Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The_Evil_Hat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:22 pm 

I recently received an email from U from Brown Jenkins about my reviews. It was an incredibly cool thing, that not only are people reading them, but that the guy who wrote the music actually gives a shit what people think of it. Has anyone else ever had something similar happen to them?

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:26 pm 

Yeah Tony Iommi told me there was a grammatical mistake in the third paragraph of my Heaven & Hell review. That was nice.

In all seriousness I've never had it happen, though I'm sure it does occur more frequently with underground stuff. I have spoken to members of bands I've reviewed, perhaps in the future I'd bring up my reviews.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:28 pm 

It's happened to me a coupla times over the years. Usually they're quite polite and just thankful to find that someone is listening to their work, I find.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:43 pm 

I tend to get hate mail, and whenever I review a particularly old Nadja release the dude will send a "where did you get that from? I hope you didn't pay for it!" sort of thing.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:45 pm 

I've actually never gotten hatemail. Shame, that. :lol:

SepticTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:47 pm 

It happens occasionally, most recently for me with Methadone Abortion Clinic.

Brutal death meets funeral doom - www.myspace.com/septictomb

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:13 pm 

I had it all, very satisfied bands which liked my pieces, were suprised by them, annoyed by them (and started to whine) or they ignore me because for one reason or another.

Real hate mail? No ...

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:30 am 

I've gotten my share of real hate mail, but never by a band. The only band contact I've had was when Christopher Bowes of Alestorm pmed me about my review for Captain Morgan's Revenge, and I didn't even realize it was him until a week after sending a response. So being the ass kisser I am, I sent him another one after it dawned on me, and eventually inspired me to rewrite the review (although my opinion of the record has once again dropped below passing grade, but I probably won't ever bother with writing a third one).
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:06 am 

OlympicSharpshooter wrote:
It's happened to me a coupla times over the years. Usually they're quite polite and just thankful to find that someone is listening to their work, I find.

Same here. I had a nice talk about USPM with Howie Bentley from Cauldron Born, a while back after he complimented my review.

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:55 am 

I received an e-mail from Kill Again Records when I wrote the review for Violator's Chemical Assault. It was nice because they liked it.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:52 am 

I've reviewed two or three bands because the band themselves has contacted me which is fairly cool. However the drummer for a fairly unknown doom band I reviewed without us having any contact added me on his facebook. Absolutely no contact has been made using facebook, but the gesture was nice.

SepticTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:50 am 

I've never gotten hate mail from a band, only from their fans, which says a lot, doesn't it.

Brutal death meets funeral doom - www.myspace.com/septictomb

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:42 am 

I got an e-mail from a few bands I've reviewed. The singer of Distorted was definitely a surprise, but very cool nonetheless.

Only one hatemail thus far too, which is really weird, I guess, but whatever.

Obligatory Last FM Link

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:05 am 

I haven't had any bands email though I've had other MA members email to say they really liked my review and whatnot.

Narath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:49 am 

I've had a few bands ask me to review their stuff, I feel kind of bad if I don't enjoy it.

I've received a few hate mails from butt-hurt deathcore fans, which is odd - I haven't even began reviewing deathcore albums, just the small remarks I make in very few of my reviews I guess.

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:02 am 

I was contacted by the drummer in Thorny Woods band for the review of their demo. It was nice and also the music was good. I think that he contacted a lot of reviewers on the site to post them the songs to review.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:58 pm 

Hm, I've gotten feedback from members of Pagan Altar and Dark Quarterer for my reviews .... I was really honoured to say the least.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:47 pm 

I got a compliment from one of the few bands I've reviewed......but the guy who complimented me is a good friend of mine...does that count? :lol:

That's as close as I've ever come. Maybe if I did more reviews...my reviews aren't that good anyway. I'm surprised they even were accepted.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:56 am 

When I reviewed the No Emotions album, I got an email from the guitarist, Sirius, and he thanked me for the support. We exchanged emails until it got to the point of me helping his band look for a label and giving him some advice. While I never imagined it go that far, I'm happy to help them as much as I can. Turns out he's a pretty cool guy.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

thinkpad20
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:31 pm 

Only bands I've reviewed so far are Suffocation and Hate Eternal, so I doubt they give a shit about my opinions... well, Mike interacts with the fans on their forum and all that, but all the same I doubt they care at all about what I say in my lengthy discussions of their albums.

Dechripastocide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:20 pm 

You can always hunt them down if you really want contact. But my method may not suit you for long.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:29 pm 

Do I see this right: there are few who actually contact the band and point their attention on the reviews? I always send them an e-mail, once I have written a piece.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:17 pm 

The only time I ever send an email when I post something is when I'm responding to a specific request. Otherwise, never. My work is for the consumer, not the artist. I enjoy the attention when it comes, but I don't solicit it.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:20 pm 

Most of the bands I review are long-defunct anyway. I'd feel a little strange if one of them e-mailed me.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:10 pm 

I've had about 15 bands get in direct contact with me right after submitting reviews to the Metal Observer site. Probably the most mainstream and successful of these bands is Alkemyst, who referred to my review as being "Completely Awesome!!!!". I was touched by the complement, although frankly the album kicked so much ass I thought I was understating how good it was. Rusty Eye has also been in regular contact with me, and I've gotten nothing but positive comments from them as well.

Most of the hate mail I get is from Pantera, Cryptopsy and Metallica fans who are pissed at me for dissing albums that are allegedly legendary. I have a feeling a lot of Machine Head fans will join in on the hate when I get to their material. Frankly, getting hate mail from that sort is almost something I look to since the emails are usually so damned poorly written (especially ones hailing from the English as a first language countries, surprisingly enough) that I can't help but laugh my ass off at them.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:24 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Frankly, getting hate mail from that sort is almost something I look to since the emails are usually so damned poorly written (especially ones hailing from the English as a first language countries, surprisingly enough) that I can't help but laugh my ass off at them.

This is true (I've gotten angry mail because of my Blooddrunk, Colors of Conflict, and Death Prevails reviews. But the saddest part is that the fan mail I get is on the whole even more poorly written than my hate mail. Don't get me wrong, I've had some great conversations with people congratulating me for my work and discussing metal in general, but I've actually had multiple UR MESHUGGAH REVEW WAS SOOOOO FUCKEN FUNNY LOLOL KEEP UP THE GUD WORK!!!1 messages. *sigh*
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Morbid_devil
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:20 am 

Slaktare contacted me to translate one of my reviews in English. Then they remained really happy and send me their new album. i am in contact with Algol of Forgotten Tomb and Hiems, and some other little black metal bands...

Cheeses_Priced
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:54 pm 

Tanner Anderson from Celestiial sent me a couple of very friendly emails. Very cool of him, since I gave Celestiial a bad review in the first place, and it's good to think that I can write something negative and still be fair.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.