Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Falconsbane
Worthless troll

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:40 am 

Fireaxe take some pretty disparate elements and forge their own style with them. It's not patische like Megadeth.

ThrashGordon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:35 am 

It was a well written review even if I disagreed with 90% of it. Still I'm hardly going to get my panties in a bunch as it is interesting to read a review that isn't a complete Mustaine fellate session (though if I write a RIP review it no doubt would be...).

I find it interesting though that such a negative review was written after this post only days ago...

MetalTyrant wrote:
DeathFog wrote:
Rust in peace would be a good choice, the album gets too much attention and too good feedback.

Agreed. 23 reviews and only 3 of them give the album a score lower than 90.

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:32 pm 

Falconsbane wrote:
Fireaxe take some pretty disparate elements and forge their own style with them.

It is still impossible to deny that Brian Voth wears his musical influences (most notably early Fate's Warning) on his sleeves.

ThrashGordon wrote:
I find it interesting though that such a negative review was written after this post only days ago...

MetalTyrant wrote:
DeathFog wrote:
Rust in peace would be a good choice, the album gets too much attention and too good feedback.

Explains itself, doesn't it?

Falconsbane
Worthless troll

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:59 pm 

So does Averse Sefira, but they're still making music that is uniquely theirs. Having an influence isn't the same as aping a style.

SadWings
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:40 am 

ThrashGordon wrote:

MetalTyrant wrote:
DeathFog wrote:

I thought of that post when I checked the reviews this morning and saw that RIP review. I certainly did not post that to encourage anyone to write a negative review of that album. I just thought some of the redundant positive reviews could've been removed. I don't really care about Falco's review either way. I disagree with most of it (with perhaps the exception of the production) but this has happened many, many times (Master of Puppets, Number of the Beast, Painkiller, Black Metal) and I wasn't surprised to see RIP get the treatment.

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:55 am 

MetalTyrant wrote:
I disagree with most of it (with perhaps the exception of the production) but this has happened many, many times (Master of Puppets, Number of the Beast, Painkiller, Black Metal) and I wasn't surprised to see RIP get the treatment.

Now that you brought up Master of Puppets, I am starting to really, really wonder why UltraBoris' negative review of With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness has not caused the slightest stir amongst the thesaurus-readers...

ThrashGordon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:07 am 

Peregrin wrote:
MetalTyrant wrote:
I disagree with most of it (with perhaps the exception of the production) but this has happened many, many times (Master of Puppets, Number of the Beast, Painkiller, Black Metal) and I wasn't surprised to see RIP get the treatment.

Now that you brought up Master of Puppets, I am starting to really, really wonder why UltraBoris' negative review of With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness has not caused the slightest stir amongst the thesaurus-readers...

I love Boris's MOP review simply because I feel the same way but I can never find anyone to agree with me.

The title track is one of the truly great epics of 80's thrash while Battery, Disposable Heroes and Damage INC. are all above average thrashers but the rest of the album is balls yet it is hailed as Satan's gift to metal. When it is barely among the top albums released that year and the worst of Metallica's thrash era.

Falconsbane
Worthless troll

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:52 am 

Peregrin wrote:
MetalTyrant wrote:

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the "thesaurus-readers" aren't insecure fuckwits who tie their sense of self-worth to the music they listen to? That and that fact that it's tough to get bent out of shape over the opinion of someone whose idea of good music is "It has riffs, man!"

Cheeses_Priced
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:55 pm 

Falconsbane wrote:
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the "thesaurus-readers" aren't insecure fuckwits who tie their sense of self-worth to the music they listen to?

Oh, I'd say that varies on a case-to-case basis.

You should really consider writing some good reviews of normal metal, if only for calibration purposes. People are going to think you just hate singing.

Falconsbane
Worthless troll

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:40 pm 

Cheeses_Priced wrote:
You should really consider writing some good reviews of normal metal, if only for calibration purposes. People are going to think you just hate singing.

I don't hate singing at all, I just tend to have little use for rock 'n roll cliches dressed up as metal, which tends to be part and parcel of most 'normal' metal. What I really hate is repeating what's already been said, and most of the 'normal' metal albums I enjoy have already been adequately reviewed by others. Where I have nothing to add to the conversation, I just stay out.

Cheeses_Priced
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:56 pm 

Falconsbane wrote:
[What I really hate is repeating what's already been said, and most of the 'normal' metal albums I enjoy have already been adequately reviewed by others. Where I have nothing to add to the conversation, I just stay out.

The thing is, a lot of these criticisms you level at these classic albums could apparently be turned around and fired at any number of other albums, that I take it you really do consider to be classics. So exactly why Fireaxe doesn't suck even though RiP does, for instance, would appear to be worth a discussion.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:29 pm 

It's a discussion for another thread. This one is getting too far off-track.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:16 pm 

Cheeses_Priced wrote:
Falconsbane wrote:
[What I really hate is repeating what's already been said, and most of the 'normal' metal albums I enjoy have already been adequately reviewed by others. Where I have nothing to add to the conversation, I just stay out.

The thing is, a lot of these criticisms you level at these classic albums could apparently be turned around and fired at any number of other albums, that I take it you really do consider to be classics. So exactly why Fireaxe doesn't suck even though RiP does, for instance, would appear to be worth a discussion.

It is much easier to shrug off criticisms of Fireaxe with "you just don't get it" than criticisms of Megadeth.

And there you have it.

Falconsbane
Worthless troll

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:33 pm 

The difference between a band that takes an obvious influence and fashions from that influence its own interpretive voice -- a voice developed and expanded across several albums worth of work -- and a band that releases a single album where songs jump aimlessly from one "influence" to another without adding anything significant to them should be obvious.

SadWings
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:43 am 

Getting back on topic, Gutterscream's review of The Gathering's Always is excellent. I'm a fan of the band and own all the Anneke era albums, but I don't have Always. I'll have to get it.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=3348#29772

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:10 pm 

Speaking of Fireaxe, jaevlasvensk's review of A Dream of Death is very recommendable because it does neither praise Fireaxe to the high heavens nor bash the band totally and that the review also recognizes that execution is just as important as concept.

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:47 am 

sperma_draconis' review of What do you think of the Old God, we call him Judas? by Reverorum ib Malacht is also highly worthy of reading. If the demo in question is anywhere as good as the review, then it must be either something extraordinarily good.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:51 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=14576#25436

Napero's new work is as ambitious as his best stuff, and more cogent and cohesive than usual. Excellent piece.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:10 pm 

Keep an eye out for DoomRock. He's done a bunch of very good, and rather concise, reviews in the last little bit.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:49 pm 

DragonForce - Inhuman Rampage

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=96901#60463

Informative, extremely well-written, many great points made...the only possible complaint I have is the word "arse" being obscured, which is a little silly, but otherwise it's all-around excellent.

SadWings
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:15 pm 

OlympicSharpshooter's new Opeth review is excellent, probably the best Opeth review I've read on the site.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:36 pm 

PGKs new Akercocke review is reccomended for inducing a headache. :p
http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=93314#4115
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:00 am 

MetalTyrant wrote:
OlympicSharpshooter's new Opeth review is excellent, probably the best Opeth review I've read on the site.

Indeed. And while you're at it, read the next one by Cheeses_Priced, too. I haven't heard the album in question, but together the two gentlemen really put in writing many things I've thought about while listening to Blackwater Park, for example.

In other news, in an unexpected flash of intelligence I finally figured out how brilliant the username "Cheeses_Priced" actually is. :lol:

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:01 am 

Napero wrote:
In other news, in an unexpected flash of intelligence I finally figured out how brilliant the username "Cheeses_Priced" actually is. :lol:

Because of that dude I now occasionally use that name instead of Christ's as an expletive.

SadWings
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:10 pm 

Napero wrote:
MetalTyrant wrote:

Indeed. And while you're at it, read the next one by Cheeses_Priced, too. I haven't heard the album in question, but together the two gentlemen really put in writing many things I've thought about while listening to Blackwater Park, for example.

Yeah, that's another excellent review. I bought Blackwater Park a couple years ago because of the hype surrounding the band. There are individual riffs and sections of songs that I like quite a bit, but as a whole the album does not hold my interest and I haven't had the desire to get any more of their albums. Both of those reviews make a lot of points I agree with about the band. If I were to review BWP my score would probably fall somewhere between the scores given by those two reviewers. I can respect the fact that the band has talent even though they aren't the geniuses a lot of people make them out to be.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:50 pm 

I don't think BWP suffers from quite the same problems as Morningrise. I'm not too fond of it, but it's worlds more tuneful than the incredibly messy Morningrise. My Opeth choice remains Still Life which manages to be relatively coherent, well-produced, and yet still possessed of that arcane beauty that Opeth conjures at their best.

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:47 am 

I recommend HowDisgusting's review of The Cult is Alive.

Falconsbane
Worthless troll

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:15 pm 

Peregrin wrote:
I recommend HowDisgusting's review of The Cult is Alive.

I'm kind of surprised. I decided to do a review of the new DarkThrone precisely because the first two reviews were so fucking bad.

Last edited by Falconsbane on Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:40 pm 

What? HowDisgusting's review was great. I think he managed to strike at the heart of the realities of Darkthrone's music versus how they're perceived by their fans.

Falconsbane
Worthless troll

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:58 pm 

OlympicSharpshooter wrote:
What? HowDisgusting's review was great. I think he managed to strike at the heart of the realities of Darkthrone's music versus how they're perceived by their fans.

How so? He's got two lengthy paragraphs of revisionist history and foppishly trendy allegations (he's only a "tr00 kvlt" and a Living Colour reference away from a perfect score in that portion of the program) held together by a single piece of evidence, from which all these specious conclusions are drawn. His whole argument hinges on chord progressions, which is absurd in the extreme. The range of chord progessions used within all of metal isn't particularly vast, and within the catalog of any band, you're going to find that certain progressions are fairly common. That's a given, and it's a complete non-issue. Beyond that, chord progressions alone can't even tell you whether one riff is fundamentally similar to another, much less get tell you something about larger structural or conceptual issues. "Canon in D" and "Streets of London" make use of the same progressions. Are they fundamentally similar in purpose or execution? Of course not, and neither are "Transilvanian Hunger" and "Shut Up".

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:32 pm 

His point remains that Darkthrone's music hasn't changed, merely their approach to it. Your review also highlights this point, and attacks the album because it operates within more earthbound and simplistic rock'n'roll concerns as opposed to (to quote your review) 'ideas of great complexity'. I don't see how, and I'm sure you'll correct me on this, your points differ wildly from his. Undoubtedly you consider the new release to be more of a betrayal and a let down than he does because you seem to have invested more in the band's classic releases than he has, but this seems to come down to a matter of perspectives.

I won't argue your criticisms of his review since you're obviously more well-versed in the genre than I am, but his review is a success in that it highlights a point about the album and supports it well. What it comes down to is that the new album isn't greatly different from their other works except in approach.

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:34 pm 

To Falco's credit, his own review of The Cult is Alive is also enjoyable.

Hell, it appears that negative reviews are as a rule of thumb generally more readable than positive ones...

Falconsbane
Worthless troll

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:05 pm 

His point remains that Darkthrone's music hasn't changed, merely their approach to it.

No, he argues that it hasn't changed at all when there has, in fact, been an enormous and fundamental shift in the outlook and execution of the band's music. He draws no distinction between their classic works and The Cult is Alive, when the only shared elements are basic technique and vocals. Yes, there are (some) familiar progressions here, and the riffs are constructed from a fast tremolo strum, but that's it. The riffs themselves are substantially different. Their classic material emphasized long, unresolved, melodic phrases, where The Cult is Alive, like all rock-based idiom (including recent releases from this band), emphasizes rhythmic impact through short phrases and abrupt, downpicked conclusions. It's not at all the same, even at a purely aesthetic level. My point was that many of the band's fans will consider this a significant departure from their recent work, which it isn't, or argue that the problems stem from being a hardcore rather than metal album (which misses the point).

My issue with his review stems from the fact that his analysis skips over some fairly obvious (to a careful, experienced listener) differences between the band's early 90s work and the current album, not as a means of providing commentary on the work in question, but to spuriously attack previous works (and fans thereof). It's the sort of Johnny come lately ignorance typified by Living Colour jokes, and it misses the real points entirely.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:29 pm 

I can respect that opinion. No further questions.

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:16 pm 

I recommend OSS' review of Morningrise... I smirked when joy when I saw him actually use the work "thesaurus-reader".

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:42 pm 

Peregrin wrote:
I recommend OSS' review of Morningrise... I smirked when joy when I saw him actually use the work "thesaurus-reader".

I'm indebted to you for coining such a pitch-perfect term.

Thamuz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:37 pm 

Falco, while your attention is on this thread can you explain what you mean by 'reversions' in your Necrophobic review?

HowDisgusting
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:33 pm 

Falconsbane wrote:

How so? He's got two lengthy paragraphs of revisionist history and foppishly trendy allegations (he's only a "tr00 kvlt" and a Living Colour reference away from a perfect score in that portion of the program) held together by a single piece of evidence, from which all these specious conclusions are drawn. His whole argument hinges on chord progressions, which is absurd in the extreme. The range of chord progessions used within all of metal isn't particularly vast, and within the catalog of any band, you're going to find that certain progressions are fairly common. That's a given, and it's a complete non-issue. Beyond that, chord progressions alone can't even tell you whether one riff is fundamentally similar to another, much less get tell you something about larger structural or conceptual issues. "Canon in D" and "Streets of London" make use of the same progressions. Are they fundamentally similar in purpose or execution? Of course not, and neither are "Transilvanian Hunger" and "Shut Up".

What revisionist history? Darkthrone ARE a couple of hippies, and they never did take the whole black metal thing seriously. I could provide a lot more evidence for this, but I didn't do so in the review to preserve space, and keep it from losing focus.

And my point was that all it takes to change a song's purpose and parameters from "Paragon Belial" to what's heard on the new album is a very minor tweak, and that the slacking of the band's creative standards over the last 12 years or so has all culminated in this release.

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:40 pm 

Peregrin wrote:

I'm indebted to you for coining such a pitch-perfect term.

How?

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:41 pm 

I dunno if you coined it or not actually, but you're the one who introduced the term 'thesaurus-reader' to me in regards to the really wordy underground metal folk.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 520  Next