* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:52 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Yeah, there were a lot of reviews accepted today

For me it's pretty funny because my first one took like two weeks, while the second one took less than twelve hours. :lol: I know it depends on a lot of factors, but it was quite funny when I saw it's already up.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:17 pm 

Aye, I decided to clear the queue today. There was a bit of a backlog.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:52 pm 

These autothrall Helloween reviews are making me want to revisit their recent stuff - I think he likes them more than I did but he's making a lot of good points and they're strong, impassioned reviews.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:22 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
These autothrall Helloween reviews are making me want to revisit their recent stuff - I think he likes them more than I did but he's making a lot of good points and they're strong, impassioned reviews.

Was coming here to say the same, he obviously suddenly got a bug to write about them and seems to be finishing the whole series. Very pleased about that!
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:11 am 

I like to think most of the people that diss reign in blood will age a bit and when they're 30 look back on what they said and cringe. I mean, Criminally Insane/Altar/Epidemic etc etc.. how can you call them underdeveloped? You want a fucken acoustic break in there or something? The songs have everything that they need, why would Slayer make them longer?

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:15 am 

The one big argument I have against it is that all of its main draws have since been expanded upon and taken to further extremes while still staying massively song-focused. Basically:

I want raw chaos and brutality? Boom Kreator "Pleasure To Kill" and a bunch of blackened thrash albums.
I want an ungodly harbinger of the apocalypse with tight as fuck songwriting? Boom Dark Angel "Darkness Descends" (bonus for the amazing lyrical content), Slayer "Hell Awaits".
I want fuckloads of heavy riffs and punishing tempo changes that make sense? Boom "Hell Awaits" again, Kreator, Sepultura, Vio-lence and a whole bunch of others.
I want shock value, the filthiest, most Satanic and chaotic shit imaginable? Bathory and Possessed certainly have a more chaotic and horrifying sound while still retaining that wonderfully unhinged quality that made it destroy thousands of asses when it was unleashed on the public. I wonder why Seven Churches doesn't have a similar legendary status like RiB does.

The most standout things about it to me are the production and the fact that it basically opened the floodgates for the overwhelming majority of the bands I just listed. It still deserves respect for sheer ungodly historical significance, and on its own is quite a good listen (particularly if done in one go, all 30 minutes of it). To me, the others are better even in terms of the hooks, aside from the qualities I just listed.

This opinion may change as I grow older, but that's the way I see it. Largely due to the fact that I was already familiar with a bunch of the above bands before ever giving RiB a serious listen. Please don't destroy me (I'm joking, please do, I want riffs).
... stop laying the blame on me alone, as next time I see you calling out my name in public just to vent your frustration, as if I were some sort of second coming of Stalin, I might stop being so polite and I might even tell you where to put your Philosophy degree.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:32 am 

Eh I think it's a flawless piece of work and has nothing to envy of any of those things you listed. It's wholly its own thing and doesn't need to be compared to those other albums as if they're doing the same thing better. A lot of those other albums are much more conventional in the writing and were not doing the kind of pure distilled, clinical aggression RIB was. Not to bash any of those other albums either though.

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:59 am 

These comparisons with Pleasure to Kill and Darkness Descends never made sense to me. Those are chaotic, unhinged albums, and they work on that level, but they almost sound like the bands are tripping over themselves and running on fumes by the end.

Reign in Blood is tight and perfectly controlled. That's what's so impressive about it, and I feel people often lose sight of this. It's not just an intense, aggressive album. It's an album that:

1) retains total control of its aggression throughout and
2) maintains the intensity without becoming repetitive.

Neither PtK nor DD manage to do that.

I can think of three albums that almost managed to repeat the trick, though not quite: Illusions/Chemical Exposure, Beneath the Remains and Legion.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:00 am 

See, I think Reign In Blood is an A grade album, I just also prefer Show No Mercy and a few others. I think people have this idea of "well because something else is better, this simply can't be that good." When in fact no, they're all fucking bangers, and you can still choose to like others a bit more.

I personally think Show No Mercy is not only their best work, but one of the greatest thrash albums ever created. Not one band has truly re-created the same NWOBHM crossed with hellish fury and youthful angst while staying mature the way they did with that one. Slayer never replicated it and nobody else really touched it.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:19 am 

Hell Awaits is THE Slayer album to me, but Reign in Blood is a lot of fun, too - and yeah, just like Empyreal said, it doesn't really make much sense to compare that album to plenty of others...it's an album that clearly stands on its own.

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:49 am 

To be fair, the hardcore influences are also a turn-off for me, 'cause that's where most of the shortness comes from. Yeah it's fucking fast and concise, but it's really difficult to remember anything past The Three Songs That People Are Allowed To Like. The others have bits and pieces that are cool, but ehh.

To be fair, I'm beating a dead horse here, because Reign in Blood was not made with the intention of being accessible. It was made to sting asses and horrify hippies (whoops South Park reference). I guess it just led to heavier and more chaotic things that still leave more of a lasting impact (Bolt Thrower "Realm Of Chaos" comes to mind).

Actually, should I just imagine Reign in Blood as a death metal album instead? It makes a whole lot more sense, But then the midpaced stuff and the tight production doesn't really make sense when I compare it to Death and Entombed and the like. Doesn't really have that crunch that I expect from death metal.

I want to like that album, I really do. I just... am not sure who's it for. I've already heard other stuff long before listening to it that cleanly beat it in all the qualities that matter, what is it about RIB itself then? I've made it a point to listen to it front-to-back, it's still just this primordial soup of evil that just happens to have bits and pieces of relative normalcy in it.

Actually, what if it didn't have the normal thrash parts, what if it was all ENGAGE WARPDRIVE MAXIMUM SATANIC SPEEDWAGON with no breaks? Would that have worked?

I'm just rambling now. Apologies.
... stop laying the blame on me alone, as next time I see you calling out my name in public just to vent your frustration, as if I were some sort of second coming of Stalin, I might stop being so polite and I might even tell you where to put your Philosophy degree.

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:25 pm 

Gas_Snake wrote:
MAXIMUM SATANIC SPEEDWAGON

searches for band with that name

no results

HMMMMM

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 3:19 pm 

Death By Wall of Text wrote:
Gas_Snake wrote:
MAXIMUM SATANIC SPEEDWAGON

searches for band with that name

no results

HMMMMM

I've just realized that the world could be a better place if it had less wars and more satanic JoJo references

I'm loving Autothrall's Helloween reviews: For reasons unknown i've barely checked out the Deris era, now i have the motivation to see what what i was missing. Turns out i was missing some really good stuff!

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:48 am 

I agree, the Helloween reviews by autothrall I kind of dig because they fall in my line of expectations, meaning I would rate them the same (at least the albums that I've heard). And yes Chameleon doesn't deserve more than 60%, it is clearly Helloween's weakest album and "Giants" and "I Believe" can't save it. Also whoever added the lyrics on Prometheus by Time Out is an angel!

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:08 pm 

Who's waiting for autothrall to fellate Perfect Man and finish his series on Rage?

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:38 pm 

nightbreaker33 wrote:
I agree, the Helloween reviews by autothrall I kind of dig because they fall in my line of expectations, meaning I would rate them the same (at least the albums that I've heard). And yes Chameleon doesn't deserve more than 60%, it is clearly Helloween's weakest album and "Giants" and "I Believe" can't save it. Also whoever added the lyrics on Prometheus by Time Out is an angel!

Chameleon is more of an 80% to me personally.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:35 pm 

Brave New World got a 25%?!

With all due respect to Ziomaletto, I feel like he's doing these "this album is overrated" reviews more out-of-spite rather than out-of-genuinely. BNW might not be their best album, but it isn't 25% bad.

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:49 pm 

I could write a post just as long about everything wrong with that review, but it could just be summarised with "I only like fast things, all the time" and that he doesn't seem to grasp the concept of "build-up" and "tension and release", which BNW actually uses a ton and masterfully. (Not to mention complaining the album lacks catchiness, then bashing every single infectiously catchy song on the album.)

And since this is the same guy who bashed Reign in Blood for being just raw speed and aggression, I frankly don't know what he wants at this point.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:00 pm 

Slater922 wrote:

With all due respect to Ziomaletto, I feel like he's doing these "this album is overrated" reviews more out-of-spite rather than out-of-genuinely. BNW might not be their best album, but it isn't 25% bad.

After reading this review in conjunction with his other work, I think Superchard's successor might now be walking among us. A few controversial opinions don't a pariah make, but if this keeps up, I'll be abstaining from reading Ziomaletto's content.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:20 pm 

I love when reviews here get super pedantic and say things like "Maiden looked to Dio's solo career for riffs." Like they can't really believe Maiden was seriously looking at Dio's albums going 'quick, we need riffs.' Sometimes things just sound like other things - especially within very narrow subgenres like old school trad metal.

And yeah I mean I just don't see the point in a review like that I guess; not huge on BNW compared to other Maiden albums, but it only seems to make sense to give that one such a low score if you think a lot of their other albums are that bad too. Just kinda a random choice.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:27 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Slater922 wrote:

After reading this review in conjunction with his other work, I think Superchard's successor might now be walking among us. A few controversial opinions don't a pariah make, but if this keeps up, I'll be abstaining from reading Ziomaletto's content.

Wasn't Superchard the guy who threw a tantrum on here in 2020 because his Symbolic review was deleted because he referred to it as a "progressive thrash metal" album?

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:14 pm 

That's the one, yeah. Just a typical contrarian ass, no different than plenty of other reviewers. He was just the most prolific in recent years.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:54 am 

Slater922 wrote:

Definitely not a good review by any means and I disagree with the rating and the fact it's overrated but the repetitiveness of a few choruses is on point though.

BNW got the 6th place in my Maiden ranking I did last year while bored during the apocalypse. Link here

I rarely give him props but props to Empy for his Old Mother Hell review, pretty good underrated band on Cruz Del Sur. There's a lot of stuff I've been meaning to write about but when I got home from teaching, my brain is very smooth. I'll try to tackle some this summer.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:59 am 

Thanks. Good band and I hope they keep up the momentum. Trying to focus on reviewing lesser known stuff - really spice things up.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 5:16 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ion/17724/

I've been making the rounds on Redemption's discography and am contemplating reviewing every album they've put out up to now, and I came across this little antiquated gem by Oblarg. To be fair, this review is about 11 years old and it's been 4 years since he's written anything for this site, but I found it particularly off-putting that he takes several paragraphs to moan and whine about the supposedly "Christian" character of the lyrics of the opening 4 song cycle "Desperation" and basically runs with this premise as a counterpoint to the album's overall musical quality, completely oblivious to the fact that the entire song set is based off of a Stephen King novel and that the references to God are an integral part of the storyline (King's novels usually incorporate Christian imagery and concepts for a folkish effect, there usually isn't an overt Christian message behind it and I doubt that King himself is an avid churchgoer). Word to the wise, at least check the notes on the album found on the site prior to mouthing off about lyrics, as an improper understanding of the context can make you sound like a dumbass.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:06 am 

Slater922 wrote:

I agree with Ziomaletto, BNW is uninspired and uninspiring rubbish. I just wish his review wasn't so long and repetitive... like BNW.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:17 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Redemption/Redemption/17724/

I've been making the rounds on Redemption's discography and am contemplating reviewing every album they've put out up to now, and I came across this little antiquated gem by Oblarg. To be fair, this review is about 11 years old and it's been 4 years since he's written anything for this site, but I found it particularly off-putting that he takes several paragraphs to moan and whine about the supposedly "Christian" character of the lyrics of the opening 4 song cycle "Desperation" and basically runs with this premise as a counterpoint to the album's overall musical quality, completely oblivious to the fact that the entire song set is based off of a Stephen King novel and that the references to God are an integral part of the storyline (King's novels usually incorporate Christian imagery and concepts for a folkish effect, there usually isn't an overt Christian message behind it and I doubt that King himself is an avid churchgoer). Word to the wise, at least check the notes on the album found on the site prior to mouthing off about lyrics, as an improper understanding of the context can make you sound like a dumbass.

Not all of the songs with Christian lyrics on that album are parts of Desperation.

The songs that *are* based on the novel do not evoke a "folkish effect."

Can you actually listen to the chorus of Desperation Pt. 4 without retching?

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:05 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
Not all of the songs with Christian lyrics on that album are parts of Desperation.

The songs that *are* based on the novel do not evoke a "folkish effect."

Can you actually listen to the chorus of Desperation Pt. 4 without retching?

That much is obvious, much of the rest of Redemption's albums have a fair bit of that as well, of which I've heard all but the latest one, however, you didn't talk about the lyrics of any of the other songs (save a passing mention of "As I Lay Dying", which is more along the lines of the Christian messaging that I think you wanted to critique), you were all but singularly focused on that one chorus line, which is puzzling given that it is a paraphrase of the dialogue of the characters while they are executing their plan to trap the demon "Tak" back in the mine. The entire four song cycle is a retelling of a fictional story, and one contained within a universe that is a pantheistic mishmash more comparable to H.P. Lovecraft's work than anything remotely similar to a preachy Christian allegory. If channeling the words of a fictitious character bothers you to the point of nausea, you might want to page through The Stand, I'm sure the words out of Mother Abigail's character alone will cause you to shed 15 lbs. in a single day. :lol:

P.S. - To answer your question, yes, I've listened to that chorus several dozen times, zero gag reflex triggers. Granted, I'm not an atheist, but even if I was one, I'd venture a guess that a simple perusal of the album notes would keep my lunch from being disturbed.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Last edited by hells_unicorn on Sun May 23, 2021 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 9:36 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
I'd venture a guess that a simple perusal of the album notes would keep my lunch from being disturbed.

What are the album notes going to do, make it *not* sound like saccharine crap?

I know you love you some Jesus and all, but let it go, dude.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 12:08 am 

Oblarg wrote:
hells_unicorn wrote:
I'd venture a guess that a simple perusal of the album notes would keep my lunch from being disturbed.

What are the album notes going to do, make it *not* sound like saccharine crap?

I know you love you some Jesus and all, but let it go, dude.

You didn't call it "saccharine crap" in your review, you called it "blatant preaching" (seriously, go back and read your own words), which is an objectively mistaken interpretation that only comes about by not researching the song's source. Complaining about "preaching" and thinking the lyrics are corny (I don't fully disagree with that assessment of how the chorus is worded) are fairly different things, you're the first person I've ever heard who is so hysterically hyperbolic that he wants to retch over lyrics sounding sugary, though I've met my fair share of YouTube personalities circa 2010 who'd have a conniption over somebody dropping the 3-lettered "G" word, regardless of the actual context. If that's your beef with the band, fair enough, lay into the actual preachy songs to your heart's content, but any fan of Stephen King's books who reads your review is probably going to laugh at your unintended implication that Desperation is a covert Christian conversion tool under the guise of horror/fantasy.

I will agree with your final suggestion that I let this go, because we're clearly not on the same wavelength here. Vaya con Dios. :wink:
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 7:51 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
any fan of Stephen King's books who reads your review is probably going to laugh at your unintended implication that Desperation is a covert Christian conversion tool under the guise of horror/fantasy.

This isn't actually an implication? Nick Van Dyk isn't Steven King.

I suppose what I really ought to do is rewrite it as an extended rant about how Immanuel Kant has poisoned Western thought. That'd be a totally normal and useful review, for sure.

Psychedelicatessen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 4:35 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
I've been making the rounds on Redemption's discography and am contemplating reviewing every album they've put out up to now

I'm really looking forward to it. The only Redemption album I'm familiar with is The Origin of Ruin, which I enjoyed way more than I thought I would.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:10 am 

Tony, didn't you have a review for one of Black Sword Thunder Attack's demos? Did you delete it?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 12:59 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Tony, didn't you have a review for one of Black Sword Thunder Attack's demos? Did you delete it?

Yes, it was pretty short (part of like an article I wrote about multiple releases I wrote for my blog) so when I reviewed the EP composed of the same material, I removed it. I wish they had more material!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 1:04 pm 

Wehopeyoudie wrote an interesting review for that new Majestic Downfall album. I'd rate the album a bit higher, but I can see where the guy was coming from.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 10:35 pm 

Love this latest comparison in CHARIZARD's head-screwed-on Eisenhand review:

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Mind, the production isn't over-polished, despite sounding purposely stripped back and demoted. (Kind of how a would-be "baller" arranges to get shot in a non-life threatening spot and manner, for reputation toughness and gangster prestige!)
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 11:13 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Love this latest comparison in CHARIZARD's head-screwed-on Eisenhand review:

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Mind, the production isn't over-polished, despite sounding purposely stripped back and demoted. (Kind of how a would-be "baller" arranges to get shot in a non-life threatening spot and manner, for reputation toughness and gangster prestige!)

You've got to hand it to the great thrower of seating implements, he has an uncanny way of working in the most jarring of analogies, which I'm thinking of categorizing as poetic randomness.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Last edited by hells_unicorn on Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:24 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... to/1158210

The edge. The stupidity. Ow holy shitting motherfuck ouch oof my bones.

Okay, on one hand, I can discern that he's angry for this not being as purely metallicious as the first three albums, on the other hand he's basically hyperventilating, using a swear word in every sentence and comparing them to Exodus, but... fuck, did he even listen to the album? Has he nothing to say about the leads?

Wait... wait... oh fuck, that's right, he only likes fast stuff! I see now!

But... but Victims of Deception! But, damn it, a lot of their material is midpaced and completely fucking awesome, so... shit, has he even listened to those? Does he not like the clean production, or...?

I think he wants to be on your "ignore" lists, folks. Whatever. Where's the solo from "Prisoners of Fate" when I need it?

What DOES he like?

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:32 pm 

Well, Ziomaletto does seem to like the new Flotsam And Jetsam albums, but otherwise it's tough to get a read on this guy. Most of his stuff appears to be desperate attention-seeking and is barely readable.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:09 pm 

Forever Underground truly displayed huge improvements on his latest review, although I'm a bit biased since he nailed most of the reasons why I find Arghoslent disappointing. Wonder if the message about him I left on the 'Reviewers to avoid' thread some time ago was the spark that ignited all of it lol.

(jk of course, very nice to see him going well)

It's the dawn of descending...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 455, 456, 457, 458, 459, 460, 461 ... 520  Next