Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:05 pm 

... that is not the point ... why don't you write such stuff on the front page?
It is nice to see that I have been warranted with this additional freedom ... but some communication would have been nice. like an e-mail to the persons, who had been granted with this function.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:12 pm 

Yeah, don't ask for it and most importantly don't make us regret putting that kind of trust in you. It doesn't mean we aren't watching. ;) Suffice to say that these "scribes" are only selected after careful staff discussion and there's only a small number of them now, which won't change much, relatively speaking.

oneyoudontknow wrote:

Unnecessary, the respective users find out anyway when the button changes and their reviews are auto-approved. This privilege applies only to a microscopic fraction of MA's userbase.

oneyoudontknow wrote:
It is nice to see that I have been warranted with this additional freedom ... but some communication would have been nice. like an e-mail to the persons, who had been granted with this function.

Eh, maybe. You'll live, though, won't you? :P There may be some kind of automated message/email in the future.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:15 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Maybe you shouldn't ask for it, eh? :)

Just a moment of weakness. Please excuse a man's vanity! :boo:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:24 pm 

Hey, awesome. I really should post more reviews to justify having this power now.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:50 pm 

Just got off school so now I get to read that I was ok'd for this additional privilege. Awesome. Thank you MA staff! No points anymore, though. :(

Zodijackyl wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
Perhaps my not understanding what humid despondency is has something to do with the fact that I also don't like Shining.

Also, why don't I understand this sentence:

That last sentence is a poor way of suggesting that the bass isn't plugged in, because he can't hear it.

Just saw this and I can answer this. I originally wrote the review in 2009, and it sucked so bad. Awful, awkward formatting with a dumb conversation in the review between two characters that added nothing. I then edited the review and resubmitted in 2011 when V2 went online, but before V2's proper resubmission system, so resubmitted old reviews turned up as new ones, hence why it appears as a 2011 review. I changed a lot of things and kept some - those bad parts are the parts that I left in. Yeah... I'll probably delete those now that I have auto-review approval status.

Edit: Just deleted and added some stuff to the review. Should be better now. Auto-approval rules!
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:52 pm 

The point issue should be fixed. In truth I set it to work like moderator reviews, which bypass the queue but also get no points. Auto-approved reviews now grant 5 points to both mods and "scribe" normal users.

Just note that this isn't a badge of honour or anything, or any indication that your review are particularly exceptional (I object to Az depicting it as such); it only means that your reviews hardly ever require rejection (which means they're always acceptable, not that they're always exceptional; big difference). It's essentially just a way to alleviate moderator workload. So, yeah, no gloating people, or I'm unticking that checkbox. :P

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:27 am 

All the sweet, precious points I've lost! Like, hundreds or THOUSANDS of them! :grr:

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:14 pm 

Saw this user with an annoying name and I noticed how he liked to make positive review comebacks. Only three reviews, but I can only expect more negative reviews that'll be countered by this guy in time.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Oberst_Orlok_SS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:01 am 

oneyoudontknow wrote:

Yeah, I was confused also but I have an idea: Any user who is granted this privilege should recieve an admin message that says Congratulations! You have been autothralled.You now have the option for your review to be instantly approved for 5 points. Thank you for contributing. And scribes who lose and abuse the privilege recieve the message that says We're sorry but you have been ConorFined because you lose points and are now ostracized as perpetually substandard. Thank you for contributing-I guess.

kill 'em with kindness.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:52 am 

German humor, eh? :scratch:

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:06 am 

That probably sounded better in his head.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:22 am 

:roll:

Pr0nogo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:42 am 

Are the auto-published reviews looked over to see if they warrant a higher or lower score than 5?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:45 am 

Nah, the goal was to make the review queue mods' job easier. Also, I don't think they care that much about their points.

Pr0nogo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:46 am 

They're not me.
:evil:

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:38 pm 

Attention mods: I was editing my review of Crucifiction's "Portals to the Beyond" and I forgot to change the score when I submitted it to the queue. Could you bump it's current score of 93% to 95% when you get to it? It's too colossal an album for my original score.

EDIT: Also, to save you time, the only changes I made to my review of Dawn of Crucifixion's S/T demo is that I lowered to score from 87 to 85. No need to read it through.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:09 pm 

You can change the scores on reviews yourself without having to submit them back into the queue.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:01 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
You can change the scores on reviews yourself without having to submit them back into the queue.

Oh. I didn't know that, but I'll keep it in mind, thanks.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:19 pm 

DawnoftheShred and BloodIronBeer both submitted reviews today. The old-schoolers are making a comeback!

Obligatory Last FM Link

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:49 am 

19% for The Electric Age?

What in the blue fuck?!

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:51 am 

Ecliptik wrote:

What in the blue fuck?!

Indeed. I'm not saying everybody has to like that album, but that wasn't a very good review. I didn't get much of a description on how the music sounded to him other than "it all sounds the same" or "I can't tell the songs apart"...if you can't tell the songs apart, why review it in the first place? That's what I want to know.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:10 pm 

enigmatech wrote:
Ecliptik wrote:

What in the blue fuck?!

Indeed. I'm not saying everybody has to like that album, but that wasn't a very good review. I didn't get much of a description on how the music sounded to him other than "it all sounds the same" or "I can't tell the songs apart"...if you can't tell the songs apart, why review it in the first place? That's what I want to know.

This is one of the strangest lines of reasoning I've seen in a while. Indistinguishable songs is a 100% valid complaint.

The review wrote:
...overall makes the album feel extremely one-dimensional and lacking in creativity... ....everything was far too one-dimensional, and this is coming from someone who generally likes Overkill.

Those two segments alone explain the general idea behind his chief complaint. Yeah it wasn't the most descriptive review out there but it's certainly valid. That bolded part still just blows my mind. I've stretched to justify why I feel like a review I disagree with is bad on a technical level before, I'm human too, but that's just so weird to me. It's like a strange rewording of "If you don't like it, don't review it", which we should all know is one of my least favorite things to hear.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:21 pm 

Ecliptik wrote:

What in the blue fuck?!

Considering that the same reviewer gave Ironbound an 80% and the two albums are very similar, the disparity in scoring strikes me as highly illogical. The review is reasonably well written, but in my opinion the guy has hearing damage if he thinks The Electric Age is one-dimensional.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:24 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Ecliptik wrote:

What in the blue fuck?!

Considering that the same reviewer gave Ironbound an 80% and the two albums are very similar, the disparity in scoring strikes me as highly illogical. The review is reasonably well written, but in my opinion the guy has hearing damage if he thinks The Electric Age is one-dimensional.

Just want to point out that I really like Ironbound and I really don't like The Electric Age. Granted it's not for the same reasons as this reviewer, but it is a very possible opinion to have.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:37 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
This is one of the strangest lines of reasoning I've seen in a while. Indistinguishable songs is a 100% valid complaint.

For me, "indistinguishable songs" usually means I haven't listened to the album enough times, or given it enough attention. This is why I don't understand the point of bringing that up in a review. Maybe you are different.

MEGANICK89
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:07 pm 

Yea...that review for The Electric Age really threw me off. Of course it is possible to not like it, but I feel like he listened to a different album then I did. The songs are certainly distinguishable. I certainly think "Come and Get It" is an awesome track and future classic, but this guy was pretty "meh" about that one. I couldn't believe it.

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:45 pm 

enigmatech wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

For me, "indistinguishable songs" usually means I haven't listened to the album enough times, or given it enough attention. This is why I don't understand the point of bringing that up in a review. Maybe you are different.

Or he thought the songs were indistinguishable.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:58 am 

Ecliptik wrote:

What in the blue fuck?!

Quote:
Let me put it this way, you remember that one kid from your local swimming pool who couldn't swim and just hung around the 3 feet part of the pool? That is this album.

Its problem was that it couldn't swim, the dude's reasoning is sound enough.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:41 pm 

:lol:

There's nothing worse in reviews than forced poor comedy. The rules should state some limit as to how unfunny reviews can be.

Tiam Kara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:51 pm 

Oh look this is a thread.

Think I'll take a seat. Stay a while. :)

They're coming closer just to kill us
Don't cry, don't cry on me now
No, they ain't ever gonna help us
Close to his grave we'll build our home.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:07 pm 

Noctir, you're the grumpiest reviewer on MA. Congratulations.

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:15 pm 

I'm the second grumpiest because he submitted all his reviews in bulk. Me no likely bulk submissions. :grr:

Obligatory Last FM Link

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:54 am 

Holy shit, 3% for Bergtatt thats insanity, I can understand low scores for shitty Enslaved but that is one of Ulver's only good albums, and one of the best black metal albums of all time.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:57 am 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
I'm the second grumpiest because he submitted all his reviews in bulk. Me no likely bulk submissions. :grr:

I really HATE that, I'm usually letting them rot there out of spite.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:06 am 

It just seems like he deliberately reviews albums and gives them really low scores to get a rile out of people. Half of that Dimmu Borgir 0% review is a nothing-rant.

From the Ulver review:
Quote:
It cannot be said enough that Bergtatt is an incredibly overrated album. Most likely, one reason for the high praise it receives is because the masses are simple-minded.

Ok he's just fucking with us. :lol:

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:15 am 

Yeah, Noctir's streak has certainly been a controversial one. I really think the scores in many cases are hyperbolic, with the actual review not really justifying the negativity, and just coming off as a rant. Hah, the sentence Ozzy pointed out is pretty laughable :lol:

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:32 am 

Yup, Noctir's Bergtatt review is horrible. The 3% score is blatantly hyperbolic and an attempt at lowering the overall score. He barely described the music beyond the fact that it mixed black metal and folk. He claimed Ulver were ripping off their peers when no one was really playing like that at the time. This was especially cringe worthy:
Quote:
Mixing elements that do not belong together is not a sign of musical maturity, rather it just displays that the band was incapable of creating anything meaningful within the established boundaries of the genre.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:43 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
It just seems like he deliberately reviews albums and gives them really low scores to get a rile out of people. Half of that Dimmu Borgir 0% review is a nothing-rant.

From the Ulver review:
Quote:
It cannot be said enough that Bergtatt is an incredibly overrated album. Most likely, one reason for the high praise it receives is because the masses are simple-minded.

Ok he's just fucking with us. :lol:

It is easy to spin this sentence around a bit.
This one bothers me:
Quote:
It is painfully obvious that Ulver had no true passion for Black Metal and got bored with it, very quickly.

When did Ulver release Nattens Madrigal ... ah yes, two years after Bergtatt. Now that is a strange line of reasoning.

Quote:
Mixing elements that do not belong together...

Good for him to be of such intellectual grandeur as well as a capacity in the black metal scene that it is up to him to define what belongs together and what now. So much for pretentiousness.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:06 pm 

The tl;dr version of his review for Dimmu Borgir's debut (0%) is basically, 'everyone knows how gay this band is these days, but you're still a faggot even if you thought their early shit was half decent'.

Tiam Kara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:27 pm 

Dimmu is too deep grim for him.

They're coming closer just to kill us
Don't cry, don't cry on me now
No, they ain't ever gonna help us
Close to his grave we'll build our home.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126 ... 520  Next