Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:34 pm 

@ Chairthrower, indeed, we should do this quickly :-)

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:09 pm 

As speedy as the band, say! While I get myself in gear, sample

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... all/192699

Sounds quite auspicious!

I'm still reeling from the conclusion to your DN review;

I also dug this metaphor:

"Heavy Steeler, the head of Diabolic Night, is also a great cocktail mixer behind the counter of a decrepit den of thieves where old school metal rules the whole night long."...

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:07 pm 

Wicked Plasmatics review for Metal Priestess, Cat III!

I'd heard of them vaguely, obviously knew of Wendy O., but never knew what a great and auspicious EP that was...am rocking out to them as we seek!

Recently, have been also digging Sacred Few, of which I find the Demo and earlier single verily bring the animal house down *that said, its unique full-length is quite good, too, but nothing comparable to the kick ass likes of its namesake track, ferinstance.

Another chill woman fronted band, aside from Molten Chains and Savage Master, is HESS, from Argentina, with its recent sophomore, Harpokrates (yeah, yeah, I know, trite Egyptological tropes and all that...).

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:42 am 

Thank you, Monsieur Thrower. I hoped my discography review would open some eyes to the awesomeness of the Plasmatics. They're not unheard of nor fanless, but their profile has waned to peanuts of what it once was, especially in metal circles.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:30 pm 

Have you dug any Master Savage, er, I mean Savage (haberdasher) Master, yet? WoW's feral, lascivious cahzs - along with the Sacred Few succubus' - preemptively invoke the former's Stacey Peak aka Savage...ahead is a helluva shitkicking sampler in (the FL debut's) Ripper In Black, not to mention one of top 3 preferred S (&) M cuts - Myth Magic and Steel proper, as well as tie for Dark Light of the Moon/Path of the Necromancer, are the remainder - even though the following sophomore verily kicks its butt back to the furnace room, where Freddie hangs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x2HjaQN-i8

That chorus..."WoWie!"

The solo, alongside post-solo bridge bass line/return to disingenuously evil & psycho refrain/torn form is knavish, too!

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:04 am 

Yeah, I first became aware of them when they were interviewed by Reaper Metal Productions (formerly Heavy Metal Relics). Good stuff--classic early 80s metal with rough edges, though I haven't dived deep into their work. Seems like they got a good stage show going for them as well.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:06 am 

Ah, you'll dig Cleveland's long defunct one-off master vituperate-r Sacred Few, then - particularly the 1984 four track demo; its production sees the plumply caroming bass practcally usurp, or Trump, the guitar(s)...Mind their now plus middle aged Sandy Krueger cameoed on Savage M.'s ineluctable and rivetingly fashionable "Lady of Steel", alongside Lady Beast's magnificent Deborah Levine, of course.

Btw, are you hip to War Dogs? It's vying for my next (rare) 100%er with its Croak by my Blade full-length (super duper humdinger!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V4KxCi7jt8

More exciting than The (Religious) Crusades, even!

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:37 pm 

Chair, like all of your reviews, that Haunt review was quite an adventure to get through. But I dig it, and agree (I think... sometimes I can't tell, lol).

Also, damn! You're all really ripping apart these new Ozzy songs :lol:

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:39 pm 

Thank you, humbly and double duly, for Haunt gleaning...Ah, Black Sites, I'd waylaid them up until just now...I should dp a review for them also, but first I've one today that's carbonized, for a long time running now, on the proverbial, stainless steel backburner...it's a synonym for Hell - that is, the band's name, a cinammon for Hades, mmmyes?

Have you heard the new Chiens de Guerre_Meurs Par Mon Glaive!, yet? Positively rivetin'!

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:41 pm 

Black Sites was my favorite album of 2019. Definitely would love to see your take on it.

BuriedUnborn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:53 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:

I swear I can write a book explaining why Ordinary Man is so awful. My review doesn't make the awfulness of the song enough justice.

Moshing: Dancing like a madman, perpetrating a frantic and violent dance which consists in jumping and whipping your body against other brainless idiots until you enter an irrational and brutal pyramid of pleasure.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:14 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Chair, like all of your reviews, that Haunt review was quite an adventure to get through. But I dig it, and agree (I think... sometimes I can't tell, lol).

I keep clinging to this bizarre hope that Ozzy will get his shit together for one last hurrah before he either keels over or strokes out to the point that he can't sing anymore, pretty stupid considering I haven't really liked much of what he's done since No More Tears. I'm not expecting another Blizzard Of Ozz or even a Bark At The Moon, but he could have at least had the common courtesy of incorporating Zakk Wylde into this venture rather than this stupid super-group approach. I'm waiting to see if Ozzy's next single is a duet with Taylor Swift. lol
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:48 pm 

What's going on with this Ozzy character?! Why is he so fucked up? His son, Jack, at least, digs Electric Wiz-ahd; well, he did around the early noughties (00s) whence he picked their self-title debut and Dopethrone at a record shop, saying it was great shit!

Here is a belated Holiday yarn I meant to share, alongside Kuenring's "Rock Around the Xmas Tree" (with B side "Santa Cock"):

https://lordsofthetrident.bandcamp.com/ ... utty-santa

(can anyone jolt down a coy & ribald emoj for me, s.v.p.?)

p.s down 4 a black sites review but need to seriously re cramm back into cakehole for that...soon though!

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:53 am 

You all make good points, I haven't really liked much since No More Tears either. But I actually did enjoy the Elton John duet. None of the others much, though.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:24 pm 

Hand it to Lord of Diamonds, I actually liked that review of Helmet's Strap It On. It focuses on the music, and though the band and its context in the musical scene is discussed, the subject isn't harped on to the detriment of the review.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:29 pm 

Cat III wrote:
Hand it to Lord of Diamonds, I actually liked that review of Helmet's Strap It On. It focuses on the music, and though the band and its context in the musical scene is discussed, the subject isn't harped on to the detriment of the review.

For some reason, LoD really happens to know his Helmet. He reviewed Meantime a while back too. There's a comparative comment I really want to make, but I'll hold myself back owing to his good form.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:09 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
For some reason, LoD really happens to know his Helmet.

I'd imagine most men do.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:10 pm 

droneriot wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Hell droneriot's series of ten perfect albums is what convinced me to give Winter a shot.

Part two aka "Ten more of the best metal albums, parts 11-20" has been in development in the back of my head ever since. One day.

A few candidates are:

Incantation - Onward to Golgotha
Nuclear Death - All Creatures Great & Eaten
Darkthrone - Soulside Journey
Reverend Kriss Hades - Paganini, Bloodlust, Static Age
Beherit - The Oath of Black Blood
Prophecy of Doom - Matrix
Molested - Blod-draum
Morbid Angel - Formulas Fatal to the Flesh
Havohej - Kembatinan Premaster

But nothing written in stone yet.

New addition: Flames of Hell - Fire and Steel. Always loved this album but lately I start to get really obsessive about it.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:31 pm 

That Burzum review is trying too way hard to be funny. Like somebody saying "Hey, I'm just joshing you" every ten seconds of a five minute conversation.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:53 pm 

What you never read an EvilAllen review before?

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:56 pm 

Yikes... I could barely get through the first paragraph.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:48 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:
For some reason, LoD really happens to know his Helmet.

I'd imagine most men do.

Indeed this was the source of the other pun I didn't make. I guess the band have got used to these jokes by now, but they're still funny to casual fans :lol:

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:57 am 

droneriot wrote:
What you never read an EvilAllen review before?

I suppose it's been a while. I might have to keep it that way. I have a bad habit of following writers that I probably shouldn't just to see if they'll get better.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:12 pm 

Paramount, is it to find a viable and none-too-strenuous or exhaustive balance of "listening for the sake of enjoyment vs. listening for reviewal's sake (not the beverage)" - where analytic fixation impedes said joyous leisure; after whence, one requires a safe as well as sanguine ratio(n) of "listening to music for the review vs. the writing, and neurotic editing of such opinion/(dis)favor or neutrality".

Eh? (Do what now?!)

(Chair's immutable "Minstrels' Index Law", just proffered in a rare moment of galaxy-(hair)-brained, deep though intuition)

Also, nice, introspective and observant ice breaker from a fellow (American) metal minstrel soliciting Guild adherence for what all started it in terms of Haunt and W.Church, alongside its rapid, stellar rise, Luminous Eyes EP touchback by I Lunaris I.

You got it! (Duly granted, kid.)

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:49 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Paramount, is it to find a viable and none-too-strenuous or exhaustive balance of "listening for the sake of enjoyment vs. listening for reviewal's sake (not the beverage)" - where analytic fixation impedes said joyous leisure; after whence, one requires a safe as well as sanguine ratio(n) of "listening to music for the review vs. the writing, and neurotic editing of such opinion/(dis)favor or neutrality".

You’re right. I’ve fallen foul of it, hence why I’m on a break.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:05 am 

You know it!

I've come to believe anything more than 21, or maybe upwards of 15, write-ups in a month risks fucking up said non-committal intake ratio, or triple summat...

By the way, gaz, my folks sojourn their Winters in Alicante, Spain (a lifetime of Quebec winters gets old, after all); hence, I'm thrilled beyond words my next (and decidedly rarer than a harpy eagle ) perfectly scored/rated album - for, um, both total enjoyment as well as nerdily entrenched (sagacious), analytical extirpation, (summat!) - is for War Dogz and its downright fantastic Die By My Sword nitro infused cocktail of a rocket fueled debut pull-length, following an admittedly tepid self-titled EP from a while back, there...Hopefully, you get the tube where you're teaching or lounging...(peruse "NWOTHM", he of the raised, spiked metal fist).

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:29 am 

Additionally, I dug Ed Sackbauer's recent review for Candles & Wraiths, as symphonic black metal does have its charms, amulet notwithstanding...He'll certainly dig Larry's here review for Dialith's stellar Extinction Six:

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 990/330688

To all 3 - Ed, Larry and Dialith, chapeau!

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:20 am 

JackofAllBlades' review of Behemoth's ILYAYD is a great example of how to make personal fanboyism understandable to others, good job. I wouldn't give said album such an enormously high rating myself, but I can see his point perfectly.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:55 am 

Superchard's point about Symbolic being a thrash album is really interesting, but I think the review suffers a lot because of the fact that such a claim is simply not true.

Aside from the increasingly progressive songwriting style, slightly more melodic musical approach, and higher-pitched growling, there really isn't very much that sets Symbolic apart from Spiritual Healing. It has all the hallmarks of a classic death metal record but was just a fresher perspective on the same thing Death had been doing for the last seven years.

I don't like Superchard very much.

EDIT: I do appreciate the omission of "Superchard gets super hard for..."

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:10 pm 

Well I never thought that being a poor man's Atheist was a fresh perspective, but I like the stuff anyways because there's a lack of the early Atheist style in general, even if it's a poor man's version.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:45 pm 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
Superchard's point about Symbolic being a thrash album is really interesting, but I think the review suffers a lot because of the fact that such a claim is simply not true.

A real weird review, especially considering he admits he got that from a WatchMojo list of all places. He says of WM, "Props for throwing in a curve ball", but list mills generally sneak in one or two unusual or semi-obscure picks so their choices don't reek of trawling Wikipedia or lists from other, more knowledgeable sources.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
That Burzum review is trying too way hard to be funny. Like somebody saying "Hey, I'm just joshing you" every ten seconds of a five minute conversation.

Christ, what a mess. At least, when I start to feel any of my reviews are too digressive, prolix or cheesy, I'll know I could be doing worse.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:57 pm 

Cat III wrote:
A real weird review, especially considering he admits he got that from a WatchMojo list of all places. He says of WM, "Props for throwing in a curve ball", but list mills generally sneak in one or two unusual or semi-obscure picks so their choices don't reek of trawling Wikipedia or lists from other, more knowledgeable sources.

I think I may have publicly declared a few times that I wasn't going to be bothering with Supertard's reviews after his royally idiotic take on Dio's 80s albums, but out of sheer curiosity after seeing Ezra's post here I decided to skim through it, I'm definitely renewing my boycott of his material, I don't really like to rely too heavily on secondary sources for reviews unless I think it's heavily warranted, but relying on WatchMojo for throwing in some goofy argument about Symbolic being a thrash metal album (calling it a progressive melodeath album might make more sense, though I still would say that the melodic elements are more peripheral than they are foundation-based) is really awkward.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:51 pm 

Lol. I remember watching that Watchmojo video like a year ago. I was super confused when I saw Death was included on a thrash metal list.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:15 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
...but relying on WatchMojo for throwing in some goofy argument about Symbolic being a thrash metal album (calling it a progressive melodeath album might make more sense, though I still would say that the melodic elements are more peripheral than they are foundation-based) is really awkward.

Imagine thinking that WatchMojo held the ultimate authority on metal and the categorization of its subgenres.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:17 pm 

Nice, in-depth Artillery review, Marco!

By Inheritance is now officially on the must-hear list...(autothrall's rare bit of hyperbolic elation in its storied regard is also a treat!)

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:22 pm 

I have a grammatical dilemma of the first (World) order...in the following sentence, from my WOLF_Wolf review (*howl*!) am unsure how to conjugate the word "run":

"Not until secondary guitarists Johan "Blade" Bülow and Johannes Axeman successively ran with the pack at the advent of Black Wings and Flame, in '02 and '06, did Wolf entail a twin-axed quartet good n' proper;";

Should it be "not until...ran with the pack", or "not until...run with the pack"?

For some reason, I can't sort it out. I need another party's eagle eye view for this, s.v.p. (Please and thank you, it's for a good, ahem, wolf cauze!)

*So, who's in for writing up FtM on 03/13th? I know gas is, assuredly...but we should all go buck wild on this one methinks, along with the new Ambush, Infidel, incidentally, due on the exact same day!

(Anybody know when Witchtower's Over the Top is due? Let's hope White Wizzard eschews a hissy fit!)

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:11 pm 

You should use ''ran'' in your sentence.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:36 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
I have a grammatical dilemma of the first (World) order...in the following sentence, from my WOLF_Wolf review (*howl*!) am unsure how to conjugate the word "run"

*So, who's in for writing up FtM on 03/13th? I know gas is, assuredly...but we should all go buck wild on this one methinks, along with the new Ambush, Infidel, incidentally, due on the exact same day!

I agree with Kluseba about using 'ran'.

I'll be at home when Feed the Machine drops, so I'll be able to pick it up fairly quickly; however, that's also the day after an 18 hour plane journey, so I might sit on it for a while...

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:30 am 

Thanks for the wisdom, lads! (Ha, I don't even need to amend it.)

Not to woof unduly (same as self-horn tootin'), but I just plunked down another canine dirge, there, with the full repast due in tomorrow sometime as I'm barked out. What a scurrilous write-up. Jenga with words, phrases and paragraphs!! (I prevailed through it all, finally...)

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:26 pm 

Never thought I'd see the day hells_unicorn defending what is by all accounts a foremost release in one of metal's most commercial, modern and formulaic strains.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 406, 407, 408, 409, 410, 411, 412 ... 520  Next