Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:53 am 

I've just landed a new job but my first pay won't come up until somewhere around the middle of march, so no prizes 'til then. Therefore, I might as well extend the deadline to the 14th of March.

It's been a while so I figured we might as well give this another shot. The last one went alright. No Nightgaunt plush toy, unfortunately, as that went out of stock a while back (as OzzyApu found out too his expense)...

Rules are simple:

You, the reviewer will review a St.Vitus album. Which one? Doesn't matter. Pick your favourite, or your least favourite. It can be ANY St.Vitus release that's on the archives. My rationale is that this band needs a lot more reviews in general.

As there are a few different releases by these guys, tell me which album you reviewed.

You all have until the end of February to write a review.

Those who haven't heard any of the Vitus- you've got 5-ish weeks to hear it and review it. Quit your bitching.

I will be judging the winner. Hint: Unless if you write as well as failsafeman or Nightgaunt, I'm going to struggle with reading a 3000 word review. Doesn't necessarily need to be short, but rambling reviews have no chance at winning. Typically I'm not impressed with long, flowery words.

You can win in three categories:

1. Best review.
2. Best gimmick review.
3. Worst review.

You don't nominate for an individual category, just say you're entering.

Prizes are:

Best Review

Will win a St.Vitus shirt and CD, courtesy of Amazon:

Image (comes in M-XL, I found it on psychedoom in S though)

Best Gimmick Review

doesn't/shouldn't need to be explained

Worst Review

Will receive a custom title insulting their lack of reviewing skills.

j/k, unfortunately... They'll get a Naruto headband.

YOU HAVE UNTIL THE END OF FEBRUARY. MAKE SURE YOU TELL ME WHICH ALBUM YOU'VE REVIEWED.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Last edited by caspian on Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:09 am 

I may have to put my honour on the line in a mad grab for that UAC shirt...

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:12 am 

Shit, I want that copy of V I may actually be interested in this one. Good choice on Vitus, caspian, I mean It'll be cool to see more classic doom reviews, anyway. I'd either review V or one of the first two, I reckon.

Edit: maybe the live one, too.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:49 am 

This is just the incentive I need to get that copy of "Born Too Late" that I have laying around here reviewed. My doom metal reviewing cred. is still a bit low here anyway so I might try to review their whole discography in the course of the next several months, but I think I'll be doing "Born Too Late" as it is the last one I've listened to of late.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:44 pm 

I might contribute a review since I've been listening to Vitus a lot recently. I might not even (gasp) be awarded the title of worst review since I think my review might be more positive this time around!

Malacoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:16 pm 

I'll be reviewing "V". I just saw these guys live in Antioch, CA last night, so I'll definitely be up for it!

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:14 am 

I want to play! It will take an epic Vitus sesh to get properly reacquainted and decide on which one though. Born Too Late being the one which leaps to mind.

By the way, do I just put a little note at the top of my review then, DeathDoomRider style, or announce my participation all over this board?

caspian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:13 am 

mention it in this thread.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

autothrall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:41 am 

I'd like to contribute 'Hallow's Victim' if I may.

Hope you are all well,
auto

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:46 am 

I don't want a T-Shirt with a cross on it (caspian's just trying to convert you people, you know?) and I wouldn't know any interesting gimmick, so I'll just go for the headband.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:56 am 

EntilZha wrote:
I don't want a T-Shirt with a cross on it (caspian's just trying to convert you people, you know?) and I wouldn't know any interesting gimmick, so I'll just go for the headband.

The catch is, the review still has to be good enough to be accepted. ;)

It's like doing the limbo: how low can you go without falling down?

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:08 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
EntilZha wrote:

The catch is, the review still has to be good enough to be accepted. ;)

It's like doing the limbo: how low can you go without falling down?

All my reviews get accepted, and they all suck, so I'm good.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:16 pm 

thank you caspian for reminding i cant go see saint vitus.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:13 pm 

Cool. I just bought Mournful Cries.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:58 am 

My review of V's nearly complete -- I'll give it a couple of proof reads and such. But I'm still hoping of getting it in early (so I can see all you pathetic mortals steal my ho-hum ideas).

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:38 pm 

Ha, yet another band I particularly like. Will probably do their debut.

Mishalra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:42 pm 

Would it be possible, for interest's sake, for someone to win with a negative opinion in their review?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:06 pm 

I guess I'll be reviewing that pink blob called Born Too Late. Always wanted to tackle that.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:25 pm 

Mishalra wrote:
Would it be possible, for interest's sake, for someone to win with a negative opinion in their review?

How would someone competently write a review saying the contrary of what the person thinks? Unless someone doesn't like St-Vitus :scratch:

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:05 am 

Mishalra wrote:

Going off the first one of these (Bolt Thrower) the answer would be no. Worst review went to a negative review (average), even though it was technically better written than one of the others.

caspian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:30 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Mishalra wrote:

Going off the first one of these (Bolt Thrower) the answer would be no. Worst review went to a negative review (average), even though it was technically better written than one of the others.

I think this one'll be judged a bit differently. I like St.Vitus but I'm not as familiar with their work as I am with Bolt Thrower, so who knows...

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:13 am 

Just submitted mine for V, hope I'm good!

caspian wrote:
I think this one'll be judged a bit differently. I like St.Vitus but I'm not as familiar with their work as I am with Bolt Thrower, so who knows...

It would be somewhat hilarious if someone who doesn't like Saint Vitus won a t-shirt and album from them, though.

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:18 pm 

Is this the "I Born too late" shirt? I really need one.

Byrgan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:22 pm 

Thought I'd give this challenge a whirl. Threw the next stone, for the s/t since we have been intimate for a while. Even though I wrote it last night, I had to submit the piece before I started to edit it more than it needed.

caspian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:46 am 

Brygan's and ANA's reviews were good, but that doesn't mean you have to stop writing yours! GET REVIEWING FAGGOTS

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:35 am 

Me and Byrgan will split the t-shirt -- we'll take a large one so we get more fabric between us.

Failing that I might write another review. :P

Byrgan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:29 pm 

caspian wrote:
Brygan's and ANA's reviews were good, but that doesn't mean you have to stop writing yours! GET REVIEWING FAGGOTS

Sadly if reviews aren't tallied, it's inevitable that it would come to a dreaded "fourth" category. And the prize is this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7xrr8XQ ... re=related

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Me and Byrgan will split the t-shirt -- we'll take a large one so we get more fabric between us.

If Caspian is a pimp as I think he is (wink, wink) he might be able to squeeze some little oriental woman in between. That or knuckle rings with "metal" and "archives" written on them. We can share too, hopefully you have 8 fingers on one hand.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:30 pm 

EntilZha wrote:

*points proudly to his "hallow's Victim" shirt*

Ok Caspian...I'll do "Die Healing".
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

caspian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:26 pm 

Very good, should I just send the shirt now? :P :D

Also guys remember! While Brygan and ANA did great reviews, my personal preference for conciseness means you still stand an excellent chance to win if you write a very good short review. Doesn't need to be 2000 words.

caspian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:39 am 

WoP asked me if more then one review was ok.. I don't see the problem. Not that it really increases your chance at willing (seeing as it's a game of skill, not chance) but Vitus could always use more reviews. If you want to review a full length and an EP, or both the demos, or the entire damn discography, that's ok by me.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:54 am 

As per caspian's rallying cry I got round to submitting one for the debut. Now that I'm back on the Vitus I might try to work through their first few records as their reviews section does need some plumping out. In the spirit of diversity I'll also try and hit up the EPs or C.O.D or something.

caspian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:18 am 

sushiman's review is up and of a very high quality. He also seems to appreciate similar review-lengths to me, which will help his cause. This is going to be hard to judge.

As I've already said, if you want to do multiple entries, you can. So if any of the guys that've already submitted a review feel they could do better, by all means, review a different Vitus album!

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:23 am 

Might as well kill Abominatrix' review of the debut.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:17 am 

Cheers caspian! Writing that put me on a bit of a streak and I've fired reviews for Hallow's Victim and The Walking Dead into the queue.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:55 am 

Byrgan wrote:
caspian wrote:

Sadly if reviews aren't tallied, it's inevitable that it would come to a dreaded "fourth" category. And the prize is this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7xrr8XQ ... re=related

ANationalAcrobat wrote:

If Caspian is a pimp as I think he is (wink, wink) he might be able to squeeze some little oriental woman in between. That or knuckle rings with "metal" and "archives" written on them. We can share too, hopefully you have 8 fingers on one hand.

I do! I always knew it'd come in handy -- failing that my other hand has 21 fingers so I could get the whole of "Encyclopaedia Metallum" on there. Abom, I was gonna do Die Healing, but unfortunately my university work-load increased from around "nothing" to a small trickle of niggling pressure... so now I feel too terrified to write. Get going with it, and make sure to mention the Priest reunion sucks and that Vitus one was ace... that's about all the ideas I had.

weakling_goat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:29 pm 

Bezerko wrote:
I may have to put my honour on the line in a mad grab for that UAC shirt...

Damn I want that shirt...

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:20 am 

Alright, I got my review of "Born Too Late" submitted. I think I may be able to do another one, possibly for the debut, I'll have to check my schedule.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:33 am 

Damn, everyone's getting Born too late reivews in, No one had done one when I started mine, it's going to be flooded by the time I get around to finishing.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:35 am 

Since my hard drive failed, I lost a gig or so of music I had (backed up my main library of 40 gigs on two external HDs) - most of the material was from Running Wild (FFFFFFFUUUU) and Aion (Jpn), which I was really starting to dig. Damn shame, and with that was Born Too Late; I'm here to say that I'm dropping out of the contest. I could download the album again on my sister's laptop (using right now), but I'd rather not. Plus I'm stuck with a lot of work during midterms week and an upcoming Army physical fitness test, so my priorities are elsewhere.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:34 pm 

I just submitted my entry for the contest. I figured that, since nobody had reviewed Thirsty and Miserable, I might as well be the first one to do so since I like that EP. I'm somewhat surprised nobody else had done so before - everyone seems to have treated it as part of Born Too Late despite the fact that the tracks weren't included on that album until '95 and still don't appear on the vinyl. It seems to me that it should be reviewed as a separate release.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next