Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:02 am 

It’s an awful review, but I think he does just enough in that paragraph where he lists comparable bands for it to be acceptable. Do not think of it as actually “acceptable” though, just in the sense that it follows the site rules.

putrevomitory
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:46 am 

Some time back when I was fresh, I submitted stuff as short as this and as less descriptive as this too. Does this review really hold up?

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ma/170234/
tyrexya - metal beamin' raps, & then some
i draw logos

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:52 pm 

Is this worth keeping? Out of the seven sentences, only about 2,5 'discuss' the music while the rest are dedicated to either the label and its releases or the lyrical theme.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:00 am 

putrevomitory wrote:
Some time back when I was fresh, I submitted stuff as short as this and as less descriptive as this too. Does this review really hold up?

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ma/170234/

Actually, I think the description is not too bad, it's just a hugely boring review. We learn what kind of music it is, how the different instruments sound, and a little background. It's scant on detail and shouldn't have genre names capitalized, but it's not awful. Probably good enough.

Duisterling wrote:
Is this worth keeping? Out of the seven sentences, only about 2,5 'discuss' the music while the rest are dedicated to either the label and its releases or the lyrical theme.

Seems like a worthless review, which doesn't talk about the music almost at all. I'm not even sure what genre the band play on that album. Needs to go, I think.

It would be really ace if a mod could let people know when a review had been taken down and for what reasons. It's a valuable opportunity to learn something about the standards. I'm personally still waiting for clarification on these:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... all/216687
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 999/580297

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:11 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Duisterling wrote:

Seems like a worthless review, which doesn't talk about the music almost at all. I'm not even sure what genre the band play on that album. Needs to go, I think.

Very good point. That alone should be worth a nuke. I once had a review rejected simply because the genre remained unclear throughout the text and rightly so. Should be a fundamental aspect of a review. (I got it accepted later simply by adding a few lines to make the genre clear but removed it myself years ago. All reviews I ever wrote were mediocre at best.)

Lolpah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:39 am 

This one features almost no musical description, aside from apparently being "groove/thrash" and featuring audible cymbals. It's also pretty badly written in general.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Pantera/Reinventing_Hell/32158/BlackenedSally/379681

Napalm_Satan
One-Trick Pony

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:13 am 

A badly written, semi-coherent track-by-track with not much description.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:56 am 

Lolpah wrote:
This one features almost no musical description, aside from apparently being "groove/thrash" and featuring audible cymbals. It's also pretty badly written in general.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Pantera/Reinventing_Hell/32158/BlackenedSally/379681

For compilations especially, we've seen worse.

Napalm_Satan wrote:
A badly written, semi-coherent track-by-track with not much description.

The review is nearly as bad as the album by the sounds of it... :durr:

Vadara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:38 pm 

Duisterling wrote:

How are the themes of the lyrics not part of the music?

The review is way too short, but metalheads often have this bizarre idea that lyrics are something ancillary and "bolted on" to the music and not actually a part of the "music" and I do not understand it.

meshigene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:34 pm 

Duisterling wrote:

I could deduce as much - and even more - about the music and the lyrics just from looking at the album title and the cover and reading that it's black metal. Don't see why that review would be worth keeping.
Vadara wrote:
How are the themes of the lyrics not part of the music?

The review is way too short, but metalheads often have this bizarre idea that lyrics are something ancillary and "bolted on" to the music and not actually a part of the "music" and I do not understand it.

Haven't seen much of that mindset. But I think it's safe to say that we likely just don't care much most of the time what the lyrics are telling us, the story of a headless baby zombie pimp that uses his umbilical cord to eat decomposed ass and snort powdered golden penis bones while playing avant-garde epic progressive atmospheric melodic depressive funeral pre-proto-post-power/grungecore at the same time, or a completely precise outlook of what the future will be like if we all keep doing what we're doing and how to change it so the world instantly becomes perfect with Roosevelt Franklin as the first and only Eternal President of the Multiunicornverse and all that shit or something. We often don't even read the lyrics to our metal unless we become interested in them for some reason. Especially if it's extreme metal - like, Nile may offer a nice change from the common death metal themes of gore, violence and Satan, but if I don't like their music, the lyrics won't make me like it any more, especially since I don't understand a word of them.

And if you like lyrics, try listening to this when you've got some free time, or when you've got none, so long as it's right now. All the way through, no other way, else it's not trve kvlt.
Youtube: show

Most of them are doing it to 'Left Hand Path' with the right hand (which is wrong).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:40 pm 

If lyrics didn't matter to a band they'd all just put out a bunch of gibberish. Not every band has lyrics worth talking about too much, but occasionally some of them do. I never got why that was so hard to comprehend, that occasionally there were some bands that had lyrics actually worth reading and mentioning.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:03 pm 

That's a pretty barebones review, but it's *probably* OK.

As for lyrics. It's perfectly fine writing about the lyrics, but there is a careful line between being relevant and not. It's easy to wax poetic about the context or background of some lyrical subject matter than to focus on the album and what it was trying to convey. That's an easy hole to get caught in, and one which unfortunately tends to derail reviews. That's something to be cognizant and aware of when writing reviews in such a way.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227