Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:59 am 

Haha...I figured it was something along the kooky lines of somewhat's face stoically puckered as if they just gulped a lemon, with their eyes crossed, or summat.
(token British linguilism there...)

But, thanks for the descript - I'll make sure to 'po it up in the upcoming future sometyme (review wise that is).

BTW That Kill 'Em All write-up yours today is absolute legend, a beast. Right on the dough. We should even just erase all the rest which came 'fore, as you verily nailed it, hands down. 'Nuff said.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:05 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Haha...I figured it was something along the kooky lines of somewhat's face stoically puckered as if they just gulped a lemon, with their eyes crossed, or summat.
(token British linguilism there...)

But, thanks for the descript - I'll make sure to 'po it up in the upcoming future sometyme (review wise that is).

BTW That Kill 'Em All write-up yours today is absolute legend, a beast. Right on the dough. We should even just erase all the rest which came 'fore, as you verily nailed it, hands down. 'Nuff said.

Hahaha are they all British colloquialisms you just listed in the last paragraph?

For the other readers, sorry for another Kill ‘Em All.

Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:24 am 

No need to excuse, wait until I start my completely superfluous Metallica Reviews, haha… by the way, good review from your side.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:16 am 

Well, to be fair, gaz, and not to (overly) toot my own whistle, either, I gleaned "absolute legend" from Amulet's rhythmic axman Marek, in an email saluting me for my knavish review of The Inevitable War (plus, the gang's shipping me a T-shirt, post haste. Now how cool is that, eh?! [Canadian colloquialism there, mind]).

Oh, I just noticed, according to your profile, you're broaching - what is it, again? - "metal freak" territory, methinks...(what nation is that last bit of linguistic coyness from, anyhow? It's certainly not Texan or Alabamian, I figure [wry emoj here!]).

p.s. At least I didn't utilize the oh-so corny and trite "Jolly good(e) show(, mate)!"

p.p.s. Those 2 latest by Klooseebah and Agronymf for that illegible Russian album/band (of shockingly old repute/legion) looks mighty toothsome...yet another to jolt down on the ole "must-glean-or-eat-crow" list.

And, aside from a surprise for twisted_psychology, I've one for gasmask, earmarked sometime over the weekend.

(hint: the former has "burning" connotations/tropes akin to two of my latest reviews whilst the latter involves doom/trad metal (tom)foolery a la Natur(e).

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:00 pm 

Sorry to welsh there, TP, but I am burnt out, review-wise as well as from daily running around like a rooster with its crepe cut off, but' fear not, as, succeeding a restorative break - the ole creative juices thirst 4 regenerative sluices - I shall duly fulfill said commitment(s) - that goes for your gift as well, gas! (prusten n ' preening emoj here)

Oh, man btw I just heard Quartz' Stand Up And Fight for the first time ever, and am mildly upset nobody has garnered it with anything higher than a 90% - on a similar level of fuming despondence I felt regarding Black Fate's ho-hum B- status 'till I stepped up to the plate...

It needs redemption, badly...a 92-94% feels about right (as rain.)

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:40 am 

gasmask_colostomy's review for Watchmaker's ' Erased from the Memory of Man' was both very accurate and one of the funniest reviews I've ever read. Absolutely prodigious work!!!

Thank you, you've made my Saturday a bit better.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:01 pm 

About to glean gc's latest, right after b-fast...have to say, it's a refreshing edit format, what with sequential listens and all.

(a waggish sort of write-up, if you will!)

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:09 pm 

Yes, Chairbrare (Brit slang for ‘mate’, minus the ‘Chair’), I’m about to be certified as a freak. Still not sure I needed that to be made official...

Lane, thanks for your kind words. It also made my Saturday better since I was at work while writing that. Rest assured, my actual wife is none the wiser about her appearance in the review.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:43 pm 

Cool bones, I've still 500 or so writes - more than I have now, mind! - to storm through 'fore I attain freaky-liness...it's certainly not a waggish process (or is it? haha!);

Regarding this hyped up offering to your effect, it involves a pink cover, everyone's favorite fallen (knavish) Angel, and...the F-word, so there, I verily gave it away...

But first, I've a long-sufferin', none-too-turgid(e) write up for a little something from Bell-jeek involving Fire and the color orange, in the stoner metal (garden) variety earmarked for our sagaciously doom-wizened Twisted_P...

[...] /*guffaws, chortles, smirks, etc*;

just finished your (when the) Watchmaker (strikes) review and particularly dug the none-too-savory bit about tapeworms and execution, and find "Therapeutic Dirt Nap" a highly sardonic title along similar lines as, say, my own stirred up, albeit hypothetically construed, (potential) song title, "Misanthropic Post-Mortem Subjugation"...
Or is that more of a hypo album moniker?

(po-faced yeemoj here!)

p.s. also just gleaned Tanuki's sci-fi-ish (if not odd and quirky) write-up for Maiden's Final Frontier...dug, with/like a lovin' spoonful, the Ashbury reference!

NoSoup4you22
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:43 pm 

That Iron Maiden review is the best I've read here.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:49 pm 

Duly, it was an original, as well as most genial, one...you should glean his Saxon-ite rundown from days of yore (I especially dug the one titled "Nudging Ram...".)

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:32 pm 

Gotta say that Tanuki’s deep space log (that sounds highly unsavoury) was the perfect turd to drop on The Final Frontier, and it’s a deserved criticism too. Nice.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:34 am 

Although said "deep space log" was a tad turgid, consider it one for the pages, much like Vile R.'s super sardonic take on Holo-cost.

Well, gas, today's the, I mean, your day, as far as b(l)ow-outs go...Keep a (pink) eye out for it!

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:50 am 

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate that. I had that review in the works for a while, but kept putting it off because I thought it'd be too out there. I've got to admit, checking out that nifty Watchmaker review convinced me to finish it, since it had similar formatting and chronology.

I legitimately laughed out loud at "deep space log".

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:48 am 

Tanuki wrote:
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate that. I had that review in the works for a while, but kept putting it off because I thought it'd be too out there. I've got to admit, checking out that nifty Watchmaker review convinced me to finish it, since it had similar formatting and chronology.

Brothers in bullshit :lol: Like two teenage girls, writing diaries about angry and confused men.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:12 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Tanuki wrote:

Brothers in bullshit :lol: Like two teenage girls, writing diaries about angry and confused men.

That's so true it hurts :lol:

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:32 pm 

The new Screamer ain't half bad, but I think I dig the new Night Screamer a tad more...Yaaaaaah!

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:33 pm 

- (random hankering assuaged!)

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:15 am 

Chair, I found Lucifer’s Fall and may yet (duly) glean it, but for the fact that I was a little upset to be sworn at by the title. You seem like a man blessed (and possessed) with spare time at the moment. A new situation, perchance?

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:35 am 

As an aside, it has taken me this long to realize that Thin Lizzy are on the Archives, and are criminally under-reviewed. No one has even mentioned they have a page, so I assumed they were classified as hard rock!

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:01 am 

You know it! (re, both Lucifer's Tumble and Skinny Lizz); yes, at the moment, say, since the end of September, have been wedged amidst, albeit in limbo (still), the greater netherzones of institutional meanderings out of which hope to land, feet up, like a cat, in a more liberal, as well as definitely un-kaotic, situation...

(Hence, duly catching up on some neglected review[ing] [t]a[r]ction!);

As for Thin Lizzy, you've just given me an urge to cover Live AnD Dangerous (as, according to Empath, have only written up one full-length thus far...which reminds me, is UFO here? Strangers in the Night is another great one, and not simply a referral to a swinger's club, or summat...[cheeky emoj here]).

Btw there might be another, five-pointed surprise due in today sometime...

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:30 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Btw there might be another, five-pointed surprise due in today sometime...

Pentagram!! And screw my intuition if it isn’t.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:15 am 

An, ahem, sagacious guess, considering I've the one LP - Sub-(de)Basement - left, alongside a couple of exalted compos which will eventually see the (blue) light of day...(I'm also quite smitten with live kicker A Keg Full of Dynamite, which, incidentally, was recorded, I believe, in '78, the year of my birff).

Now, I noticed there's some (adulating) buzz about this War Cloud installment...

Oh, and that Haunted Cenotaph review duly intrigued me; I dug the way it was written - auspicious, if not shudder-some, stuff!

(Question: Do our threads get shut down if we don't post on them after a while...I was looking for my Twisted New Band Submits entry, so either it is thus, or I'm simply too bone-headed to (re)locate it...reason being I ask, I can't stop [sinisterly] whispering "Whisteria Cottage*", as I amble about these hallowed halls...Chthonic Deity is another well-worded humdinger, mind!)

*Of course, it goes without saying that A.Fish fiend isn't at all deserving of a RIP mention!

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:12 am 

Pilgrim, eh? Weird I never heard of them before...will have to make a pilgrimage in its regards!

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:56 am 

And, yet, here I am already hankering for somebody to express fond (and/or irrelevant) musings, as well as sweet somethings, regarding the following wickedly albeit turgidly named MA newcomer/ensemble:

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/C ... .../798152

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:36 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
And, yet, here I am already hankering for somebody to express fond (and/or irrelevant) musings, as well as sweet somethings, regarding the following wickedly albeit turgidly named MA newcomer/ensemble:

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/C ... .../798152

I checked it out (because I couldn't not), randomly picked 'Taste the Dynamite', and was legitimately drawn in by that intro. Then one minute passed and I went from :nods: to :ugh:

I think one of the better low-budget underdog projects on bandcamp I've come across was Tyfon's Doom. I went overboard in my review (it was one of my earliest, in my defense) but Emperor's Path has some damn solid songwriting if you're into the whole Chevalier/Demon Bitch/Angel Sword style of metal. May rewrite it and knock it down a peg or two, though. That was back when I was giving out high 80's like candy.

Also, shoutout to my favorite unicorn for that stellar Xenomorph review. I loved every second of Empyreal Regimes, one of my all-time death metal favorites. Nice to see a sagacious write-up for it.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:00 pm 

Nice, Tyfon's Doom is pretty cool, and I too enjoyed that Xeno-dwarf review; at the moment, just perusing something sent to me my a good buddy in Montana...Zosted Kebulon, or summat*.

*new fetish werd/expression...

Oh, anybody need soap?

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Iv ... 3540459269

(today - where the #!@ did everybody go, here?)

that Longhouse review is king, btw...

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:35 pm 

Tanuki's new Intestine Baalism review is fantastic, and reminds me I should check them out more thoroughly sometime.

Gotta love that title and opening paragraph as well :lol:

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:08 am 

I still wonder what the actual muse to Intestine Baalism - what a name! - is like, but yeah, nice review...with some choice werds, I noticed!

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:15 am 

Great take on Fatal Feast, gas! I agree with everything, especially preferring Slime And Punishment! Maybe would grade it a liiiiiiittle higher but all the points are spot on.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:33 am 

Nice Bastardizer review, leaf; have you been twisted up by Bewitcher (also of P'ortland), yet?!

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:39 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Nice Bastardizer review, leaf; have you been twisted up by Bewitcher (also of P'ortland), yet?!

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... f95/348473

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:43 am 

Ha, weird, I actually scanned, for a split second, the reviews list for said album, but, somehow, my eyes missed your entry...so thanks for the proverbial re-steerage...82% sounds about right, but what's up with the Dick York quip?

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:01 pm 

The actor from the TV show Bewitched is named Dick York. I try to give my titles something funny, a play on words, reference to something else, etc.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:26 pm 

Is that that 60s black n' white one with Jeanie or what's her name? (on tip of tongue mind, but not [quite] salaciously so...)

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:15 pm 

That's the show, not sure of the name.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:24 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Tanuki's new Intestine Baalism review is fantastic, and reminds me I should check them out more thoroughly sometime.

Gotta love that title and opening paragraph as well :lol:

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
I still wonder what the actual muse to Intestine Baalism - what a name! - is like, but yeah, nice review...with some choice werds, I noticed!

Thanks guys! :D Yeah Chair, it really is a weird name; probably my least favorite thing about the band, to be honest. I think they should have stuck with their original name Euthanasia, but that's just me

I too enjoyed that Fatal Feast write-up; buckets of energy and cleanly delivered points. Gave me an itch to go listen to Municipal Waste again, in spite of my memories of Massive Aggressive

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:35 pm 

Apparently, Intestine Baalism refers to the practice of divination from animal intestines. The name itself is a tad awkward, but it's a perfect match for their sound, as it combines the guttural world of Carcass with a darker, more mysterious atmosphere. Nothing quite describes that marriage of aesthetics as aptly as some heretic ritual involving animal guts. But that's just me!

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:52 pm 

Tanuki's definitely amongst the best active reviewers nowadays. I, too, have an awkward relationship with melodeath... he never writes, he never calls etc etc.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:03 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Great take on Fatal Feast, gas! I agree with everything, especially preferring Slime And Punishment! Maybe would grade it a liiiiiiittle higher but all the points are spot on.

This is one of those examples where I’m “not allowed” to rate it any higher. You see, I rated Slime and Punishment at 79% because I criticized the way a lot of the songs follow a (great) formula and don’t offer much new, so I was then limited to less than 79% for Fatal Feast, since I had already declared my favourite. I was considering pushing them both up to low 80s, but it’s a question of me loving the style, not them being excellent.

Does anyone know what I mean, or am I just being ridiculous?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 394, 395, 396, 397, 398, 399, 400 ... 520  Next