Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 11:43 am 

speedemon86 wrote:
if i remember correctly, manilla road had sub-par vocals. and NOTHING puts me off more than sub-par vocals. do you know how long it took me to get into bonded by blood? christ on a cracker, bad vocals ruin great music. SEE: Nuclear Assault, Vio-Lence, joey-era Anthrax (under review), etc, etc, etc ad nauseum

:nono:
Subpar vocals...definitely not. Slightly odd sounding...maybe.

ThunderheaD
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 2:12 pm 

I'm going to try to contribute myself, but I'd love to see some more King's X reviews.

Druj
Token Homosexual

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 2:41 pm 

It would be nice if some more Morgana Lefay and Lefay reviews were written.

CandideCamera
Pour l'encouragement des autres

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 5:56 pm 

Druj wrote:
It would be nice if some more Morgana Lefay and Lefay reviews were written.
what kind of metal do they play?

CandideCamera

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 5:57 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
speedemon86 wrote:
if i remember correctly, manilla road had sub-par vocals. and NOTHING puts me off more than sub-par vocals. do you know how long it took me to get into bonded by blood? christ on a cracker, bad vocals ruin great music. SEE: Nuclear Assault, Vio-Lence, joey-era Anthrax (under review), etc, etc, etc ad nauseum

give me an example of a band with "odd sounding" vox. because "odd sounding" to you might equate to "off key, bad tone, and ill-fitting" to me.

Egregius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:31 pm 

speedemon86 wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:
speedemon86 wrote:

give me an example of a band with "odd sounding" vox. because "odd sounding" to you might equate to "off key, bad tone, and ill-fitting" to me.

King Diamond, that Confessor dude, that Ion Britton singer, the Power Symphony vocalist (female), Quorthon, the grunter in Haggard, the dude from Left Hand Solution, what do you think of these vocalists then? (of the ones you've heard)

Spawn_of_Cthulhu
Staying out of trouble... for now

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:53 pm 

Danthrax_Nasty wrote:
I'd like to see some Arckanum reviews, cause I was surprised to see that there is none.

Sorry to get to this so bloody late, but... I think I may. I have Kampen, it rules, and I believe I shall say as much as soon as I can. Though I'm not that good at reviewing...

Danthrax_Nasty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 5:28 pm 

Spawn_of_Cthulhu wrote:
Danthrax_Nasty wrote:
I'd like to see some Arckanum reviews, cause I was surprised to see that there is none.

Sorry to get to this so bloody late, but... I think I may. I have Kampen, it rules, and I believe I shall say as much as soon as I can. Though I'm not that good at reviewing...

:thumbsup: Well as long as you try to make it decent would be nice to read some more reviews for them.

Manchester_Devil
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:44 pm 

Anyone for reviewing Lex Talionis's two full lengths?

EDIT:

a: My puncation has gone out of the window.

b: I like to see reviews for Eidolon (all albums, any album of your choice), Armored Saint (Raising Fear), Deinonychus (any album will do) and another review for Melechesh's Sphynx.

Last edited by Manchester_Devil on Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oiras
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:09 pm 

Leviathan (the US black metal band)
Windham Hell
Golem (Ger)

Zero reviews for any of these bands. I might review their albums, though writing a decent review is a lot of effort for me.

PainMiseryDeath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 12:36 pm 

I'll try and do a review for Golem later tonight. I'll post again when I finish and if it goes through.

kollex
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 1:29 pm 

A Ruined Nation Awakens...sewiously... - 90%
Written by KantQontrolMyself on April 10th, 2004

Damn. Just plain damn! This album is one of the craziest, most evil spawns of doom ever released. These guys are much like Anaal Nathrakh, or any other band that plays industrial black metal. The difference is that these guys are more understandable in the lyrics, and the guitar work seems to have a tad more melody to it. Of course, many people won't understand what the crap they're saying at first, but if you grab yourself a lyric sheet, he sings every word perfectly and you'll think "how did I not understand that?" Anyways, the guitars are also what shine here. They have an amazing amount of melody, but you'll notice it gets a bit repetitive. But who cares? The screaming evil-robot vocals will totally grab your attention, or...drive you away, depending. I believe they use a drum machine, but hey, at least it fits with this industrial style of black metal. It's pretty hard to imagine that only 2 (or 3) people can actually pull off crazy crap like this. Big song highlights are "A Ruined Nation Awakens," "My Time, My Reign, My Tyranny," and "Born Under the Knife, Live in Pain." This, along with Anaal Nathrakh, is probably the embodiment of the apocalypse, and if any of you crazed fucks enjoy that, you'll likely love this album. But people who hate extreme, slightly-melodic noise won't find much to enjoy here. I recommend a purchase of this album, no matter how sane you are. GO NOW!!!!

from what i can understand from this review its melodic (has the fuck acutally heard the album? its about as melodic as In Flames are interesting ) industrial black metal with robot esque vocals.
not a good enough description really is it ?

also get rid of most of the de mysteriis dom sathanas reviews. Even Stormblast after OD,ing on Jellybabies could do better than most of those fools.

CandideCamera

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:26 pm 

kollex wrote:

Damn. Just plain damn! This album is one of the craziest, most evil spawns of doom ever released. These guys are much like Anaal Nathrakh, or any other band that plays industrial black metal. The difference is that these guys are more understandable in the lyrics, and the guitar work seems to have a tad more melody to it. Of course, many people won't understand what the crap they're saying at first, but if you grab yourself a lyric sheet, he sings every word perfectly and you'll think "how did I not understand that?" Anyways, the guitars are also what shine here. They have an amazing amount of melody, but you'll notice it gets a bit repetitive. But who cares? The screaming evil-robot vocals will totally grab your attention, or...drive you away, depending. I believe they use a drum machine, but hey, at least it fits with this industrial style of black metal. It's pretty hard to imagine that only 2 (or 3) people can actually pull off crazy crap like this. Big song highlights are "A Ruined Nation Awakens," "My Time, My Reign, My Tyranny," and "Born Under the Knife, Live in Pain." This, along with Anaal Nathrakh, is probably the embodiment of the apocalypse, and if any of you crazed fucks enjoy that, you'll likely love this album. But people who hate extreme, slightly-melodic noise won't find much to enjoy here. I recommend a purchase of this album, no matter how sane you are. GO NOW!!!!

from what i can understand from this review its melodic (has the fuck acutally heard the album? its about as melodic as In Flames are interesting ) industrial black metal with robot esque vocals.

also get rid of most of the de mysteriis dom sathanas reviews. Even Stormblast after OD,ing on Jellybabies could do better than most of those fools.

wrong thread, dur

PainMiseryDeath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:52 pm 

Uhh, so here's that Golem review http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=20536#1545 :D

kollex
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:45 pm 

speedemon86 wrote:
kollex wrote:

wrong thread, dur

sorry :oh shit:

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:08 pm 

Ok due to the attention whore status :lol: can someone please review Watain's live record that was limited to 666 copies? Thanks!

:beer:

CandideCamera

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:05 am 

Egregius wrote:
King Diamond, that Confessor dude, that Ion Britton singer, the Power Symphony vocalist (female), Quorthon, the grunter in Haggard, the dude from Left Hand Solution, what do you think of these vocalists then? (of the ones you've heard)
i only know KD :| so heres my take on him, he was definitely sub-par in the earl MF days, but as time went by he got better and better. which reminds me: MORE (intelligent) FELLATING REVIEWS FOR THE PUPPET MASTER!! it owns. another guy that i think doesn't get blasted enough for terrible vocals is the guy from Vio-Lence. he's just terrible and they mixed him so high. remasters anyone? bad vocals ruin great music, i can't even love BBB as much as i should because baloffs delivery was :| though he went on to sound awesome!

UltraBoris
Speed Metal Satan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:59 am 

speedemon86 wrote:
he was definitely sub-par in the earl MF days
okay maybe in the very early days (see that Death Kiss demo that's a bonus track on Don't Break the Oath, which I think is from early 1982) but even Nuns Have no Fun sounds fine.

CandideCamera

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:51 am 

well the King's vox overall were ok, and certainly telorable on Melissa and Don't Break the Oath, it's just the falsettos were very...lame and brought down his performance as a whole. and for me vocals are usually about context, and whil MF wouldn't be MF without KD's pipes, I just can't see how it can be worshipped like it is. 85% of the time, if the vox are good the band will be good to me, but if they aren't well it can still be good but to a lesser degree.

Oiras
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:09 am 

I FINALLY wrote a review! EDIT: I saw the scores for Destroy Erase Improve, and felt the need to give the album the score I think it deserves. More people who share the same sentiments as I do about the album need to review it, too, the reason why this post exists (END OF EDIT).

Last edited by Oiras on Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CandideCamera

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:24 am 

Oiras wrote:
I FINALLY wrote a review! The score for Destroy Erase Improve needs to be lowered, so I thought to contribute to that plan. Anyone, let me know what you think of my review whenever it's approved. :D

Gawd, am I tired right now...

1. That's a bad reason to write a review, in fact that's a HORRIBLE fucking reason to write a review. I don't care what band/album it is...no. This is just my strong opinion, so whatever.

2. Why the bloody fuck did you post this here? Would you like to see one of us review it as well.

NO BLIGITY BLIGITY BLIGITY BOO!!!

Upon seeing your :| review, please refrain from writing negative reviews. It'll do you good.

Oiras
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:38 pm 

1. I didn't write it just because there were positive reviews. That would be really stupid. I really do dislike the album, and the positive reviews it was getting only motivated me to actually write the review I did. Yes, I posted this here because I want people who share the same sentiments as me to open up as well.

2. I wrote the review around 3:30 a.m., and made that post around 4:00 a.m. If it looks bad, that's because my mind barely functions around that time, like I would imagine it anyone else.

EDIT: I just gave that last post the proper edit so it doesn't sound as bad as it did.

EDIT 2: I just reread my review. It didn't turn out the way I wanted it to, so I might delete it and start anew, or just avoid reviewing at all, and let someone else do it. How terrible I am at being expressive. :brick:

Oiras
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:14 am 

I decided to delete my review. I want someone else who can write decent negative reviews to do one for DEI (someone who actually hates the album that is). This made me realize that writing reviews aren't my forte, so fuck it.

Also, Angelcorpse's The Inexorable needs reviews. I've seen a lot of people talk about how great this album is yet has surprisingly no reviews about it. I want to see a detailed perspective on this album to get an idea of what it sounds like!

CandideCamera

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:18 pm 

well last time i checked i wasn't a big fan of the album. i have no problem with stop-start riffs, but it was overkill IIRC; it didn't have the frantic tech-thrashiness of CC nor bludeonry of Nothing . I'll have a peek at both of those.

Oiras
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:52 pm 

speedemon86 wrote:
i have no problem with stop-start riffs, but it was overkill IIRC

:nods: And those stop-start vocals, dear lord...

Egregius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:42 pm 

Oiras: you dont need to give up immediatly. If it was accepted that means something nowadays.

But giving an album a rating in an attempt to make the average rating more to your liking is extremely dumb, not to mention annoying. The metacritics site has a user-based review section, it consists of zeroes and full scores, each from people trying to sway the rating towards what they think the rating needs to be.

Just don't, and try again.

Oiras
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:53 pm 

Egregius wrote:
But giving an album a rating in an attempt to make the average rating more to your liking is extremely dumb, not to mention annoying.

Like I said, the high average score was just something to motivate me to write that review (at 3:30 in the morning mind you, not a good time to make decisions on anything anyway). I gave it a 30%, which reflects the actual score I would give the album regardless. If I just wanted to lower the average score, then I would go ahead and give it a 0%, but I decided not to stoop to that level.

Yes, it did get accepted, but then again, so did all those reviews in the oven fodder topic... :nono:

CandideCamera

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:11 pm 

Oiras wrote:
Egregius wrote:
But giving an album a rating in an attempt to make the average rating more to your liking is extremely dumb, not to mention annoying.

Like I said, the high average score was just something to motivate me to write that review (at 3:30 in the morning mind you, not a good time to make decisions on anything anyway). I gave it a 30%, which reflects the actual score I would give the album regardless. If I just wanted to lower the average score, then I would go ahead and give it a 0%, but I decided not to stoop to that level.

Yes, it did get accepted, but then again, so did all those reviews in the oven fodder topic... :nono:
pfft you can't make decisions at 3:30AM? The night had just begun!:lol:

Oiras
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:29 pm 

Heh, well not for me. I'm not the type who stays up that late very often, so my mind is in a daze by that time.

Oiras
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:29 pm 

Sorry, double post. Some debug error messed me up there.

Last edited by Oiras on Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crazpete
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:32 pm 

Oiras wrote:
Leviathan (the US black metal band) ... Zero reviews for[this band]. I might review their albums, though writing a decent review is a lot of effort for me.

I'm working on a review for 'The Tenth Sub-Level of Suicide,' which will be mostly positive.

I'd like to see reviews for some Abyssic Hate albums BESIDES 'Suicidal Emotions.' Anyone?

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:04 pm 

crazpete wrote:
Oiras wrote:
Leviathan (the US black metal band) ... Zero reviews for[this band]. I might review their albums, though writing a decent review is a lot of effort for me.

I'm working on a review for 'The Tenth Sub-Level of Suicide,' which will be mostly positive.

I've been considering tackling 'Verräter.' Not sure if my skills are up to it...

BTW, you ought to to write that proposed 'Nachthymnen' review, crazpete. I'd like to see it...I don't think the first two reviewers gave it as much attention as it warrants (Abigor being a notoriously subtle/innaccessible band).
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

Last edited by Nightgaunt on Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Egregius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:49 pm 

Writing good black metal reviews is hard, but someone has to do it. Cause I suck at it :P

Egregius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:20 pm 

Speaking of which, I'd like to see other people give a go at Rakoth's albums.

Even though I'm pretty sure they won't all be as flattering as mine.

CrowTRobot
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:08 pm 

I'd like to see a few Abscess reviews. I'm a big fan of Autopsy, and it seems as though a few members of that band are in Abscess

The_Slick_Boss
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:38 am 

Some one should write a review of the Band brutal, they have recently been labelled 'The worst grindcore band...ever'. They had some classic songs like 'Slip the bitch a mickey' and 'Anti Goth'.

Clinical_Abortion
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:54 pm 

I'd like to see reviews of these:

Craft (both albums)
Arckanum - Fran Marder
Leviathan - (US-both albums)

I'd do them myself, but my reviewing skills are not that great.

Suicide is not an answer. It's an option.

Carmack
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:03 pm 

Electric Wizard - We Live

CandideCamera

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:35 pm 

Carmack wrote:
Electric Wizard - We Live
electric wizard rule, i'll try to get hold of that album.

sultoon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:43 am 

I'd love to read a review of the new metal church out in late july. Anyone??

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 78  Next