Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Agroguitarist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:26 am 

Hey mods,

I've been writing reviews for a popular Canadian music site for the past year, and I was hoping to start replicating the relevant ones here on MA.
When I approached the editor as to whether or not he was okay with it (inclusive of a link to the original review on the site), he said he would like to keep the content and traffic through their page as much as possible.
He did say that he was happy for me to submit the excerpt of a paragraph with the link and "to read full review, click here", so I just wanted to put it out there and see if that was even a possibility?

I know it's probably not feasible, but I'd love to get some of it up :)

And short of that, I do write for a few other sites and they're okay with it, so I will be putting those up (as well as some just for MA).

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:15 am 

Agroguitarist wrote:
Hey mods,

I've been writing reviews for a popular Canadian music site for the past year, and I was hoping to start replicating the relevant ones here on MA.
When I approached the editor as to whether or not he was okay with it (inclusive of a link to the original review on the site), he said he would like to keep the content and traffic through their page as much as possible.
He did say that he was happy for me to submit the excerpt of a paragraph with the link and "to read full review, click here", so I just wanted to put it out there and see if that was even a possibility?

I know it's probably not feasible, but I'd love to get some of it up :)

And short of that, I do write for a few other sites and they're okay with it, so I will be putting those up (as well as some just for MA).

Hi there,

I'm not a mod, but they don't check this page very often anymore, so I thought I'd help out.

To answer the easiest question first, it's no problem to duplicate a review here that you have written for another website or publication, then post a link to it. However, it's got to be your own work, and plagiarism is a bannable offense.

Regarding the question about submitting an excerpt and then a link to the full review, it probably won't be acceptable. That's because all reviews on this site should follow these rules and won't be accepted unless they do. Each review is viewed by mods first and then either accepted or rejected. If you post an excerpt, it's likely that it won't contain the required content for the review to be accepted. Also, it denies readers here a real review of the album, and MA has no adverts as you can see.

If that review site is popular enough, they will generate the traffic just from the links at the end of your reviews. If not, they should be glad for some of the traffic coming from MA. Either way, most websites/zines that I've been in contact are fine with the review being reposted here as long as it's published first by the source it's intended for. Why not see if you can strike a similar deal?

Agroguitarist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:09 pm 

That's absolutely fair.
I'll chat to him and see what can be done - cheers!!

BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:04 pm 

For a more official answer, crossposting is totally fine and always has been. If you wrote it somewhere else first (as long as it was actually you who wrote it), crossposting here with a link to where it originally appeared is just fine and possibly even encouraged (not like we're losing traffic that way). Tons of us do that already, including myself. If anything, most of my traffic actually comes from MA, which is cool because I also do a lot of different stuff on my own blog that I don't post here.

However, just posting a short snippet and hiding the full review somewhere else is probably bad form. If you wanted to try to Rules Lawyer your way in by posting just enough to technically be acceptable, it's gonna raise a few questions. Were the parts you cut out even necessary in the first place? If everything you wrote is relevant then why not just post the whole thing? Do you really want your legacy here to be writing half-reviews with the full product hidden away elsewhere? It just seems silly and not worth it. Just post the whole thing or not at all.

Agroguitarist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:44 am 

BastardHead wrote:
For a more official answer, crossposting is totally fine and always has been. If you wrote it somewhere else first (as long as it was actually you who wrote it), crossposting here with a link to where it originally appeared is just fine and possibly even encouraged (not like we're losing traffic that way). Tons of us do that already, including myself. If anything, most of my traffic actually comes from MA, which is cool because I also do a lot of different stuff on my own blog that I don't post here.

However, just posting a short snippet and hiding the full review somewhere else is probably bad form. If you wanted to try to Rules Lawyer your way in by posting just enough to technically be acceptable, it's gonna raise a few questions. Were the parts you cut out even necessary in the first place? If everything you wrote is relevant then why not just post the whole thing? Do you really want your legacy here to be writing half-reviews with the full product hidden away elsewhere? It just seems silly and not worth it. Just post the whole thing or not at all.

Absolutely, 100%.
I have spoken to him and he's now keen for me to do a few and see how we go - I'm sure he'll get the good vibe once we're in the groove.
And I have content from the other sites anyway, plus a few that I want to do direct to MA, so happy days.

Thanks for the replies, folks!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4