Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Noktorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:27 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
Gotta give some props to Noktorn for his review of The Gallery.

Thanks. I think it could be better, though, and I could easily knock another 10 points off my rating. Maybe I'll redo it later, but I have more pressing ones to rewrite (have to redo my 'In Their Darkened Shrines' review somewhere in the 20s and more savage).

Member #1 of Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh Crew - Fuck off the musical black metal!

Sean16
Moody Tabulator of Torn Hymens

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:58 pm 

I've the impression Noktorn is getting very popular these days. Could it be that anyone wants to get a free little release to review? :D

However, if I had to recommend a review, it would rather be this (quite old, by the way) review for Reverend Bizarre's Crush the Insects by Abominatrix. I was considering writing a review for this album, but after having read Abominatrix's work I realized little remained to be added. Without mentioning his analysis may be long, but remains nonetheless devoid of any ill-sounding pretension. Take example, people.

Bash
Talking Meat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:01 pm 

Sean16 wrote:
However, if I had to recommend a review, it would rather be this (quite old, by the way) review for Reverend Bizarre's Crush the Insects by Abominatrix. I was considering writing a review for this album, but after having read Abominatrix's work I realized little remained to be added. Without mentioning his analysis may be long, but remains nonetheless devoid of any ill-sounding pretension. Take example, people.

Ditto.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:48 pm 

Sean16 wrote:
I've the impression Noktorn is getting very popular these days. Could it be that anyone wants to get a free little release to review? :D

Thanks, both of you. That's definitely one of my more concise works, and I didn't even mention "Eternal Forest", which passed me by back then but has become one of my favourite Reverend songs.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:59 am 

Most of the best write somewhat infrequently (if I had a face it would turned in your direction, Abominatrix), unfortunately, though some are more regular than others, such as Cheese_Priced.

Speaking of which:

Look.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

fluffy_ferret
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:53 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Thanks, both of you. That's definitely one of my more concise works, and I didn't even mention "Eternal Forest", which passed me by back then but has become one of my favourite Reverend songs.

And the best one i've read from you is for Root's 'Temple In the Underworld' -- amazing job!
I'm pretty sure that album is never going to see another review. Who wants to be compared to that?

requiem99
The Buddhist Killbot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:52 pm 

fluffy_ferret wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:

And the best one i've read from you is for Root's 'Temple In the Underworld' -- amazing job!
I'm pretty sure that album is never going to see another review. Who wants to be compared to that?

It's too long for me -- 2100 words!? No album needs that much text for a review, I don't think my longest ones (which are also too long) are even half that long.

I like Sargon's review of the Root album better (at metalcrypt). I also have had a review of that album turning around for almost a year now, I should finish it. Root is just such a complex band their stuff takes forever to get a complete grasp of.

fluffy_ferret
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:32 am 

You're right, as a review it's too difficult and long for most people...
but as a text, it's so fucking well-written.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:10 pm 

Ozzy Apu's Lord Belial review is certainly an interesting read. Very abstract and intelligent.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:12 am 

requiem99 wrote:
fluffy_ferret wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:

It's too long for me -- 2100 words!? No album needs that much text for a review, I don't think my longest ones (which are also too long) are even half that long.

I like Sargon's review of the Root album better (at metalcrypt). I also have had a review of that album turning around for almost a year now, I should finish it. Root is just such a complex band their stuff takes forever to get a complete grasp of.

Yeah, it is a bit of a long one, but there are definitely longer by far on teh site. There are some albums that I love that only need a concise treatment .. but this isn't one of them.

Noktorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:40 am 

It depends on what you write for. It goes back to the whole issue of review as buying guide vs. review as essay.

Member #1 of Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh Crew - Fuck off the musical black metal!

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:06 pm 

Noktorn wrote:
It depends on what you write for. It goes back to the whole issue of review as buying guide vs. review as essay.

Absolutely. if anyone deserves an essay though, it's Root. The whole package needs to be discussed, not just the sound of the music.

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:55 am 

The latest from NausikaDalazBlindaz is solid.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=147244
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:56 am 

Gutterscream wrote:
The latest from NausikaDalazBlindaz is solid.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=147244

Seems to have been deleted.

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:58 am 

I posted the recommendation before actually accepting it, which was about a 20 second interlude - man you're fast. It's there now.
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:03 am 

Gutterscream wrote:
I posted the recommendation before actually accepting it, which was about a 20 second interlude - man you're fast. It's there now.

I just happened to see it as I came to this page. :p

Now I see it. Yes, it is quite a nice review.

Muloc7253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:44 pm 

Evil_Sock_Puppet's Trivium review is pretty good.

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:50 pm 

I found myself cracking up at the new Underoath review.

Reaper43
Painsponge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:42 pm 

Ah that was good for a laugh.

Cheeses_Priced
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:25 pm 

Muloc has written a whole mass of short, clear reviews in the past month or two that I've just now noticed. And apparently deleted some old ones?

MushroomStamp deserves some praise, if he hasn't gotten any yet. Surely he is the only reviewer who would use the phrase "the slightly Lego-like distortion quality of the guitar."

Don't think anyone's mentioned Frankingstein yet. Long, high-quality. Possibly 'OlympicSharpshooter-esque'.

Nile577 wrote the 'Deathcult For Eternity' review that I would if I could be bothered.

Muloc7253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:41 pm 

Cheeses_Priced wrote:
Muloc has written a whole mass of short, clear reviews in the past month or two that I've just now noticed. And apparently deleted some old ones?

When Cheeses_Priced recommends your reviews you know you gotta be doing something right :D

Thanks man, I have deleted a few of my older ones - mainly because either my opinion changes or I just plain didn't like the review looking back. The only exception is the review of the Burzum debut. I really tried to convey exactly how the album made me felt but I just couldn't sum it up, and it came out way too fanboyish. Have you ever considered reviewing that album? I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

Also, quite an old one, but Bloodstone's Within Temptation review was a great read.

LORD_VAG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:28 am 

Dark_Mewtwo1 's Job for cowboy review was a nice read but sort of off topic at times

Cheeses_Priced
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:32 pm 

Muloc7253 wrote:
Thanks man, I have deleted a few of my older ones - mainly because either my opinion changes or I just plain didn't like the review looking back. The only exception is the review of the Burzum debut. I really tried to convey exactly how the album made me felt but I just couldn't sum it up, and it came out way too fanboyish. Have you ever considered reviewing that album? I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

The Burzum review is the one that I noticed gone right off. I don't like a lot of my old reviews, but personally I just leave 'em. I don't even bother to correct grammar errors. Or factual errors!

I don't know what I'd say about s/t + Aske. I'd be more likely to review Hvis Lyset Tar Oss.

Bash
Talking Meat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:24 pm 

I enjoyed caspians Hellig Usvart review. It gives something of a different perspective, in relation to Nightgaunts superb review, as to why the album sucks.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:26 pm 

Gutterscream and those 'album covers'. :roll:

~Guest 3496
Exterminator 666 Does Not Answer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:29 pm 

Why the eye roll?

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:32 pm 

It was the only 'smirk-like' smiley I could find I guess.

IE its hilarious.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:56 am 

Bash wrote:
I enjoyed caspians Hellig Usvart review. It gives something of a different perspective, in relation to Nightgaunts superb review, as to why the album sucks.

Thanks. It seems that both my and Nightgaunts review have the same view on why it's bad, but we're both approaching it from the exact opposite prespective, if you know what I mean. (ie. Nightgaunt being black metal fan, me being the Christian Apologist or whatever).

Also, mad props to Nightgaunt for his review. It's probably my favourite review on the archives, really well written, very informative and knowledgeable without being all 'look at me' and super pretentious.

Muloc7253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:46 am 

I also enjoyed the Horde review. I do need to get round to writing a positive review for that album though, I like it a lot.

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:51 am 

PriestofSadWings has finally said the truth about Awaken the Guardian.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:06 am 

Peregrin wrote:

That review made me feel strange because about two years ago, or maybe even less, I probably would have said nearly exactly the same thing. But now? It's one of those albumss that was just sitting around, waiting for the right moment to click .. I always enjoyed a couple of the songs but didn't quite see why it was raved about so. It took the right atmosphere (I'd just finished my first reading of Poe's "The Pit and the Pendulum" and a nice big bowl) and "The SOrceress" finally transported me, and I listened to the entire thing, and for the first time felt like playing it through a second time. It was "Fata Morgana" that really blew my mind and made me really realise what a stunning, gorgeously beautiful album ATG is if one only is able to unlock its hermetic quirkiness. I don't know how many people really feel it on first listen or how many just go with the crowd in saying how wonderful it is without sinking into it fully, but it's difficult for me to imagine anybody really getting it even after four or five spins.

Ok, enough reminiscing. It was good to get this perspective from Priestofsadwings, anyway, and it reminded me of why I used to find this record so perplexing.

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:24 pm 

Fata Morgana is actually one of the two songs on that album that I do like, the other being Exodus. (I kinda like the main riff of Valley of the Dolls, but the rest of the song is rather poorly composed)

Can't understand why it was The Sorceress which made it click with you, though... that song is approximately ten times boring as a song which borrows the main riff from Children of the Grave has any right to be.

Then again, Rush and Yes bore me to sleep, so it's probably not that odd that I'd any day of the week take Into Battle over Awaken the Guardian even if Jim Matheos can play rings around Bobbie Wright. The key is that there are several different ways music can work - and while I concede that Awaken the Guardian is a thing of beauty from a composer's point of view, more well-thought out than most other albums in its genre, it's just not very emotionally engaging at all. (I was about to use the term "entertaining" but that probably gives the wrong associations when used in this context)

I know, I have terribly lowbrow taste in USPM. :P

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:16 pm 

Peregrin wrote:
Fata Morgana is actually one of the two songs on that album that I do like, the other being Exodus. (I kinda like the main riff of Valley of the Dolls, but the rest of the song is rather poorly composed)

Can't understand why it was The Sorceress which made it click with you, though... that song is approximately ten times boring as a song which borrows the main riff from Children of the Grave has any right to be.

Then again, Rush and Yes bore me to sleep, so it's probably not that odd that I'd any day of the week take Into Battle over Awaken the Guardian even if Jim Matheos can play rings around Bobbie Wright. The key is that there are several different ways music can work - and while I concede that Awaken the Guardian is a thing of beauty from a composer's point of view, more well-thought out than most other albums in its genre, it's just not very emotionally engaging at all. (I was about to use the term "entertaining" but that probably gives the wrong associations when used in this context)

I know, I have terribly lowbrow taste in USPM. :P

Oi, you know exactly how I feel about Brocas Helm. But they're an entirely different beast.

Why was it "The Sorceress"? I think it was the Poe story, in part, coupled with the lyrics .. they seemed to go together really well and it made me think of a possible subtext for Poe's story. Not that they're now inextricably linked in my mind, but it was the connection that was waiting to be made. I couldn't agree less about the emotional content of this album ... it is the emotionalism of the piece (especially Arch's singing) that is so spellbinding. The progressive qualities are subtle and the feeling never seems sacrificed for the strange vocal/drum interplay (Zimmerman is quite underrated!), unlike some other bands classed as "prog metal" who've made quite a name for themselves. I guess it is pretty subjective as I enjoy some Rush stuff from the 70s and a few Yes albums and I don't think either are cases of cold, detached progressive music... Emerson, Lake and Palmer, maybe, but I enjoy them too in spurts.

Now I've got to go home and listen to "Awaken the Guardian".

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:26 pm 

WallsOfJericho's Ziltoid review pretty much sums up everything I would've said about it. Short and to the point, and it works.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:07 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
WallsOfJericho's Ziltoid review pretty much sums up everything I would've said about it. Short and to the point, and it works.

That's what I thought, too. Not much of the music itself, but damn, he hits the nail on the head with a might wrecking ball from Hell.

requiem99
The Buddhist Killbot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:51 am 

You've got to be kidding me. "Takes it's self to seriously"? That is exactly 5 words in the header and already we see two grammar mistakes. This is what you recommend?

Bash
Talking Meat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:52 am 

Heh, I was surprised that thing was even accepted.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:31 am 

http://metal-archives.com/review.php?id=160652#147

Instant recommendation of first UltraBoris review in almost two years.

~Guest 18743
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:35 am 

Bloodstone wrote:
http://metal-archives.com/review.php?id=160652#147

Instant recommendation of first UltraBoris review in almost two years.

Damn, I was gonna post something about that.
But yeah, that's fucking awesome

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:39 am 

Fail. Oven fodder.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 520  Next