terrr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:09 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
terrr wrote:
Morn Of Solace wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Metallica/Lulu/320007/terrr/912136

I think this slipped... This is blatant trolling, not even fun :(

I think you just can't handle the high and inherent value of Lou's art.

I don't care for that album, yours is just base level trolling that should have no place here

My intention there was clearly not trolling, and that's all that matters. Reviews are supposed to be informative to the reader to let them know what they should expect. My review was simply a humorous one trying to point out how unintentionally comedic everything in there is. Nobody was insulted, and nobody other than you got uppity over it. You can blow any further complaints up yours, for that's where they belong.

Spider_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:11 am 

terrr wrote:
Morn Of Solace wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Metallica/Lulu/320007/terrr/912136

I think this slipped... This is blatant trolling, not even fun :(

I think you just can't handle the high and inherent value of Lou's art.

I def agree about not trolling. Until this review was even pointed out, I probably never would had read it, tbh. As for me, Metallica stopped being any good after And Justice for all... that album will always remain their best album, and a true, and intense classic.

Needless to say, just read this review, and was def enjoyable read, def saw the humor you were trying to convey in your review. Well done, sir! :D

However, just now remember you from reading another one of your reviews... your Jäätyäkuu - Fagyhold review. Mine will def be immensely, and vastly different from your's (as I will be writing for that one, here very soon), as I very much have enjoyed that album a few times over, as well as supported on Bandcamp. Minus the score you gave was still well-written overall.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:40 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... es/890650/

This is literally one big rant

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:03 pm 

TheLoneForest wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Liturgy/Origin_of_the_Alimonies/890650/

The first section of the review in particular is a rant but the rest is not too bad. It's a pretty good description of what I too thought of the album when I had a listen.

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:15 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... is/1043649

Zero description of how the album actually sounds. He's basically covering up the phrase "it sucks" with excessive hyperbole and comparisons to other bands that have nothing in common with Atheist. The guy's earlier reviews are pretty shitty already, but this I think has to go.
... stop laying the blame on me alone, as next time I see you calling out my name in public just to vent your frustration, as if I were some sort of second coming of Stalin, I might stop being so polite and I might even tell you where to put your Philosophy degree.

Spider_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:00 am 

Gas_Snake wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Atheist/Jupiter/283601/Anus_Canis/1043649

Zero description of how the album actually sounds. He's basically covering up the phrase "it sucks" with excessive hyperbole and comparisons to other bands that have nothing in common with Atheist. The guy's earlier reviews are pretty shitty already, but this I think has to go.

Good grief! I would have to agree... if nothing else, for this alone, I'm sure... "vocals are grating and horrible AF"...

Who in the hell writes "AF" in a review!??? :D Nails on chalkboard grating 'cringe'.... that's something you write maybe in a Fb status/ reply/ or, comment.... NOT in a review! I stopped reading after that haha :D

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:11 am 

From that review, I only have the impression that the vocals are bad and the music is "horrendously composed"... no mention of any of the other instruments or why the album is so poor with regard to composition. He's so wrapped up in making excessive comparisons in literally every single review to any one of Pantera, Demilich, Morpheus Descends or whatever else he reviewed at least once, but has now gone off the deep end and just decided to compare this to everything he's seen or listened to that's bad for no apparent reason. He also has a really annoying tendency to repeat himself and use certain words and phrases over and over, so his writing is not just insufferable, it's formulaic as well.

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:23 am 

Alright, I see that Anus_Canis has gained quite a bit of notoriety here. I went through some of his reviews last night, because his jump from Metallica and Pantera to Atheist of all bands drew my attention. I wanted to see what he had to say about one of my favorite bands.

Ok, the reviews are truly a hoot. But I'm interested to hear how much we should buy into some personal info that he's provided. Is he really 18 and a recent escapee from a restrictive Christian environment/community? Because, if those things are true, it does provide a different context for his reviews. They're not good, but the idea of a some kid documenting his discovery of metal in real time... I don't know, I kinda dig it. :D

Of course, we could be dealing with a troll, there's just something in the way the reviews are laid out that seems legit. They're remarkably naive, which, if you're trolling, is hard to emulate. There are always tell-tale signs of trolling when it happens, but I'm not seeing them here.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:05 am 

Yeah, we're pretty convinced he's just new to metal. It's pretty common for young people to start reviewing the classics, and to usually overly praise or criticize them. He has been improving, and if he keeps it up, in a few years time he may look back on his early reviews and wonder "Did I Really Write That?". For now, enjoy the nostalgia of watching someone discover metal and reviewing, much as it was for us when we were young.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:52 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
TheLoneForest wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Liturgy/Origin_of_the_Alimonies/890650/

The first section of the review in particular is a rant but the rest is not too bad. It's a pretty good description of what I too thought of the album when I had a listen.

I'm not sure why people are asking for reviews that go against their opinion to be taken down. I don't agree with plenty of reviews on this site, but I'm not demanding the mods to take them down for the sake of my opinion being "right".

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:39 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... _666/79385

Short and nondescriptive. Contains a grand total of one and a half sentences that bother to describe the music in any capacity, and none of em go into the "how it sounds" bit. Guy just threw together some grandiose epithets and called it at that.

Also, he does state that his review originates from an official publication to a webzine, but this is not a free pass to quality land, as far as I know. I've read some others out of curiosity, and they're... not good, to put it mildly.
... stop laying the blame on me alone, as next time I see you calling out my name in public just to vent your frustration, as if I were some sort of second coming of Stalin, I might stop being so polite and I might even tell you where to put your Philosophy degree.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:28 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... bara/25319
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ilent/7882

Both too short to have any real value.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

Spider_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:41 am 

Spoiler: show
I am only assuming that I am in the right thread, if not I don't really fucking care at this point honestly. I really don't. So this thread reads "(AKA Why was this review accepted?"........ my question to you Morrigan, since you were the one to make this particular thread in the first place (as well as make the decision to go on a fucking deleting spree with my reviews, completely UNWARRANTED)..... the question should more like read as this: ""Why was this review accepted, and then DELETED?""

I am addressing BOTH you and MutantClannfear as he was your apparent lacky in this fucked as hell decision you made on having all 5 fucking Totale Vernichtung reviews deleted.... no, neither you or him could not take the time to PM me stating anything of this, could not take the time to save back to draft instead of me losing 4 fucking months of my time in writing those, no it seemed much easier to discuss amongst ya'll'selves to make this retarded fuck decision.

And, don't give me the "Nsbm" shit either, as my Aufgegeben review ((was)) still up, and that band is fucking blatant Nsbm. Totale Vernichtung is absolutely NOT, no matter what you Mods/ Metal lords so happen to think, it's been mentioned in interviews this, made fucking public, so don't even give me that fucking Goddamn shit!! Metantoine obviously had, had a problem with my supporting Totale Vernichtung, but that is not his fucking business who I listen to and who I choose to show my love and support for. If a band is on Metal-Archives, they are subject to review, and it was known on my M-A profile page how and why I write exactly how I do, I gave no special treatment over Totale Vernichtung as ALL bands I had written for, I had written with immense passion. So, don't you dare fucking single out Totale Vernichtung to me!! God fucking damn it!!

Those 5 reviews were NEVER rejected, all ACCEPTED within the past 4 fucking months, and were very appreciated not only by the band, but I have had a few people message me telling me that my reviews of his band got them to go and check him out, and expressed immense appreciation to me. Do you 2 fucking morons even realize what you have done????? Do you even???? I have watched and seen so much shit go through here and out, it isn't even funny. It's not even cool alot of stuff that some of you Metal lords I have seen do. Shit like this is one of many issues with this site!! I have been here for the LONG FUCKING HAUL, since 2006, and I am already ready to walk away from M-A, which at one time had truly meant something to me, it's all about fucking power and control from some of you, there is only one......................... only O N E Mod that still gets my respect as he has never been anything but honest with me, and that is Azmodes. I will always respect him regardless, the rest of you guys can fucking go to Goddamn hell for all I care. I will never regret writing this. Fred fucking Durst me if you guys want to, might as fucking well, cause guess fucking what???????????????????

I DON'T FUCKING CARE AS I WILL N O T BE COMING BACK. I am drunk and I am furiously angry as Goddamn hell, and I will look back on this and still not fucking care!!

Much love and respect always to you Azmodes............ fuck all the rest of you that were even in on this decision, that was HIGHLY unwaranted!! Fuck you guys really

Last edited by Morrigan on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned for being a brain-dead nazi apologist dipshit having an epic meltdown

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:28 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... e17/413797

Why is this new Nightfall review on the site? The reviewer doesn't get ''specific'' about the music until the forth (!) paragraph and even after reading that one, I'm still clueless. There are a lot of general explanations, but the lack of details make me confused.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:45 pm 

colin040 wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Nightfall/At_Night_We_Prey/905430/Livingwave17/413797

Why is this new Nightfall review on the site? The reviewer doesn't get ''specific'' about the music until the forth (!) paragraph and even after reading that one, I'm still clueless. There are a lot of general explanations, but the lack of details make me confused.

It's a fine review. There's enough musical description.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

S_Stormhammer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:26 pm 

So I was perusing a band page I'd recently discovered here and couldn't help but notice that some reviews were deleted, [https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Totale_Vernichtung/61880]. After reading the review for Feuerbesttatung, it made me want to go and explore the band's music in order to see if it was as good as the review said it was. Why was that review deleted? I can't find it anywhere.

AncientCall
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:25 am 

S_Stormhammer wrote:
So I was perusing a band page I'd recently discovered here and couldn't help but notice that some reviews were deleted, [https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Totale_Vernichtung/61880]. After reading the review for Feuerbesttatung, it made me want to go and explore the band's music in order to see if it was as good as the review said it was. Why was that review deleted? I can't find it anywhere.

Yes, it is directly linked to the message above, written by Spider_X .... I think despite the heated arguments that went on an official statement of the mods should be mandatory. How could it be that a user with the rank of metallord can just delete five reviews in a matter of seconds without a statement why it happened? I would def appreciate to know the reasons for this ... maybe there are reasons I could understand but now it simply looks unfair

Being a Metal Archive all metal bands are present, if someone reviews the music it's fine and the review gets accepted (like the 5 reviews on Totale Vernichtung) ... if someone would glorify political oppinions and the likes of that it get's rejected .... but deleting reviews after they were accepted for being correctly done .... it makes the whole thing look shady and very arbitrary

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:17 am 

It is not uncommon for us to reassess reviews that may have been approved in error and/or determined to have been unacceptable. That was the case here.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

AncientCall
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:22 am 

Derigin wrote:
It is not uncommon for us to reassess reviews that may have been approved in error and/or determined to have been unacceptable. That was the case here.

ok I see, seems that this got unnoticed here and it's a misunderstanding then.

Thanks for the answer

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:23 am 

No problem. This thread here is a prime example of that reassessment process in practice.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

vigaljot
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:09 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... d_R/414704

I wouldn't call this review awful at all, it is just misleading and kind of out of place: the reviewer states himself that he is evaluating the live performance from a different recording than the one he is supposed to review here, namely from the bonus disk on the "Live in Leipzig" release. It says clearly in the notes that the stand alone "Live in Zeitz" release is a different (better) recording than the one used for the bonus disk of the "Live in Leipzig" release. The reviewer has listened to a different recording than the one here released. The fact that the entire review revolves around the quality of the recording makes it useless, since it is the wrong recording he is listening to.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:25 am 

Just found this after I wrote my LHP review. Standard track by track.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... pkin/28934

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:46 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... hs/857624/

Super, super brief - the review tells you nothing.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:05 pm 

colin040 wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Deconsekrated/The_Hidden_Paths/857624/

Man I like brief reviews but this is a little too brief. If you blink you'll miss it. Unlike the polar opposite Left Hand Path review above which is just too much, I just looked at it and went fuck that got better things to do.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:40 pm 

colin040 wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Deconsekrated/The_Hidden_Paths/857624/

Seeing how super short this review is, I figured I'd archive it as an example on how going short can sometimes be TOO short.

Sweetie wrote:
Deconsekrated have nothing more to their name outside these two tracks put into one demo known as The Hidden Paths. This is a technical yet gritty take on death metal that will likely one day mold into something along the Decrepit Birth line. Wavy rhythms running up and down the fretboard with drastic changes in strum patterns make this a tad more intricate, and the extreme speed of drum blasts under a rough atmosphere almost feels blackened at times. Though they probably could have given us more to work with, it's a solid enough start.

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:17 pm 

I highly doubt this is even acceptable:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... igh/243883

Human666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:38 am 

I know that there are those people who just HAVE to be contrarians, but this guy broke some rules:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 922/853070

Quote:
Avoid referring to reviews of other members. This can be considered very rude, unless you point out a previously made comparison that you agree with, or wish to elaborate on a point someone made before you. But writing a review contradictory to a previous one just out of spite, or to boost or lower the average rating, is not acceptable.

Plus there are too many incoherent sentences such as:

Quote:
most tracks have the guitar riffs play they terrible riffs

Quote:
What makes this even worse is that the poor riffs end up hurting the other instruments in the long run

Also, put aside the fact that there isn't a sole instrumental track in this album, the next sentence is complete mess:
Quote:
The instrumentals on this album are terrible, and this album still has one of the worst instrumentals in Metallica's discography

Holy cow.

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:55 am 

...What the actual fuck?

> Avoid referring to reviews of other members

Not once in that review does he ever refer to any other reviews. St. Anger is an album that is frequently trashed by Metallica fans, and his opinion is not contrarian in the slightest. You're basing off this entire thing from one paragraph where he tries to rationalize why it is defended by strawmen and why their arguments are weak and pathetic.

> Incoherent sentences

Okay, the first one should be edited. The second one is grammatically correct and succeeds in describing the music - he's talking about how the shitty riffs hurt the entire experience.

> Instrumentals

The word "instrumentals" doesn't always mean the track has no vocals. That word can also refer to the actual playing of the instruments, as is the case here.

> Holy cow

Holy cow! One of the most deliberately contrarian reviewers on this site is attempting to push his fallacies onto another reviewer! Christ almighty, this is so predictable that this thread will soon be flooded with voice clips of Geese Howard on repeat! Oh, the humanity!

Why are you doing this?

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:58 am 

Gas_Snake wrote:
Why are you doing this?

Probably because he's upset that I didn't defend this album as a masterpiece :wanker:

But looking back at the review, there are some grammar errors that I could've fixed, but it isn't enough to make the review unreadable. Also, I never directly mentioned any other reviewers, so I don't know where he got that from. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Human666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:06 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Gas_Snake wrote:
Why are you doing this?

Probably because he's upset that I didn't defend this album as a masterpiece :wanker:

But looking back at the review, there are some grammar errors that I could've fixed, but it isn't enough to make the review unreadable. Also, I never directly mentioned any other reviewers, so I don't know where he got that from. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Believe it or not, I simply don't care if you like or hate this album, I'm gonna enjoy this album for years to come anyway.
My point is: if you wanna trash this album to feel like you belong to some kind of inner circle of true metalheads, be my guest, just don't use other people's reviews and exact sentences to base your whole holy crusade towards glorious metalhood.

Here's the rule your broke:
Quote:
Avoid referring to reviews of other members. ... writing a review contradictory to a previous one just out of spite, or to boost or lower the average rating, is not acceptable.

Interestingly enough that's exactly what you did, and even at the exact same day my review got posted (which really made me wonder how it was accepted in the first place).
Here are a few examples of how you did it:

My review's title:
Quote:
The most misunderstood album ever made

Yours:
Quote:
You're not misunderstood. You're just a bad album

A sentence from my review:
Quote:
What made me like this album so much, is that it's just 100% authentic.

A sentence from yours:
Quote:
The main defense I see for St. Anger is that...the album feel "authentic"

You've got a whole paragraph dedicated to my review, which begins with:
Quote:
But before I conclude my review, I gotta address those who defend this album

Besides the clear violation of that rule, here's a compilation of incoherent rants from your review that makes no sense at all:

Quote:
most tracks have the guitar riffs play they terrible riffs...
What makes this even worse is that the poor riffs end up hurting the other instruments in the long run...
The instrumentals on this album are terrible, and this album still has one of the worst instrumentals in Metallica's discography...

Plus you claimed that "there isn't even a bass guitar to establish a foundation" while it's well known that Bob Rock himself wrote and recorded the bass parts of the album (which are very audible btw) because they didn't have a permanent bass player.

To be honest I was really surprised that your review got accepted.
I hate doing it, bashing other people's reviews is not my ideal way of using my spare time, but St.Anger is an album with 30+ reviews by now, you repeated the same opinion of countless people before you and you basically used my review to base all your review's arguments AND title.

Again, I simply don't rely on other opinions to enjoy music, you can give St.Anger 0% as far as I'm concerned, but the timing of your review and direct references to my review's title and statements plus the array of incoherent sentences (how can guitar riffs play guitar riffs ffs :lol:) plus the factually incorrect statement that there is no bass in this album are very cringeworthy and screams "I must payback that guy who likes St.Anger and dare to write about it in a review!".

Whatever makes you feel better, champ.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:18 pm 

I sent Slater's review back to the abyss for now, missed his reference he did to human's review.

For the record, both your reviews were annoying and I'd sell a kidney to not read another St Anger review ever again. :tongue:

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:43 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I sent Slater's review back to the abyss for now, missed his reference he did to human's review.

For the record, both your reviews were annoying and I'd sell a kidney to not read another St Anger review ever again. :tongue:

Alright. I sent my review in the Feedback Workshop thread for some additional help, because my review definitely needs a rework.

Also, me and Human apologize for torturing you with some additional St. Anger reviews. Don't worry, I'll make sure I make my future Metallica reviews less cringy.

Human666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:58 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Also, me and Human apologize

I don't know why you think you have the authority to apologize on my behalf...but I guess that's enough internet for today.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:41 am 

Imagine seeing this kind of arguments over St. Anger in 2021 lol.

Though, for my money, as long as you have a controversial opinion and you write about it without implying that you're the only one knowing the truth and everybody else is a fool, I'm fine with it, even if I disagree.

It's the dawn of descending...

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:42 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/users/HawkMoon

I've read his My Dying Bride's and Therion's reviews and all 5 (edit: 6 rather) of them are really weak. Not sure if you have the time to go through the rest for some weeding out.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:13 pm 

Antioch wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/users/HawkMoon

I've read his My Dying Bride's and Therion's reviews and all 5 (edit: 6 rather) of them are really weak. Not sure if you have the time to go through the rest for some weeding out.

In my opinion, all of HawkMoon's reviews are useless dreck. I understand that the guy was active back in the day when this site was still new and the review standards were different, but even when you compare them to Ultraboris' largely short and often scatterbrained writing, it's just uninformative and uninteresting crap.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Sean16
Moody Tabulator of Torn Hymens

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:22 am 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
Imagine seeing this kind of arguments over St. Anger in 2021 lol.

Exactly. And that's precisely, what makes St. Anger so fascinating. It's not the only awful album ever released by a famous band (unfortunately...), but, almost 20 years after it came out, it has long become the epitome of the Bad - a timeless classic in its own genre, if you want. If there was still another St. Anger review to be written, it would be the only phenomenon worth discussing, in fact. Maybe it's been already done. Haven't bothered reading a St. Anger review for some 10 years, now.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:53 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 05/1010780

Lmao the edge on this thing

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:22 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... nd99/19876

Way too brief and hardly descriptive

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:06 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ym/1062891

Very little actual description of the music. The review is mostly focused on the facts surrounding the creation of the album instead of the result.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236 ... 239  Next