Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:42 pm 

It took years but Rocka Rolla grew on me significantly. I'd probably rate it somewhere in the 80% range.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:30 pm 

I'm also that guy who would rate Rocka Rolla with a 90%. Might be my doom tendencies at play but I've always loved it.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:35 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
Slater922 wrote:
Hard agree. It's a refreshing experience from all the other Judas fans who blindly praise the album and ignore the flaws. (Btw if I were to review the album I would give it a 70-75%)

It's not really an album most Judas Priest fans really single out as being amazing or even especially good - most of the reviews on MA range from mediocre (44) to rather positive (77), it's one of their least popular albums based on last.fm numbers, and I certainly don't hear fans put it on a pedestal above a majority of their subsequent output with Halford, at least. Hell, I'm a big fan of the first Halford era of Judas Priest (even the more divisive moments in that stretch of their career) and I'd also give the album a 70-75. I think it's rightfully rated as solid classic hard rock album that is a product of its time and is only slightly indicative of where the band would end up on their next few albums, while also being of immense historical importance.

Didn't see the other reviews for the album at the time of writing, though I still have met some people who think this is an amazing album, regardless of the flaws.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:39 pm 

I don't think the album has any flaws. I also don't think it has much that really stands out. Really cool and solid classic rock album, can't do much wrong with those, but if I were to be stranded on a lonely island and had to pick 1,000 albums to take with me, I don't think it'd be among them.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

NoSoup4you22
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:01 pm 

I dig these Biomechanical reviews... John K was legitimately a genius, Eight Moons is a wholly unique song in metal, but what the fuck was he thinking with Cannibalized?

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:38 pm 

Liquid_Braino wrote:
The Face Your Fear dude who states that the sacking of Rod Evens led to his artistic downfall in that Deep Purple s/t review needs to check out the Captain Beyond debut pronto.

:thumbsup: :nods:

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:12 am 

NoSoup4you22 wrote:
I dig these Biomechanical reviews... John K was legitimately a genius, Eight Moons is a wholly unique song in metal, but what the fuck was he thinking with Cannibalized?

Thanks man, very appreciated! Sorry to see this just now. I felt like they needed more recent reviews, especially the debut, and I really had a lot to say I admit. Unfortunately Cannibalised was a trainwreck on many fronts but the other two albums are just too good and unique to be forgotten.

It's the dawn of descending...

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:57 pm 

Starting your negative Darkthrone review with praise for Circle the Wagons and dedicating the longest paragraph to the production is like a checklist for the droneriot seal of approval.

HviteGuden
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:03 am 

droneriot wrote:
Starting your negative Darkthrone review with praise for Circle the Wagons and dedicating the longest paragraph to the production is like a checklist for the droneriot seal of approval.

Yeah, that review has irrelevant accusations. Furthermore, there's even a brief attempt to say similar stuff about "Transilvanian Hunger".

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:41 am 

HviteGuden wrote:
droneriot wrote:

Yeah, that review has irrelevant accusations. Furthermore, there's even a brief attempt to say similar stuff about "Transilvanian Hunger".

Are we talking about the recent negative review from "Under a Funeral Moon"? If so, then I highly disagree with a lot of the points he made.

HviteGuden
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:19 am 

Slater922 wrote:
HviteGuden wrote:
droneriot wrote:

Are we talking about the recent negative review from "Under a Funeral Moon"? If so, then I highly disagree with a lot of the points he made.

Yes, it was about that review.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:21 am 

I cannot wait for autothrall to cover The Burning Red and Supercharger in his current Machine Head series. Those albums might actually drive him crazy from how bad they are.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:45 am 

Subrick wrote:
I cannot wait for autothrall to cover The Burning Red and Supercharger in his current Machine Head series. Those albums might actually drive him crazy from how bad they are.

Likewise, though I'm actually a bit more interested in his take on Through The Ashes Of Empires, which is slightly less terrible but occasionally defended in some circles for some reason.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:52 am 

The more people that rip on that band, the better.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:54 pm 

I want to get to Supercharger one day since I remember when that album came out (I was 11 at the time) and even in my heavy alternative / rock years I hated that album. They had a music video for one of their songs they played on MTV and it vanished so quick I thought it was removed because of how bad it was (turns out it was just 9/11 panic). This was the era when I was into plenty of nu-metal, too. Yet I knew songs like Machine Head's "Bulldozer" sucked and Flynn was a fool.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:00 pm 

The fact that Machine Head has been so consistently bad for so many decades is made even worse when you remember that Robb Flynn co-wrote Eternal Nightmare, and he wrote some of the best songs on Forbidden’s debut. The man used to be good, really good. It’s like he deliberately chose to stop being talented in the name of money.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:05 pm 

He used his powers for evil rather than good. Instead of writing good song after good song he's written nothing but straight trash for 25+ years.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:22 pm 

There are a few good Machine Head songs. Off the top of my head, I can name Davidian, Blood for Blood, Imperium, Aesthetics of Hate, Halo, and most of Unto the Locust. Still, one good album and some scattered good songs over the course of almost 30 years does not a good band make.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:36 pm 

For my money I don't think they've ever had a good song. The closest they ever got was 'Old' but then the cleanly sung chorus comes in and ruins it. If it's not bad riffs it's bad vocals or bad songwriting. They have some decent riffs and soloing and drumming scattered across their 9 albums, just as any band can produce the odd idea of quality given enough songs and albums; that's really not an achievement worth mentioning. It almost seems as if they stumble upon something worthwhile by accident, honestly.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:18 pm 

Subrick wrote:

I dunno, with autothrall you never know, could turn out they're his favourite albums. He's not easy to predict sometimes.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:48 pm 

droneriot wrote:
He's not easy to predict sometimes.

Reminds me of his review of A Sense of Purpose.

Quote:
"Disconnected" weaves its course around one of the best thrash metal riffs I've heard this year.

:???:

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:24 pm 

I actually kinda liked A Sense Of Purpose.

Anyway, those reviews reminded me that I've actually been meaning to listen to Machine Head for a while now. Seems like I heard one of their songs a few years back and didn't think it was too bad.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:17 am 

droneriot wrote:
Subrick wrote:

I dunno, with autothrall you never know, could turn out they're his favourite albums. He's not easy to predict sometimes.

I've read a lot of his rewiews, usually when nu metal is involved you can hope for at 20% score at best

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:30 am 

From BastardHead's review of Lamb of God'd s/t:

BastardHead wrote:
Jamey Jasta and Chuck Billy show up on "Poison Dream" and "Routes" respectively, and the former song morphs into a Hatebreed track when Jasta shows up and the latter sounds like late-career Testament.

Pretty bizarre that Killswitch Engage did the same thing last year on "The Crownless King". Old NWOAHM band writes a later Testament style song and gets Chuck Billy to record guest vocals for it, I kind of dig how specific that is.

Great review as always from BH though and right now my view on it is pretty similar. I mentioned in another thread that I've really cooled on Sturm und Drang since my review aside from a handful of really cool songs, but the new one I find quite enjoyable throughout and refreshingly varied for LoG. Not hearing a huge stand out single so far, but that might come with time. As I don't care much for Wrath or Sacrament myself, I think it's probabaly their best one since Ashes.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:27 am 

I swear to god the iciest "hot" take in the universe is "Reign in Blood is overrated because only the first and last track are truly classic".

Slater922's review wrote:
I like this album, and I feel like it deserves to be praised for being such. However, it is a bit overrated since many people who praise the album only talk about 2-3 songs.

Most people who praise the album rightfully praise the entire thing and recognize that it's one massive explosion of pure, undiluted intensity and that Altar of Sacrifice and Jesus Saves are two of the best songs Slayer ever wrote. The people who "only talk about 2-3 songs" are the people with the depressingly common shit take that it's overrated. Ya know, kinda like this exact review.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:36 am 

^this. So much.

From the review I can't help but get the impression that the one talking didn't even bother to listen the other songs since he never heard of them (it may actually be as that, but I give him the benefit of the doubt). I mean, it didn't even name Postmortem, which may as well be another 'filler' track identical to the others, based on what he wrote. But hey, a 1986 album can't get 100% reviews in 2020, it's a normie thing!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:31 am 

I didn't read past the title because it was some shit like 'Classic? Kinda a stretch.' It's not a stretch - the album is historically a classic no matter what you think of it. Just so silly.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:15 pm 

Wow. Kinda expected some controversy from my "Reign in Blood" review. Don't worry, I'm not the next UltraBoris, and I don't think that Slayer killed thrash metal or anything. However, there were some songs on the album that sounded a bit mediocre compared to others like "Angel of Death". Sorry for offending y'all, but I stick to what I believe.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:50 pm 

Maybe it's because I've spent so much of my life online but "Reviews of Reign in Blood that Call It Mediocre or Overrated and Specifically Mention that Angel of Death and Raining Blood (and sometimes Postmortem) are the Only Great Songs" is so unbelievably specific and numerous that it's basically become its own genre of review. I've lost track of how many times I've seen this exact review and almost every time it comes from one of two camps: kids who went from metal noobs to know-it-alls in six months and crusty luddites who absolutely can not stop themselves from bringing up that Hell Awaits is better. It's the lowest hanging fruit in all of metal criticism and has been rewritten seemingly billions of times.

It's the perfect intersection of uninteresting, lazy, and wrong. It's right up there with "Cannibal Corpse is generic" in terms of nakedly untrue hot takes that are bewilderingly persistent online.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:18 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Maybe it's because I've spent so much of my life online but "Reviews of Reign in Blood that Call It Mediocre or Overrated and Specifically Mention that Angel of Death and Raining Blood (and sometimes Postmortem) are the Only Great Songs" is so unbelievably specific and numerous that it's basically become its own genre of review. I've lost track of how many times I've seen this exact review and almost every time it comes from one of two camps: kids who went from metal noobs to know-it-alls in six months and crusty luddites who absolutely can not stop themselves from bringing up that Hell Awaits is better. It's the lowest hanging fruit in all of metal criticism and has been rewritten seemingly billions of times.

It's the perfect intersection of uninteresting, lazy, and wrong. It's right up there with "Cannibal Corpse is generic" in terms of nakedly untrue hot takes that are bewilderingly persistent online.

Alright then. In my review, I didn't go with the cliche "'Angel of Death' and 'Raining Blood' were the only good songs off the album". I did enjoy some other songs like "Criminally Insane". The point I was trying to make in that review is that a couple of the songs in "Reign in Blood" were not as strong as others, and that many users here seem to just downplay the flaws of the album. I still enjoyed the overall quality of the RIB at the end of the day, and I certainly don't fit in either of the two groups who think they know everything about metal or think "Hell Awaits" is better.

Last edited by Slater922 on Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:57 pm 

I don't exactly get what's inspiring autothrall to go on his rampage of negative reviews for Machine Head, but I find it pretty entertaining.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:25 pm 

Unorthodox wrote:
I don't exactly get what's inspiring autothrall to go on his rampage of negative reviews for Machine Head, but I find it pretty entertaining.

General principle is usually behind every negative review of Machine Head, now as to why autothrall is deciding to go after the whole discography, sometimes when you're either on a short or long-term sabbatical from reviewing for a webzine, your reviewing will tend to conform to a pattern other than simply reviewing the latest release. Reviewing entire discographies was a thing for me during my period where I was slowing down in reviewing promos for The Metal Observer years back, I'd venture a guess that this is probably where autothrall is now since he stopped mass-reviewing new material.

BastardHead wrote:
...crusty luddites who absolutely can not stop themselves from bringing up that Hell Awaits is better...

The reason why you're constantly seeing people noting that Hell Awaits was better is because, objectively speaking, it is a far better album. :-P

In all seriousness though, I enjoyed the review in question well enough, even though it's largely re-enforcing a common dissenting opinion on here. This isn't to say that Reign In Blood is a weak album, though I personally think it's the weakest of their first 5. There is something to be said for certain people getting fatigued at everyone stating that the same 4 or 5 albums "defined" a given style and wanting to explore other stuff. Maybe that should mean just passing on reviewing something that already has more than 20 reviews in order to give the less lionized material some love, but whatever.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Last edited by hells_unicorn on Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:29 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
though I personally think it's the weakest of their first 5.

I think you'd need God Hates Us All or Diabolus in Musica to get any weaker than Seasons in the Abyss. Didn't know you were that much into that lame MTV thrash written by the marketing department kinda stuff.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:24 pm 

droneriot wrote:
hells_unicorn wrote:
though I personally think it's the weakest of their first 5.

I think you'd need God Hates Us All or Diabolus in Musica to get any weaker than Seasons in the Abyss. Didn't know you were that much into that lame MTV thrash written by the marketing department kinda stuff.

Back when I was 10 I had been and would continue to be into it for a while, MTV was basically my introduction to death metal in the years that immediately followed, which likely explains why I tend to like Morbid Angel a bit more than you do and why I still consider Individual Thought Patterns to be Death's best album. For me MTV wasn't total garbage until some point after 1994, though I did get a bit annoyed at all the non-metal stuff that started creeping into Headbanger's Ball in the 90s. I also dug Divine Intervention when it first came out and still occasionally like to give it a spin every now and then.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:37 am 

I like Divine Intervention sometimes, but most of the times just the intro where Paul Bostaph shows off his skills to introduce himself, only to be pretty damn boring the entire rest of the album. A lot of the album could sometimes kinda work musically but Tom Araya also completed the odd and unpleasant change in singing tone that began on Seasons, from the iconic shout-singing to just angry shouting, don't actually know how to call it because the technique doesn't differ much, just sounds different.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:42 am 

Seasons in the Abyss was honestly the sound of the 'Old Slayer' - the morbid, dark, more purist thrashing entity - fading away. That darkened, morbid atmosphere that was present on their past three albums is only present on a few songs, a bulk of the tracks on it weren't particularly threatening or intense, and even the modern groove/hardcore influences that came into play for the rest of their career started creeping in on a few tracks on that album. I get why people talk about Slayer's 'first 5' as that older sound is still there, but honestly on a purely qualitative level that album doesn't stand up at all to what came before. It's a mixed bag that is 'alright' overall. Quite frankly, the complete embrace of a more modern sound - the groove, the hardcore, dropping the atmosphere, the more strained and monotonous yelling - on Divine Intervention was for the better, as despite that album's many flaws it's a much more exciting album than Seasons. It also led to Undisputed Attitude, which despite being an album of almost nothing but covers is their last truly great album.

We'll just ignore the next few albums, heh.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:26 pm 

I think Draconian's 'Arcane Rain Fell' is a pretty damn depressive album, judging by Gothic_Metalhead's review!

Depressive/depression/depressing terms are use "quite a bit"...

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:57 pm 

Looks like we got another RIB review.

In all seriousness, the review in question is pretty good. The reviewer talk about how he first hated the album when he was a kid, but over time realized that it was awesome and then tells people that it shouldn't be taken for granted.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:02 am 

In my opinion, this is how one should review this album nowadays. It's the most reviewed full-length on the site (Penis Metal ftw), everybody knows everything about it, analyzing it as it were just another album is pointless. His point of view on the middle songs was spot on (though some stay particularly strong even on their own).

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:41 pm 

I liked that new Speak English or Die review, especially the last paragraph where the guy says that S.O.D had nothing more to say after that album, because it was just so good that nothing after it could compare. Sort of how I feel about the first two Helmet albums: they burned up all their good ideas in two amazing albums and then were never as good again.

I might review Speak English or Die at some point, too. It's a really fun album to listen to, especially in this age of overblown PC.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 424, 425, 426, 427, 428, 429, 430 ... 520  Next