piece's influence. But is influencing the entire extreme metal world really that far from influencing the entire world of film? I like to think not.


Is this guy's knowledge of cinema so narrow that he has to compare an album to a film he has never seen before? The review itself isn't terrible but his choice of comparison is.

And FTR, Citizen Kane is neither long, boring, nor monotonous.
_________________
...please let me die in solitude

Top
 Profile  
Razakel
Nekroprince

Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:36 pm
Posts: 5710
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:55 am 
 

DevilsWhorehouse wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=1524#155739

Check out the title and first paragraph...

Quote:
The Citizen Kane of Extreme Metal Albums - 96%
Written by blackthrash84 on July 26th, 2009

I'll admit right away I've yet to see the film Citizen Kane, but every way in which I've heard it described, praised and criticized - as well as it's historic significance - correlates perfectly to C.F.'s masterpiece full length. Long, boring, monotonous, excessive, innovative, original, unique, genre-defining, classic. These are all adjectives that come to mind when discussing either work. The only real difference lies in the scope of each piece's influence. But is influencing the entire extreme metal world really that far from influencing the entire world of film? I like to think not.


Is this guy's knowledge of cinema so narrow that he has to compare an album to a film he has never seen before? The review itself isn't terrible but his choice of comparison is.

And FTR, Citizen Kane is neither long, boring, nor monotonous.


Wow, what the hell? It's like that joker in the Movie Thread who was going off on Up In The Air without having seen it. This stuff just doesn't make sense to me. And yeah, Citizen Kane is a great movie.

EDIT: The more I think about it the less sense it makes. What the hell does To Mega Therion and Citizen Kane have in common? I can't believe he describes that album as boring and monotonous... maybe he's never heard it?

Top
 Profile  
MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Posts: 3839
Location: Romania
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:17 am 
 

That, and an album which is boring and monotonous shouldn't, you know, get 96%. Last I looked those were bad things.

Top
 Profile  
Lyrici17
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:20 am
Posts: 1344
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:22 am 
 

I still can't get over using the comparison, even if they were like clones..... if he's never seen "Citizen Kane" how would he know that they were clones....!?!?

the logic is terribly failed, even if the answer is right.... though I agree that it isn't...
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/Lyrici17
https://www.youtube.com/c/Lyrici17

Top
 Profile  
caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:29 pm
Posts: 6313
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:24 am 
 

ok, we get the point. Get over it.
_________________
https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Top
 Profile  
Vrede
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:07 pm
Posts: 678
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:37 am 
 

BastardHead wrote:
Noktorn, on Six Feet Under's Warpath wrote:
The operative word I would use to describe this album would be 'penisy'. It's like a big, floppy, flaccid penis. I mean, it's big- if it could get hard it might be able to satisfy, but unfortunately Six Feet Under suffers from musical erectile dysfunction and can't do anything but try and pack their big soft member into a hole that demands some rigidity. No matter how many times they claim that this is the first time such a thing has ever happened, we all know the truth: the band is in a permanent state of flop, and even if they managed to somehow get their way through 'Haunted' with a good amount of fingering and dirty talk, they only get softer from here.


Every once in a while, Noktorn reminds me why I love him so much.

This is so awesome, thanks for sharing. :lol:
_________________
rexxz wrote:
Crick wrote:
Except, y'know, people don't just go around jerking off and rubbing random erogenous zones of their bodies in public.

Speak for yourself.

Top
 Profile  
Cheeses_Priced
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:11 am
Posts: 552
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:42 pm 
 

ThrashingMad wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
linkavitch wrote:
duel melody guitars

:durr:


Image

More like
Image

Top
 Profile  
Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:33 pm
Posts: 2162
Location: Afghanistan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:57 am 
 

Vrede wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Noktorn, on Six Feet Under's Warpath wrote:
The operative word I would use to describe this album would be 'penisy'. It's like a big, floppy, flaccid penis. I mean, it's big- if it could get hard it might be able to satisfy, but unfortunately Six Feet Under suffers from musical erectile dysfunction and can't do anything but try and pack their big soft member into a hole that demands some rigidity. No matter how many times they claim that this is the first time such a thing has ever happened, we all know the truth: the band is in a permanent state of flop, and even if they managed to somehow get their way through 'Haunted' with a good amount of fingering and dirty talk, they only get softer from here.


Every once in a while, Noktorn reminds me why I love him so much.

This is so awesome, thanks for sharing. :lol:


That is truly fucking hilarious. Love it.

Top
 Profile  
MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Posts: 3839
Location: Romania
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:33 am 
 

This guy's review is one of the most idiotic that I've read on this site. Not for lack of musical description or the usual things which make reviews go awry, but because of the reviewer's ignorance of basic knowledge and geography.


crazpete wrote:
One mode is a traditional minor scale (12-tone), while the other is a far older 8 or 10-tone scale, most obviously giving a folk Romanian ‘gypsy’ sound to many of the acoustic passages but also present in the distorted bulk of the songs.


Negura Bunget aren't fucking Gypsies. Gypsies are about 5% of Romania's population and they live in the gutter. They don't even know what metal is, aside from the bits of iron and steel they steal throughout the country to see as scrap in order to further fuel their own pathetic lives.


crazpete wrote:
Some may say this is simply ‘Blut Aus Nord played by Gypsies,’ (and if so, wouldn’t you want to hear that?) but I see this as an original work worthy of appreciation in its own light.


Enough with the fucking Gypsies. I don't go around calling Americans "Injuns" or "Redskins" do I?

Top
 Profile  
Zoldaten_ov_Zatan
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:04 pm
Posts: 665
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:03 pm 
 

No, but that'd be pretty funny! :lol:
_________________
Cowardice: the better part of valor.

Top
 Profile  
Azmodes
Ontologically Outrageous

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:44 am
Posts: 10304
Location: Gradec, Austria
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:17 pm 
 

MaDTransilvanian wrote:
This guy's review is one of the most idiotic that I've read on this site. Not for lack of musical description or the usual things which make reviews go awry, but because of the reviewer's ignorance of basic knowledge and geography.


crazpete wrote:
One mode is a traditional minor scale (12-tone), while the other is a far older 8 or 10-tone scale, most obviously giving a folk Romanian ‘gypsy’ sound to many of the acoustic passages but also present in the distorted bulk of the songs.


Negura Bunget aren't fucking Gypsies. Gypsies are about 5% of Romania's population and they live in the gutter. They don't even know what metal is, aside from the bits of iron and steel they steal throughout the country to see as scrap in order to further fuel their own pathetic lives.


crazpete wrote:
Some may say this is simply ‘Blut Aus Nord played by Gypsies,’ (and if so, wouldn’t you want to hear that?) but I see this as an original work worthy of appreciation in its own light.


Enough with the fucking Gypsies. I don't go around calling Americans "Injuns" or "Redskins" do I?

I don't see what's so idiotic about that review. He didn't say that the band consists of gypsies, he was just using that term to refer to his subjective impression regarding the texture of the melodies. Hence the quotation marks, both times. I can see why that would annoy you, and yeah, it's certainly a cliché, but it's a convenience that serves to give the reader a certain picture of the music, and not necessarily a wrong one at that.
Mind you, I haven't heard the album in question, so he could be wrong about this and some other stuff, but from what I can see, it's a decent review.
_________________
Last.fm | Goodreads | BOINC - Compute for science! || Stuff for sale on Discogs
Ludicus wrote:
Every day we stray further away from Tony Iommi.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group