Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:34 pm 

Gas_Snake wrote:
Wait... wait... oh fuck, that's right, he only likes fast stuff! I see now!

What DOES he like?

That's literally the same thought process I went through after reading his Brave New World review and then his other stuff.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:24 am 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
Forever Underground truly displayed huge improvements on his latest review, although I'm a bit biased since he nailed most of the reasons why I find Arghoslent disappointing. Wonder if the message about him I left on the 'Reviewers to avoid' thread some time ago was the spark that ignited all of it lol.

(jk of course, very nice to see him going well)

In part it did because I realized that there were people reading my reviews, which made me put more effort into both the content and avoiding broken English.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:12 pm 

Glad it worked either way! But it's definitely something I'm not gonna do again :lol:

Keep up the good work!

(P.S. left you a PM)

It's the dawn of descending...

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:55 am 

Got my 100th review accepted today! :-D

I've came a long way in my reviews, and it felt satisfying to cover the band that was also the first one I reviewed.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:35 am 

Congrats dude! Always a fun time to hit numbers like that.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:18 pm 

I disagree with the new vice human review. I think it's a classic and if you compare them with Firewind and Rotting Christ, well that's just cringy.. Heaven And Hell AND Vice Human all the way!

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:34 pm 

The new Lightning to the Nations review reminded me of how little material of worth Diamond Head has actually put out in its 45 years of existence. The debut is obviously classic but their next five albums did absolutely nothing for me and they stopped playing metal at some point down that road too. It's one of the worst declines in a promising band's quality over time that I can think of.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:48 pm 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
The new Lightning to the Nations review reminded me of how little material of worth Diamond Head has actually put out in its 45 years of existence. The debut is obviously classic but their next five albums did absolutely nothing for me and they stopped playing metal at some point down that road too. It's one of the worst declines in a promising band's quality over time that I can think of.

I'm not sure about that. While I don't care for most of Diamond Head's releases, Lightning to the Nations and Borrowed Time are actually pretty great, and one of my favorites in the NWOBHM genre.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:52 pm 

I actually think The Coffin Train might be even better than Lightning to the Nations.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:23 pm 

I think their non-metal songs are great. A few years ago I wrote a hella pretentious section about those non-metal bonus tracks on my LttN review :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:26 pm 

Lightning to the Nations is a masterpiece and easy top 5 NWOBHM album. Exceptional and exceptionally unique songwriting. Borrowed Time is also pretty great, In the Heat of the Night being one of the band's best songs. I am not a big fan of Canterbury, although I know plenty of people who absolutely love it. I did not care for the Death and Progress reunion album but I haven't really heard it again since it was released. Pretty much ignored them after that until 2016, with the s/t, featuring new singer Rasmus. Great return, finally a GREAT singer to fill Harris' shoes. Also saw them live at that point and they KILLED it. And let me tell you, their old material sounds so much better live. DON'T MISS THEM if you have the chance, it was really a Saxon/Accept level of performance and Rasmus is out of this world.

Coffin Train that followed was one of the best albums of 2019. Not Lightning to the Nations-level perhaps but still great. Listen to Belly of the Beast and tell me that's not a kickass song.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:30 pm 

Rasmus and the epic songwriting really sell The Coffin Train - his vocals are the exact kind of Tony Martin/Chris Cornell silkiness I love in that style. It couldn't be any better for me really. Lightning to the Nations is classic too of course.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:38 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
King_of_Arnor wrote:

I'm not sure about that. While I don't care for most of Diamond Head's releases, Lightning to the Nations and Borrowed Time are actually pretty great, and one of my favorites in the NWOBHM genre.

Borrowed Time to me is where they started to lose steam. While it's not bad, it's lacking in content with only five original songs and two (in my opinion) inferior re-recordings of songs from the debut. I felt it was aiming for commercial success over substance (being the band's first release on a major label leads me to further suspect that) which went against the whole mission of NWOBHM. By their next album they had practically stopped being part of the NWOBHM at all.

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:09 pm 

That Tortured Existence review hurt my heart.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:35 am 

I mean, I always preferred the Necrology versions of most of its songs, and I kinda agree on certain points like the production being subpar, but some parts are just flat-out factual errors. The bass is still very present, to name one. Also, I fail to see how exactly Exhorder were better than them.

In any case, I wish more bands were weak at riffing like Demolition Hammer :ugh:

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:12 am 

Tortured Existence is awesome and I can only spare a Lebowski reaction to that review.

...but I see he awarded high marks to the first two Scanner albums (heart emojis) so he gets my encouraging pat on the back and the prediction that he will look upon this review in some years and slap his head. And if not then "yeah? well, then, you know..." etc.

What really bugs me though are the production comments, which remind me that DH thread some years back. For the life of me I have no idea what people mean with bad production. If that's a bad production then I wonder what they would think about early Destruction, Necronomicon or Anacrusis.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:24 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
And if not then "yeah? well, then, you know..." etc.

<3

Hard agree on everything though. The production has those typical, occasional Scott Burns shortcomings but yeah, there's way worse around.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:30 am 

...and robotiq evens the score.

Big kudos to him for acknowledging how awesome Cataclysm is :np:

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:46 am 

Just noticed that Edmund Sackbauer has got to 1000 reviews on the site. His first one was written almost exactly 3 years ago, so he's averaged about one per day since then. Also of note is that a massive 3 of them are rated at less than 80%.

I'm not sure he reads the forums, but congratulations for him getting to this milestone and also for improving his writing quite significantly along the way. May he continue to prosper until inevitably overtaking me lol
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:47 pm 

Well, he overtook a bunch of us, of late...but he's a bit like myself, where he mainly reviews what he likes, without kowtowing to so-called "street cred". Quite naturally, he improved, sounding a bit less gen'eric (see my name there?) over time.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:33 pm 

I know I'm biased but I don't like Demon Fang's review for HammerFall's Crimson Thunder. It seems like there is a disconnect between the score and the words, and even the criticisms are kind of lame.

I'm at the point where I might need to review it because its average score is lower than any other HammerFall record, despite the fact that it's definitely in the top half of their discography, and one of the best points to jump in.

Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:47 am 

I'm not entirely sure how it is lame to suggest that stripped down power/trad like what Hammerfall do should at least have some decent hooks, hummable melodies and a fair bit of oomph behind it all. Sadly, I've always found those good qualities only across two songs (the best songs they've done in their career, at that) and like maybe bits and pieces of a few tracks out of 11. That being said - and I mean this sincerely - I do look forward to that review.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:54 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Just noticed that Edmund Sackbauer has got to 1000 reviews on the site. His first one was written almost exactly 3 years ago, so he's averaged about one per day since then. Also of note is that a massive 3 of them are rated at less than 80%.

Hate stuff like this. People that flood the site with endless really positive reviews are worse than the likes of Bitterman et al. Thinking back to those rubbiish old dudes like Grimdoom or Ozzeh that gave out endless 95%+

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:33 am 

Demon Fang is doing a good job with these reviews. Just no bullshit and good, succinct descriptions of these albums that tell you what you need to know. It's always good in a review to have as much familiarity with the band as you can; that makes it better.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:44 am 

Demon Fang wrote:
I'm not entirely sure how it is lame to suggest that stripped down power/trad like what Hammerfall do should at least have some decent hooks, hummable melodies and a fair bit of oomph behind it all. Sadly, I've always found those good qualities only across two songs (the best songs they've done in their career, at that) and like maybe bits and pieces of a few tracks out of 11. That being said - and I mean this sincerely - I do look forward to that review.

It's all good. I just have a huge persecution complex about HammerFall because they're sort of everybody's whipping boy as a starter power metal band that you eventually grow out of - meanwhile, they've been pretty much my favourite band for over half my life.

That said, I agree that decent hooks and melodies are essential to their style of music, and I find Crimson Thunder delivers that. Hero's Return and Trailblazers have two of the more unique melodies I've heard in power metal, Crimson Thunder is a huge sing-along (particularly in a live setting), and On the Edge of Honour is overflowing with great melodies (especially the parts where the two guitars play different, but similar melodies over top of one another). I'll concede that Dreams Come True isn't for everyone, and The Unforgiving Blade definitely takes a ton of listens to appreciate.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:45 am 

In defense of the above maligned Ed, would like to freshly point out, that at least his plethora of "high scores" is more or less justified, as in the bands/albums he reviews are actually pretty good. It's not like he's just tossing any old release in the praise braise; look at it like, instead of watering down or diluting the site, he's simply cataloguing good stuff (a boon). And to be fair, just as I usually stick to the 70-94% range (with token stinkers and odd 95%+ gems, like Lords of the T.'s Frostburn), he appears to hover between 85% and 95% - is that such a travesty or crime?

Last edited by CHAIRTHROWER on Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:49 am 

caspian wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:

Hate stuff like this. People that flood the site with endless really positive reviews are worse than the likes of Bitterman et al. Thinking back to those rubbiish old dudes like Grimdoom or Ozzeh that gave out endless 95%+

Even if that's a slightly extreme disproportion, it's logical to put effort into repeated listens of albums you find actually enjoyable and taking the time to review them. It's not logical to put effort into finding albums you apparently hate (in supposedly your favourite music genre) and reviewing them mainly or exclusively.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:53 am 

True that!

Oh, it looks like it's gonna be quite an indelible Summer, alright, thanks to:

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/D ... B6r/955078

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:03 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
True that!

Oh, it looks like it's gonna be quite an indelible Summer, alright, thanks to:

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/D ... B6r/955078

I forgot about this band. Thanks.

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:39 pm 

That new Leprous review... confuses me. He says that he likes the earlier albums the most and that this is not good evolution, then it turns out his favourite tracks on the album are the catchiest ones and furthest away from the band's roots. And his most hated one is the only track that somewhat resembles their dark prog roots. :scratch:

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:33 am 

Death By Wall of Text wrote:
That new Leprous review... confuses me. He says that he likes the earlier albums the most and that this is not good evolution, then it turns out his favourite tracks on the album are the catchiest ones and furthest away from the band's roots. And his most hated one is the only track that somewhat resembles their dark prog roots. :scratch:

Well, he mentions Below and Alleviate. Maybe not the furthest from the roots, considering some of the other songs on the album, but certainly nothing like Coal. The reviewer also mentions mostly liking Stuck and Illuminate from Malina, which are two of the three catchy, poppy songs there.

I can sympathise, though. I didn't like the album overall that much, and I didn't think the heavier, more intense stuff at the end really satisfied.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:37 am 

I dunno the band in question, but I do get the "the album is too removed from the past, but the best song is the most removed" sensation. Like the stuff which is still most reminicient of the old feels the most bastardized and shitty, while stuff that goes even further it becomes this wholly unrelated thing. One example I get that with is Forgotten Tomb's Under Saturn Retrograde, which is the album where the band really did completely abandon what made them great so it's a pretty mediocre record, but my favourite song is the poppiest, friendliest tune on there just because it's pure catchy groovy metal with a big fun hook, whereas the ones which tried to meld that with severely compromised glimmers of the past felt super weak and ineffective.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:40 am 

Caspian needs to hear The Wizar'd's Subterranean Exile, post-haste, to cleanse that sophomoric nuttiness i.e. their first, kinked out album from his jocosely sardonic palette! Oh...nice to see Twist make a wee MA comeback-attack with that loftily titled Dr. Colossus review!

As for myself, it's hard to write whilst suffering a drought of cigarettes - it's a five-weeker, insofer as farewell (as in, disability check) is concerned, but I'll still try to contribute a few doozies, as usual...Had this review jousting tournament taken place next week, would have been way more at ease delving into it.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:44 am 

Gasmask, saw you really liked Völur's Death Cult. Happy to see it. Was thinking of reviewing them as well for the challenge. That was my favorite album of 2020. :)

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:47 am 

Derigin wrote:
Gasmask, saw you really liked Völur's Death Cult. Happy to see it. Was thinking of reviewing them as well for the challenge. That was my favorite album of 2020. :)

YES I FUCKING DID. Just such an incredibly good bunch of music that does anything it wants. Kinda pissed that my streaming service seems to have lost the rights to Disir now, because I was planning on hitting that today too.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:08 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Derigin wrote:

YES I FUCKING DID. Just such an incredibly good bunch of music that does anything it wants. Kinda pissed that my streaming service seems to have lost the rights to Disir now, because I was planning on hitting that today too.

Yeah man. That was a very well written review! They're a great group of people and are probably the most unique band from my neck of the woods (likely one of the most unique metal bands I've heard, period), and it's awesome that they finally got some love over here!

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:50 am 

Kinda bummed out that my review for the Uruk-Hai/Burzum split got deleted since it's still unknown if the album is official. On the plus side, though, Nightsward was kind enough to archive my review in a Pastebin, so I appreciate you keeping it :thumbsup:. I'll bring it back when the release is confirmed to be official.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:46 am 

So what were the chances of 3 of us hitting the Chainbreäker album on the same calendar day? Wacky.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:17 am 

Nothing like a good ol' Rainier Wolfcastle reference.

Also, that latest DementiaAccess review (for Nirriti) totally cracked me up. I'm gonna wait for someone using 'Distorted Symmetry of the Eternal Dahlia that Consumes All Unborn Flesh to Unleash The Non-Existent' as an actual title. :lol:

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:43 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... erx/232682

Gotta say Jophelerx, the opening section of your Ice Vinland review is one of the most unwelcoming I've read in a while. It's a tad convoluted with all the white/blue collar talk, all totally unnecessary and I nearly gave up reading, but luckily there were a few key words I spotted further down that kept me reading and the review improved, becoming much more readable after that opening.
I don't share your absolute love for Enchanter, however they're a very good band that showed a lot of potential and Longings Past were an interesting follow up. I remember getting them cause I was following Arkeyn Steel Records reissues etc, but they didn't stick. Nevermind.
Anyway, cheers for bringing Ice Vinland to my attention. Cool band. Looks like their albums need the reissue treatment. I would've ordered them right now, but they're rare as hen's teeth and going for stupid prices.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 456, 457, 458, 459, 460, 461, 462 ... 520  Next