Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheMeh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:01 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Ghost/Seven_Inches_of_Satanic_Panic/797386/TheMeh/339203
Barely any musical description in this one.

I think a part of me is kind of offended that I try to add some actual help onto this post, and you go out of your way (like you have to others so far) about how bad my reviews are just because I tried to assist.

Yeah, I get that there’s some issues with my review (albeit being four paragraphs for seven minutes of garbage) - still trying to perfect my craft here. Not that Ghost is music anymore, but... regardless to the facts. I’m still working on getting better at writing reviews and consolidating my opinions.

Added, sometimes the issues with an album transcend just its baseline music and sound. Topical discussion, inference to the contents of its lyrics and general laughable cringe in its title (among other areas), to some degree, is still a review. I agree that my method on that review isn’t perfect or particularly good, but, again, I’m just trying to write these things for fun and perfect my craft while writing them. I personally believe it’s substantial enough to be a review. Call me an asshole if you wish.

Next time, though, at least respect that there are people around here trying to clean up the less redeemable reviews and are also trying to substantiate said site with more quality reviews. I think I’d appreciate it a lot more.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:19 pm 

Don’t worry man, no one’s calling you an asshole for leaving out musical description. Diamonds could have been more tactful about how (i.e. where and when) he brought up that issue, but it does seem like a relevant point. That review has been accepted, so a mod obviously thought there was enough value to publish on the site. As a music fan, however, I prefer to have the context explained about bands I don’t know well. Just try to back up your points a bit more substantially and it will be fine.

TheMeh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:43 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Don’t worry man, no one’s calling you an asshole for leaving out musical description. Diamonds could have been more tactful about how (i.e. where and when) he brought up that issue, but it does seem like a relevant point. That review has been accepted, so a mod obviously thought there was enough value to publish on the site. As a music fan, however, I prefer to have the context explained about bands I don’t know well. Just try to back up your points a bit more substantially and it will be fine.

I get what you mean. I’ll definitely make sure to be doing that a bit more often. I confess, sometimes keeping good focus on some of the releases here hasn’t been a consistently easy task - so I do appreciate the feedback on this kind of stuff. Hopefully I can be better for it.

Tanuki
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:40 am 

Just stumbled on this. "not bad but just sound way too similar from soug to song"

Basically an Amazon review. "...sounds like what In Flames could do if they were a little better" is the only specific musical description, and even then, which album?

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:47 am 

Ah yeah demonomania is a classic recurring offender from the times the site mods (completely different group of people from now) accepted pretty much everything.

Tanuki
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:21 am 

droneriot wrote:
Ah yeah demonomania is a classic recurring offender from the times the site mods (completely different group of people from now) accepted pretty much everything.

Ugh, that explains it. Man, 2005 were dark times. His Wages of Sin review is terrible too. It's got some musical description at least, but on the other hand, "Gaythenburg".

TheMeh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:15 pm 

Not sure if this review on Devin Townsend's 'The Hummer' ( https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... n91/139616 ) really explains anything. It broadly implies there's some kind of message, some kind of concept, but it doesn't really touch on the subject of the actual music or anything of the like at all.

I get if it's an allowed review, but it definitely reads as a strange one, to me.

Petrus_Steele
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:00 pm 

This review has me boggled:

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... Cat/374916

Just by reading the first sentence: if you're saying you won't spend a lot of time on the review but then say it's a waste of time, why have it in the first place? With all the harsh criticism and the very low-rated individual reviews towards any album on the site, I'm under the impression the purpose was to put them out there and not claim them to be so much but a waste of time because otherwise, it defeats the purpose. Wouldn't you say so?

That being said, I don't think he talked about the musical aspect of the album enough. He mostly talked about or criticized the drums and referenced one or two metaphors regarding the instrument.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:05 am 

More of a recommendation than a review:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/M ... eim/250387
Spoiler: show
On one hand, I'm surprised that no-one has reviewed In Absentia Christi yet, given the Euronymous connection as well as being released on the sadly defunct Misanthropy label, which was the home for all things creative and/or avant-garde metallically speaking in the 90's. On the other hand trying to describe this album is no easy task at all, so maybe thats why there isn't any reviews?

Well, this isn't really a review as I cannot put the atmospheric godliness of this album into words, so lets call it a Monumentum awareness blurb. This is one mysterious and obscure gem that would be at home in any dark music lovers collection. It sounds almost like Celtic Frost released Into the Pandemonium in 1991 after listening to both Fields of the Nephilim's Elizium album and Dead Can Dance. Kind of.

Call it avant/goth/world/metal I guess, but if you want to hear something completely different and beautifully dark, get a hold of this at all costs.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 224, 225, 226, 227, 228