Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:41 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... n__/396125

How in the hell was this accepted? It's literally two paragraphs about how much he hates groove metal (with nothing more than mentioning that Decapitated went groove), as well as a subtle mentioning of poor production and a few track-by-tracks. This review was almost painful to read, because of the horrible points made (although I know that doesn't make a review unacceptable). Still, absolutely no good description here.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:01 am 

Eh, I know you hate Mailman and all but this isn't really nukable. He goes off track a bit in the third paragraph but for the most part I'd say it passes as a three pointer. I at least have an idea what it sounds like.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:25 am 

I guess. I try to refrain from targeting specific reviewers, but I just thought the whole thing was trash (as is like everything he writes). Perhaps I'm a bit biased sometimes.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:42 pm 

Plain silly.
Spoiler: show
Now, I usually don't like this style. After first hearing this band in 2001, I initially wrote them off as "Incantation worship." I re-listened to this band about a month ago, while going through old CDs, and now I dig this album!
It grew on me in the month-long time. I don't thoroughly enjoy every second of this album, but there are some elements that I absolutely worship. Namely, the slams, and the vibe of the album... It's pretty evil-sounding, and I don't mean like cheesy black metal "eVuL"-type of dark. I mean, like Possessed "Seven Churches"-style. It fills my mind with vision of evil Texans having an evil seance on a hot summer night. Another thing I like about this album was even though I'm not "Satanic," I dig the band's upfrontness about their message, versus bands with subliminal messages and lyrics. A complaint of I have about this album is that the production is too muffled up, they take the bassy sound to an overkill level. Overall, a good album, hopefully this band will release something else in the future...

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/I ... ing/15395/

Same writer:
My favourite thrash band, none other than Texas' legends, D.R.I. Don't ask why, but I don't think any thrash band, past or present has touched D.R.I.
A thing about I love about this album is the "I could care less" attitude in regards to being tech. I mean, this, in my opinions is what the whole/thrash/crossover thing was about, right? Who cares about being a show off, that's not the purpose of playing music. This album is a perfect example of music that lacks technically, but more than makes up for it with substance. The riffs are very punkish, but more metal-sounding than The Dirty Rotten LP. The drums are often cited as being the proto-blast beat. I dont' know how true that is...the drums were a bit faster than your average thrash beat. Kurt's are shouted, yelled, and screamed. Pretty extreme for 1985, and very good album, even though it's not the most tech-conscience, as I stated before. More n00b kids need to listen to D.R.I., SOD, and old COC, then they can come talk "Thrash" with me...

Lacking every which way.
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 62/kd/3863

Last edited by Antioch on Thu May 31, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:44 pm 

poof
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:46 pm 

Haha. Good riddance. :)

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:24 pm 

Not much going on here. One sentence about the music, otherwise just tells us the album contents.
Everybody knows, or should know, that Hammerheart is a major money grabber label, that tries to make as much money as possible, spending the minimum. The good thing is that when they do this kind of plays they normally release good stuff. This time they have released the Aura Noir's kvlt debut album Dreams Like Deserts with some extra goodies like unreleased songs and live songs. Musically you get unholy (Black) thrash metal, very chaotic and raw. But if you know Aura Noir you already aknowledge this. Apart from the album, a plus to the very first Aura Noir´s song (with some Ved Buens End fell in to it) and to the participation of Fenriz, who sings in the first song.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Aura_Noir/Increased_Damnation/444797/Lord_Phobos/4062

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:32 am 

Yeah, the one above is generally terrible and hasn't told me anything I can't get from Aura Noir's MA entry.

I'm also pretty surprised about this one being accepted:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... eel/431267

Basically, he calls it shit in a hundred different ways, says it isn't black metal, mentions the song lengths, and then goes off to "take a couple aspirin". Musical description is extremely minimal.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:32 am 

poof poof

That second one has potential in there because the dude obviously feels very strongly about the album, he just needs to try again and tell us WHY it sucks so much instead of just calling it a shit sellout a dozen times.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:29 pm 

Really bad track-by-track.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... nman/54381

Edit: another one. Same author.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... nman/54381

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:25 am 

poof poof

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

BlackheartSauron
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:56 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ndaz/83846
Track by track, but that's the least of the sins.

What is this nonsense political propaganda about "fascists burning pro-federalist rally and concealing their crimes", "mainstream media" yada yada? This is not a review for music, this is political propaganda, and it has no place in reviews.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:46 am 

Eh, I'm willing to let the random political intro slide because ultimately it is a pointless soapbox but it's over quickly and it's not like she let's it influence the score or anything. The track-by-track bit is fine because it's a short 3-track EP by a relatively unknown band and it's not done in some obnoxious checklist style or anything.

I definitely don't encourage political grandstanding but it happens with even some of our best reviewers from time to time. As long as it doesn't descend into outright racism or something I'm not too fussed by it, especially when it basically just amounts to one throwaway sentence.

BlackheartSauron
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:37 pm 

It's not just a random political intro - there is a clear statement that pro-ukrainian activists in Odesa are fascists and murderers.

Seems like that review could be at least left without the first sentence.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:18 pm 

BlackheartSauron wrote:
It's not just a random political intro - there is a clear statement that pro-ukrainian activists in Odesa are fascists and murderers.

No, it's not; it's a statement about her feelings about the general media in light of current events.

It's really only an awkward intro because it lacks a follow-up. It's basically an aside in an otherwise comprehensive, well-described piece.

BlackheartSauron
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:47 pm 

Calling some people fascists and murderers is not an expression of "feelings". It's a political propaganda.
Anyhow, I can see that political propaganda inside music reviews is considered to be just fine here, as long as it's carefully embedded into the text. Ok, got it.

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:34 pm 

BlackheartSauron wrote:
Calling some people fascists and murderers is not an expression of "feelings". It's a political propaganda.
Anyhow, I can see that political propaganda inside music reviews is considered to be just fine here, as long as it's carefully embedded into the text. Ok, got it.

Rather a pedantic and dismissive bit there buddy. It's not only condescending but it reeks of the passive aggression usually reserved for the talking to that happens when you tell your WASPy mother that you don't want to go to church when you're twelve.

Anything is considered to be "just fine here, as long as it's carefully embedded into the text" because the mods aren't here to police peoples' opinions, they're just here to figure out whether a review meets the basic guidelines set forth. You can lose focus in a review and still draw it back to the music. Guess what, music makes people draw connections whether to ongoing situations or creates bursts of creativity that have their imaginations running wild.

Sure, overt calls for a political cause, no matter what they are, probably won't make a lot of friends in a review when it's supposed to be about the music. It's better not to touch it because everyone has their own reason for listening to a band. Still, considering how this review of a three track EP starts off without description about the music and is track by track, those would be my points to stick to when arguing for its removal. You totally lost me when you had an issue with someone having an opinion, in an opinion piece, on a free website, where no one gets paid, and everyone does this for fun.

To complain about how people can go off topic "as long as it's carefully embedded into the text", as though that is somehow an excuse for everyone to write about unicorns when talking about "Angel of Death", seems like a pretty childish thing to make an issue. Plus, if you can carefully compare unicorns and children "Sewn together, joining heads, Just a matter of time, 'til you rip yourselves apart", I'd love to read what's in store for the "millions laid out in their crowded tombs". Sometimes a meandering stream of consciousness is an awesome read. Check out 'Naked Lunch' and you'll see some of that craziness. The gonzo folks had that down to a science, and it was all made of chemical cocktails.

That shallow attempt to point out a bit of hypocrisy in saying "political propaganda inside music reviews is considered to be just fine here, as long as it's carefully embedded into the text" is just a terrible try to pin the mods as political for not policing political opinions. Guess what, it's 2018 "calling some people fascists and murderers" is indeed an expression of feelings, one that the United States has become very well-versed in throughout the past few years and it's not likely to stop. Still, if a new user named Hammer_N_Sickle decided to equate every Opeth album to the rise of the Proletariat while still describing the music, his angle would be annoying but he would probably be able to get his reviews up.

There are gimmicky reviewers in a lot of places, still I don't see all too many who are outright political unless something stirs a hornet's nest like that Havok album did a few months back. The lion-share is about the music, is it really so unusual to expect that there are fringe moments in an encyclopedia that hosts everything from Black Sabbath to NSBM and allows anyone to tell others what they think about it?

Still, as long as whoever is politicizing their review decides to talk about the goddamn music then let them soapbox for one paragraph. So long as they have plenty of paragraphs of description to at least qualify as a music review, they can talk about how every song holds up against "Yellow Submarine" for all I care.

Also, this is a website about some of the hardest, heaviest, most brutal music in the world and you're having an issue over strong language and strong feelings? I see a bit of a disconnect there. Your heart may be a few sizes too big to really be called "BlackheartSauron" if a music review with a bit of politics in its opening paragraph, for a barely-touched band from 2014 mind you, gets you going. It seems you did some serious digging to find an issue, too bad all the reasons for you issue are so shallow you didn't need to bring that shovel in the first place.

BlackheartSauron
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:00 pm 

Wow, that's a lot of text to write for somebody who thinks there's nothing to talk about.

But on the subject - the reviewer calls some people fascists and murderers. You equate this to "expressing opinion" and some nonsense about "equate every Opeth album to the rise of the Proletariat"? I fail to see how this is similar. Because it isn't.

As for what you think about me, or what you personally care about - again I fail to see how this is relevant. One thing is clear - you consider your opinion to be a golden standard of sorts, and you base all your arguments on that. But could you please remind me first who the hell are you? Oh wait, it's right there - "Metal newbie". I see.

P.S. "this is a website about some of the hardest, heaviest, most brutal music in the world"
ROFL

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:20 pm 

BlackheartSauron wrote:
Wow, that's a lot of text to write for somebody who thinks there's nothing to talk about.

But on the subject - the reviewer calls some people fascists and murderers. You equate this to "expressing opinion" and some nonsense about "equate every Opeth album to the rise of the Proletariat"? I fail to see how this is similar. Because it isn't.

As for what you think about me, or what you personally care about - again I fail to see how this is relevant. One thing is clear - you consider your opinion to be a golden standard of sorts, and you base all your arguments on that. But could you please remind me first who the hell are you? Oh wait, it's right there - "Metal newbie". I see.

P.S. "this is a website about some of the hardest, heaviest, most brutal music in the world"
ROFL

You know, you could have tried to have something to say, but instead you came up with a series of shallow attacks and reaffirmed how triggered a couple of words make you. Just because you don't like what a reviewer said doesn't mean that they can't be read. Your oblivious assertions of where authority falls really negate the reality that an opinion piece may have an opinion that you don't agree with in it.

Find someone new to troll, adios.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:13 pm 

"They see me trollin', they hatin'"

Using fictional ranks that are supposed to be humorous on a free-for-all online forum for a pun against someone whose opinion you don't share while having the same exact fucking rank is about the most pathetic attempt to prove one's superiority I've ever read.

BlackheartSauron
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:35 am 

PaganiusI wrote:
attempt to prove one's superiority

Wut?
The attempt to prove superiority was by the guy who tried to convince me that "it's fine because I consider it to be fine"

It's weird that you've seen that as "an attempt to prove superiority" while you missed the "most brutal music" and the rest of nonsense the nobody above wrote to pretend to be somebody.

BlackheartSauron
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:37 am 

Five_Nails wrote:
Find someone new to troll, adios.

Says a nobody who replies with 100% ad hominems and zero actual arguments.
Neat.

How about you go find a topic on which you actually have something to say?
This thread is getting way too much about discussing me because of all the pointless ad hominems, while the point is to discuss reviews.

And in last posts specifically, a review that spreads an "opinion" about some particular people being "fascists and murderers". In short, uses MA reviews as a platform for political propaganda. This bothers nobody, but everybody seems to care so much about my forum nickname (with "logical" arguments like "you can't make that comment if you have this nickname" and that kind of nonsense) and stuff. Is it some sort of an "off topic day" today?

P.S. And to put an end to that nonsense narrative about "your opinion vs someone else's opinion":
If somebody calls your mother a C-word - that's NOT an opinion. It's an insult.
If somebody calls your mother a witch or a fascist - that's NOT an opinion either, that's a denunciation.
If somebody calls your mother a thief or a murderer - that's a serious accusation (which one should take to court - not places like MA reviews section). NOT an opinion either.
If somebody calls your mother a fascist murderer - you have denunciation with false accusations, depending on context most probably for political reasons, thus political propaganda.
Still, nothing even close to an "opinion".

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:20 am 

I can safely say that you've made your point.

This thread isn't for this. It was a mistake for me to say anything, and considering that my comment was apparently what sparked this bickering, I hope it's enough that I ask it to stop.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:22 pm 

Him attacking the ranking reminded me of a serious question I've always wondered about: how do the ranks in the forum work?

They seem to be different than the user rankings (I am "veteran" as a user, but "metal newbie" in the forums). Is this rank given based off of the amount of posts? Also, I've noticed that some people have weird ranks that almost look like they were personally picked. Is that a privilege you get from achieving a certain rank?

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:33 pm 

The rank on the forums is based on your number of posts, while your site rank is based on the number of contributions. You can ask a mod to change your rank to one of your choosing (within reason obviously), which is why you see the odd ones. I dunno when you can do that I'm afraid.

Oh and if you do something especially stupid you may be involuntarily branded with a derisive rank. Not naming names.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:02 am 

This guy defines music in terms of very bad, bad, good, and very good. Nothing's going on in any of his reviews.
I can be more specific if needs be.

http://www.metal-archives.com/users/RequiredFields

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:20 am 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
Oh and if you do something especially stupid you may be involuntarily branded with a derisive rank. Not naming names.

Damn really? Now I'm curious.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:03 pm 

In the past, it was unwritten convention to offer custom titles to individuals with more than 1000 posts, on request. But if I know you well enough as a regular, I have no problem doing it for you regardless of that convention.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:37 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... Skyklad/96
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... Skyklad/96

Two oldies that are very brief.

martindavey87
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:06 pm 

Kinda weird my first visit to these forums bought me to this thread, but I'm of the opinion that most people who complain about others reviews usually only do so because they don't agree with the author's opinion. Not everyone has a perfect grasp of the English language, or are professional writers, and only do this for fun. I think there's more important things to get upset about than reviews on a metal website.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:02 pm 

True as that may be, this thread is specifically for eliminating reviews that do not follow the site's guidelines. The archives wants to maintain standards higher than reviews posted to Amazon and similar sites. A poorly written review isn't a catastrophe, but it is a hindrance to MA's goal of offering reviews that are reasonably coherent and informative (the guidelines aren't even that stringent).

Edit: Just wanted to add that there are tons of reviews here expressing opinions I find idiotic or incomprehensible, but which I know still fall within the rules so are not candidates for this thread.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:54 pm 

-

Last edited by Napalm_Satan on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
martindavey87
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:35 pm 

Cat III wrote:
True as that may be, this thread is specifically for eliminating reviews that do not follow the site's guidelines. The archives wants to maintain standards higher than reviews posted to Amazon and similar sites. A poorly written review isn't a catastrophe, but it is a hindrance to MA's goal of offering reviews that are reasonably coherent and informative (the guidelines aren't even that stringent).

Edit: Just wanted to add that there are tons of reviews here expressing opinions I find idiotic or incomprehensible, but which I know still fall within the rules so are not candidates for this thread.

Wait until I post my review for 'Paranoid'. :p

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:17 am 

More brief reviews

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... etal/19631
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... g_Adam/830

EDIT: https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... one/61780/

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:23 pm 

This review is spoiled by a number of letters that didn't translate legibly (sorry, don't know the correct words for the errors): https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... t666/58107

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:38 am 

Corrected.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:40 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ipse/6520/

Shouldn't be accepted anymore, right?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:00 am 

Yep. Rejected.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:50 pm 

I'm trying to understand the meaning of "wannabe black metal" and "biased" sound. Also, what the hell is a "dull background"?

The way this dude talks about the drumming reveals that he doesn't know shit about the record, but that's probably just the RC-fan speaking out of me.

I don't see how this review can be of acceptable quality for this site.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Rotting_Christ/Non_Serviam/1198/Aurora_Rider/358588

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:25 pm 

Basically a one-liner.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... yne/75553/

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227 ... 239  Next