Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:21 am 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Damn, Kill Em All just hit 30 reviews.... Any mods know which album has the most reviews in the entire archives? Just curious.

A full list is available under the site statistics...
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:25 am 

Didn't expect Bayern to review that Shadowseeds album. While I'm not sure whether I'd compare this to Dark Millennium or BMD Katatonia (this album has riffs, you know! :p) it really is one of a kind. It would have benefited from a harsh vocalist though - because the vocals really are pretty poor, unfortunately.

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:37 am 

I'd say that Psycho pretty much summed up why Metallica's Lightning is so good, and frankly, the reasons why it's their best opus... I'd just add that while 'Bells Toll' is riff light, Pyscho eludes to the fact that this and other songs have enough atmosphere to carry them–I'll include 'Escape' in that. And, Lars' simple drumming, while not enhancing, doesn't noticeably ruin songs.

Also, liking the Nightmare Logic reviews; I'm telling anyone I know, who's into metal, that they should check out Power Trip.

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:49 am 

Yes, Psycho N. severely did Metallica's Ride the Lightning justice...and now today, knocked one out of the park with his spot-on write-up for Master of Puppets, in the process silencing its gainsayers for eternity! When's his next Metallica instalment due i.e. doing justice to And Justice For All?...
Thus, it's always nice to see the classics receive a diligent and fresh make-over in such fashion.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:51 am 

Oh, and have heard many great things about Nightmare Logic's Power Trip, so am definitely shuffling it to the top of my listening short (long) list!
My nostalgia recommendation for the time being has to be Cerebus' Too Late to Pray - there's a nice ode to streetwalkin' on it too in "Easy Money"!

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:42 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Yes, Psycho N. severely did Metallica's Ride the Lightning justice...and now today, knocked one out of the park with his spot-on write-up for Master of Puppets, in the process silencing its gainsayers for eternity! When's his next Metallica instalment due i.e. doing justice to And Justice For All?...
Thus, it's always nice to see the classics receive a diligent and fresh make-over in such fashion.

Yes, I sawthe Puppets review, however, I see it as the slightly weaker clone, with a little bit of bloating and some melodic sections which are disassociated; still, a 'classic' album, even with its flaws.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:49 pm 

Agreed, Ride the Lightning has more of a genial touch of authenticity whereas MoPs (haha!) is a little disjointed at times; and while I love Hammett's high-flying solo on "Orion", how many more aspiring guitarists need to re-hash the riff to the title track? I'm looking forward to Psychoticnikolai's views on AJfA as it's a very controversial album. For the record, my fav Metallica album is Kill 'Em All, possibly because I lean more towards the Megadeth camp and that most of the songs were written by Dave Mustaine...

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:22 pm 

Justice is my favorite of theirs, therefor I look forward to that one as well.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:58 pm 

An ... And Justice for All review that doesn't mention Dyers Eve... wtf?
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:52 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Agreed, Ride the Lightning has more of a genial touch of authenticity whereas MoPs (haha!) is a little disjointed at times; and while I love Hammett's high-flying solo on "Orion", how many more aspiring guitarists need to re-hash the riff to the title track? I'm looking forward to Psychoticnikolai's views on AJfA as it's a very controversial album. For the record, my fav Metallica album is Kill 'Em All, possibly because I lean more towards the Megadeth camp and that most of the songs were written by Dave Mustaine...

Psychoticnikolai delivers the Justice For All review; his writing style and descriptions are really good. I'm all for KEA and RTL, with the decline beginning around the Puppets era. Most of that KEA riff set was introduced by Mustaine, and he reuses or paraphrases some of that style throughout Megadeth's career. It's impressive that Mustaine contributed so much with Metallica, and still had about 2/3 (in '84) of Megadeth's first 3 albums already in the works.

Last edited by ~Guest 414160 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:35 am 

I will agree with the main two flaws that he mentioned in the Justice review, it's just that neither of them mattered enough to me to bring it down because what IS there is incredible. In my eyes, the only thrash records to top it are Megadeth - Rust in Peace, and Overkill - The Years of Decay.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:43 am 

psychoticnikolai pretty much nailed it again with AJfA...I dig the following in particular:

"...like the stalking trudging of "Harvester of Sorrow"..." (good one!)

and in the last paragraph:

"It's still a commendable effort and it's flaws don't change the fact that it's composed well, and a damn solid collection of thrashers that have all the sway of skyscrapers in an earthquake."

I also really dug his erudite write-up of Sepultura's Schizophrenia...

Now, at the risk of wearing the egg (or tomato), I happened to enjoy Metallica's Death Magnetic, likely my favourite post Ride the Lightning album...

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:14 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
psychoticnikolai pretty much nailed it again with AJfA...I dig the following in particular:

"...like the stalking trudging of "Harvester of Sorrow"..." (good one!)

and in the last paragraph:

"It's still a commendable effort and it's flaws don't change the fact that it's composed well, and a damn solid collection of thrashers that have all the sway of skyscrapers in an earthquake."

I also really dug his erudite write-up of Sepultura's Schizophrenia...

Now, at the risk of wearing the egg (or tomato), I happened to enjoy Metallica's Death Magnetic, likely my favourite post Ride the Lightning album...

I think I called 'Harvester' 'dark and menacing', and his analogy was pretty cool. Death Magnetic is 'Deafeningly Moronic'. If only it was 45 minutes, with a great production.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:52 am 

At first I was game, not I'm just gamy (more eggs please!);

is Death Magnetic really that bad...it had a cool, liberating I don't give a fuck-ism sort of vibe to me which made sense at the time...

Creaking Chair

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:21 am 

There's a band called 'x box murder'..

Pyscho's running through the Metallica discography, so it'll be Load next, and I can already imagine an unfavourable review.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:16 pm 

Another enterprising and swell discography run down is Tanuki's take on Saxon...

Oh, yeah, saw the X Box Murder band name...still trying to decide if I like the moniker or not!

Well, another great emotionally descriptive 'view by NausikaDalazBlindaz for Au-Dessus (On Top if you will) - she real has flair when it comes to pointing out atmosphere...

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:08 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Another enterprising and swell discography run down is Tanuki's take on Saxon...

Thanks very much Chair! I'm hoping to wrap it up just in time for Thunderbolt! Funnily enough I'd been listening to a bunch of NWOBHM, and I randomly stumbled on your Tank reviews. Those are some really great reads, everyone should go check them out. Really in-depth musical description but with plenty of personality and comedy as well!

I've also been digging this Metallica retrospective. Objective and precise, I think he really nailed the black album. Wonder if he's planning on reviewing Garage Inc.?

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:37 pm 

Thrilled you saw my post Tanuki, I find your reviews descriptive, jocular and chock full of snazzy words...(especially dug "stentorian" from one of your latest Saxon instalments!)...

Great job on the Saxography - I always liked them, notably Denim and Leather (can you believe I've a friend back East called Saxon? Haha, he says his claim to fame is being named after the NWOBHM purveyors!)

Also, thanks for the Tank praise, I really got into the swing of things writing those, and also felt The Filth Hounds of Hades wasn't properly done justice.
I really should try and review for NWOBHM, I've Angel Witch's debut and Traitor's Gate's 1985 EP collecting dust in my drafts box; I should shuffle them to the top!

Oh, and I've a surprise for the 19th, the official release date of Lechery's latest, We Are All Born Evil; it''s kick-ass "taut n' stout" meat & potatoes metal from Sweden formed in the tradition of the Accept, Manowar, Judas Priest and Saxon...I wish I could post it now but I've gotta wait!

In the meantime, I put Saxon's Unleash The Beast at the top of my listening list...

Chairs!

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:41 pm 

Forgot to mention, yes a review for Garage Days would be cool...I wonder if Metallica itself will chance upon psycho's anthology. It would behoove them, ha!

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:29 am 

Holy shit, a review of Load that actually acknowledges the influence that bands like Kyuss and COC had on it. The fuck is this sorcery?

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:16 pm 

Thanks again for the nice words Chair! I'd love to hear your thoughts on Angel Witch, that album just blows my mind. Just checked out your True Witness review too, those guitar descriptions made my mouth water. Never heard of the band but it definitely sounds like my cup of tea :beer:

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:50 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:

I've been reading Tanuki's rundowns as well. The last reviews I ever did were Saxon ones and but I never bothered to go earlier or later (despite wanting to finish off the semi-series with Unleash the Beast). Now I could just read his and get the gist of what I wanted to say myself.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:16 am 

I always respected autothrall for the number of his reviews, but now I also worship him for his short, concise sentences:

I guess a general way to describe the sound here is a primitive, roots, thundering black metal akin to Finland's Barathrum interspersed with pure OSDM tremolo picked passages and then bursts of acceleration that move into a Canadian war metal terrain, with the added nuance of some memorable dissonant breaks in what would generally prove a familiar series of chord patterns, that don't exactly grow tired here, but also don't really thrill on an individual level.

(taken from the Vhorthax review).

Simply great! :-)

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:24 pm 

To quote Roy Peter Clark (the Director of the Pointdexter Institute for Journalism), "Fear not the long sentence" (Embrace it!);

another gem I hold dear is "Words are loaded pistols", dead-panned by Jean-Paul Sartre...

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:47 pm 

Really surprised to see a Forces at Work review, and I agree with bayern; that Reverse Feng​-​Shui Audio Guide demo is easily the best thing they did. Pretty unusual stuff.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:03 pm 

SSS's musical content withstanding, gasmask_C's snippy write-up for its latest does a fine job of executing said hyper-caffeinated pirouettes.
I particularly dig (like a house cat tidying its litter box after a leisurely squat) the following, closing/humdinging line:

"All the same, this is a barbed wire espresso flying hot off the streets and in through your open window with all the impact of a brick. That’s a good thing by the way." (!!!).

Elephantine Chair.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:10 pm 

Oh, Tanuki's latest Saxview is pretty ribald and fun too...dig:

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... uki/398925

(esp. appreciated the Riot V Army of One reference!).

Simply CHair

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:22 pm 

Guys, I know this is basically shooting fish in a barrel, but since when does Power Trip sound like Voivod: https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... eba/238242

Also, never forget that an album being a little over half an hour in length is a bad thing!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:06 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Also, never forget that an album being a little over half an hour in length is a bad thing!

Aw man he even says that because it's "not good value for the money".

No. Did you forget the 90s already? When seemingly every album was pushing 70 minutes with like eight terrible filler songs that fucked up the overall package? Fuck outta here with that nonsense.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:16 am 

Cripes, if y'all want good laugh, dig Psycho's N. latest Metallica slag review for Lulu! It's too much! What a tear jerker...Sadly, I know of this musical fiasco/train wreck...Ignorance in this case can be bliss!

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:35 am 

You can say what you like but albums that only have a running time of thirty minutes only work in two particular cases for me. First of all, it might fit to very specific genres with short tracks such as punk rock, hardcore or grindcore. Secondly, if a record is that short and doesn't fit those categories, all tracks must be killers or at least come very close which might be the case for albums like Slayer's Reign in Blood that are great the way they are. The new Power Trip doesn't fit into either category. If you release such a short record that isn't constantly spot on or focusing on short tracks, it's something that bothers me. I'm not willing to pay fifteen bucks for just above thirty minutes of good average music. That doesn't mean that I think records with running times of sixty minutes with half of the record being terrible fillers is better but I'm sure that a band that takes four years between two albums can do better than coming around with only half an hour of new material. Looks somewhat lazy to me.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:00 am 

Lazy? I don't think so. I'd like to think of it as quality control. I'd rather listen to 30 minutes of relentlessly awesome stuff (and the new Power Trip is kickass, though I see that you don't quite agree) than 45 minutes with 10-15 minutes worth of filler.

It does work for some genres better, as you said, but I'd argue that a lot of thrash (especially the aggressive, in-your face stuff and crossover thrash) falls into that category as well. You can argue it's not value for money, and that is true for some, probably. But for me, I don't mind. That is, as long as the material is consistently kick-ass.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:09 am 

I'd also prefer a 35-40 album of non-stop quality, rather than 55 minutes, with bloated and filler songs.

Kluseba's review of Power Trip mirrors my own sentiments, as does Psycho's for Deafeningly Moronic, and a mention for Gasmask's review of Testament's, The Ritual; the first paragraph kind of sums up Testament. The way I'm reading it, they have released some good material, although, there's no stratospheric album.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:27 pm 

kluseba wrote:
You can say what you like but albums that only have a running time of thirty minutes only work in two particular cases for me. First of all, it might fit to very specific genres with short tracks such as punk rock, hardcore or grindcore.

Well, Power Trip is a hardcore band at heart soooooo...
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:39 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

Aw man he even says that because it's "not good value for the money".

No. Did you forget the 90s already? When seemingly every album was pushing 70 minutes with like eight terrible filler songs that fucked up the overall package? Fuck outta here with that nonsense.

Nightmare Logic on CD is currently available for $8.99 on Amazon. Yeah, whole lot of wasted money there.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:52 pm 

As far as half hour releases falling short, check out Demon Eye's first couple of releases for evidence to the contrary. That said, I'm a firm adherent to quality over quantity any day!

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:08 pm 

Since I saw the band in concert, I can tell you that the album was more expensive than the 8,99$ on Amazon someone mentioned here. I just checked the price on the German Amazon website and it's 19,65 Euro. I would certainly buy it if I saw it for 8,99$ though. Still, I don't get the hype around this album which is certainly good but not the high-quality material some people claim.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:21 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
As far as half hour releases falling short, check out Demon Eye's first couple of releases for evidence to the contrary. That said, I'm a firm adherent to quality over quantity any day!

Absolutely this. Some of my favorite albums of all time barely hit the thirty minute mark. I could see being disappointed in a thirty minute or less doom or trad. metal album, but crossover/thrash and speed metal type bands usually sound best when not overcooking or fluffing the album length. I'd much rather a band churn out twenty minutes of good stuff and call it day instead of churning out twenty minutes of good stuff padded with twenty minutes of utter filler shite. But, hey, kluseba, if you like wading through tons of subpar music just so you feel like you got your money's worth, more power to you.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:13 pm 

I'm definitely in the "Power Trip is a tad bit overrated" camp ("Executioner's Tax" is the only song I really remember), I wouldn't score it higher than 80% myself but I don't care much for nowadays thrash metal anyway. But that being said, only a very small handful of thrash metal albums can get away with being longer than 40 minutes.

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:21 pm 

Congratulations to Psychoticnicholai for the full Metallica studio album discography. The reviews start out good, with plenty of enthusiasm, then by the Black album, and henceforth, you can just sense that the initial enthusiasm turns to indifference and despondency. Metallica might have just been rubbish for more than a quarter of a century, which is bonkers!

And, Power Trip was £8 ($11) on AmazonUK, and £12 at the local HMV store, which is reasonable. Hardwired is still £18 (£25) at the local HMV. I swear, Metallica didn't create a double album for artistic reasons, and there's other reasons motivating having a double disc.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327 ... 520  Next