Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:36 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Well it's short and kinda crappy but he backs up his point and describes the music well enough. Not very good, mind you, but not very nukeworthy either.

Going by that then... Is this is not nukeworthy? Or this? (posted among a bunch on the previous page)

FullMetalAttorney
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:48 pm 

And you, OzzyApu, would do us all a favor by learning brevity. But then, that's a whole review philosophy discussion, and not one that would be appropriate to go into here.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:53 pm 

Brevity is appreciated when there's some musical description, read the reviews of Zodijackyl for good short reviews. It's nothing against you FMA , you know that.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

FullMetalAttorney
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:12 pm 

I like Zodijackyl's reviews.

I didn't think you had it in for me at all, Metantoine. I just have a very different philosophy. I'm not going to read a 1000 word review of an album I've never heard. For an album I've never heard, I want a short, punchy review that takes less time to read than to listen to a couple songs on Youtube. It should also give an impression of the album as a whole, rather than clinical description. It should be fun to read even if you're not interested in the album at all. It should also assume a basic understanding of things. (I recently got a message saying one of my reviews should assume the reader has never heard Motörhead before.) In contrast, if it's an album I've heard, I want the 1000 word review to say something interesting about it, not something I already knew from hearing it. There's more to my overarching blog philosophy than just that, but this is the review-specific portion of it.

In short, I think the review philosophy favored by MA made sense when the site was started, but in the world of Youtube and Bandcamp it doesn't. (The physical release requirement for a band to be listed is also outdated by at least a few years.)

I'm not in charge here, though. That's just my two cents. MA is still an invaluable resource, even if (as most large institutions) it's a little slow to evolve. Anyway, nuke away, although I think the vast majority of my reviews give a very good description of the music succinctly, in a way that can be understood by non-musicians.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:41 pm 

If anything, the long, sprawling musical evaluation-style of review makes more sense with the rise of instant-access streaming websites. Yeah, the sort of reviews you write are short and punchy, but I don't find them very entertaining to read by themselves. I'd rather read a review that bleeds passion, goes well over the 1,000-word mark, and has enough to say that even if I've never heard the album in question, the review will have left some sort of impact on me.

FullMetalAttorney
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:02 pm 

I can see that, in a way. But the way that instant access has changed things, I don't think that actual description of the music (in the way that MA guidelines mean) is even necessary. In fact, I think you could write a great review that's completely metaphor, as with the first part of my review of Vastum's Carnal Law (http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/V ... alAttorney) or the Invisible Oranges review of Promiscuity's debut tape that inspired it, in part. The review should either 1. save the reader time versus listening to it or 2. provide new insight. Rote description is unnecessary. Ideally it should also be entertaining, which I strive for.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:48 am 

FullMetalAttorney, I actually understand what you mean. Reviews should be done accordingly to the given audience. To the ADD audiences who barely want to read anything and are more contempt with a short-lived mild description of what an album should be, give them short metaphors. They' eat it up and call it a day. However, and in case you didn't notice, that's not the case with the MA crowd. People come here to actually enjoy some exercises in creative writing that directly correlate to some of their favourite albums, or even to albums they don't even know of.

So, to follow the above stated guideline, users/posters/reviewers should adapt to where they're spitting out their words, which would mean that a reviewer should uphold the MA standards when posting reviews here in MA. No one cares how they do it elsewhere, just how it's done in here. Know what I mean?! ;)

FullMetalAttorney
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:01 am 

Right, in an insulting way. My point is, I don't write them for MA, but MA is more than welcome to them, if they want. I'm more of the Cosmo Lee school of thought, which is that good metal writing should be, first and foremost, good writing. I don't always succeed. But it is, in my humble (or not humble) opinion, better than what often passes for good writing around here. Take OzzyApu, for instance (I'm only picking on him because I recently read several of his reviews). He throws out a new metaphor every other sentence, without any cohesive overall theme or flow. Lots of detail vs. flow--I'll take flow any day. Especially when the review is so damned long and the paragraph breaks are few and far between. It's like reading a dense federal statute, with unconnected, hit-or-miss commentary on each and every line.

Reading many of the lengthy reviews on MA is like listening to a really bad funeral doom record. If it makes you feel more "kvlt" and "trve" to get through it and convince yourself to like it, then more power to you.

There are good reviewers here, to be sure, but the philosophy behind the reviews is outdated. Until such time as MA changes its policies and gets over the groupthink . . . I'll get off my soapbox. And I'll keep submitting periodically until such time as the powers that be ask me not to.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:31 am 

FullMetalAttorney wrote:
Right, in an insulting way. My point is, I don't write them for MA, but MA is more than welcome to them, if they want. I'm more of the Cosmo Lee school of thought, which is that good metal writing should be, first and foremost, good writing. I don't always succeed. But it is, in my humble (or not humble) opinion, better than what often passes for good writing around here. Take OzzyApu, for instance (I'm only picking on him because I recently read several of his reviews). He throws out a new metaphor every other sentence, without any cohesive overall theme or flow. Lots of detail vs. flow--I'll take flow any day. Especially when the review is so damned long and the paragraph breaks are few and far between. It's like reading a dense federal statute, with unconnected, hit-or-miss commentary on each and every line.

Reading many of the lengthy reviews on MA is like listening to a really bad funeral doom record. If it makes you feel more "kvlt" and "trve" to get through it and convince yourself to like it, then more power to you.

There are good reviewers here, to be sure, but the philosophy behind the reviews is outdated. Until such time as MA changes its policies and gets over the groupthink . . . I'll get off my soapbox. And I'll keep submitting periodically until such time as the powers that be ask me not to.

You felt insulted by my post? When I was actually agreeing with you? Weird...

Let me put it more clearly and without so much "purple prose", and mind you that I'm basing this solely on my perception of MA's standards as I'm no authority here, nor do I intend on being one. Youtube reviews, three-sentence magazine reviews, three-sentence blog reviews and whatnot are behind what the owners and mods of the site count as acceptable to be here. I'm sure you're familiar with the phrase "feels like an Amazon review". You write the way you want to and no one is trying to change that, however if you intend on having your content on here you should realize, and this is common sense, that it will be evaluated and compared against MA's standards and writers. What's so insulting about that? Why do you feel the need to call people who write long reviews intellectual posers? Because that's what you basically did.

I was trying to be reasonable with you but it feels to me that you just can't see other people's points of view, or better off you can't live with them. If you're on a one man crusade to try and lower MA's reviewing standards then I wish you the best of luck on your crusade of folly.

Over and out.

FullMetalAttorney
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:14 pm 

"To the ADD audiences who barely want to read anything and are more contempt with a short-lived mild description of what an album should be, give them short metaphors. They' eat it up and call it a day. . . . People come here to actually enjoy some exercises in creative writing that directly correlate to some of their favourite albums, or even to albums they don't even know of."

That was the insulting portion, i.e., implying that a shorter review only caters to an ADD audience and that it doesn't involve creative writing. I agree with the rest of what you wrote, other than those implications.

I see the point of view. I say it's outdated, but if people are happy with it that's fine. And I move on from there, offering what I've already written with my own philosophy in mind, on the chance that it meets MA criteria as well. I already got off the soapbox, and I think this has gone way outside the purpose of this thread (my fault), so I won't dig into the specifics any more than that.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:23 pm 

What I found insulting is you throwing around the word "outdated" in every of your posts. This rambling is over since everything pertinent that could be said was said.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:37 pm 

I like that he thinks his reviews are examples of good writing just because they're short and concise. He's kind of missing the actual 'quality writing' portion in that equation...

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:10 pm 

FullMetalAttorney wrote:
Take OzzyApu, for instance (I'm only picking on him because I recently read several of his reviews). He throws out a new metaphor every other sentence, without any cohesive overall theme or flow. Lots of detail vs. flow--I'll take flow any day. Especially when the review is so damned long and the paragraph breaks are few and far between. It's like reading a dense federal statute, with unconnected, hit-or-miss commentary on each and every line.

Give back whoever gave you your degree. I know for a fact that my paragraphs aren't long, and from someone like you who has to read tons and tons, I'm surprised you'd even think that way.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

FullMetalAttorney
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:02 pm 

I'm not getting into this.

"everything pertinent that could be said was said."

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:46 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/H ... autothrall

Very short on actual musical description.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:46 pm 

Very short? There's none whatsoever. This is surprising coming from Autothrall.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:05 pm 

:roll: Come on guys, settle down before the mud slinging gets out of hand.

Ilwhyan wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Horna/Musta_Kaipuu/241685/autothrall

Very short on actual musical description.

I'll message him about it; he'll pop up sooner or later.

Obligatory Last FM Link

PhantomGreen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:19 pm 

autothrall wrote:
This is raw black metal, done much like any other Horna recording of the past 16 years

Is that not sufficient enough when describing a raw BM band's b-sides?

Hell, maybe i'm just biased, Don't care much for the raw simple shit, And I'm quite the fan of autothrall's blog.

mea navis aëricumbens anguillis abundat

autothrall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:28 pm 

Eh, it's old and anorexic. I'll self-nuke it and send it over to the infirmary, where I will force feed it a fatty steak of musical description. Thanks for the heads up folks.

PhantomGreen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:20 pm 

Oh, and you're welcome for sticking up for you, asshole. :-P

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:44 pm 

Autothrall does not feel human emotions such as gratitude. This is probably the last we will hear from him in a while. He has rejoined the reviewing fungi of Yuggoth.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

PhantomGreen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:49 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Autothrall does not feel human emotions such as gratitude.

Yeah. He's obviously a android, the amount of music the man listens to and reviews is ungodly. I don't always agree with his views on a lot of music, but his blog is a good place to find some obscure music, and/or older classics one may have missed.

Last edited by PhantomGreen on Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:14 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/E ... 151/Spinal

This is old 2002 fair and loaded with offenses to all whom hold proper syntax dear. And for the "we need a countering negative opinion" crowd, Sean16's review does the job without launching a one-man assault on the English language.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:51 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/I ... _Dei_Ameth

Extremely badly written, doesn't describe the music in any other way but in asinine reiteration of the lack of riffs.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:03 pm 

IX Leviathan wrote:
Yet another barebones one off of Quo Vadis' debut. Pretty awful all round ranging from grammar, to the fact that he doesn't mention anything else about the album other than the first three tracks.

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Q ... 49/Helvete

This one sort of lies in a grey area I suppose in that its EP's only review, but it's a track by track and yet again, very barebones.

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/D ... /Vuurgeest

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/S ... 851/Largos

Another one here, Three paragraphs about how they're better than 'insert x melodeath band'. Then one paragraph of musical description where the reviewer pretty much just talks about the album's length.

Bumping these, as they got no response on the last page and probably got lost in that argument. If they were already looked over, disregard this.

EDIT: While I'm at it, here's another one. More filler than actual musical description, not a lot of the latter either.

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/P ... asinmaiden
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:54 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/E ... 3/Wicket02

What a butt-hurt reviewer. Not a good review, but a very bad complaining fanboy. Spelling mistakes, trying to sound tough with the "ain't", sloppy format, rambling on songs without descriptions, and overuse of calling the album "goofy". Guy's got really shitty points he's trying to make. Instead of describing the music, he throws obscenities and let's the reader know how pissed he is about the album.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:08 am 

This was very hard to read, indeed.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:21 pm 

FullMetalAttorney wrote:
By the way, you might want to look at the reviews for this band: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Dark_End/103340
especially their most recent album: http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/D ... _I/329687/

The style of all three reviews is very similar . . . anyway, they read like they were written by the same person, and that person has a stake in the band, especially when you consider the accounts that wrote them haven't written anything else (except one of them, who wrote one review for a different band in addition to several for that band).

I reviewed it and uh, either the other reviewers exclusively listen to bands that sound like Cradle of Filth, or... I don't need to consider another possibility.

The middle 100% review is poorly written, there's a bunch of nonsense at the beginning about how it's not like typical black metal, and I am astonished that anyone thinks this album is not dominated by keyboards. This one seems like very little thought was put into describing the music.
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/D ... rcyfulOath

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:58 pm 

For Darkestrah's The Great Silk Road lp - by dead_
-------------------------------

"Fantastic, Mind-blowing" album, The feeling of the atmosphere of Darkestrah's music, especially in this album is totally UN-DESCRIBABLE, everything is greatness to the fullest extent,

I often did like every track, and I have been listening to it for a while now, I never get bored, tired of listening to it more and more, Kriegtalith vocals are perfection for me and the music is well-done,

The first track (The Silk Road) is nice! a fine epic song, and then Inner Voice, and Kara Oy are both considered masterpieces, then Cult Tengri is a pure folk/black metal track which is also nice, I really enjoyed this album more than Epos, which was although a wonderful piece of art,

My feeling when I did find this band was extremely happy, I had (by then) spent few other months with no new bands at all, the truth about how ridiculous is the black metal scene nowadays, and all their disgusting (overrated) gear and things they wear, (Negroes in my opinion with IQ below 100, getting into black metal) and yes, that's how the scene is full-filled with at the moment,

So I have been listening only to a few bands such as Burzum, Nokturn Mortum and some others, then I just added Darkestrah to them,

I can't believe how people who listen to Cradle of Shit, or Satyricon or even Drudkh, or any of the other pagan idiotic bands could dislike this or call it bad/shitty music. YES I can't just believe it, This band is super and not even related to your garbage, go back to your disgusting DEATH METAL MEGADETH ETC, gross.

So yea I highly recommend this band, it's a strong hit to the whole Pagan/Black Metal music, go ahead and buy it ;).
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:32 pm 

What's this, Gutterscream? A perpetuation of the spirit of Crappy Diem? :) Much appreciated.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:55 pm 

Hum, I'd like a rebirth of the Crappy Diem.

Oh, right, I can do it myself, brb.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:26 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/M ... 1/Mirkwood

This is literally the entire review:

Quote:
It’s past and gone when the Nordic wind used to blow from Norway, and it’s rather all kinds of rotten stenches that you can get from there now. All these innumerable projects of talented virtuoso musicians arouse only firm disgust. Apart from DARKTHRONE and TSJUDER there’s nothing to recall, no matter what band I would try to trace. And here I got a promo-CD of a band unknown to me named MARERITT. Well, it is unknown not only to me though. Browsing through the Internet didn’t give any result, so let’s pass to the music straight away. Damn, I didn’t hear such Black Metal for long time. There’s an impression that this mini-album was recorded somewhat in the beginning of the 90-es – for so raw it sounds. But this impression is false as this project is a very young one. But the way the musicians could reproduce the atmosphere of complete underground is very respectable and it’s a big plus for them. Musically, it is primitive, very raw and slow BM, quite depressive and atmospheric. It’s not on the level of ABYSSIC HATE or NORTT (which is quite natural), but the band definitely has the potential. MARERITT will find its listener, just 17 minutes is a bit not too serious.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:57 am 

ach .. that review was the linguistic version of a hangover.

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:37 pm 

This one could probably go. It's very short, with only one sentence pertaining to the music.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:42 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/J ... /The_Ghoul

This review is so dumb. It barely has any description of the album, and it's poorly written. What the hell is a "tour de force". Seriously, this review needs to be fixed. Already talked with a queue mod and he agrees.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:23 pm 

A "tour de force" is a real expression, dude. It means "feat of strength".

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:41 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/G ... 28/barrage

Quote:
What is with the onslaught of goregrind and grindcore bands?! These guys are a bunch of yobs who step into a studio:
1) Mutter and scream some crap into the microphone.
2) The guitarists play the same guitar riff over and over again. (on their down tuned guitars in an attempt to sound heavy)
3) The bassist does his level best to sound audible. (epic fail)
4) The drummer punches in multiple blast beats and terrible ride, snare hits.

This is absolute, incorrigible, deplorable and despicable crap. (Also known as shit) Gorerotted started off okay but have turned into a pretty appalling band who sound like another band who played that riff you just heard, who sound like yet another band who played that riff you just heard. This has to stop. This is unfortunately classified as music, which is pathetic as grindcore sounds more like a mouse, a cat, a dog and a dogcatcher thrown into a small room and a microphone was kept in there to record the ruckus. Maybe the above concoction may sound more distinct.

Coming back to the music on this album, it is just a shade short of terrible and feeble put together, added with a bit of dreadful and frightful. And the song names?? ‘Stab Me Till I Cum’ – is this a frail attempt to copy Cannibal Corpse. Just because both bands lyrics are gory and about zombies doesn’t give Gorerotted the right to take a CC song and desecrate its name. ‘Cut, Gut, Beaten, Eaten,’ is three minutes and twenty four seconds of your life you're not getting back; it’s shoddy and pretty depressing simply because you can’t get jack of what’s going on. If these guys think that they can be the CC of goregrind they have another thing coming. ‘Mutilated in Minutes,’ and ‘Bed 'Em, Behead 'Em’ are both tracks running on a lost cause and so are the other tracks.

Final Verdict – 1% for sitting and wasting 26:06 minutes of the producers’ time and for their “attempt” to write an album called ‘Mutilated in Minutes’.

Most of the review is "OMG, this is so bad that Waking the Cadaver said DAAYUM"-style banter and the actual description is flimsy and could basically apply to any grindcore/goregrind band ever.

And then there's this: http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/G ... 28/TheMoor
Quote:
Right. What have we here? Gorerotted is certainly a band with a very so-so image, painted red on stage and all. Actually when I think about it, I really have to see them live someday...... He he. Nonetheless, what we have here is descent gore metal. Mondo Medicale or Necroticism this isn't, still not bad though. The vocals are on pretty much all the time, and you really must admit that the two vocalists work together with their different vocals. More often than not, you will here them both working at the same time, and that undeniably sounds very cool.

The lyrics are standard gore metal. So if you're into that sort of thing, (or you just don't really care about lyrics, like me) theres plenty of violence, slitted throats and decapitated civilians to be found on this record. Gotta admit that the whole thing is pretty damn catchy, as is most gore metal really. Oh yeah, if you dig "UUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" type growls, theres plenty on this album.

As said though, if you're the type that want technical solos and stuff like that, this probably ain't what you're looking though. I must admit, the lack of solos really hurts it a bit though, and it therefore can't achieve a better ranking in my book. The band has great potential, methinks. Guys, throw in some solos on your next, and I'm gonna send you a love letter. Yeah.

Cool, you told me that it's music with UUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR-type vocals and no solos. Gee, that's helpful.

We don't need reviews like this when the one that was most recently added to Mutilated in Minutes does a fine job of telling me exactly what to expect on the album.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:48 pm 

Quote:
At the Gate of Sethu - 100%

At the Gate of Sethu, another solid release from the South Carolina death metallars, Nile. This has to be the most atmospheric album Nile have released so far. Their previous releases are pure death metal, speed and sheer brutality with a pinch of Egyptian atmosphere. While this album delivers the same speed and brutality, it delivers even more. In this release, you are up to a darker more haunting atmosphere; as it doesn't only focus on the speed but also focuses on some slow riffs that amazingly go with the Egyptian ambiance. All that, along with the brutality of death metal are what make At the Gate of Sethu one hell of an album.

Having spoken of the amazing atmosphere of the album, let's tackle the memorability of most of the songs. The guitars are very solid, technical riffs here and there with quite some really great atmospheric Egyptian-like sound. I have had some quite hard time remembering most of the songs, some parts of them being a little monotonous. Nevertheless, the atmospheric riffs kind of break the monotony and make the songs quite memorizable. There are two instrumental tracks on this album, Slaves of Xul and Ethno-Musicological Cannibalisms delivering the atmosphere being created here, a very dark and evil one.

The production on this album is actually great. The guitars are very solid as I have mentioned, very heavy delivering the sheer brutality of death metal. The drums are really amazing, their great sound does George Kollias's playing justice. I personally love the vocals on this one, not much to say really. A great production done here nonetheless.

In my opinion, this album is a must-have for Nile and death metal fans. It is another great release by the band through Nuclear Blast. It is the best death metal can have, in my opinion; brutal and fast yet slightly melodic riffs, with fast yet solid drums, and amazing death metal growls. What are you waiting for, go ahead and buy the damn thing.

Track suggestions:
Enduring the Eternal Molestation of Flame
The Fiends Who Come to Steal the Magick of the Deceased
The Inevitable Degradation of Flesh
The Gods Who Light Up the Sky at the Gate of Sethu
Supreme Humanism of Megalomania
The Chaining of the Iniquitous

English is obviously not his first language as the grammar is bad and the musical description is a bit lacking. All he says is that it is awesome and atmospheric, and brutal repeatedly pretty much. He also says the tracks are unmemorable and monotonous in places yet he gives it a 100. I think the review is passable for an album with little to no reviews but not for one with so many, but that is just my opinion.

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/N ... 59/JKShred

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:00 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Heidevolk/Batavi/325593/hrothgar21

hrothgar21 wrote:
From track one all the way to the last track, you immediately recognize the same trusty Heidevolk sound that made the band well-known and brought them success! After listening to the album, we did noticed that the album itself is a bit darker and stronger than what we are used to from them, especially for folk metal standards. If you listen closely, it also contains lots of doom, black and heavy metal references. Is that bad? Hell no! In our opinion, it actually fits perfectly on this album. We would even go that far in saying that Heidevolk captured their energetic and the engaging aspect they have on stage very well on this cd, something we personally think was never too well captured on earlier cds and is, as many bands know, very difficult to do. But you can only make that decision if you have seen the band perform live, I guess.

^ That's all the musical description, and it tells someone who has never heard this band before (like me)... nothing, really.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:54 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/R ... ConorFynes

Quote:
There are heavy parts, mellow parts, and an epic, dramatic finale. Everything that an epic should have. It is in fact, the first epic that I fell in love with, and undoubtedly the precursor and influence that drove suceeding band's like Dream Theater to write their epics.

The rest of the songs range from being just alright to great. 'A Passage To Bangkok' is a great song, with oriental influences. The only really forgettable song on the album is 'Lessons.' The rest of it is actually really good.

My brain hurts.
Quote:
But it's too hard-rock oriented to stand the test of time

:o
He really has nothing worthy to say about this album. There's so much more that he could have put to describe the album, but is this really a passable review the way it is? Honestly?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186 ... 239  Next