Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:07 am
Posts: 45
Location: Russia
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:14 pm 
 

What... in the hell... is this?
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... lla/411917

Don't the guidelines explicitly state to not write a single paragraph review?

EDIT: He edited the thing and now I guess it's passable. Forget I said anything.


Last edited by Gas_Snake on Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Oblarg
Veteran

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:59 pm
Posts: 2836
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:41 pm 
 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ace/248007

What the everloving fuck is this? It doesn't give any indication of what the album sounds like, it's rife with typographical errors, and the last paragraph is hilariously puerile:

Quote:
Metal Archives wanted more when it came to my original draft, that was a gift. I was able to deconstruct this album from beginning to end. The Rating went from 82 to 85%. Really there is nothing else that can be said about this album except if you like talent then this albums is for you. I caught that Rock. Frank THE MORBID ONE The Metal Authority Family
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
manowar are literally five times the band that fates warning are: each member is as good as fates warning alone, then joey's bass solos are like an entire extra fates warning

Top
 Profile  
Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:27 pm
Posts: 3609
Location: London, England, United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:22 am 
 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ert/101472

Though what he's written here is fine - what's not fine is that the review itself is fundamentally incomplete as he only addresses one side of the split. morbert is around still so he could just add some more to the review to address the other side, but this isn't worthy of being on the site in its current state, I think.
_________________
Review Lads!

Top
 Profile  
Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:19 am
Posts: 2111
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:58 am 
 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... wolf/13777

Old track by track and overall embarassing review

Top
 Profile  
Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:07 am
Posts: 45
Location: Russia
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:11 pm 
 

Gas_Snake wrote:
Here's some old sucky reviews for Dream Theater's Awake which should be removed:

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... Knight/390
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... d34th/2971
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ldier/3050
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... oses/34325
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... fear/27948
These are all track-by-track reviews. The first three are sorely lacking in musical description. The first one is full of terrible grammatical errors, and the second one constantly stumbles over itself with the whole "I don't know why I like it, I just do" sentiment. The third one goes the extra mile with rating each song individually and should be instantly axed.
The last two describe the music quite well, the problem is that both reviewers devote an entire long-ass paragraph to each individual track.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ooter/5599
This is like an even further extrapolation of the last two. His description of the actual music is amazingly detailed, but it follows the same track-by-track format with devoting entire long paragraphs to nearly each individual song (and one of them, for some reason, gets TWO entire paragraphs all to itself). I know that a lot of his reviews are great and very descriptive without being bloated, but he clearly overshot it with this one.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 1/OJ16/601
Not enough musical description.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... nted666/73
Terrible grammar and formatting, practically unreadable.


Bumping this, as it has been over a month since anyone responded and nothing has been done since then. They're still up and they still suck.

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 10159
Location: St. Charles, Illinois
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:16 pm 
 

I'll take a look at those after work, but I want to comment on how amazing it is that that album somehow has thirteen surviving reviews from the early era and then only four since 2005, in 2011, 2012, 2018, and 2019. That's a super bizarre trajectory, and it's not like Dream Theater isn't consistently relevant so it's wild that they managed so many reviews early and so few in the 15 years since.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Pantera - Reinventing the Steel
The Outer RIM - Uatism: The dogs bark in street slang

Top
 Profile  
Sweetie
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:19 am
Posts: 966
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:04 am 
 

BastardHead wrote:
it's wild that they managed so many reviews early and so few in the 15 years since.


That's how I feel about Still Not Black Enough by W.A.S.P. I just wish the recent ones didn't irk me :D
_________________
"It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

Top
 Profile  
colin040
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:00 pm
Posts: 6209
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:53 pm 
 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 2000/38110

Why did this one get accepted? I know what the album sounds like yet if I were new to this album reading this review wouldn't help me at all. Reviewer mentions some great Fates Warning tracks, yet doesn't describe what makes them great. Same with the lyrics; person praises them, yet doesn't give examples of what he finds to be the most powerful lines.

Top
 Profile  
MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 12:12 am
Posts: 3544
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:08 pm 
 

colin040 wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Fates_Warning/Parallels/3413/Starkweather222000/38110

Why did this one get accepted? I know what the album sounds like yet if I were new to this album reading this review wouldn't help me at all. Reviewer mentions some great Fates Warning tracks, yet doesn't describe what makes them great. Same with the lyrics; person praises them, yet doesn't give examples of what he finds to be the most powerful lines.

Agreed, removed.
_________________
Korpgud wrote:
Imagine Texas Chainsaw Massacre but without any suspense, only constant chainsawing.

Top
 Profile  
Antioch
Metalhead

Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:08 am
Posts: 1452
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:47 pm 
 

Not much going on here:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... y777/87741
Spoiler: show
On this, their second full-length CD, Agathodaimon have crafted a fine album that mixes plenty of melody, classic metal, black metal and gothic elements. To those of us who have delved deeply into the darkest depths of black metal, this German outfit would seem fairly safe and commercial. After being brutalized by such bands as Darkthrone and Kraft, Agathodaimon are a welcome relief and are brutal enough to satisfy my metal bloodlust.

With a run time of almost 75 minutes (this rerelease has some remixed extras), they might have been able to trim a bit of fat but there isn't a duff song on here. "Higher Art of Rebellion" is full of meaty riffs, fine caustic and clean vocals and some great keyboard work. With vague similarities to contemporaries like Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth, Agathodaimon created a worthy entry into the gothic european black metal world.
_________________
❝I ᴡɪʟʟ sʜᴏᴡ ʏᴏᴜ ғᴇᴀʀ ɪɴ ᴀ ʜᴀɴᴅғᴜʟ ᴏғ ᴅᴜsᴛ.❞
Iᴛᴇᴍs ғᴏʀ sᴀʟᴇ ɪɴ ᴄᴀsᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ᴀʀᴇ ɪɴᴛᴇʀᴇsᴛᴇᴅ.

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 2151
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:31 pm 
 

To be completely honest I wasn't sure if I should post this but I came across this Nile review that has some inappropriate stuff. Then I saw it was by MutantClannfear but he seems a reasonable person so here it goes.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ear/229331

I'm sorry but I don't think this stuff belongs in a serious review: "lyrics written by a mentally retarded third-grader", "pile of festering wolf shit", "the solos are boring, and basically consist of more wanking than you'll find in the college dorm of a dozen single virgins", "sucks green gangrenous goat gonads... avoid as if it were a Linkin Park record", etc. I feel a bit of editing would be cool. I get it, it was written 10 years ago and people change. No animosity on my part. I think it's cool that you didn't like the album and some parts of the review should stay but other parts have aged poorly in my opinion.

Spoiler: show
Also, please don't ban me.

Top
 Profile  
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Posts: 11931
Location: Montréal
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:33 pm 
 

Eh this was written when he was like 14-15 (some people like Caspian have the same style at like 35 though) so I'm sure he can edit it to make it less immature.
_________________
Derigin wrote:
You look like you lift. Nice.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Top
 Profile  
Slater922
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:24 pm
Posts: 420
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:34 pm 
 

A bit late for this, but the first S&M 2 review came out.

I can agree with the user because while some of the remixes sound okay, the rest sound off and probably shouldn't have been remade in a symphony format.
_________________
FLORIDIAN DEATH METAL AND NORWEGIAN BLACK METAL IS KING

Check out my reviews

Top
 Profile  
MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 12:12 am
Posts: 3544
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:50 pm 
 

Gravetemplar wrote:
To be completely honest I wasn't sure if I should post this but I came across this Nile review that has some inappropriate stuff. Then I saw it was by MutantClannfear but he seems a reasonable person so here it goes.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ear/229331

I'm sorry but I don't think this stuff belongs in a serious review: "lyrics written by a mentally retarded third-grader", "pile of festering wolf shit", "the solos are boring, and basically consist of more wanking than you'll find in the college dorm of a dozen single virgins", "sucks green gangrenous goat gonads... avoid as if it were a Linkin Park record", etc. I feel a bit of editing would be cool. I get it, it was written 10 years ago and people change. No animosity on my part. I think it's cool that you didn't like the album and some parts of the review should stay but other parts have aged poorly in my opinion.

Spoiler: show
Also, please don't ban me.

I edited out some of the stupider lines and decided to leave the review up. For the record, these aren't typically things we would consider deleting a review over (except for perhaps the use of the word "retarded"). Our policy is generally that if you describe the music sufficiently well for a reader, and your review is formatted professionally, it doesn't matter what sort of stupid shit you write in the process of description. Please do feel free to bring up my old reviews (or anybody else's) if they contain offensive language (meaning slurs), but as for the other stuff, I think most mods today would still be fine accepting a review that claims that an album "sucks green gangrenous goat gonads".
Slater922 wrote:
A bit late for this, but the first S&M 2 review came out.

I can agree with the user because while some of the remixes sound okay, the rest sound off and probably shouldn't have been remade in a symphony format.

I think you're in the wrong thread.
_________________
Korpgud wrote:
Imagine Texas Chainsaw Massacre but without any suspense, only constant chainsawing.

Top
 Profile  
Slater922
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:24 pm
Posts: 420
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:23 pm 
 

Slater922 wrote:
A bit late for this, but the first S&M 2 review came out.

I can agree with the user because while some of the remixes sound okay, the rest sound off and probably shouldn't have been remade in a symphony format.

I think you're in the wrong thread.[/quote]
Sorry about that. Somehow confused this with the review discussion.
_________________
FLORIDIAN DEATH METAL AND NORWEGIAN BLACK METAL IS KING

Check out my reviews

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 2151
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:27 am 
 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
To be completely honest I wasn't sure if I should post this but I came across this Nile review that has some inappropriate stuff. Then I saw it was by MutantClannfear but he seems a reasonable person so here it goes.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ear/229331

I'm sorry but I don't think this stuff belongs in a serious review: "lyrics written by a mentally retarded third-grader", "pile of festering wolf shit", "the solos are boring, and basically consist of more wanking than you'll find in the college dorm of a dozen single virgins", "sucks green gangrenous goat gonads... avoid as if it were a Linkin Park record", etc. I feel a bit of editing would be cool. I get it, it was written 10 years ago and people change. No animosity on my part. I think it's cool that you didn't like the album and some parts of the review should stay but other parts have aged poorly in my opinion.

Spoiler: show
Also, please don't ban me.

I edited out some of the stupider lines and decided to leave the review up. For the record, these aren't typically things we would consider deleting a review over (except for perhaps the use of the word "retarded"). Our policy is generally that if you describe the music sufficiently well for a reader, and your review is formatted professionally, it doesn't matter what sort of stupid shit you write in the process of description. Please do feel free to bring up my old reviews (or anybody else's) if they contain offensive language (meaning slurs), but as for the other stuff, I think most mods today would still be fine accepting a review that claims that an album "sucks green gangrenous goat gonads".

Got it. Nah, I probably wouldn't have reported it if it wasn't for the "mentally..." etc part. I thought that one was a bit too much.

Metantoine wrote:
Eh this was written when he was like 14-15 (some people like Caspian have the same style at like 35 though) so I'm sure he can edit it to make it less immature.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I've probably written way worse at 15 and I'd appreciate if someone pointed it out to me so I can amend past errors.

Top
 Profile  
OzzyApu
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 10613
Location: Seattle
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:04 pm 
 

Was listening to Forced Entry's As Above for the first time and started reading some reviews. Then I got to this one: https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 1/DBK/4268

I'm wondering if this old 2003 review still merits being here. It's very bare bones and doesn't do a very good job of describing the album aside from general remarks. If I wasn't listening to the album at the same time I wouldn't have any proximity as to what it sounded like aside from boring vanilla thrash, except it's not vanilla thrash. Relying on the word "interesting" doesn't make a strong indication that the album is heavily prog/tech thrash based.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Top
 Profile  
Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:07 am
Posts: 45
Location: Russia
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:38 pm 
 

Gas_Snake wrote:
Here's some old sucky reviews for Dream Theater's Awake which should be removed:

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... Knight/390
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... d34th/2971
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ldier/3050
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... oses/34325
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... fear/27948
These are all track-by-track reviews. The first three are sorely lacking in musical description. The first one is full of terrible grammatical errors, and the second one constantly stumbles over itself with the whole "I don't know why I like it, I just do" sentiment. The third one goes the extra mile with rating each song individually and should be instantly axed.
The last two describe the music quite well, the problem is that both reviewers devote an entire long-ass paragraph to each individual track.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ooter/5599
This is like an even further extrapolation of the last two. His description of the actual music is amazingly detailed, but it follows the same track-by-track format with devoting entire long paragraphs to nearly each individual song (and one of them, for some reason, gets TWO entire paragraphs all to itself). I know that a lot of his reviews are great and very descriptive without being bloated, but he clearly overshot it with this one.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 1/OJ16/601
Not enough musical description.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... nted666/73
Terrible grammar and formatting, practically unreadable.


Bump 2: last response was a month ago and no action was taken. I apologize if I'm getting on anyone's nerves, but these reviews really do suck.

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 10159
Location: St. Charles, Illinois
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:01 pm 
 

I'm pretty sure both times I said I would get to them and never did, so really I'm the one who should be apologizing, lol.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Pantera - Reinventing the Steel
The Outer RIM - Uatism: The dogs bark in street slang

Top
 Profile  
EzraBlumenfeld
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:50 pm
Posts: 370
Location: Land of No Return
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:55 am 
 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ity/309683

Not only is the review poorly written, but the author seems WAY too comfortable with the band's obvious Nazism.
_________________
Kveldulfr wrote:
Like butter comes from milk, butter will only be a reminder of its milky origins, whereas milk reigns supreme as a vital element.


Last.fm
Listen to my band Begravement's debut EP!

Top
 Profile  
TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:28 am
Posts: 99
Location: Italy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:00 pm 
 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Aryan_Terrorism/War/430863/Ancestral_Purity/309683

Not only is the review poorly written, but the author seems WAY too comfortable with the band's obvious Nazism.

I loved how some hours ago I opened up the page with all the reviews, left the PC on standby, went playing futsal, had dinner and came back, noticed a 100% review, went back confused to the album page and it disappeared with the author Dursted. Sooo smooth.

As the old adage goes though, "everyone liked that".
_________________
It's the dawn of descending...

Top
 Profile  
colin040
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:00 pm
Posts: 6209
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:37 am 
 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... r33/376968

Why did this get accepted? It's hardly saying anything.

Top
 Profile  
Subrick
Metal Strongman

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 9568
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:18 am 
 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 98/151800/

Six whole lines, and the only things I gathered from this were that the sound is pretty meh but you can somehow still hear the bass much of the time.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
I'm just perpetually annoyed by Sean William Scott and he's never been in a movie where I wasn't rooting for his head to sever by strange means.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Top
 Profile  
nightbreaker33
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:20 am
Posts: 380
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:40 am 
 

colin040 wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Draghkar/At_the_Crossroads_of_Infinity/857747/nightbreaker33/376968

Why did this get accepted? It's hardly saying anything.


What do you mean? Didn't I comment on the album? Didn't I give my views? What do you want me to talk about exactly? Tell me. I also pinpointed my favourite moments. No censory please.

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 10159
Location: St. Charles, Illinois
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:39 pm 
 

nightbreaker33 wrote:
colin040 wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Draghkar/At_the_Crossroads_of_Infinity/857747/nightbreaker33/376968

Why did this get accepted? It's hardly saying anything.


What do you mean? Didn't I comment on the album? Didn't I give my views? What do you want me to talk about exactly? Tell me. I also pinpointed my favourite moments. No censory please.


Bringing a review up for deletion isn't censorship, lol.

Either way, the review is fine. It's kind of weak, and I could've guessed you weren't particularly well versed with death metal even without you saying so, since things are spoken of very vaguely and generally when it comes to what the influences are and when you describe who else it sounds like, but the description of the album itself it perfectly acceptable. If anything, I'd recommend becoming a bit more familiar with whatever style you're talking about, because right there it feels like you're kind of flying blind and only lucked out by not saying something off base.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Pantera - Reinventing the Steel
The Outer RIM - Uatism: The dogs bark in street slang

Top
 Profile  
nightbreaker33
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:20 am
Posts: 380
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:00 pm 
 

Quote:
. Bringing a review up for deletion isn't censorship, lol.

Either way, the review is fine. It's kind of weak, and I could've guessed you weren't particularly well versed with death metal even without you saying so, since things are spoken of very vaguely and generally when it comes to what the influences are and when you describe who else it sounds like, but the description of the album itself it perfectly acceptable. If anything, I'd recommend becoming a bit more familiar with whatever style you're talking about, because right there it feels like you're kind of flying blind and only lucked out by not saying something off base.


You're right. Although I listened to the album entirely, my terminology on extreme metal is minimum.

Top
 Profile  
thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 672
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:08 pm 
 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... s67/132584

Nonsensical troll review from the homophobic edgelord era.

"...Six Feet Under is about 5 million times more metal than Cannibal Corpse can ever wish to be and there's simply no argument in that."
_________________
"Also Nasum isn't grindcore." - Violent_Possessor

untappd: patrick_g

Top
 Profile  
colin040
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:00 pm
Posts: 6209
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:50 pm 
 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... iko/977941

Is this review really worth it? Despite being the first one for this album it's not saying too much.

Top
 Profile  
Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:07 am
Posts: 45
Location: Russia
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:54 am 
 

Gas_Snake wrote:
Here's some old sucky reviews for Dream Theater's Awake which should be removed:

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... Knight/390
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... d34th/2971
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ldier/3050
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... oses/34325
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... fear/27948
These are all track-by-track reviews. The first three are sorely lacking in musical description. The first one is full of terrible grammatical errors, and the second one constantly stumbles over itself with the whole "I don't know why I like it, I just do" sentiment. The third one goes the extra mile with rating each song individually and should be instantly axed.
The last two describe the music quite well, the problem is that both reviewers devote an entire long-ass paragraph to each individual track.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ooter/5599
This is like an even further extrapolation of the last two. His description of the actual music is amazingly detailed, but it follows the same track-by-track format with devoting entire long paragraphs to nearly each individual song (and one of them, for some reason, gets TWO entire paragraphs all to itself). I know that a lot of his reviews are great and very descriptive without being bloated, but he clearly overshot it with this one.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 1/OJ16/601
Not enough musical description.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... nted666/73
Terrible grammar and formatting, practically unreadable.


Bump 3.

Top
 Profile  
Derigin
The Mountain Man

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:25 am
Posts: 5808
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:34 am 
 

Dealt with now.
_________________
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Top
 Profile  
Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:07 am
Posts: 45
Location: Russia
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:25 am 
 

Thank you. Next, I'd like to offer as another sacrifice to the delete button: the reviews of one Painkiller_2142. There are six of them, all dated 2004-2005:

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 2142/14151
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 2142/14151
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 2142/14151
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 2142/14151
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 2142/14151
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 2142/14151

All are track-by-track reviews: one or two sentences for each track with minimal musical description. The Graveyard Classics 2 one is at least better formatted, but the actual content still isn't any good. The Sepultura one has a passable description in the last two paragraphs, but it's still the same format all the way. I believe there's also several grammatical errors in all of them (his punctuation's kinda bad). These things are begging to be purged.

P.S. I keep finding more and more ancient track-by-tracks that really need to die while barely trying. How often do the site moderators search for them on their own? I've only looked at the authors of those Awake reviews, and then a little, and I've already found like 10-15 other such reviews that are similarly terrible. This is kind of ridiculous.

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 10159
Location: St. Charles, Illinois
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:42 am 
 

Going back and looking for old, shitty reviews is pretty low on the priority list overall (reports and the band queue are far more pressing, take way more time, and most current mods are pretty dedicated to those sectors), so don't feel bad bringing them to our attention. I don't think there has been any concerted effort to weed out old and obviously-nukeworthy reviews since the days when Dia and I would occasionally pick a major band to scour reviews for, and that was last done obviously years ago at the latest and we by no means hit every major target. This thread is here precisely for the community to draw these to our attention, so as long as you don't veer into the territory of "well these aren't very good" instead of "these are obviously abysmal" you're good. Some users seem to forget that the 3 pointer option is there for a reason and not everything is going to be a knockout, but the standards have obviously gone up and shit like these track-by-tracks where each one gets its own dedicated one sentence paragraph absolutely should be poof'd.

Dealt with those Painkiller reviews.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Pantera - Reinventing the Steel
The Outer RIM - Uatism: The dogs bark in street slang

Top
 Profile  
Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:07 am
Posts: 45
Location: Russia
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:37 am 
 

After an hour of searching, that number is now up to 50-something. I hope I don't end up flooding this thread with the same old crap, then it's just gonna look like one person who has a bone to pick with bad track-by track reviews. lol

Anyway, here are the reviews of the user meedley_meedley. They are exactly the kind which I just described - track-by-track reviews with very poor description of the music. Warning: there are quite a lot of them (about 15-ish):

Spoiler: show

Top
 Profile  
Kennermahn
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:36 am
Posts: 199
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:30 am 
 

Hello

This track-by-track review awarding a 100% to an album by a nazi band which isn't exactly critical of the "ideology":
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 2ym/32003/

It contains marvelous quotes such as these:

Quote:
to rise white Polish youth in a last rebellion which will end the system once and for all


Quote:
The song is about alien influence in Poland, the defeat of Poland and never ending degeneration.


Quote:
Honor was different and remained that way until Szczery (singer) was silenced by the system.


The last one implies that "the system" somehow makes nazi musicians suffer car crashes as that's how the guy he's talking about died.

I cannot deny that the review, or the thought of it being in the Archives, made me chuckle.

Top
 Profile  
Jophelerx
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:22 pm
Posts: 1354
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:49 pm 
 

Came across this review today:

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... rce/75435/

The only musical description is "The guys from Trondheim have moved their musical approach more towards the classic hardrock sound, and similarities to Thin Lizzy are quite apparent. But make no mistake about it; this is still heavy metal!" Which doesn't really seem sufficient to me to get a real idea of what the music sounds like.
_________________
macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Top
 Profile  
Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:21 am
Posts: 5487
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:53 am 
 

Barebones track by track - https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... g666/34239

Barebones one paragraph - https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ician/3336
_________________
RYM
BastardHead wrote:
wizard_of_bore wrote:
Glen Benton had a Bigfoot sighting in Florida


This has been debunked. He actually just saw Erik Rutan.

Top
 Profile  
Jophelerx
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:22 pm
Posts: 1354
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:05 am 
 

This one has no musical description, other than to compare it to the band's previous works (and "great vocal harmonies"): https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... kun/107541
_________________
macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Top
 Profile  
colin040
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:00 pm
Posts: 6209
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:08 am 
 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... Xeper/1073

Suuuuuuper brief review here.

Top
 Profile  
blackmantram
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:51 pm
Posts: 956
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:10 pm 
 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ume/197533

I can't understand a single sentence in this review. Whoever wrote it obviously did it in a language other than english and used a translator:

Top
 Profile  
Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:19 am
Posts: 2111
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:31 pm 
 

Kennermahn wrote:
Hello

This track-by-track review awarding a 100% to an album by a nazi band which isn't exactly critical of the "ideology":
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 2ym/32003/

It contains marvelous quotes such as these:

Quote:
to rise white Polish youth in a last rebellion which will end the system once and for all


Quote:
The song is about alien influence in Poland, the defeat of Poland and never ending degeneration.


Quote:
Honor was different and remained that way until Szczery (singer) was silenced by the system.


The last one implies that "the system" somehow makes nazi musicians suffer car crashes as that's how the guy he's talking about died.

I cannot deny that the review, or the thought of it being in the Archives, made me chuckle.


I'll bump this horror. Even without the braindead political stance it's a track by track with exactly one line of musical description, good grief...

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group