Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:55 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
I heard 2 tracks from NIME long ago that made me hate Blind Guardian, and they sounded nothing like the Blind Guardian I heard on the debut album, Somewhere Far Beyond, or Imaginations... which kicked ass.

They must have been interludes, and they sucked.

NIME is a pretty poor album for Blind Guardian, but it somehow contains no less than three of their best songs ever.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:04 pm 

HenryKrinkle31 wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:
I heard 2 tracks from NIME long ago that made me hate Blind Guardian, and they sounded nothing like the Blind Guardian I heard on the debut album, Somewhere Far Beyond, or Imaginations... which kicked ass.

They must have been interludes, and they sucked.

NIME is a pretty poor album for Blind Guardian, but it somehow contains no less than three of their best songs ever.

EXACTLY what I was going to say. As a whole, the album is kind of shit, but if I just hear the title track, Mirror Mirror, When Sorrow Sang, or maybe Into the Storm on their own, they're fantastic.

And Ozzy, the interludes are almost never more than thirty or forty seconds long. They aren't horribly lengthy but they're still flow breaking and pointless.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Whackooyzero
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:04 am 

Nah NIME is their best album pretty much. It's not just an album it's like a play. Granted it's hard to determine their best but Imaginations certainly isn't that jaw dropping to justify it beating NIME personally.

Eurnonymous on Eparistera Daimones wrote:
rumor has it that Tom Warrior's massive guitar tone on this album has been the cause of all the major earthquakes happening worldwide.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:11 am 

Whackooyzero wrote:
Nah NIME is their best album pretty much. It's not just an album it's like a play.

A very poorly articulated, very dull play. Yes, if you meant that, then I agree.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:16 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Whackooyzero wrote:
Nah NIME is their best album pretty much. It's not just an album it's like a play.

A very poorly articulated, very dull play. Yes, if you meant that, then I agree.

Eventually smart ass retorts must give way to a superior pair of ears, me thinks. And eventually power metal has to do something else aside from slavishly following the dogmas put forth in the early to mid 80s by American and British bands. :p
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:19 am 

I've had that album since I got into metal. It was my first BG album, and I pondered on why I couldn't quite get into it as a whole for a few years until I realized I just found the production weak, the songwriting cluttered and that there were only about five good songs on the whole thing, as has been previously noted here.

And of course it has to "do something else." I like tons of bands that progress it beyond its early roots. The problem is, when it goes too far, people complain that it has, well, gone too far. Where I usually do not agree.

SapientMetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:20 am 

I found Alcameth's review of Spiral Architect's A Sceptic's Universe funny, frustrating, irritating, and completely fucking ridiculous. Then I saw the list of other albums he's reviewed and it all made perfect sense.

I guess I should clarify that I found the review itself not that funny, just the image some guy sitting beside a stereo scratching his head was.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:22 am 

Whackooyzero wrote:
Granted it's hard to determine their best but Imaginations certainly isn't that jaw dropping to justify it beating NIME personally.

Which is why I consider Somewhere Far Beyond to be my favorite

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:24 am 

One time I actually deleted the interludes from NIME on my iPod, and it somehow made the album worse. It has a few really good songs, but I find myself losing interest in the middle every time. SFB is probably my favorite, too.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:03 am 

failsafeman wrote:
One time I actually deleted the interludes from NIME on my iPod, and it somehow made the album worse. It has a few really good songs, but I find myself losing interest in the middle every time.

Same with me, after The Curse of Feanor I just tune out and forget the rest exists. That album would make a great EP though.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:50 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
One time I actually deleted the interludes from NIME on my iPod, and it somehow made the album worse. It has a few really good songs, but I find myself losing interest in the middle every time. SFB is probably my favorite, too.

Bolded part is especially important. I know it's a cliched thing to say, but it really is the perfect blend of their two styles in the midst of the transition from primal speed metal to majestic power metal. I was gonna review it a year or so ago with an absurdly high score but there's really no reason to at this point. Not to mention anybody who reads the forum surely sees how much I jizz over that album so they all know my stance anyways.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:04 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I've had that album since I got into metal. It was my first BG album, and I pondered on why I couldn't quite get into it as a whole for a few years until I realized I just found the production weak, the songwriting cluttered and that there were only about five good songs on the whole thing, as has been previously noted here.

And of course it has to "do something else." I like tons of bands that progress it beyond its early roots. The problem is, when it goes too far, people complain that it has, well, gone too far. Where I usually do not agree.

The production is a bit more posh than "Imaginations", which in turn was more posh than their earlier stuff, but it still has a good metallic feel to it. They started to lose me a bit with ANATO, which I am going to re-review and score a little lower after realizing that only half of the songs on there are really superb and the only actual bonafied classic is "And Then There Was Silence".

Furthermore, I tend to be an apologist for most progressive evolutions of power metal, although I really don't like it when that progression involves dumbing down the guitar work and making it sound like either mid-90s Pantera or Metalcore.

I guess its tough being one of a very small few who doesn't see either the USPM or European school being necessarily superior to the other. I'm almost tempted to treat them as separate sub-genres though, given how different they tend to be.

failsafeman wrote:

As an avid King Diamond fan, I tend to have a preference towards concept albums, and I found the interludes to be the glue that holds the whole thing together. I'm a pretty big fan of "The Silmarillion", which was itself a sort of touch and go collection of poems. I think the album did a rather fine job of capturing the spirit of the book.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:15 am 

As someone who doesn't listen to power metal and thus is the only relevant opinion, I can say that NIME is the last good BG album before the really really terrible crap of ANATO.

Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/noktorn01

Lepernicus wrote:
Every record that dipshit sold took away money that could have went to a far more deserving band such as Immolation.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:34 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

As an avid King Diamond fan, I tend to have a preference towards concept albums, and I found the interludes to be the glue that holds the whole thing together. I'm a pretty big fan of "The Silmarillion", which was itself a sort of touch and go collection of poems. I think the album did a rather fine job of capturing the spirit of the book.

Yeah, that's about right. I'm a huge fan of The Silmarillion myself, and that's part of why I like certain songs from NIME as much as I do - for brief flashes, they're really able to capture the feel of the book. For example "The Curse of Feanor" really conveys the feel of the wrath and hatred Feanor holds for Morgoth, his father's murderer, thief of the Silmarils, such that he's able even to kill his own kin and essentially damn almost his entire race for revenge. It's also some pretty sweet speed metal. Really though, I think they would've been better off just taking key scenes from the book instead of trying to cobble it together into some sort of "concept album" that only covers about the first half of the First Age anyway. There's no coherent story arc, because it ends with Morgoth scoring a huge victory against the elves, rather than his defeat. It doesn't even begin to deal with Turin or Beren, basically the two major heroes of the First Age, despite the fact that it's one of Beren's greatest deeds portrayed in the cover art!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:45 am 

All of this Tolkien talk is giving me a serious boner. Anyway, maybe some day I'll have an epic metal side project with a 12-album series to mirror the twelve volume History of Middle Earth, as the versions of the stories told in The Silmarillion get expanded upon and read more like actual fictional tales rather than a dry historical summary.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Alchameth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:07 pm 

SapientMetal wrote:
I found Alcameth's review of Spiral Architect's A Sceptic's Universe funny, frustrating, irritating, and completely fucking ridiculous. Then I saw the list of other albums he's reviewed and it all made perfect sense.

I guess I should clarify that I found the review itself not that funny, just the image some guy sitting beside a stereo scratching his head was.

Well, um... thanks for the feedback, I guess ?

I must admit you've got that image right, though. Boredom usually has me scratching my head frantically.

About the reviews, there's something about the line "Uhh, Judas Priest called. Freewheel Burning intro riff is only supposed to be played four times, not four hundred." in UltraBoris' review for Sonata Arctica's Ecliptica that gets me every time.

SonatAJEArcticA
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:39 am 

"Comprised of a pentagram of the douchiest scene wiggers society's membrane has to offer, Waking The Cadaver have taken the clown sperm-encrusted crown as metal's most mind-numbing act and simultaneously, sucked the deathcore bar down to a subterranean level..."

Waking The Cadaver review by MutatisMutandis

ForbiddenThoughts
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:38 pm 

Mateilkrist wrote:

"The guitars are distinctly Cryptopsy in tone, but sadly they have been castrated and watered down so much that they've actually begun to erode"

:durr:

MetalSupremacy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:45 pm 

A certain passage from Hells_unicorn's review of Job for a Cowboy's Doom nearly made hurt something when I read it the first time.

hells_unicorn wrote:
A perfect example of just how disorganized of a style this band exhibits is the extreme metal grab-bag anthem “Suspended by the neck”, which goes through so many damned stylistic and tempo changes that you’ll wonder if the random play button on your player is malfunctioning and shifting songs every 15 or 20 seconds. If you’re listening on an I-pod you’d suspect that the player is randomly shifting between the In Flames debut, something from The Dillinger Escape Plan, and a few occasional Dying Fetus excerpts and maybe a Machine Head or Biohazard bit. The singer just throws everything at the microphone but the kitchen sink, in no particular order, and succeeds only in sounding a tiger anally raping a bob cat at random intervals.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe I'm just immature, but the mental image of a tiger anally raping a bob cat in relation to deathcore vocals makes me laugh really hard.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:21 pm 

MetalSupremacy wrote:
A certain passage from Hells_unicorn's review of Job for a Cowboy's Doom nearly made hurt something when I read it the first time.

hells_unicorn wrote:
A perfect example of just how disorganized of a style this band exhibits is the extreme metal grab-bag anthem “Suspended by the neck”, which goes through so many damned stylistic and tempo changes that you’ll wonder if the random play button on your player is malfunctioning and shifting songs every 15 or 20 seconds. If you’re listening on an I-pod you’d suspect that the player is randomly shifting between the In Flames debut, something from The Dillinger Escape Plan, and a few occasional Dying Fetus excerpts and maybe a Machine Head or Biohazard bit. The singer just throws everything at the microphone but the kitchen sink, in no particular order, and succeeds only in sounding a tiger anally raping a bob cat at random intervals.

Maybe I'm just immature, but the mental image of a tiger anally raping a bob cat in relation to deathcore vocals makes me laugh really hard.

Yes, one of my many attempts at channeling Ultraboris' brand of juvenile humor while still trying to keep my own style of "description first, novelty second" reviewing. It seems that whenever I trash a band that I don't like, I always come back to Boris' latent desire to have seen Sepultura killed in an accidental bombing during the recording of Roots. :lol:
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Whackooyzero
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:04 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Whackooyzero wrote:

It's an album that has to be heard all the way through each time which can be either positive or negative depending on the listener. The album has stronger melodies and stronger songwriting in my opinion then IFTOS. SFB is probably my second favorite, but NIME is engaging for me, the only main negative I can find is that it is a little bloated but I generally find myself enjoying such over the topness for lack of a better term.

Eurnonymous on Eparistera Daimones wrote:
rumor has it that Tom Warrior's massive guitar tone on this album has been the cause of all the major earthquakes happening worldwide.

Pale_Pilgrim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:54 pm 

Whackooyzero wrote:
It's an album that has to be heard all the way through each time which can be either positive or negative depending on the listener.

I'm actually a fan of the album and own it myself, but it suffers from the exact same thing as the novel from whence it came: The "zzz" factor. The Silmarillion may have a handful of moderately interesting sections, little accounts of this or that which make you go "cool!" or "holy shit!" -- but it eats away at you; Tolkien's mind-numbing sense for detail and historical flim-flam going on and on as you search for a gun to make it all stop. Nightfall has some great metal tunes and a nice ballad here and there, but it all becomes an excerise in tedious monotony, nerve-grating interludes and it all overstays its welcome by the time 'Mirror Mirror' ends (at latest). I also find it ends on a very weak point ('When Sorrow Sang' - guh, what a terrible chorus).

My DeviantArt
My old band/project

MetalSupremacy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:46 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
MetalSupremacy wrote:

hells_unicorn wrote:

Yes, one of my many attempts at channeling Ultraboris' brand of juvenile humor while still trying to keep my own style of "description first, novelty second" reviewing. It seems that whenever I trash a band that I don't like, I always come back to Boris' latent desire to have seen Sepultura killed in an accidental bombing during the recording of Roots. :lol:

Holy shit, did Boris actually say that? I know he was a little over the top at times, but...well...justified or not... :p

EDIT: Just looked it up, and well, he did. To be honest, I don't know whether I do disagree...Roots was pretty horrible.

Overall though, I think it's better that you don't stoop to his level of humour - it's funny some of the time, but when it's taken too far, it just becomes gross. Hating nu-metal is fair enough, but everything "modern"? The problem is, what is "modern"? There are lots of different definitions of the word. It can't just be entirely defined as "suck" which is what he always seemed to do. :lol:

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3