Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:04 am 

Suggested site rule: you have to be over 21 to write a Metallica review. And even then, you probably shouldn't bother.

Quote:
With every single listen, I came back a weaker person

Did your Judas Priest albums also tell you to "do it"? :lol:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:45 am 

I think it's time to just be honest here, N_S - that review is not good. Sorry but it really isn't, and you need to know this if you're going to continue doing reviews. That review is very poor.

Quote:
This sleight of hand by the band - presenting this repetitious, musically and artistically bankrupt album as a 'progressive' release and a 'step up' - sealed the fate of the metal scene for some time

Musically and artistically bankrupt? Seriously? You honestly think the band was literally pulling a "sleight of hand" by releasing that, deceiving the fans on purpose? If so then you do not know a thing about artistic creation. The constant assertions in the review that the album was "a regression" for metal music (MOP was the exact opposite), and that it was a huge sellout, are absolutely ridiculous...Boris's review, for all its hyperbole, did correctly state that it laid the groundwork for much of what came later for metal. It's anything but regressive. You're imposing false standards on this and some kind of weird personal view of what you think metal should be, not the reality of what it was.

You call it "purposefully mediocre" - what on Earth does that even mean? Why would any artist, especially one who were as big as Metallica back then, release something on purpose that's mediocre? If you think that, then you need to take a lot more time next time to actually listen and understand an artist's process. And calling it fluffy and commercial only makes sense if you're judging it by the standards of underground thrash bands, which is fine, but you should say that instead of trying to posit the album's "fluffiness" as some kind of ultimate universal musical truth - compared to a lot of the other stuff at the time, MOP was heavy and hard as fuck.

Not to mention the whole spiel at the end about how it ruined your life or something is just so bizarre to me. That doesn't make sense at all. You can certainly talk about your experience with a piece of music, but the way you have done it here is just nonsensical and puzzling to me...it just comes off as a poor reflection on you personally, instead of anything damning about the album. It makes you sound bad, not MOP.

Quote:
Please, I implore any aspiring bands, any young ones looking for something to identify with and aspire to, stay away from this album. Don't even think about listening to it

Yeah, nobody should ever listen to this landmark in heavy metal music because...you say so? I don't want to come off as too harsh here because you seem like a genuinely decent guy, N_S, but honestly, this review makes zero sense and your criticisms are vague and insubstantial. I know these things are a necessary part of your development, dude, but here's an experienced writer telling you that you should definitely use this as a learning point as to what not to do in the future.

UnholyCrusada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:50 am 

Guess I just can't stay in the shadows anymore for this one.

Taking every point made by UltraBoris and hells_unicorn, rearranging them and then adding in a pretentious, hardly believable epilogue to make the 0% seem more credible is neither original nor necessary. The whole thing just reeks of "look at me guys, I'm so edgy for going against the metal fandom at large!" Except that review was already written 12 years ago by someone who came across a lot more genuine (and did it with about 600 less words, which is actually shocking).

I'm not going to make a huge list of everything I think is contrived, but I think I should mention this part here:

Napalm_Satan wrote:
I can count exactly 6 riffs in the title track - one in the intro (1), one throughout the verses and the pre-chorus (2), a second one in the pre-chorus (3), and two different ones after the solo (4 & 5)... and that is it.

Uh... what? And for the record I count 7, including the plodding bridge after the clean part and before the solo.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:17 am 

Ridiculous reviews, the last three for Master of Puppets. Again, the main problem is that the reviewers write about what they wish the album was or what the albums ought to be according to their worldview, instead of what it actually is and has proved to be. Half the arguments are "it's not thrash enough" or "it isn't fast enough" (I won't even touch NS review, that's just trying way too hard and somewhere in the middle it turned into a personal psychoanalysis that doesn't concern anyone, certainly noone wanting to know what Master of Puppets is).

UltraBoris' review was bad enough but at least it was a novel effort. This is just ridiculous.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

~Guest 302292
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:48 am 

UnholyCrusada wrote:
The whole thing just reeks of "look at me guys, I'm so edgy for going against the metal fandom at large!"

Pretty much the vibe I get from every single N_S review. Either that, or shitting all over albums that are already generally considered shit. Low hanging fruit, per se.
Don't take this as me just bagging on you personally N_S, you seem like a cool guy (though I've never had a convo with you myself), just my opinion. Maybe I'm taking your stances on things out of context, but to me your reviews just seem contrarian for their own sake.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:24 pm 

"Trying too hard, a 4000 words essay about how I didn't understand Master of Puppets" by Napalm_Satan

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:51 pm 

I've had Master of Puppets in my collection for a few years already. In fact, it was the first metal album I ever bought, owing to its reputation as an absolute, must-listen classic. My stance on it now, after listening to it for around eight years? Well..... It isn't a perfect record, I think. The Thing That Should Not Be plods like a motherfucker, Orion is boring (never got the fuss about that track, honestly), the intro of Damage, Inc. is far too long and totally unnecessary..... Yeah, some things about it could be better, sure.

BUT, and this is a big BUT, the stuff that actually works works really well. Both the titletrack and Disposable Heroes are magnificent examples of thrash epics, Battery is a monster of an opener and a worthy successor to Fight Fire With Fire, Welcome Home (Sanitarium) is yet another great ballad-thrasher hybrid, and so on. This album doesn't have its position as a classic just because; it's heavy yet accessible. Longwinded, but easy to follow. It's very easy to see how it set up a standard so easily; it brought metal to a wider public, without really sacrificing a lot of what makes metal, you know, good. I can definitely understand not liking it if you're simply not a fan of Metallica's sound in the first place or whatever, but reviews such as Napalm's, which seem to have some kind of personal vendetta against the album, I simply don't get. Master of Puppets isn't creatively bankrupt, as there are quite a few different ideas floating around in its melting pot (regardless of how well all of them work). It's also far from fluffy, unless for some bizarre reason you decide to compare it to stuff outside of metal. Maybe it sounds like such to someone without the capacity to put it in the context of the time it came out. Heavy as fuck, longwinded music wasn't exactly a mainstream staple back in the middle of the 80's.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:22 pm 

What I really don't understand is how someone could think 'Ride the Lightning' is an amazing masterwork of musical achievement, yet believe that 'Master of Puppets' is absolutely void of all merit. If anything, I'd say that 'Ride the Lightning' is pretty overrated around here, with 'Puppets' getting an unfair and bizarre amount of hate. It's not thrash enough? 'Puppets' and 'Lightning' are both about even in that department; in any case, I don't consider that a flaw. It's not like the parts that aren't thrash are filled with ska - it's all heavy metal. The only thing that 'Lightning' has over 'Puppets' is the instrumental; 'Orion' is definitely really damn bland and overlong, and clear evidence that Cliff wasn't the sole great component of Metallica. Both albums are at least very good, and far closer to great than not.

I agree with Acrobat's suggestion for age restrictions. And to anyone thinking about writing another 'Master of Puppets' review, I have to quote Kenny Powers: 'Before you say anything, prepare to shut the fuck up.'

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:31 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
What I really don't understand is how someone could think 'Ride the Lightning' is an amazing masterwork of musical achievement, yet believe that 'Master of Puppets' is absolutely void of all merit. If anything, I'd say that 'Ride the Lightning' is pretty overrated around here, with 'Puppets' getting an unfair and bizarre amount of hate. It's not thrash enough? 'Puppets' and 'Lightning' are both about even in that department; in any case, I don't consider that a flaw. It's not like the parts that aren't thrash are filled with ska - it's all heavy metal. The only thing that 'Lightning' has over 'Puppets' is the instrumental; 'Orion' is definitely really damn bland and overlong, and clear evidence that Cliff wasn't the sole great component of Metallica. Both albums are at least very good, and far closer to great than not.

Exactly. It's basically because these kids all read Boris and h_u's reviews and took them as gospel rather than, you know, just more opinions to add to a diverse conversation of them. The focus on 'thrashiness' alone is pretty faulty too, but I dunno, if that's what you want to do then go ahead I guess.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:36 pm 

Okay, I won't even bother reading an album that is this fucking long. But, the first couple of sentences have already hinted at a questionable review. The reason this album "...generated a lot of controversy in the metal scene for sime time now, and for good reason." is because people are trying to deny how powerful it was in reshaping the metal scene and at the same time holding it up to standards that didn't even exist back when it came out. Nobody has given solid proof of why Master Of Puppets is the worst metal album in existence. It's like trying to say that Nevermind was just another punk rock album that did nothing for music as a whole or Black Sabbath didn't invent heavy metal. Plus, assigning 0% scores on albums that are actually listenable is just demented.

Look man, don't take all this criticism from everyone personally like I did back when I wrote reviews (looking back on it, it was funny as shit). But, when you try to bash something that has proven itself worthy of its legendary status over all those years, you're running the risk of making a mockery out of yourself.

P.S. We bonded over Need For Speed, so you can't get mad at me. :wink: :-P

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:32 pm 

Here I am. Please, launch your criticism right at the target, no holding back. I know this was not exactly my finest - I wrote it entirely for personal reasons, and posted it because I'm tired of keeping myself to myself anymore. It hurts.

I know putting it in a review wasn't the best way to go about it, but this is the only creative medium I possess that I am competent in.

And to the Judas Priest dude - naah, JP are awesome.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:53 pm 

I only listen to the album for the first two tracks, sometimes the ballad. I don't think it's that great a record. It's still classic Metallica through and through and I wouldn't say shit about it unless in a really bad mood, I just greatly prefer the first two albums and rarely bother with that one.

That said, the review does make a weird point with the "purposefully mediocre"/"sleight of hand" thing. In any old live video you can see the conviction with which these songs are played (usually end up better than their studio versions, too) and that the band obviously put their hearts into them.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:46 pm 

It wasn't the best approach for the review but it can't be denied how overrated the album is and how it became legendary for the wrong reasons.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:06 pm 

UnholyCrusada wrote:
Napalm_Satan wrote:
I can count exactly 6 riffs in the title track - one in the intro (1), one throughout the verses and the pre-chorus (2), a second one in the pre-chorus (3), and two different ones after the solo (4 & 5)... and that is it.

Uh... what? And for the record I count 7, including the plodding bridge after the clean part and before the solo.

As much as I'd like for us to just let this go by as an unfortunate incident in MA reviewing lore, I do have to point out how weird I find things like this. Boris did it all the time, thrash fans seem to have a weird obsession with riff counting, as if that was ever a surefire indicator of quality. Does anybody ever remember that one of the most iconic and universally loved metal songs of all time has precisely two riffs in it?

the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:29 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Thrash fans seem to have a weird obsession with riff counting...

Are you sure about that? I've never really paid attention to how many riffs a song has.

I get why you would say that, considering the fact that a bunch of morons in a band called Dark Angel actually took the time to count the number of riffs in Time Does Not Heal, instead of giving a shit about making good music.

It's rather stupid to count riffs, if you ask me. Songs like "Transilvanian Hunger" don't have many riffs, but they are masterful compositions. Songs should be judged based on structure, flow, creativity, and of course, quality of riffs.

UnholyCrusada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:55 pm 

I don't bother to count riffs either, I was just pointing out how he says he counts 6 and only listed 5. And then as I was going through the song in my head to double-check, I realized there was one more than that, that's all.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:19 am 

Okay, regardless of all the preceding tomfoolery, I'd just like to say that "response" reviews, especially the ones that specifically mention they're a "response" in the opening paragraph, are even worse. In the words of Thomas G Warrior, ugh.

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:44 am 

Next up: someone's going to give Ride the Lightning a 0% for being the album that preceded Master of Puppets.

Obey the dolphin!

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:50 am 

Rosenthorn wrote:
Next up: someone's going to give Ride the Lightning a 0% for being the album that preceded Master of Puppets.

Fortunately that person won't be me. I almost want to see that, just to see how badly they mess up! :lol:

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:04 am 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
Here I am. Please, launch your criticism right at the target, no holding back. I know this was not exactly my finest - I wrote it entirely for personal reasons, and posted it because I'm tired of keeping myself to myself anymore. It hurts.

I know putting it in a review wasn't the best way to go about it, but this is the only creative medium I possess that I am competent in.

And to the Judas Priest dude - naah, JP are awesome.

I'd think that someone who'd post a review like you did would at least try to defend himself but instead you're sort of playing the victim now which is just pathetic. Your Fates Warning review hinted a similar thing, saying I feel bad for having to trash this thing, in all honesty.. you don't have to. Either you write your reviews, knowing they can cause criticism and stand for what you believe in, or you just...keep your opinion to yourself and shut the hell up.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:17 am 

The second half of the review is pretty much the most unreadable pretentious thing I've ever read.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:47 pm 

If "MoP" messed you up that badly, better stay FAR AWAY from "Mortal Throne of Nazarene" - yikes!

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:00 pm 

demonomania wrote:
If "MoP" messed you up that badly, better stay FAR AWAY from "Mortal Throne of Nazarene" - yikes!

1. N_S wrote a review approaching it in a wrong way.
2. He received criticism from experienced writers who understood N_S went in a wrong way.
3. A lot of people keep whining about it as if a big part of their soul were ripped apart. What a tragedy!

Really, people should move on now. As should N_S.

#3 should have never happened.
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:13 pm 

Most people aren't being unreasonable or terribly rude, so really it's just the review discussion thread - we're gonna discuss reviews sometimes. No big deal.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:16 pm 

Lich Coldheart wrote:

#1 should have never happened.

Fixed.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:05 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Most people aren't being unreasonable or terribly rude, so really it's just the review discussion thread - we're gonna discuss reviews sometimes. No big deal.

I know but I think people overreacted a bit. After all, as long as Master of Puppets is allowed to be reviewed people will review it and not everyone will care about history - some of them will only care about music. Younger and younger generations will get into Master of Puppets; the problem is they'll feel "farther and farther" from the historical context and might not care about it. Consequently, it should not be surprising that such reviews come up sometimes. It was just a matter of time. N_S's big mistake is being amongst the first ones to do it.
demonomania wrote:
Lich Coldheart wrote:

#1 should have never happened.

Fixed.

That's a stupid fix. He had his own opinion as a reviewer and had the right to express it. Of course, the last third of the review shouldn't be there (perhaps N_S will remove it one day, who knows?) but if it's just so damn offending to you why don't you write your own review to fix some of the 'damage' done by Napalm?

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:12 pm 

Lich Coldheart wrote:
He had his own opinion as a reviewer and had the right to express it.

Yes, he did. Just as everyone else has the right to express their opinions that it's utter dogshit. Simple as that.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:13 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Lich Coldheart wrote:
He had his own opinion as a reviewer and had the right to express it.

Yes, he did. Just as everyone else has the right to express their opinions that it's utter dogshit. Simple as that.

Right. You're doing the same thing you're criticizing him for. Well done. :roll:

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:16 pm 

Spoiler: show

macmoney wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:18 pm 

Glad to see Lich has become the nanny/Kindergarten teacher of the thread...

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:22 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Spoiler: show

Funny. :lol:
But I think it is you who missed my point. You see, worthless review (his) --> worthless opinion (yours).
Empyreal wrote:
Glad to see Lich has become the nanny/Kindergarten teacher of the thread...

Okay, I got the message. I've stated my point clear enough already so if 1000 posts are needed to express the same thing then so be it. I'm outta here. :nono:

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:40 pm 

The point is, people have the right to call me out if my opinion is dogshit as well, and I won't run away and cry. Opinions should be open to criticism; that does not make them all bad.

macmoney wrote:

Human_666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:44 pm 

Well, I haven't been in this forum for ages, I think I got banned some years ago for whatever reason... but, after accidentally reading Napalm_Satan's review and reading some of the recent pages in this topic I felt an unstoppable urge to come here and post this:

Dude, that was astonishing.
If I had a medal, I would give it to you.

I mean, when I was honestly bitching about how Fates Warning sucked in their second till fourth albums, people actually contemplated it was a mere act of trolling... :scratch:

But then you came, the mighty metal head born in the S&M era (no offense aye?) and you basically ripped of UltraBoris review and granted one of the most over reviewed albums in MA a rounded, fatty score with a perfectly ridiculous overlong essay that you are obviously wrote to receive the amount of comments you just recived because sometimes life are boring and lacks drama when you are 17 years old (again, no offense mate!) and there's nothing more satisfying than lowering the JavaScript numeric value of a classic album as much as you can!

My Troll-O-Meter has just gone BERSERK!!!!

You reminded me of Khaleesi in that review, ya know, drama queen is in.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:38 pm 

Review was pretty dumb, as others have pointed out. No real legitimate reasoning to rationalize such a negative review on an album that has a massive legacy.

I guess the lesson here is that if you're going to throw something under the bus, especially a record often regarded by many to be not only a masterpiece but one of the best heavy metal albums ever, you better be damn sure you know how to articulate your opinions. That review is how not to do it.

Obligatory Last FM Link

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:56 pm 

Woooooooooo! Reactionary reviewers unite!

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Metallica/Master_of_Puppets/547/Drummerboy25/336961

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:29 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:

Ahahah! I feel suddently the urge to play Wagner's ride of the valkyries! ..or not!

Master of Puppets it's like dinosaurs. You find people that think they were super cool cold blood killers, people who believe they were oversized pussy lizards, people who claim that they didn't really exist and Satan put their bones under the earth to fool mankind.. the only thing you can't deny is that they were BIG! :)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:04 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Master of Puppets it's like dinosaurs. You find people that think they were super cool cold blood killers, people who believe they were oversized pussy lizards, people who claim that they didn't really exist and Satan put their bones under the earth to fool mankind.. the only thing you can't deny is that they were BIG! :)

I just wanted to say that this might be one of the best posts I've ever read in here.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:24 pm 

Not defending Napalm's review here, but isn't saying that your review is being written especifically to contradict another one against the rules or something?

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:55 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Not defending Napalm's review here, but isn't saying that your review is being written especifically to contradict another one against the rules or something?

From what I recall, doing that tends to be strongly frowned upon, and I went back and edited my old review for the album a few years back to try and eliminate any references to other reviewers since the first draft of it that I submitted referenced 3 other reviews by name, something which I make a concerted effort to avoid doing.

Although my attitude towards MOP has mellowed a bit over the years, I still consider it Metallica's weakest 80s albums. I tended to agree with Ultraboris' sentiments on several points at the time and actually ended up scoring my review fairly close to say where he'd put it if he was scoring his review based on the musical content rather than his personal feelings about it. I understand why people love the album, it's well produced and it features a fair amount of impressive moments, but it's also woefully inconsistent and a number of the songs are way too repetitive. "...And Justice For All" had similar problems, but made up for it with a greater degree of attitude and cynicism, particularly in lyrical content.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:57 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

From what I recall, doing that tends to be strongly frowned upon

Yeah, but so is reviewing Master of Puppets. :(

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263 ... 520  Next