Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheMeh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:01 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Ghost/Seven_Inches_of_Satanic_Panic/797386/TheMeh/339203
Barely any musical description in this one.

I think a part of me is kind of offended that I try to add some actual help onto this post, and you go out of your way (like you have to others so far) about how bad my reviews are just because I tried to assist.

Yeah, I get that there’s some issues with my review (albeit being four paragraphs for seven minutes of garbage) - still trying to perfect my craft here. Not that Ghost is music anymore, but... regardless to the facts. I’m still working on getting better at writing reviews and consolidating my opinions.

Added, sometimes the issues with an album transcend just its baseline music and sound. Topical discussion, inference to the contents of its lyrics and general laughable cringe in its title (among other areas), to some degree, is still a review. I agree that my method on that review isn’t perfect or particularly good, but, again, I’m just trying to write these things for fun and perfect my craft while writing them. I personally believe it’s substantial enough to be a review. Call me an asshole if you wish.

Next time, though, at least respect that there are people around here trying to clean up the less redeemable reviews and are also trying to substantiate said site with more quality reviews. I think I’d appreciate it a lot more.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:19 pm 

Don’t worry man, no one’s calling you an asshole for leaving out musical description. Diamonds could have been more tactful about how (i.e. where and when) he brought up that issue, but it does seem like a relevant point. That review has been accepted, so a mod obviously thought there was enough value to publish on the site. As a music fan, however, I prefer to have the context explained about bands I don’t know well. Just try to back up your points a bit more substantially and it will be fine.

TheMeh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:43 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Don’t worry man, no one’s calling you an asshole for leaving out musical description. Diamonds could have been more tactful about how (i.e. where and when) he brought up that issue, but it does seem like a relevant point. That review has been accepted, so a mod obviously thought there was enough value to publish on the site. As a music fan, however, I prefer to have the context explained about bands I don’t know well. Just try to back up your points a bit more substantially and it will be fine.

I get what you mean. I’ll definitely make sure to be doing that a bit more often. I confess, sometimes keeping good focus on some of the releases here hasn’t been a consistently easy task - so I do appreciate the feedback on this kind of stuff. Hopefully I can be better for it.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:40 am 

Just stumbled on this. "not bad but just sound way too similar from soug to song"

Basically an Amazon review. "...sounds like what In Flames could do if they were a little better" is the only specific musical description, and even then, which album?

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:47 am 

Ah yeah demonomania is a classic recurring offender from the times the site mods (completely different group of people from now) accepted pretty much everything.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:21 am 

droneriot wrote:
Ah yeah demonomania is a classic recurring offender from the times the site mods (completely different group of people from now) accepted pretty much everything.

Ugh, that explains it. Man, 2005 were dark times. His Wages of Sin review is terrible too. It's got some musical description at least, but on the other hand, "Gaythenburg".

TheMeh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:15 pm 

Not sure if this review on Devin Townsend's 'The Hummer' ( https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... n91/139616 ) really explains anything. It broadly implies there's some kind of message, some kind of concept, but it doesn't really touch on the subject of the actual music or anything of the like at all.

I get if it's an allowed review, but it definitely reads as a strange one, to me.

Petrus_Steele
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:00 pm 

This review has me boggled:

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... Cat/374916

Just by reading the first sentence: if you're saying you won't spend a lot of time on the review but then say it's a waste of time, why have it in the first place? With all the harsh criticism and the very low-rated individual reviews towards any album on the site, I'm under the impression the purpose was to put them out there and not claim them to be so much but a waste of time because otherwise, it defeats the purpose. Wouldn't you say so?

That being said, I don't think he talked about the musical aspect of the album enough. He mostly talked about or criticized the drums and referenced one or two metaphors regarding the instrument.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:05 am 

More of a recommendation than a review:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/M ... eim/250387
Spoiler: show
On one hand, I'm surprised that no-one has reviewed In Absentia Christi yet, given the Euronymous connection as well as being released on the sadly defunct Misanthropy label, which was the home for all things creative and/or avant-garde metallically speaking in the 90's. On the other hand trying to describe this album is no easy task at all, so maybe thats why there isn't any reviews?

Well, this isn't really a review as I cannot put the atmospheric godliness of this album into words, so lets call it a Monumentum awareness blurb. This is one mysterious and obscure gem that would be at home in any dark music lovers collection. It sounds almost like Celtic Frost released Into the Pandemonium in 1991 after listening to both Fields of the Nephilim's Elizium album and Dead Can Dance. Kind of.

Call it avant/goth/world/metal I guess, but if you want to hear something completely different and beautifully dark, get a hold of this at all costs.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:48 pm 

Tanuki wrote:
droneriot wrote:

Ugh, that explains it. Man, 2005 were dark times. His Wages of Sin review is terrible too. It's got some musical description at least, but on the other hand, "Gaythenburg".

Yeah what a moron...oh wait.

I agree that many of my old reviews were too snarky and/or were just plain bad. Nuke away.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:11 pm 

demonomania wrote:
I agree that many of my old reviews were too snarky and/or were just plain bad. Nuke away.

Ah shit. I'm sorry man, I shouldn't have said terrible, that was just me being a dick. Try as I might, I still get way too defensive over albums I like, haha.

TheMeh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:24 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... pian/23414

This review has me significantly boggled. It kind of sounds like it was written by someone who's better into rap. If that's supposed to be the gimmick, I fucking hate it. That, and there's incredibly minimalistic examples of the actual sound of the music, and the rest is calling the record shit for being shit.

I get if that's acceptable review quality, but I believe there's a better way than saying "yo, it's shit because it's shit but here are like two things I liked about it I guess". There should be better, more concrete reasoning for it.

Honestly just hurts to read in general.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:00 am 

TheMeh wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/The_Devin_Townsend_Band/Synchestra/106643/caspian/23414

This review has me significantly boggled. It kind of sounds like it was written by someone who's better into rap. If that's supposed to be the gimmick, I fucking hate it. That, and there's incredibly minimalistic examples of the actual sound of the music, and the rest is calling the record shit for being shit.

I get if that's acceptable review quality, but I believe there's a better way than saying "yo, it's shit because it's shit but here are like two things I liked about it I guess". There should be better, more concrete reasoning for it.

Honestly just hurts to read in general.

Well, Caspian has actually written quite a lot on this site, and his style is pretty conversational. He does say far too often that it's shit, but there is musical description in there. I can understand the main point is that the riffs are boring and the songs are too zany, which seems to show too much time has been spent on production instead of songwriting. Perhaps the writing style seems jarring and this isn't one of Caspian's best, though it seems passable considering the musical comments.

SpinRightRound
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:17 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ire/180941

I just have a suspicion that this review might be dishonest (created by a person who isn't independent from the artist).
It doesn't help that there are no other reviews to their name, and it's 100%. Yet other albums of this artist haven't been close to 100%.
Just saying maybe someone who is more smart and experienced than me should take a look...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:24 pm 

Nothing seems to point that way. Just your average run of the mill fangirl is all.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:56 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ades/53289

Really awkward, checklist style track-by-track review from 2005 that also cites other reviews from earlier that have already been nuked. It actually reminds me of almost every review I wrote from that year that were subsequently nuked and I'm still working on rewriting. lol
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:18 pm 

The name-checking of the Church of England and the Crusades is quite baffling, too. I reckon it's good enough to stay, mind you.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:20 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
The name-checking of the Church of England and the Crusades is quite baffling, too. I reckon it's good enough to stay, mind you.

Content-wise, I'd tend to agree that it would barely make the cut, but I had about 40 reviews from 2005 and early 2006 axed because I used the checklist format. :-P

I'm not going to lose any sleep over this staying up even though I like the album in question, just bringing it to everyone's attention.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:25 pm 

Already handled, and agreed with you.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:57 pm 

Old, brief review here

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ding/7384/

Nightsward
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:55 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... _sun/61615

Barebones review (reads more like a promotional blurb, really) with practically no musical description in it.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:22 pm 

Gone.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:06 am 

Hate to get rid of a 90% for this album, but this is a blatant track by track from '03.

This short paragraph does have musical description, none of which tells you anything you can't gather from the genre tag, album/song titles and cover art. Plus the author admits in the first sentence that he refuses to do research that would take 10 seconds.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:31 am 

Another track by track that's unfortunately a high score for a deserving album.

Short on description, but might be barely passable. Also uses "compromise" when he meant "comprise", even if the latter would also be incorrect according to strict prescriptivists.

BuriedUnborn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:12 pm 

So I was checking the three reviews of TBDM's first demo and they are old (2004 and 2005) but break some of the modern rules when submitting a review:

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... rse/13500/

The oldest one, by mutiilator, doesn't explain anything at all more than the album being brutal as death metal and melodic as metalcore.

The second one, by SoulSeekJay, explains the music a little bit better but still fails at explaining what the music sounds like.

Lastly, the latest one (from 2005), by Altair, does manage to explain how the album sounds like but genres names are capitalized.

None of these members are active at this point unless they have moved to another account, but these reviews wouldn't cut the modern standards of the site. I'm not sure what the rules for reviews were back then, and if they are meant to stay because they are old and were written in the early days of the site, when rules were different or if they should be removed since they no longer fit the rules.

Moshing: Dancing like a madman, perpetrating a frantic and violent dance which consists in jumping and whipping your body against other brainless idiots until you enter an irrational and brutal pyramid of pleasure.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:49 pm 

Both of these reviews for the same album are early ones with poor formatting and errors, plus fairly little musical description.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ude/17617/
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

CheesusCrust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:40 pm 

I would really like to see the admins assess all reviews that use ableist and homophobic titles or content.

For example;

The many reviews titled "Royal Seal of Gayness" by Hells_Unicorn, here is one for example;

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... corn/29518

An example of ableism in a review;

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ying/66976

I will find more and post them here as I actually have time to in the midst of quarantine but I don't think homophobic or ableist content in reviews is acceptable and I'd hope the mods would agree otherwise that's a bad look for everyone on MA letting this childish stuff slide.

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:24 pm 

CheesusCrust wrote:
I would really like to see the admins assess all reviews that use ableist and homophobic titles or content.

For example;

The many reviews titled "Royal Seal of Gayness" by Hells_Unicorn, here is one for example;

I will find more and post them here as I actually have time to in the midst of quarantine but I don't think homophobic or ableist content in reviews is acceptable and I'd hope the mods would agree otherwise that's a bad look for everyone on MA letting this childish stuff slide.

Kind of a hypocritical vendetta coming from someone whose username pokes fun at a major religion's messiah while simultaneously insulting pizza.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:28 pm 

Five_Nails wrote:
CheesusCrust wrote:

For example;

Kind of a hypocritical vendetta coming from someone whose username pokes fun at a major religion's messiah while simultaneously insulting pizza.

I wasn't going to say anything, but his listed interests on his profile are "heavy metal, whiskey and pussy". Kinda misogynistic if you ask me. A word of advice Cheesus, check your own micro-aggressions before playing PC Principal.

P.S. - The "Royal Seal Of Gayness" title is a homage to the "Red Badge of Gayness" episode of South Park (Season 3, Episode 14), anything "homophobic" that you are reading into the title is a product of your own imagination. I reread the Roots review, there is no mention of anything in the review itself bashing gay persons, and the implied meaning of the title is an ironic parody of the original meaning of the term (i.e. overtly happy and carefree). If the mods decide that the titles are not appropriate, I will change them, but absent that they are staying as is.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Last edited by hells_unicorn on Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:33 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Five_Nails wrote:
CheesusCrust wrote:

For example;

I wasn't going to say anything, but his listed interests on his profile are "heavy metal, whiskey and pussy". Kinda misogynistic if you ask me.

'Tis the season for trolling.

CheesusCrust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:42 pm 

Quote:
The "Royal Seal Of Gayness" title is a homage to the "Red Badge of Gayness" episode of South Park

I'd say it's more unoriginal then just ripping off South Park but still childish as hell at the same time.

CheesusCrust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:45 pm 

So we're just going to ignore the numerous references to down syndrome and other ableism I've seen in not only GuntherTheUndying's review but many others?

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:46 pm 

Funny that you started out trying to make that big point about bigotry but a few posts down the line it just degraded into ageist complaints about childishness. So the rallying cry against bigotry was really just a ruse to kick off rants about how much you don't like children?

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:47 pm 

CheesusCrust wrote:
Quote:
The "Royal Seal Of Gayness" title is a homage to the "Red Badge of Gayness" episode of South Park

I'd say it's more unoriginal then just ripping off South Park but still childish as hell at the same time.

You're right. It's very unoriginal to come on this forum having contributed nothing to this website in the years you've had an account and deciding just now to have a virtue signaling vendetta to police the language of people who write reviews because you don't like it.

It's happened plenty of times on this site and luckily every time those self-righteous douches pop up to coat the forums with their stink, they are called out, eventually flip out, and end up without accounts.

CheesusCrust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:19 pm 

Five_Nails wrote:
CheesusCrust wrote:
Quote:

You're right. It's very unoriginal to come on this forum having contributed nothing to this website in the years you've had an account and deciding just now to have a virtue signaling vendetta to police the language of people who write reviews because you don't like it.

It's happened plenty of times on this site and luckily every time those self-righteous douches pop up to coat the forums with their stink, they are called out, eventually flip out, and end up without accounts.

Oh no, what ever will I do with out a MA account? How will I ever get by without conversing without fine adults such as yourself? What will I do to kill time? Guess I'll have to close the MA tab on my phone as hard as that will be.

It's not that I don't like the reviews, I mean I don't but I am trying to understand why people here would rather defend the reviews themselves than allow derogatory comments about the mentally disabled to be allowed like they're not totally ableist. Is there any good reason to call something "gay" or compare it to someone with Down Syndrome in negative reviews?

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:45 pm 

CheesusCrust wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, but the point of a homage isn't to be original, it's to pay tribute to something or someone that a person admires. But feel free to call it childish to your heart's content, that was actually one of the chief complaints that people had about South Park during the early days of the show, which is why just about everybody who was in my high school loved it. Toilet humor, slapstick and similarly juvenile modes of joke-telling are popular largely because people can have a brief respite from being a serious adult, something you might want to try once in a while. I see on your profile that you're in your early 20s, but your approach here is a dead-on match for how Boomers were back in the 90s.

I'll leave it to those who read my stuff to determine whether the attempts at humor in a small collection of my reviews were either successful or not, but in the words of the venerable Siddhartha Guatama, "Chill bro." (note: Buddha didn't actually say that, that's another of those things we call jokes)

Quote:
Is there any good reason to call something "gay" or compare it to someone with Down Syndrome in negative reviews?

Because in certain contexts it can be both amusing and harmless. Most of the raunchiest gay jokes I've ever heard were told to me by gay men, and even though I thought he was a lousy comedian, Carlos Mencia actually did standup for audiences made up of the mentally handicapped and they got a royal kick out of his "Dee dee dee" gags.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Last edited by hells_unicorn on Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:49 pm 

CheesusCrust wrote:

Oh no, what ever will I do with out a MA account? How will I ever get by without conversing without fine adults such as yourself? What will I do to kill time? Guess I'll have to close the MA tab on my phone as hard as that will be.

It's not that I don't like the reviews, I mean I don't but I am trying to understand why people here would rather defend the reviews themselves than allow derogatory comments about the mentally disabled to be allowed like they're not totally ableist. Is there any good reason to call something "gay" or compare it to someone with Down Syndrome in negative reviews?

It's more a creative freedom and guidelines issue for me. People can get pedantic, the language they used years ago isn't the same as it is now in most places. That's a given. Still, this isn't Tumblr.

If someone wants to rant about the Jews on a Burzum review, it probably won't fly because it's not about the music, band, or package offered. If an album like https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Manowar/Fighting_the_World/311 is called "gay" for its cover, I'd easily understand, but that writer had better write about the fucking music.

That's the crux of a review, not the language used, the content and making sure it's about the music, band, package, and entire perspective that it's an opinion offered about that product on offer. Zealous reviews seem to get less scrutiny than negative ones do at times. There have been rants from people about negative reviews because of how they're "obviously biased".

Isn't a review a biased opinion piece anyway? If you feel strongly enough about an album or are obliging someone with a review, it would be nice to find a heartfelt opinion in it.

But we're not talking opinion.

We're not even talking about context.

We're talking optics, and that's all you seem to care about.

Your gripe is that people use mean words and you don't like them because it makes things look unprofessional on a website where people who aren't paid, who volunteer their time, and who put effort into their craft, have the freedom to say things their way.

Pay me some money, I won't call anything you say "gay". Don't pay me, and you'll see my honest talk.

I get it, that word is your bugaboo. Does it have to be everyone else's?

I have down syndrome cousins, we headbang every year when we get together, and things get retarded. It's fun, not offensive and my cousin thinks that Syndrome of a Down is as funny as I do.

Childish is the bugaboo word you try to keep using. Isn't that a bit self-defeating considering you're probably an angry teenager taking umbrage with reviews written before you even made an account here by some of the longest-standing contributors to this site?

Fuck that "childish" complaint. Sometimes you need to be. It's damn fun when things get tough and this site has no guideline about quality of opinion, no byline of banned words, the site just makes sure you talk about the damn music. We did something like this with far better made equipment a week ago before we had to lock down for coronavirus. It's fun to be childish at any age, don't let age keep you from having a bit of fun.

You want to have a whine, CheesusCrust, that's your prerogative. Don't wave that complaint around as though you're doing anything more than not producing anything yourself. As uncreative as reviewers can be, at least they did something with their time. You could actually do something with your quarantine time. I'm guessing it won't be much considering the amount of bitching I've seen on the MA forum so far.

Droneriot would understand when I say that I was a dumbfuck for last week's thing. Sorry bud, won't happen again. Glad to join you on this mauling.

CheesusCrust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:30 pm 

Quote:
Because in certain contexts it can be both amusing and harmless. Most of the raunchiest gay jokes I've ever heard were told to me by gay men, and even though I thought he was a lousy comedian, Carlos Mencia actually did standup for audiences made up of the mentally handicapped and they got a royal kick out of his "Dee dee dee" gags.

Using Carlos Mencia is a pretty dated reference but what do I expect from a guy who still has a link to his Myspace profile in 2020. *facepalm*

Obviously you are still living in 2005 and think you can go about making derogatory remarks about marginalized groups of people in 2020 the same way you did 15 years ago.

Last edited by CheesusCrust on Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:33 pm 

CheesusCrust wrote:
Using Carlos Mencia is a pretty dated reference but what do I expect from a guy who still has a link to his Myspace profile in 2020. *facepalm*

Obviously you are still living in 2005 and think you can go about making derogatory remarks about marginalized groups of people in 2020 the same way you did 15 years ago.

Wait, aren't you being ageist now?

Here's where you write "OK boomer" and walk away thinking that you won.

Now we've gotten that out of the way, you can go right back to your safespace: https://www.reddit.com/r/MetalMemes/

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:47 pm 

CheesusCrust wrote:

Bahahaha!!! Actually I'm living in 1999 if you want to go by the review that you're continually complaining about, since the inspiration for said title goes back to when Bill Clinton was still president. And sue me both for not bothering to update part of my profile from 13 years ago and for being a Gen Xer who couldn't give two shits about what some whiny twit who probably can't even use a can-opener properly thinks about my taste in comedy.

Tell you what, how about you dress in one of those nice little ninja costumes and make a little video about how you checked my privilege. Woo! Woo! Woo! Hear that everyone, that's 2020 coming to pull my ass over. :lol:

Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231 ... 239  Next