Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
meshigene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:20 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
I'm frankly quite puzzled that anyone read that considering how unknown they seem to be.

I try to read most reviews by reviewers I like or at least seem to have similar tastes to, and the 0-59 score segment is particularly appealing to me, because who doesn't love a good roast. (And because there's already a bit too much music to check out to pay too much attention to the 80-100 one, haha.) No matter if I know or like the band that's being reviewed. Nothing to get puzzled at.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:32 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Bah! It's a magnificently crafted concept album up there with Pink Floyd's Time and Led Zep's Houses of the Unholy (give me a head start before y'all start pummeling me!).

It really is a tremendous step-up from the wacky debut, though, and any fan of harmony/melody (or Three's Company) owes it themself to check it out promptly.

(wry, shit-disturbing emoj here please!)

Why do your posts always read as though you are on the upswing of a manic episode?

Also I think you mean 'Houses of the Holy', which outside of "No Quarter", fucking sucks. 'Houses of the Unholy' by Church of Misery is fantastic however.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:56 pm 

zeingard wrote:
'Houses of the Holy', which outside of "No Quarter", fucking sucks.

Spoiler: show

And I love the way he writes them, it's a trip!

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:11 pm 

In answer to zeingard, I believe it's because I always end up funneling a build-up of fond enthusiasm for metal whereas my immediate physical entourage normally responds unkindly to any form of such related talk, even the level-headed, down-toned variety...as if any form of musical/literary wit, cleverness or erudition whatsoever is met with fierce resistance and general contumely (I earned that one)...In other words, it's an outlet of sorts but I realize now, out of mindful consideration and respect for fellow, perhaps not-quite-as-wound-up, metal-diggin' denizens, it might finally be (high) time I tone things down a notch, or two (or twelve)...and yeah, Church of Misery - notably HotU (!) - slayz...

Oh, btw, which of the two sounds better?

"Not to be mistaken for...", or "Not to be mistook for"...? I've been feeling crapulous over this all ever-lovin' day!

...just spotted leaf's latest for Vanik II...I'm torn, as I'm naturally looking forward to perusing it, whilst mildly enraged he slyly usurped one of my prime VRC earmarks! (on that note, I actually prefer the debut from 2016, but both releases kick ass in a Boulder/Midnight/Ohio power way).

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:52 am 

Quote:
Oh, btw, which of the two sounds better?

"Not to be mistaken for...", or "Not to be mistook for"...? I've been feeling crapulous over this all ever-lovin' day!

The passive infinitive requests the use of the past participle and not the simple past. The first sentence is grammatically correct, the second isn't.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:07 pm 

Er, that's what I figured initially, but thank you for the rather cryptic analogy as I wasn't hip to said golden rule...

In current affairs - and do I ever wish NausikaDalazBlindaz would pop her erudite, wickedly spoken shnozz into the Forum's Reviews Discussion feed from tyme to tyme - the Eagle Twin review invoked fond recollections of British horror upstart Adam Nevill's The Ritual (a friggin' genre classic if there ever was one) while tickling me crimson with the following NDB gem:

"On the opening track "Quanah un Rama", the musicians literally throw their thunderous weight around, kicking up huge mounds of earth with massive riffs hard enough to break a buffalo's leg, and swaggering about as if glad to throw off six years of heavy grass-munching rumination." (Hurrr...like a cranky and bad-tempered mule who just stepped upon a bent, rusty nail);

Ah, also just gleaned the Shining review by twisted_psychology and fondly shook my noggin' at the following humdinger of a sentence, slyly tucked in (as usual) amidst level-headed and officious feedback (the diametric opposite to my "manic upswing" style):

"It’s hard to remember the last time a man ever sounded this sexy while telling me to kill myself."

Cor!

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:35 am 

That Ministry review sucks.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:39 pm 

I was hoping for more from that review too. That album is definitely a honey pot for politicals to get them riled enough to write, but this first one is so vague that it really comes across like it's written by the edgy teenager he's ridiculing while, as his profile says, being a 46 year old male who seems a bit too hung up on 'legacy' and not enough on content. Granted, he's only written 25 reviews so I'm sure he'll work out the kinks if he wants to keep going, but this review feels like someone bullshitting a paper for class without having read the text.

I mean really: "The second problem is the lyrics. Holy fuck, I did not expect Al Jourgensen to write Poe or Mark Twain but even understanding this, these lyrics are painful to read, it's almost like a fifth grader defied his mother and watched Stephen Colbert then went to school on 6 hours sleep and said "Oh man, this guy is so cool. He insults the President!" and his friends are like "whoa... edgy!" when in reality the entire thing is less edgy than a bowling ball."

He could have actually used some lyrics as an example rather than imagining a situation, especially with such gems as this at his disposal:

"We’re not snowflakes we are the Antifa

Brown shirt little snowflakes never want to admit
Terrified of the red and black flag Antifa’s the shit"

I wish there was some effort put into describing the music, but I'm sure that such low hanging fruit as an an album called 'AmeriKKKant' will give us the same quality discussion that 'Conformicide' brought us last year.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:06 pm 

Nothing to say about the music, I can describe it in one and a half sentences: "What happens if you take Mike Scaccia out of the Bush trilogy? This happens." It's Houses of the Molé without riffs (now I described it in half a sentence), what do you want to write about it?

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:57 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Nothing to say about the music, I can describe it in one and a half sentences: "What happens if you take Mike Scaccia out of the Bush trilogy? This happens." It's Houses of the Molé without riffs (now I described it in half a sentence), what do you want to write about it?

Yeah that's exactly it. The reviewer isn't at all wrong about the album's quality (nor is he wrong in his review for the Antifa single in that regard), AmeriKKKant is easily one of the worst albums I've heard in several years. I tried reviewing it myself at one point (and would have scored it even lower than he did) but sitting through it one time was so fucking painful that I couldn't muster a repeat listen to make sure my musical description was apt. It's that bad. The reviewer didn't do that though, he mostly just vaguely complained about how it's bad and stupid and tried to veil his political sympathies but showed his hand by invoking the oh-so-clever "NPC" insult near the end (his review for the single is even worse in that regard), which kinda taints his review as it makes him seem kinda butthurt about the topic itself. He could've remained neutral and the review would have been equally ineffective, but that certainly knocks it down a peg. AmeriKKKant is low hanging fruit and a really easy album to trash, but he whiffed on tearing apart what is easily the worst album of the year. Really not a good sign.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:18 pm 

Five_Nails wrote:
'Conformicide' brought us last year.

It just dawned on me... I have yet to listen to this.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:37 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Five_Nails wrote:
'Conformicide' brought us last year.

It just dawned on me... I have yet to listen to this.

#wakeupsheeple

But yeah, there's nothing I love more than seeing nostalgic Gen Xer's get whiny about how political Ministry is these days...

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:24 pm 

So, your solo acoustic project is really named "Christophersteve"? Interesting. (that's you on the bandcamp page, right?).
Sorry to hear SD is breaking up but i suppose it's preferable to sit tight on a few solid releases, then move on to other things/projects/ventures if need be...

Oh, Metantoine, those new Flight band pics are quite snazzy...

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:36 pm 

His solo acoustic album is EXTREMELY depressing, don't listen to it in the wrong setting. Good stuff though, I actually just ordered a copy the other day.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:56 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
AmeriKKKant is easily one of the worst albums I've heard in several years. I tried reviewing it myself at one point (and would have scored it even lower than he did) but sitting through it one time was so fucking painful that I couldn't muster a repeat listen to make sure my musical description was apt. It's that bad.

That's really unfortunate because I really enjoy reading your reviews, especially on stuff that you don't like.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:40 am 

MikeyC wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
AmeriKKKant is easily one of the worst albums I've heard in several years. I tried reviewing it myself at one point (and would have scored it even lower than he did) but sitting through it one time was so fucking painful that I couldn't muster a repeat listen to make sure my musical description was apt. It's that bad.

That's really unfortunate because I really enjoy reading your reviews, especially on stuff that you don't like.

I second this. It must be done, BH.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:22 pm 

andreipianoman just wrote the gospel on what the latest At the Gates sounds like. Just find it funny that it took a guy who had never listened to ATG before to point out how basic that album is.

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:26 pm 

Human666 wrote:
The reason why many people fall into this trap, of hailing something that they don't really care about and has no real value for them, is the false assumption that by doing so they raise their value in the eyes of those who lead the horde. That's a common sheep thinking, and trust me fellas, you don't want to be a sheep!

In the Nightside Eclipse doesn't deserves to be hailed as a classic. In fact, given it's utterly vague content, it doesn't deserves to be discussed at all.

Proceeds to write seven more paragraphs about how much 'In the Nightside Eclipse' sucks

Very edgy, no wool in those eyes at all about the world, he and Demiror_Moritur would make great friends.

Human666 wrote:
no one need to force himself

The guitars, which are the backbone of this genre, has

it's too loud and overpower everything else

One of the major reason why this album suck so bad

made me think this album actually going to reach

arrays of indecipherable shrieks that doesn't add much

He has it right though, "you can't repeat the same idea 8 times and stretch it for 48 minutes without end up being dull", kind of like what this sad piece of trolling did in barely 8 paragraphs. Human666 and Demiror_Moritur have a lot more in common than one would expect at a glance. They're stark individuals, just like everybody else.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:57 pm 

Human666 has been a banned forum-goer for years. Troll + racism will do that. Still keeps chasing that dream of writing terrible reviews after all this time.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:02 pm 

Yeah, I remember the thread that got him banned :lol:. Kind of sad that he hasn't moved on and still lurks around just to troll like this, but hey, if that's what makes him happy, who am I to judge? :lol:

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:20 pm 

Yeah, can someone teach Human666 how to use 3rd person? Who approved that? Sloppy!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:41 pm 

Former chat regular nihq once wrote a perfect negative review for the album that highlighted exactly what is wrong with the album, but I can't find any trace of it, not even a "deleted his own review" in the update history. Maybe some day someone else with a grasp of music theory and the English language who doesn't like the album will come along, Human666 is well-known to have no grasp of anything.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:10 pm 

Holy defensive opinions, Batman!

On an unrelated note, that stretch of Dimmu Borgir reviews that popped up recently were decently written. Took me a minute to realize they'd been written by two different people.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:36 pm 

To each their own opinion, but having been around when Emperor's debut came out (and the ensuing stream of reviews showing clear awareness of what a hallmark for the genre that album was), reading Human666's review just gave me a bad and completely unnecessary headache.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:44 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
Yeah, can someone teach Human666 how to use 3rd person? Who approved that? Sloppy!

I did, and the errors have been corrected.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:46 pm 

Derigin wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

I did, and the errors have been corrected.

You're doing the gods' work there. Granted, I went into that review immediately biased expecting to see someone either absolutely hating or absolutely loving the album. That's usually what you get with classic black metal album reviews, but nothing was more grating about it than the abundant syntax errors. A well-spoken edgy kid is still miles ahead of the Crappy Deim trolls that get posted in that forum and that guy's opinions hold water in enough ways, they're just hampered by far too many angry polemics to really seem like a level-headed listen.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:

I like that dig because it may have seemed like I was defending 'In the Nightside Eclipse' without writing my own response as a review, and don't get me wrong I grew to love that album and found it at the right time for myself back in the day, but it's nothing I'm up for tackling right now. I haven't listened to it at all in a long time, but I'll try it again with this great speaker system I have now.

When I brought this piece up today I was mainly railing at that reviewer for being such an obvious stereotype contrarian with no unique points to make while the reviewer also claimed to be the 'wolf among the flock', a hypocrisy that is all too obvious when the exact same thing has been going on with another writer who absolutely blows this one out of the water while on his own petty personal vendetta. As half of the output one has to bring to the table for the year, that thoughtless review and its numerous errors left much to be desired in the least, but I'm sure you'll understand that sentiment when I take on your metal-archives catalogue during the review challenge Twisted_Psychology. :tongue:

By the way the cover for your latest Spirit Division album, 'Forgotten Planet', is nasty. That's part of my rolling album cover desktop background I've recently set up. It was pretty limiting sitting on one album cover at a time when there is so much good artwork that I like to see after all the windows close. This cover is balanced enough and plenty detailed for me to enjoy on this rotation, so many tightly controlled slices and striations like a planet under total control, it has me imagining that dystopian vision of Krypton in the new (a few years ago) Superman movie, kudos.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:36 am 

Five_Nails wrote:
By the way the cover for your latest Spirit Division album, 'Forgotten Planet', is nasty.

I've never heard 'nasty' used in a positive sense before. This is officially as disappointing as finding my first grey hair was.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:01 am 

Five_Nails wrote:

I like that dig because it may have seemed like I was defending 'In the Nightside Eclipse' without writing my own response as a review, and don't get me wrong I grew to love that album and found it at the right time for myself back in the day, but it's nothing I'm up for tackling right now. I haven't listened to it at all in a long time, but I'll try it again with this great speaker system I have now.

When I brought this piece up today I was mainly railing at that reviewer for being such an obvious stereotype contrarian with no unique points to make while the reviewer also claimed to be the 'wolf among the flock', a hypocrisy that is all too obvious when the exact same thing has been going on with another writer who absolutely blows this one out of the water while on his own petty personal vendetta. As half of the output one has to bring to the table for the year, that thoughtless review and its numerous errors left much to be desired in the least, but I'm sure you'll understand that sentiment when I take on your metal-archives catalogue during the review challenge Twisted_Psychology. :tongue:

By the way the cover for your latest Spirit Division album, 'Forgotten Planet', is nasty. That's part of my rolling album cover desktop background I've recently set up. It was pretty limiting sitting on one album cover at a time when there is so much good artwork that I like to see after all the windows close. This cover is balanced enough and plenty detailed for me to enjoy on this rotation, so many tightly controlled slices and striations like a planet under total control, it has me imagining that dystopian vision of Krypton in the new (a few years ago) Superman movie, kudos.

Sorry, I should've clarified I meant that the original review itself was defensive. I hate those reviews with the opening paragraph where they feel the need to elaborately defend their super "controversial" opinion. It just reflects the actual review's lack of substance. From my experience, people are more accepting of alternate takes if the writer doesn't make such a big deal out of it.

Also glad you like the Forgotten Planet artwork! I'm quite proud of all our album artwork and I think that one was our best design. Our guitarist designed the whole layout and he was very particular about getting the details right. I'm always excited to see Spirit Division coverage no matter what rating it gets so I'll look forward to seeing that!

Also, if you're looking for ideas for the Virgin Review challenge, might I also suggest the demo that my college band Psychic Faith put out in 2011. It's pretty rough.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:12 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
I've never heard 'nasty' used in a positive sense before.

I always use that in a positive sense.

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:53 am 

Five_Nails wrote:

All kinds of shit.

Sorry, I should've clarified I meant that the original review itself was defensive. I hate those reviews with the opening paragraph where they feel the need to elaborately defend their super "controversial" opinion. It just reflects the actual review's lack of substance. From my experience, people are more accepting of alternate takes if the writer doesn't make such a big deal out of it.

Also glad you like the Forgotten Planet artwork! I'm quite proud of all our album artwork and I think that one was our best design. Our guitarist designed the whole layout and he was very particular about getting the details right. I'm always excited to see Spirit Division coverage no matter what rating it gets so I'll look forward to seeing that!

Also, if you're looking for ideas for the Virgin Review challenge, might I also suggest the demo that my college band Psychic Faith put out in 2011. It's pretty rough.

Alright, I get what you mean lol, also you seem really into the old traditional metal and acid rock sound like Deep Purple and King Crimson. You may like Dave Rabbit, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtuueqJkgjA the guy was a radio legend in Vietnam doing an underground show that took over a military frequency while broadcasting from a backroom in a bordello on all kinds of acid and coke. He dropped some gems like "fighting for someone else's freedom is like fuck for someone else's virginity" and had a symbol that was popular with some units.
Spoiler: show

I was wondering with the newest demo, that Lavaborne artwork looks like the little emo Mexican demon is holding either an angry beheaded Klansman or Metapod geishaed out with bukkake. I'm not sure what to make of what's in his hands (the two that aren't gripping a heart and spewing from his mouth). That is another awesome album art so it's part of my new rotation too, but I'm just confused as to what the hell that is. Do demons lay hatred eggs?

Gasmask_Colostomy wrote:
I've never heard 'nasty' used in a positive sense before.

Generally enhanced by the words 'man' or 'dude', nasty is the stoner's way to positively exemplify intricacy without going into any detail when discovering it within an unusual form of art.

Example: Fractals man, they're nasty.

Last edited by ~Guest 135946 on Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:59 am 

Five_Nails wrote:
I was wondering with the newest demo, that Lavaborne artwork looks like the little emo Mexican demon is holding either an angry beheaded Klansman or Metapod geishaed out with bukkake. I'm not sure what to make of what's in his hands (the two that aren't gripping a heart and spewing from his mouth). That is another awesome album art so it's part of my new rotation too, but I'm just confused as to what the hell that is. Do demons lay hatred eggs?

And this is my new favorite description for anything I've ever made. The art is supposed to be a demon tearing his chest open to reveal another demon inside him, but I drew that in high school about eleven or twelve years ago. My art skills were incredibly crude then and likely even worse now, but it suited a crappy demo. I assure you our album will have a much more proper design by somebody else.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:15 pm 

Also I'm not a both sides kind of guy by any means, but does every Neckbeard Deathcamp review have to be terrible?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:23 pm 

Just wait until after MDF and more people have heard of them. :ugh:

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:27 pm 

Gone before I could even read it.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:48 pm 

Also I'm not a both sides kind of guy by any means, but does every Neckbeard Deathcamp review have to be terrible?

Hm, probably would be a positive review or two if the music wasn't just bargain bin poop that got a lot of attention because of the lyrics and theme.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:24 pm 

I meant terrible as in terribly written. The 100% review that was up for ten seconds today was straight up trash.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:27 pm 

I meant terrible as in terribly written. The 100% review that was up for ten seconds today was straight up trash.

What was it like? Didn't catch that...

NoSoup4you22
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:18 am 

I like Soilwork, but that album's rhythm tone sucked ass, they didn't get a competent guitar soloist until they hired the guy from Scarve, and Bjorn is ten times better as a vocalist now than he was back then.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:40 am 

Twisted_Psychology gives the new Metal Church 84%, while saying that it's "serviceable" and (according to the last line) doesn't stand out. I think we found Santa giving out early presents!

Although to balance that, Edmund Sackbauer did an excellent job explaining why this year's Drawn and Quartered will kick your ass, and didn't fail to mention the incredible artwork.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:27 am 

Who the hell would give Crimson an 11% rating? Human666, that's who.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 365, 366, 367, 368, 369, 370, 371 ... 520  Next