Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:40 am 

Liquid_Braino wrote:
never heard someone laugh so hard while reading out loud "farraginous gallimaufry"

For such an everyday situation, we have to take your word for it :lol:

It's the dawn of descending...

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:00 am 

Can we please set CHAIR up for a date? :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:09 am 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
I gave up on it after half a paragraph. It was a continuum of: 'hey, that can't be a real word' *proceeds to google it* 'oh, for fuck's sake'.

And I thought I was the only one. :lol:

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:35 pm 

Chairs, y'all!

What do you make of this?

http://rockbox.dirproxy.cc/details.php? ... e126a5c6ce

(an Ambush review of mine from early last year)

I was just dicking around online and came across proof (?) that maybe there are unscrupulous perps out there who profit from our reviews by plagiarizing us thus(ly)?! They suggest/ask for donations, at the bottom of the page!!!

Should I be honoured or annoyed, here?

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:25 am 

Yet another positive NSBM review that's clearly done by a crypto-nazi. I understand why MA allows these reviews, but wow, these guys really don't make it subtle, do they.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:06 am 

Which one? (I'm unfamiliar with most NSBM bands and don't know what to look out for.)

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:34 am 

Sweetie wrote:
Which one? (I'm unfamiliar with most NSBM bands and don't know what to look out for.)

Gestapo 666. Or as Chairthower might write it, Gestapo(o) 666. The Gestapo were the secret police in Nazi Germany.

"...in 2019, Gestapo 666 released their sophomore album, much to the joy of most black metal fans, and to much to the chagrin of politically correct mallcore posers who always feel a need to politicize everything and everyone."

Every single thing in this sentence is incorrect.

untappd: patrick_g

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:41 pm 

At least he got one thing right, though:

"Both songs on this release sound extremely similar, and both tracks suffer from extremely terrible production."

...still, 60%.

ᴎostalgiʞK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:46 pm 

Spatupon wrote:
"...in 2019, Gestapo 666 released their sophomore album, much to the joy of most black metal fans, and to much to the chagrin of politically correct mallcore posers who always feel a need to politicize everything and everyone."

thrashmaniac87 which is right wrote:
Every single thing in this sentence is incorrect

comedy cold:
Spatupon wrote:
"I do not mean to claim that this demo could be described as a raw black metal release, however, the balancing between the instruments is almost non-existent. The guitars and the drums are the main victims of the terrible production this demo suffers from. The chord progressions and sporadic lead parts mostly pass by with little to no real effect since you can barely hear them. The drums do have a presence on this demo, however it is too dampened to be effectively serve as the backbone of both tracks."
he literally described what raw black metal could be, and gave it a 60% even if the review is a constant rant.

Spatupon wrote:
"Satanic Gestapo: Unlike what the name seems to suggest, do not involve far-right ideas or ideologies"
lol

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:30 pm 

That kinda thing is really common in NSBM reviews I've noticed: the rating will be 60-100 but the actual review reads like one for a terrible album (once you read between the lines and can tell when the review is trying to describe something shitty with positive terms), and the reviewer is mysteriously quiet on why this terribly produced cd with monotonous songs whose insanely repetitive riffs aren't even good when you can hear them over the cacophony of the other badly played instruments deserves such a high rating.

But everyone knows why.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:59 am 

Liquid_Braino wrote:
My wife is Pakistani, an English professor and knows her metal.
I showed her that review by a potential soulmate and never heard someone laugh so hard while reading out loud "farraginous gallimaufry".

Somebody has a bad case of sesquipedalian loquaciousness. Apparently, those words essentially mean "various variety". :lol:

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:32 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Liquid_Braino wrote:
My wife is Pakistani, an English professor and knows her metal.
I showed her that review by a potential soulmate and never heard someone laugh so hard while reading out loud "farraginous gallimaufry".

Somebody has a bad case of sesquipedalian loquaciousness. Apparently, those words essentially mean "various variety". :lol:

Well, at least now I know why she laughed. :-P

English is her second language and I sound like a dumbfuck next to her.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:35 am 

I'm here for alternate takes on albums I love but the only thing I could make out from bayern's Promised Land review was grunge bad. Pretty cool to see that A Lower Deep review though, one of those bands that seems to always go on and off my radar.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:05 pm 

Holy crap does that Lawrence Wallace dude shred! (Or should I say "Shred"?)

Definitely gives ole Bucket-in-Nantucket a run for his moolah...

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:44 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I'm here for alternate takes on albums I love but the only thing I could make out from bayern's Promised Land review was grunge bad.

Nah, his autopsy of both the album and Queensryche's career up to the point that Tate was ejected was spot on in my estimation. His central thesis was that infecting their sound with grunge elements destroyed their sound, yes, but he gets detailed enough into why he believes that to be the case quite well. Naturally I'm biased since I hold the same viewpoint, but I think the review is well written enough that anyone should be able to see where he is coming from on said album.

On an off-topic note, I didn't realize this at the time, but yesterday I just inadvertently reviewed Desdemona's debut album Lady Of The Lore exactly 17 years to the day after SnoxVixen reviewed it. I promise, it was totally unintentional. :lol:
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:00 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
meshigene wrote:
Alina Zia's bio and first and so far only review make Chair's writing look like an English 101 text. I think they'd probably be a pretty good match.

Holy shit, that bio can't be written by a human.

https://www.metal-archives.com/users/Alina%20Zia

What the everloving fuck is this? It's like someone wrote a block of text, then went on thesaurus.com, looked up the most obscure synonyms for each word within said block, swapped them out and got that end result. I've got no problem with anyone using big words of course, but at a certain point it's just excessive, like:

Quote:
The meaning of human existence in terms of its personal qualitativeness will remain nebulously indeterminable and unexcogitable, inasmuch as it can be averred that the meaning proffered to life is adscititious rather than inherent; our pensive cogitabundity over the scaevity of human sentience in this existential nullity.

If you google like half of the more esoteric terms in that wall of text of a bio, they're marked as archaic or obsolete. At a certain point it reads like a conscious choice to be as confusing as possible.

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:00 pm 

The (late Tate-era) Queensryche mention reminds me that I should finally get around to reviewing American Soldier and Dedicated to Chaos someday. The former (a very messy but mostly half-decent rock album with a surprisingly non-terrible concept) having a lower average rating than the latter (an absolute atrocity which I somehow once endured in full and the first time you might see me give a single-digit score) hurts my eyes and very soul.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:08 am 

Just wanted to give a quick thank you to robotiq for covering the Barrit discography. One of my absolute favorite bands from that era. It's awesome to see it getting some love, twenty some years later.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:18 am 

Death By Wall of Text wrote:
The (late Tate-era) Queensryche mention reminds me that I should finally get around to reviewing American Soldier and Dedicated to Chaos someday. The former (a very messy but mostly half-decent rock album with a surprisingly non-terrible concept) having a lower average rating than the latter (an absolute atrocity which I somehow once endured in full and the first time you might see me give a single-digit score) hurts my eyes and very soul.

I probably would hate Dedicated to Chaos too but I just never heard it after hating American Soldier so much.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:51 am 

Both of them suck ass. American Soldier had good intentions (even if it felt like forced patriotism, and I say that as a veteran) but offers nothing but sterile rock courtesy of Tate and Slater.

Dedicated to Chaos I'd say is worse in that it made Queensryche the laughing stock of the music world. Cabarets, Tate touching his genitals, soulless music, and the absolute cancer that is "Wot We Do". It'd take a lot of justification for me to give it anything more than 5%.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:11 am 

I'm European so I had a fairly neutral approach to the concept, but the execution is imo surprisingly decent - it's more of a journey from an enthusiastic flag-waving recruit to touching on actual death, trauma and disconnect from family. Musically, it's EXTREMELY hit and miss, songs like "At 30000 ft" and "The Voice" are genuinely strong and expressive, but the overuse of those cheesy backing vocals on a bunch of tracks was driving me up the wall. It's... an okay rock album which could have been way better if it was more prog or more metal given the themes (i.e. probably if this was an actual Queensryche album and not a glorified Tate solo album, given what they've been doing after he left).

Dedicated to Chaos I listened to out of curiosity hoping there would be any improvement, and all I remember from it was intense suffering for 80% of its duration and "GOT IT BAD FOR YOOOU" piercing into my ears. The fact that an atrocity of these proportions ended up in "only" Tate leaving/getting kicked out and not an utter implosion of the band is still a fairly positive scenario.

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:38 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
Just wanted to give a quick thank you to robotiq for covering the Barrit discography. One of my absolute favorite bands from that era. It's awesome to see it getting some love, twenty some years later.

Oh wow, thanks. I didn't realise anyone would actually read my blatherings on obscure bands from the late nineties.
Glad to see I'm not the only one who appreciates this band. That album really needed reviewing, there aren't any detailed reviews of that one anywhere on the internet, as far as I can tell.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:17 pm 

I'd like to thank robotiq for reviewing the non-full length albums are of Autopsy. Critical Madness and Retribution of the Dead rule.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:17 am 

Napalm_Satan's piece on Sabaton's The Great War is perhaps a wee bit overcritical on its rating, musicwise that is, but he very nicely reiterates the point I tried to make on The Art of War a long time ago. Sabaton is heading towards an ethical train wreck, so grab popcorn and a beer or seven, and enjoy. Sweden is the only country who currently have the national naivete to create something like Sabaton and not get internationally lambasted for it, but the beginning of the moral end for it is certainly looming.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:06 am 

Of all the things you could criticize Sabaton for, the idea that they're downplaying or glorifying the horrors of war is the most bizarre to me. This is considering there are plenty of more well liked heavy and power metal bands who could be called out for doing the same but nobody bats an eye.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:01 am 

There definitely is a difference between the takes of Iron Maiden and Sabaton on war. Sabaton sees glory, adventure, heroics and whatnot in it, and writes happy tunes about all of it, Iron Maiden does it a bit differently. Compare the grit and horror of The Trooper to... well, virtually any Sabaton song, and you'll see it. I've said it before, but Carolus Rex is their best album basically for this reason: it is a historical depiction of a goofy king, not a series of juvenile war comic installments. It does omit quite a few embarrassing things about Charles XII, though, and paints the moron in a positive light, but at least is is somewhat historically accurate to a degree.

Iron Maiden's trooper is afraid on his horse, and smells death, knowing the charge will kill him. Sabaton's battalions are quite happy to sacrifice their lives for the glory of country and/or war, and they seem to smile on the Swedes celebrating their sacrifices by frolicking on the stage with up to but not quite including cartwheels and glitter bombs. In Iron Maiden's world, there's fear and pain; in Sabaton's, the ones making the ultimate sacrifice fall where they stood without much ado, spilled guts, screaming for mom, and lost limbs, and seem rather happy to do so. Different realities, different takes on heroism.

Just wait a decade, and see most people reacting to Sabaton's content in the same way we nowadays react to Nazi imagery of 80's bands. Their stuff simply won't be kosher for long.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:12 am 

Wilytank wrote:
Of all the things you could criticize Sabaton for, the idea that they're downplaying or glorifying the horrors of war is the most bizarre to me. This is considering there are plenty of more well liked heavy and power metal bands who could be called out for doing the same but nobody bats an eye.

If you're using Aces High as an example there are a few key differences I can think of.

First of all, it's only one song. It's definitely one of the best-known and most beloved tracks in Maiden's catalogue, but referencing real historical wars (or at least ones recent enough that its effects can still be felt today) is not their primary lyrical focus.

Secondly, Maiden hails from a country that was a major player in both World Wars. It seems extremely likely that every member of the band had relatives who were killed in combat. I believe the music video for the song even shows a map of the bombing of London. Sabaton, on the other hand, originate in an infamously neutral nation and likely have exactly zero personal stakes in their lyrics.

The final and perhaps most significant difference I see is the fact that Aces High is not meant to be a reference to a certain point in history. Bruce Dickinson is a pilot and the lyrics are mostly just vague descriptions of fighter plane maneuvers. It could be about any war that has happened since the rise of aircraft as a military tool, or a war that has yet to occur, or one that never will take place. Sabaton lyrics glorify real people who murdered ruthlessly not too long ago. In my eyes that's a big difference.

So yeah, does power metal in general make battle seem a little too happy and celebratory? Definitely. I think that most bands are smart enough to stick to medieval, mythological, or fanatical wars in their conflict-centric lyrics so as not to offend or mock the real-life pain of people who are currently living. The few bands who do make a point of singing about much more recent events will seldom use the names of real people in their songs or glorify those that the vast majority of us could agree were ruthless villains. Sabaton does both, and I think that's why there's a growing resentment for them.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:22 am 

You know, at this point, all I can say is my favourite war themed release remains Shadowkiller's Until The War Is Won (even if they might employ a slight Sabaton-ish approach, desist from name-dropping real people, instead waxing brave and solemn on (in)famous battles during the World Wars.)

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:58 am 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:

The final and perhaps most significant difference I see is the fact that Aces High is not meant to be a reference to a certain point in history. Bruce Dickinson is a pilot and the lyrics are mostly just vague descriptions of fighter plane maneuvers. It could be about any war that has happened since the rise of aircraft as a military tool, or a war that has yet to occur, or one that never will take place. Sabaton lyrics glorify real people who murdered ruthlessly not too long ago. In my eyes that's a big difference.

So yeah, does power metal in general make battle seem a little too happy and celebratory? Definitely. I think that most bands are smart enough to stick to medieval, mythological, or fanatical wars in their conflict-centric lyrics so as not to offend or mock the real-life pain of people who are currently living. The few bands who do make a point of singing about much more recent events will seldom use the names of real people in their songs or glorify those that the vast majority of us could agree were ruthless villains. Sabaton does both, and I think that's why there's a growing resentment for them.

lol what? The lyrics specifically name Spitfires and Me-109s, fighter aircraft used by Britain and Germany respectively during WWII. So "not meant to be a reference to a certain point in history" is completely inaccurate. It's about the Battle of Britain.

This goes for any band that makes lyrics about older wars too. They're no less horrible because they predate living memory or even the invention of photography. You either say making fun music about any war is always bad or you're just indifferent about it. It seems pointless to cherry pick Sabaton here.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:17 am 

Napero wrote:
Napalm_Satan's piece on Sabaton's The Great War is perhaps a wee bit overcritical on its rating, musicwise that is, but he very nicely reiterates the point I tried to make on The Art of War a long time ago. Sabaton is heading towards an ethical train wreck, so grab popcorn and a beer or seven, and enjoy. Sweden is the only country who currently have the national naivete to create something like Sabaton and not get internationally lambasted for it, but the beginning of the moral end for it is certainly looming.

Aah, thank you. Also, *she, please. : )

Yeah I'll admit I'm not a fan of that kind of power metal at all, that might be why the musical critique seemed slightly harsh. But again, any musical value to the music is just nullified by what it's in service of to me. There are times where musically it's not that bad - again, I genuinely enjoy the vocals - but it's all for naught, I can find stuff like this without a concept so dumb, you know?

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:15 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
lol what? The lyrics specifically name Spitfires and Me-109s, fighter aircraft used by Britain and Germany respectively during WWII. So "not meant to be a reference to a certain point in history" is completely inaccurate. It's about the Battle of Britain.

This goes for any band that makes lyrics about older wars too. They're no less horrible because they predate living memory or even the invention of photography. You either say making fun music about any war is always bad or you're just indifferent about it. It seems pointless to cherry pick Sabaton here.

Either way, there's a difference between having a clear theme of writing about war all in a "glory and honour" context, and writing one or two anthemic tracks like Aces High alongside much, much darker and more realistic depictions of war like "The Trooper" or "Paschendale" or like half of A Matter of Life and Death. It does also put "Aces High" in a different context imo, as writing one track that glorifies those who fought there alongside the above hits very different than if it was just another track about how supposedly glorious it always was.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:12 pm 

Ah yes, Rust in Peace, my favorite blues metal album!

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:31 pm 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:

Come on now. Everyone knows the best blues metal album is Painkiller.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:59 pm 

Wow! Voice_Of_Steel's surprising review of Raunchy_Discotheque Wasteland sure brings back indelible memories, as that was one of my top 5 CDs in rotation (along with Clutch's Blast Tyrant and Cauldron's Chained To The Nite and others which evade me now, after all this time) whilst journeying on the dirty dog between Montreal and Vancouver, back in '09. Without his feedback today, I doubt I would've have ever recalled them.

If I remember correctly, bought it on a total whim, as the cover reminded me of Boulder's Ravage & Savage!

Last edited by CHAIRTHROWER on Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:48 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
Aah, thank you. Also, *she, please. : )

My apologies. I just went with "Satan" here, and he is usually depicted as a male... except, of course, if we assume Dogma has it right, even that doesn't really hold water.

Napalm_Satan wrote:
Yeah I'll admit I'm not a fan of that kind of power metal at all, that might be why the musical critique seemed slightly harsh. But again, any musical value to the music is just nullified by what it's in service of to me. There are times where musically it's not that bad - again, I genuinely enjoy the vocals - but it's all for naught, I can find stuff like this without a concept so dumb, you know?

This is a real problem when it comes to highly nationalistic bands, and especially if we step beyond them to the more-or-less NSBM realm. In Sabaton's case, the toxicity is clad in a shell of merry, old-fashioned heroism and glory. They are still the schoolkids in the beginning of All Quiet on the Western Front, and they've gone too far with the shtick already to ever turn into seasoned veterans who know what they are talking about. Times are changing, Sabaton is not.

And yes, Aces High is indeed obviously about the Battle of Britain.

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:10 pm 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:

Drowning my blues and soul(s) right now with the tunes from "Hangar 18" and "Tornado of Souls"... enlightening, especially when you finally know what those actually are... where have our ears been all these years...

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:35 am 

colin040 wrote:
I'd like to thank robotiq for reviewing the non-full length albums are of Autopsy. Critical Madness and Retribution of the Dead rule.

Thanks Colin, yeah those releases are a big part of the band's story, "Fiend for Blood" too.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:00 am 

Wilytank wrote:

This is textbook whataboutism.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:54 am 

More commonly known as "whataboutery"...

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:15 pm 

The entire discussion was a dumpster fire :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 458, 459, 460, 461, 462, 463, 464 ... 520  Next