Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 302292
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:43 pm 

I submitted a Slayer - Hell Awaits review around 6 days ago, and had to re-submit it twice in hopes that they would stop ignoring it. The only reason I kept re-submitting it every two days was because I heard from another user (who shall remain unnamed) that his reviews were accepted within 24 hours, so of course it worried me a little bit.

Today, Zodijackyl informed me that my review had been rejected many times, and that my review had been rejected many times, and accused me of trying to go around their system by re-submitting it many times, which is an outright lie, because each time I deleted the review and re-submitted it, it had a 'pending' status.

I want to know, has anyone else had this problem before?

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:49 pm 

Just a tip:

If you are reviewing an album which already has a lot of reviews, it becomes harder to have your review accepted. So if an album has no reviews, mods go easier on any review... but an album like Hell Awaits has plenty of reviews. So the mods are going to be discerning.

My advice would be to keep working on the review instead of making this thread, cause all it's going to do is make it impossible to have your review accepted.

~Guest 302292
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:00 pm 

I'm not going to try to get my review accepted, as it was deemed a 'lame gimmick review whose analysis is pedestrian at best', and it was a 7-paragraph review, so I'm not going to redo it.

Although, thank you for telling me about if it has a bunch of reviews, it becomes harder for it to be accepted, that's certainly eye-opening.

However, I find it weird that I wrote a much worse review for Reign In Blood, and it's the 28th review for that album, and I don't want to say that one of the admins has a grudge against me or anything, but it certainly seems like it, and I forget who approved my Reign In Blood review.

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:09 pm 

I can't speak for the Mods... I've had one review rejected ever(though I did have one deleted that made sense and another deleted because the album got deleted), and it was for grammatical reasons that I should have done a better job correcting. I fixed those and the review was accepted.

Myself personally, I've never had an issue with the Mods, and I doubt they hold a "grudge" against you.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:11 pm 

I think there is no rule on the waiting time for reviews, really, my previous one a few weeks ago was accepted in 12 hours or so, this time it was three days (I remember it was also very varied when I was writing back in 2010). Probably depends on how many reviews there are in the queue and stuff like that. Two days is definitely not time to get worried or angry yet.

And then just keep track whether it's just pending or rejected, because it probably makes things even worse if you try to submit it multiple times.

As for the rejection itself, I'd say go for the Review Workshop for help and some other people's opinions, that helps a lot.

~Guest 302292
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:15 pm 

Mine wasn't even for grammatical reasons, but I have a suspicion that it was because of the two introductory paragraphs, that I have to admit were full of pretentiousness.

~Guest 302292
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:17 pm 

Could someone link me to the Review Workshop?

It would be much appreciated.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:48 pm 

It's one of the stickied threads in this section, should be right above this thread somewhere.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:15 pm 

I assumed your review was rejected, because why the hell would you delete it every two days and resubmit it otherwise? There's no black magic to getting your reviews accepted.

slayerdeicide666 wrote:
However, I find it weird that I wrote a much worse review for Reign In Blood, and it's the 28th review for that album, and I don't want to say that one of the admins has a grudge against me or anything, but it certainly seems like it, and I forget who approved my Reign In Blood review.

Read the first two rules. Your RIB review is a reasonable description of the music, your Hell Awaits review was full of self-indulgent gimmicky writing about hell that diluted the actual descriptions of the music, which were honestly not as good as that RIB review.
http://www.metal-archives.com/content/rules#tab_reviews

Most importantly, this rule covers it:

"Avoid "gimmicky" reviews (trying too hard to be original in your format, such as writing in the form of a poem, a story, a mock-interview, etc.), unless you're an exceptionally gifted writer."

You may think the gimmick was creative, but it was really a waste of time to read, not a good review.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:25 pm 

No one is holding a grudge against you and I can assure you that the best way to achieve this is to post like you did. We're not robots either, if you think that a decision is unfair, you can easily send a message to the mod who dealt with your review/submission/whatever. Zodi is a fair dude.

Personally, I tend to ignore/let them rot a bit the reviews for classic albums since well, it's as interesting as reading a cereal box.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:11 pm 

slayerdeicide666 wrote:
Today, Zodijackyl informed me that my review had been rejected many times, and that my review had been rejected many times, and accused me of trying to go around their system by re-submitting it many times, which is an outright lie, because each time I deleted the review and re-submitted it, it had a 'pending' status.

I... what... "an outright lie"? That's exactly what you were doing. What you describe is exactly trying to go around the system. Jesus fucking christ, it's a wonder you didn't get banned.

The problem here isn't the moderation, the problem here is pretty much 100% you.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.