Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Baletempest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:02 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Ulver/Flowers_of_Evil/853749/Avestriel/65857
Lets deconstruct this: paragraphs 1-4 are about the history of the band in language so pretentious that would be at home in early 2000's Pitchfork reviews, paragraph 5 is a review of the music itself (which I'll dissect in more detail in a moment) while paragraph 6 is just "Garm's lyrics suck" drawn out for 200 words and it ends with "Ulver are artistically dead".

The thing is the review of the music itself is just shit - it's someone naming random things trying to make out that they’re knowledgeable but they really aren't and as someone who actually does like a lot of synthpop, darkwave and related genres, it's really obvious. First off this isn't a retread of The Assassination of Julius Ceaser (the authours main supposed sin of the album), which sounded like earlier Depeche Mode/Gary Numan before they were commercially successful (seriously listen to Black Celebration then listen to Violator). Secondly, this person has never heard a VNV or Covenant album in their lives if they think this sounds like either of those bands or futurepop in general (there's no trance or industrial elements on Flowers of Evil for starters). Heck, those two named bands haven't sounded even close to each other since 2002 and even then listen to Northern Lights and listen to Futureperfect then tell me they didn't have distinct sounds. Then they say there's lo-fi elements comparable to vapourwave and Witch House. I hate vapourwave and there isn't a trace of that here. I love Witch House and there's also no trace of that here either. Lastly there's the gem of the songs having ABBA song structures... you heard it here folks ABBA invented the standard verse-chorus-bridge-verse-chorus structure...

It does have a shit tonne of Prog and Art rock elements as well as lo-fi ambient influences that are never brought up though... The paragraph on lyrics also draws out a tortured "I know who Current 93 are" point, apparently oblivious to the fact that Christian themes have been on Ulver albums since... 1998 (because William Blake and all that).

I'm not going to pretend that I know the rules for reviews these days but I still read plenty of reviews here and I am amazed that this was accepted. So much of it is fat and the meat there is is just wrong. It's fine if you don't like it, heck the review beneath it isn't exactly glowing but at least it talks about the music and why they feel it's bland, rather than just hide behind "its fine, name drop name drop name drop".

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:41 pm 

Baletempest wrote:
the gem of the songs having ABBA song structures

I don't know the album but I'd say it would be a pretty huge typo for a review so attentive to language, so I'd think he refers to ABAB as a rhyming pattern. Regardless of that, I strongly doubt it has potential to be removed, but who knows.

Speaking of which, I'd like to bump my latest comment:

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/user-rev ... ors_Of_Ice - this old user's 4 reviews are very short and, despite some actual (but vague) musical description, loaded with typos and missing too many commas.

I know assessing old reviews isn't really a priority of the mods, but I honestly can't think of any universe where they could be accepted nowadays, the best thing going for them being the fact that they're all for virgin releases iirc. A teaser (his most recent one):

Spoiler: show
Avalon probally better known for being a rare lp in the collectors realm then a great album but it's time for people to relize the greatness of this record. Never even hearing of this band untill I was browsing vibrations of doom one day, im sure glad it caught my attention. ok, the album starts off with a pretty creepy intro as most albums of the time did. Next up "Dancer in the Eye of the Storm'' rips along with a pretty light melodic guitar sound, but don't be fooled, this is very catchy metal. Sounding like the great bands of the 80's (Scorpions, Accept, etc.) Next up "Hard Loving Man'' starts off slow as a ballad type number but suddenly breaks into the best written melodic metal I think I ever heard. Very, very commercial sounds but thats not one bit bad. The singer has a very soothing David Coverdale type voice and fits the music very well. One complain is that the album does have some fillers of instrumental stuff (well written though) so thats what brought my score down to the 90! After the short song, comes "Perfect Illusions"'. Probaly the best on the album it is just that. PERFECT! Mixing strong melody's and great vocals once again this song is absolutely fantastic, And as mention the last song on the album closes with a very soothing instrumental, which is a great way to end a perfect album. Avalon definetaly shouldn't be missed whether your a vinyl collector or not. I wish they had more material then this loved lp but im glad to just have this. Great stuff indeed!

It's the dawn of descending...

Baletempest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:36 pm 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
Baletempest wrote:
the gem of the songs having ABBA song structures

I don't know the album but I'd say it would be a pretty huge typo for a review so attentive to language, so I'd think he refers to ABAB as a rhyming pattern. Regardless of that, I strongly doubt it has potential to be removed, but who knows.

Urgh, yet again I find my lysdexia tripping me over (despite my double checking...). You are correct.

Regardless, I stand by my critique: the review is very poor, extremely pretentious and not a valid critique of the album.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:51 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ror/38581/

Review doesn't exactly say much.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:21 pm 

And another brief one from the old days;

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ge/220152/

EDIT: Seems like all his reviews consist of this ''the guitars this, the vocals that'' formula. The other ones might be worth checking too.

https://www.metal-archives.com/user-reviews/chongbong

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:07 pm 

Old Tad Morose review that's probably not needed anymore; https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... vixen/5804

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:18 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... tie/348473

This review for Unto Others' I Believe in Halloween only consists of two short paragraphs and reads like a review from the early years of the millennium. The songs are barely described as generic adjectives such as ''monotone'' and ''boring'' are used that give readers no idea whatsoever what the music actually sounds like.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... rad/246757

This review here is a total cringefest. The author describes that the music on here is better than on The King of Pain, a record the reviewer gave forty percent. The review then goes on a lengthy ideological rant, ironically complaining about the apparentely political lyrics on this output. The reviewer accuses the band to be close to far-right ideologies, even though there is little to no evidence for this in the lyrics. The reviewer explains this by claiming that only expats like him and a few nerds understand the band's hidden hints in the cowardly lyrics. One entire paragraph is dedicated to the greatness of Ronnie James Dio and how he surely wouldn't have liked the band's tribute to him. That whole rant is misguided political propaganda that attempts to give the band a bad name but it certainly isn't a review of a music album.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:17 am 

kluseba wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Unto_Others/I_Believe_in_Halloween/987488/Sweetie/348473

This review for Unto Others' I Believe in Halloween only consists of two short paragraphs and reads like a review from the early years of the millennium. The songs are barely described as generic adjectives such as ''monotone'' and ''boring'' are used that give readers no idea whatsoever what the music actually sounds like.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... rad/246757

This review here is a total cringefest. The author describes that the music on here is better than on The King of Pain, a record the reviewer gave forty percent. The review then goes on a lengthy ideological rant, ironically complaining about the apparentely political lyrics on this output. The reviewer accuses the band to be close to far-right ideologies, even though there is little to no evidence for this in the lyrics. The reviewer explains this by claiming that only expats like him and a few nerds understand the band's hidden hints in the cowardly lyrics. One entire paragraph is dedicated to the greatness of Ronnie James Dio and how he surely wouldn't have liked the band's tribute to him. That whole rant is misguided political propaganda that attempts to give the band a bad name but it certainly isn't a review of a music album.

- The first review is only two paragraphs long because the release in question only contains two songs that barely broach three and a half minutes each. There's only so much to say on singles and exceptionally short releases like that. Maybe it could stand to be a bit more descriptive but I don't find it to be a problem here since it's a weird novelty release from an established band so it stands to reason most people who are reading probably already have an idea of what Unto Others sounds like. I wouldn't let it fly on an obscure band or anything but this one seems like a non-problem.

- The second review is pretty explicit in basing itself on the lyrics and how repulsive/cowardly they are, which is totally fine. Maybe there'd be a discussion to be had about some record exclusively based on I dunno LotR or something and one of the members happens to hold sketchy political views totally outside the context of the band or something, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. It sounds like it carries a pretty blunt political message and it's 1000% fair to critique that. That is part of the total package (and he puts in the legwork to analyze the instrumental component earlier in the review anyway) so there's nothing that deserves to be canned here.

- I can't help but notice that both of these reviews just so happen to be negative reviews for releases with only two total reviews, and in both cases the other review is a positive one from you. So I'm gonna say tough titty, they're staying.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:37 am 

No problem at all, thanks for the quick feedback!

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:25 pm 

I rarely bring up reviews in this thread as I usually don't care, but seriously how on Earth did THIS review get accepted? This is worse than the excessive rants on MetalSucks.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ss/1416300

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:29 pm 

Any time I read "why do people like x so much?" I just tune it out.

Maiden's new stuff really makes people deranged I guess.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:37 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
I rarely bring up reviews in this thread as I usually don't care, but seriously how on Earth did THIS review get accepted? This is worse than the excessive rants on MetalSucks.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ss/1416300

I read through it a couple times, and at no point does the review describe the music on the album. It just goes off on one big tangent about how the band apparently hasn't been original for over 3 decades.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:35 pm 

Musical description is hardly there, I agree about that. If anyone of you actually got through checking his bio, it all checks out. It's like the guy is still stuck in the mid-00s. Above the general cringe, there's the good ol' '22 morons running after a ball' criticism to soccer (hey look at me, I hate soccer, worship me I'm so smart) and a fantastic Top 10 VERY Overrated Albums:

Somewhere In Time, Powerslave, Ride The Lightning, Rust In Peace, Peace Sells, Reign In Blood, Darkness Descends, Eternal Nightmare, Under The Sign of The Black Mark, Left Hand Path.

I mean, just write 'I actually don't like metal very much, after all' and just be done with it :scratch:

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:43 am 

We don't want fascist promotion here. The third paragraph of this review is extremely cringe.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... lt/395098/

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:41 pm 

What the fuck? I'm laughing at it because I can't understand how this made it through the filter.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:04 pm 

Tossed.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:11 pm 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
Musical description is hardly there, I agree about that. If anyone of you actually got through checking his bio, it all checks out. It's like the guy is still stuck in the mid-00s. Above the general cringe, there's the good ol' '22 morons running after a ball' criticism to soccer (hey look at me, I hate soccer, worship me I'm so smart) and a fantastic Top 10 VERY Overrated Albums:

Somewhere In Time, Powerslave, Ride The Lightning, Rust In Peace, Peace Sells, Reign In Blood, Darkness Descends, Eternal Nightmare, Under The Sign of The Black Mark, Left Hand Path.

I mean, just write 'I actually don't like metal very much, after all' and just be done with it :scratch:

Don't forget "Anime is God." Hoo boy. Bad doggo. Bad, BAD doggo. :annoyed:

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:04 am 

Ooh yeah, how could I? But the whole thing is mindblowing after all. The genesis of his username is one of the most poser things I can imagine - coming from such a wannabe-true metalhead, it's almost poetic. He gives me huge Comic Book Guy vibes, but it doesn't feel nearly as funny as The Simpsons made it to be.

That being said, I might be a masochist but I'm really curious to see something more from him. Either here or in the Crappy Diem thread :lol:

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:36 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... side/80820

Some cringe NSBM praise about how its good because it's hateful.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:55 pm 

Came across this: https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... Skyklad/96

Very bare bones, formatting issues, and I can't deny I chuckled at this reviewer referring to Omen's JD Kimball as 'J. D. Campbell'. Feels like it probably oughta be nuked.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:05 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... wood/19596

Quote:
Despite the fact that France now looks more and more like a multi-race rubbish heap there are still people out there in whom the Aryan spirit is still alive and who find the power to resist inspite of the pressure from ZOG (take for instance the sad story of KRISTALLNACHT).

:puke:

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:49 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... her/295240

Review author name: cgsather
Band member: Cam Sather

And the user has no other modification history other than the review and adding the musician in question and another guy.

Coincidence?

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:22 pm 

Dembo wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Mur/Heartworn/586111/cgsather/295240

Review author name: cgsather
Band member: Cam Sather

And the user has no other modification history other than the review and adding the musician in question and another guy.

Coincidence?

Looks like the review was deleted, but I thought MA allowed artists to review their own music, that it was only frowned upon but not banned or anything?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:47 am 

We do to an extent. You can review your own work, so long as you disclose that you are the artist in the review and make it clear whether you contributed to the album. We will scrutinize these reviews a bit more than others, especially if they're a glowing review for a newly released album or for another album in advance of an upcoming album (as was the situation in this case). This one was definitely accepted in error.

Generally, though, it's in poor taste to review your own band. Sometimes these reviews can be interesting from a behind-the-scenes way, as is the case with some of these reviews on MA, but if it's obvious it's just there to promote one's own work... nah... fuck that.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:23 pm 

Derigin wrote:
We do to an extent. You can review your own work, so long as you disclose that you are the artist in the review and make it clear whether you contributed to the album. We will scrutinize these reviews a bit more than others, especially if they're a glowing review for a newly released album or for another album in advance of an upcoming album (as was the situation in this case). This one was definitely accepted in error.

Generally, though, it's in poor taste to review your own band. Sometimes these reviews can be interesting from a behind-the-scenes way, as is the case with some of these reviews on MA, but if it's obvious it's just there to promote one's own work... nah... fuck that.

Thanks for clarification.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:40 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... erott/9872

Super brief and hardly descriptive.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:03 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... on/928356/

super short and doesn't describe the music in any way. Spends a paragraph on the vocals, yet the reader has no idea what they even sound like.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:24 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... rrant/6047

Title and score don't match and it reads like a brief review UltraBoris would have written back in his day.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:08 am 

Another super brief one: https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... hocles/123

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:53 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... teizen/975

This review is terrible. Track-by-track that's survived since 2004 despite being full of expletives and short on valuable criticism. You honestly don't get a very good idea of what the album or songs sound like other than "shit" and "shitty".
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:22 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... G06/953525

This one confused me quite a bit. Guy calls the demo raw and powerful, yet gives it a 57% only.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:04 pm 

colin040 wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Sarc%C3%B3fago/The_Black_Vomit/6461/DanielG06/953525

This one confused me quite a bit. Guy calls the demo raw and powerful, yet gives it a 57% only.

The second half of the review lists the negatives of the release (poor production, underdeveloped songwriting) that would warrant that score. The impression I got from the reviewer is it's raw and powerful but it's missing something more.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:24 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... Devil/9648

Hardly descriptive

Kennermahn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:24 pm 

Hello
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... Anchor6371

There's a lot of talk about UltraBoris' 0% Master of Puppets review but his review of Angel Dust is truly disastrous, it's a track by track review where he implies that this 1993 album was influenced by "mallcore", whose first recognized record is from 1994:

Quote:
Well, if you actually ENJOYED that period of your life, then this is the album for you. But, for the rest of us, this is just complete alternative tripe that (though certain metal goddesses may deny this) has a whole fuckload of mallcore influence.

Apparently they wanted to sound like nu-metal:

Quote:
Jizzlobber - we get one basic keyboard line that drives the entire song, and then a random guitar riff that just kinda manages to sit off to the side and not be the focal point of the song. Throw in an annoying drum pattern, and of course Patton's completely mallcore vocal delivery. Assrape, assrape!! Or is it "I'm ready to make a commitment" - he sounds completely under the influence of self-torture, especially in the anal direction. The extra levels of distortion on the vocals don't help at all... so maybe the rest of the band was trying to put together something solid and non-swinelike, but Patton then pretty much comes in and says "GUYS, WE ARE GOING TO BE MALLCORE" and ya know what, since the vocals are so prominent in the mix, I'm just going to have to believe him.

Also the term "mallcore" is cringe.

Thanks

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:35 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... eiha/25005

The user has a lot of short reviews but this one is really too generic to form a decent impression of the album in my opinion.

...and, ahem, trying for the last time with this: https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... _Ice/24874

Nothing against him of course but all his 4 writings have plenty of typos, missing puntuation and stuff, short length besides.

~Guest 1392546
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:35 pm 

I think this review is very much cringeworthy. He's not criticizing the album itself, but attacking the artist for not being "cvlt" enough. He even claims it's a decent pop album, which is what she was going for; however because it's not metal and he's on Encyclopedia Metallum, he is giving it a shitty score. Really shouldn't be on here, whatever your opinions on the artist are (I happen to dislike her metal, but this one is pretty good).

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... an/1320055

Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:50 pm 

Just a question, one of my reviews has been removed. It must be one of those I wrote before March 2018. Maybe an admin can tell me something about this. Thanks in advance!

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:13 pm 

wcnmvp's review for Scarred for Life is fine, but he starts off the paragraph with the following:

wcnmvp wrote:
Before I begin, I want to state that the fact that this album (at the time of writing) has only 2 reviews with an average of 69% is completely baffling to me. Did those people hear this album? Now that that's out of the way, I'll be more serious.

The rules of writing a review clearly state you can't mention other reviews/reviewers, especially in a manner that wcnmvp did, and I don't think it fits in the grand scheme of things. I'd recommend giving it back to him so he can remove that paragraph.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:48 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
wcnmvp's review for Scarred for Life is fine, but he starts off the paragraph with the following:

wcnmvp wrote:
Before I begin, I want to state that the fact that this album (at the time of writing) has only 2 reviews with an average of 69% is completely baffling to me. Did those people hear this album? Now that that's out of the way, I'll be more serious.

The rules of writing a review clearly state you can't mention other reviews/reviewers, especially in a manner that wcnmvp did, and I don't think it fits in the grand scheme of things. I'd recommend giving it back to him so he can remove that paragraph.

Disagree. He does not quote any other reviewers or bring up their points, he merely uses that paragraph to discuss what consensus the reviews up to this point had reached. I'm not a mod and my opinion has no weight, but that's just my two cents.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

FontaL
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:28 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 123/101682

By far the worst Powerslave review, track-by-track and full of misspellings. Reviews before this one are better. If a generous mod feels it should stay, he could correct the spelling errors or delete it instead, or forward the draft to the user for editing.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239  Next