Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
jackwestjr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:15 pm 

Perplexed_Sjel is definitely one of my favorite reviewers on the archives. I've found out about a ton of good bands because of his reviews.

googens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:17 pm 

Tepes_The_Unweeping, Skyklad, UltraBoris, linkavitch, Doomknocker, grimdoom, and alexlovetheredchord...lol I'm just kidding they all suck shit.

Seriously though, my favorite reviewers are probably Noktorn for having a somewhat similar taste, oneyoudontknow is very descriptive, and probably my favorite to read. Hells Unicorn is great for when I read up on power metal, and Autothrall is short, sweat, and descriptive.

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:23 pm 

googens wrote:
Tepes_The_Unweeping, UltraBoris, linkavitch,

You are mistaken on those ones.

Aanyways...my I have a few different favorite reviewers depending on the genre of music I'm dabbling around in. If i'm looking for some good power metal, I'll check out Empyreal's shit. Doom? caspian. Brutal death/goregrind? Noktorn. Thrash? probably UltraBoris. These guys are not only really good reviewers, but they have a strong knowledge of their respective genres.

Other reviewers that are worthy of my time are droneriot and Napero. Tepes and BastardHead are also good if I'm in need for a laugh. And I gotta give autothrall a shout simply because he's managed to stay so consistent with so many goddamn reviews.

That pretty much covers it. My fave writers aren't a whole lot different from the rest of y'all, as you can see.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:50 pm 

In my opinion, ANationalAcrobat is the best reviewer by a mile. Alot of the others mentioned are very good but he has a natural wit and sharp observation with words while many others tend to write a review in an over intellectual post-graduate style where such a thing is not needed. I could definitely see him contributing to a major publication. I heavily disagree with his recent Lunar Poetry review but it's still a very nice read.

Ice_As_Steel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:44 pm 

googens wrote:
Tepes_The_Unweeping, Skyklad, UltraBoris, linkavitch, Doomknocker, grimdoom, and alexlovetheredchord...lol I'm just kidding they all suck shit.

Geez, I get that you don't like me, but aren't comparisons of any legitimate reviewer to alexlovestheredchord a low blow?

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:08 am 

Ice_As_Steel wrote:
googens wrote:

Geez, I get that you don't like me, but aren't comparisons of any legitimate reviewer to alexlovestheredchord a low blow?

I would definitely say so, I've had some pretty strong disagreements with some of Tepes' reviews, but comparing him or anyone else to alexlovestheredchord is downright uncalled for.

P.S. - Which one of the bunch other than Tepes and Boris is your other self? I'm not quite up to speed on who is posting under a new name other than droneriot.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:26 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
In my opinion, ANationalAcrobat is the best reviewer by a mile. Alot of the others mentioned are very good but he has a natural wit and sharp observation with words while many others tend to write a review in an over intellectual post-graduate style where such a thing is not needed. I could definitely see him contributing to a major publication. I heavily disagree with his recent Lunar Poetry review but it's still a very nice read.

I particularly loved his description of Isen Torr as "heavier-than-thou and (mostly) English metal."

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:55 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Ice_As_Steel wrote:
googens wrote:

I would definitely say so, I've had some pretty strong disagreements with some of Tepes' reviews, but comparing him or anyone else to alexlovestheredchord is downright uncalled for.

P.S. - Which one of the bunch other than Tepes and Boris is your other self? I'm not quite up to speed on who is posting under a new name other than droneriot.

Tepes just writes reviews as himself and grimdoom.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:32 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
In my opinion, ANationalAcrobat is the best reviewer by a mile. Alot of the others mentioned are very good but he has a natural wit and sharp observation with words while many others tend to write a review in an over intellectual post-graduate style where such a thing is not needed.

Ha, thanks. Cool. But the reason for the lack of intellectual post-graduate style is probably due to the fact I'm still an under-grad... that and I struggle writing that way with a straight face.

Quote:
I could definitely see him contributing to a major publication.

What else do you see in that crystal ball, Mark?

usernamepassword
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:36 am 

UltraBoris is the greatest reviewer this site has ever seen...nor will ever see

Tepes_the_Unweeping does some nice work too (I especially like his cannibal corpse and dethklok reviews because they're just so fucking spot on)

Noktorn is pretty good too though I dont always agree with his tastes

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3